PDA

View Full Version : Gaddafi's Next Move: Sabotage Oil and Sow Chaos?

Gingersnap
02-23-2011, 11:37 AM
Gaddafi's Next Move: Sabotage Oil and Sow Chaos?
By Robert Baer Tuesday, Feb. 22, 2011

http://i54.tinypic.com/mcaz5l.jpg
Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi
Ismail Zitouny / Reuters

There's been virtually no reliable information coming out of Tripoli, but a source close to the Gaddafi regime I did manage to get hold of told me the already terrible situation in Libya will get much worse. Among other things, Gaddafi has ordered security services to start sabotaging oil facilities. They will start by blowing up several oil pipelines, cutting off flow to Mediterranean ports. The sabotage, according to the insider, is meant to serve as a message to Libya's rebellious tribes: It's either me or chaos.

Two weeks ago this same man had told me the uprisings in Tunisia and Egypt would never touch Libya. Gaddafi, he said, had a tight lock on all of the major tribes, the same ones that have kept him in power for the past 41 years. The man of course turned out to be wrong, and everything he now has to say about Gaddafi's intentions needs to be taken in that context. (See "The Rule of Libya's Colonel Gaddafi.")

The source went on and told me that Gaddafi's desperation has a lot to with the fact that he now can only count on the loyalty of his tribe, the Qadhadhfa. And as for the army, as of Monday he only has the loyalty of approximately 5,000 troops. They are his elite forces, the officers all handpicked. Among them is the unit commanded by his second youngest son Khamis, the 32nd Brigade. (The total strength of the regular Libyan army is 45,000.)

My Libyan source said that Gaddafi has told people around him that he knows he cannot retake Libya with the forces he has. But what he can do is make the rebellious tribes and army officers regret their disloyalty, turning Libya into another Somalia. "I have the money and arms to fight for a long time," Gaddafi reportedly said.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2052961,00.html#ixzz1EnhcRAyd

Arroyo_Doble
02-23-2011, 12:06 PM
Ah. I was wondering why gas went up 15c a gallon over night at my local QT.

lacarnut
02-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Ah. I was wondering why gas went up 15c a gallon over night at my local QT.

Now you know & this will not be the last increase you will see. Retailers sell their gasoline not based on current costs plus a few cents profit but what they perceive the next refill load will be.

If Gaddafi starts torching wells and pipelines, $5 gas will become a reality.

Arroyo_Doble
02-23-2011, 01:43 PM
Now you know & this will not be the last increase you will see. Retailers sell their gasoline not based on current costs plus a few cents profit but what they perceive the next refill load will be.

If that occurs, people will stop buying as much of it. $4 saw a drop in demand that surprised me.

Madisonian
02-23-2011, 02:33 PM

Sold off my Ford stock a few weeks ago around $17. Now down to $14.50 +/-.
Gas goes to $5 a gallon, dump out of the auto stocks quickly.

Novaheart
02-23-2011, 02:43 PM
If that occurs, people will stop buying as much of it. $4 saw a drop in demand that surprised me.

It was pretty amazing around here, and the ripple effect as well I would imagine.

When gas went to $4, Gulf Blvd was a ghost town. Walmart's parking lot was bare. Kmart finally locked their doors, though that may have been in the works. Beach motels started advertising residential rates.

lacarnut
02-23-2011, 02:44 PM

Good. There will be fewer of these lazy unemployed low riding boom box punks driving around.

Novaheart
02-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Good. There will be fewer of these lazy unemployed low riding boom box punks driving around.

The problem with that is that those people typically are hourly wage employees who will continue to pay the price for recreational gasoline, pulling the money out of their other discretionary spending. So instead of Joe's Pizza getting the money, Exxon gets it. Now whom do you consider to be the better recipient of that money?

lacarnut
02-23-2011, 03:08 PM

If gas goes that high, the stock market will take a hit. High energy costs will cause inflation to ramp up.

Bailey
02-23-2011, 03:17 PM

So I guess you made only 51 dollars on your sale of 3 shares of stock?

noonwitch
02-23-2011, 03:43 PM
Quaddaffi is not going to come through this one alive, I suspect. He had the Libyan military shooting protestors from their planes. Shooting protestors to stop a rebellion/revolution only works in China.

lacarnut
02-23-2011, 03:58 PM
The problem with that is that those people typically are hourly wage employees who will continue to pay the price for recreational gasoline, pulling the money out of their other discretionary spending. So instead of Joe's Pizza getting the money, Exxon gets it. Now whom do you consider to be the better recipient of that money?

The ROOT of the problem is that we have politicians who are anti-drilling. Obummer has not allowed any new permits for drilling in the Gulf even though the courts have ordered him to do so. Problem number 2 is that Env. nuts block new drilling, new refineries, new nuke plants, new coal plants. Problem number 3 is the idea that greenie energy will reduce the amount of electricity by 80% in 25 years (which Obaman stated) is a joke. Windmills will double and triple the cost of electricity (per projected cost in MA). Ethanol takes almost a gallon of fuel to make a gallon of fuel and is a heavy polluter while cooking the corn. Millions will starve because of this stupidity. Problem number 4 is that when gas prices drop, as they will after this run up in price, our morons in DC seem to forget about the urgency for energy in-dependency. Problem number 5 is that clean burning energy like natural gas is a dirty word to these Democratic idiots. We have enough natural gas to meet ALL of our energy needs. Take the subsidy funds used on stupid shit like solar, ethanol, wind to fund natural gas infrastructure and our problems are solved.

My advise to an hourly wage worker is to educate himself or herself on the irrational policies of the current administration and vote them out of office. This country has enough oil, gas and coal to reverse the trend on dependence on foreign oil. Obama is a liar when he said he would be in favor of building them while campaigning

Exxon makes more of their profits on foreign investments than they do in the USA. Rather than bashing the oil companies, dumb ass democrats should do everything to encourage new production at home. Some of those rigs that were shut down in the Gulf of Mexico have been moved to Latin America. The ignoramus in the WH has even approved loans to oil companies in Mexico thru the World Bank. This guy's energy policy is worse than Jimmy Carter.

Exxon employs tens of thousands of good paying jobs in the US, and kicks in billions in the treasury in taxes. So, I am going side with Exxon over Joe's Pizza parlor. Joe's Pizza drivers will just have to get a motor scooter or bike for delivery rather than a gas guzzler that get 10mpg.

Madisonian
02-23-2011, 05:28 PM

Well it was a few more than 3 shares and I bought in at less than $3 per share.
Didn't make enough for an early retirement, but it will make retirement a whole lot nicer.:D

Zathras
02-23-2011, 08:44 PM
Quaddaffi is not going to come through this one alive, I suspect. He had the Libyan military shooting protestors from their planes. Shooting protestors to stop a rebellion/revolution only works in China.

Yeah...in this case it's costing the Libyan Air Force aircraft as the crews are bailing out of their planes and letting them crash instead of attacking the protestors....

Libyan pilot refuses orders to bomb city

A Libyan air force jet has reportedly crashed near Benghazi after its crew bailed out after refusing to bomb the city. According to Libya’s Quryna newspaper quoting a military source, the two pilots landed safely by parachute some 160 kilometres from the city.

http://www.euronews.net/2011/02/23/libyan-pilot-refuses-orders-to-bomb-city/

Madisonian
02-23-2011, 08:49 PM

Let me guess.
You bought GM @ $20 before the bailout when it was thought it couldn't get much lower.
Don't feel alone. Millions lost their ass on GM (well except for the UAW workers) and if their recent downfall in stock price is any indication, there is still more blood to flow for them.

noonwitch
02-24-2011, 11:23 AM
Yeah...in this case it's costing the Libyan Air Force aircraft as the crews are bailing out of their planes and letting them crash instead of attacking the protestors....

http://www.euronews.net/2011/02/23/libyan-pilot-refuses-orders-to-bomb-city/

Good for them. The Soviet Army wouldn't fire on protestors, either, and it led to the end of the USSR.