PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma Police Captain Faces Disciplinary Action for Refusing to Attend Islamic Even

megimoo
02-24-2011, 01:07 AM
The Tulsa Police Deptartment is investigating a captain who refused an order to assign officers to attend an upcoming Islamic event because he said it would violate his religious beliefs.

Capt. Paul Fields was reassigned after he refused to order officers under his command to attend the Islamic Center of Tulsa’s Law Enforcement Appreciation Day
(Snip)
“It is my opinion and that of my legal counsel that forcing me to enter a Mosque when it is not directly related to a police call for service is a violation of my Civil Rights,” Fields wrote in an internal police department memo obtained by Fox News.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/02/23/oklahoma-police-captain-refuses-attend-islamic-event/?test=latestnews

Rockntractor
02-24-2011, 01:14 AM
Actually he's suing the department for one dollar.

TULSA, Oklahoma -- A Tulsa police captain who was transferred for refusing to follow an order by his supervisor has filed a lawsuit in federal court.

The lawsuit claims Deputy Chief Daryl Webster violated Captain Paul Fields' first amendment rights by ordering him to send officers to the Islamic society's Law Enforcement Appreciation Day on March 4, 2011.

In a memo, Fields said he believed the order was illegal and would not follow it.

Deputy Chief Webster responded by saying community outreach events are an important part of police work.

Fields was later reassigned from the Riverside Division to the Mingo Valley Division.

The lawsuit says hours after Fields was disciplined, Webster told officers he was no longer ordering them to attend and in hindsight, should have kept it voluntary.

Webster said Wednesday night it's too soon for him to comment on the lawsuit. Fields is asking for one dollar in damages.
http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=14087879

MrsSmith
02-24-2011, 05:38 AM

I have to wonder how often Tulsa orders their officers to attend an outreach at a Christian church. My bet would be a big, fat ZERO.

Odysseus
02-24-2011, 09:58 AM
I have to wonder how often Tulsa orders their officers to attend an outreach at a Christian church. My bet would be a big, fat ZERO.

Are you kidding? The ACLU would have their heads on a plate if they made them go to a Christian church. That's mixing church and state, you know. This is simply outreach to our soon-to-be Islamic overlords.

noonwitch
02-24-2011, 11:19 AM

Which means that all he really wants is his disciplinary record expunged.

Apache
02-24-2011, 11:50 AM
“It’s a symptom of the unfortunately rising level of anti-Muslim sentiment we have in our society,” Hooper said. “It sends a message of marginalization that somehow Muslims aren’t part of American society.”

And Americans have no right or reason to feel this way...:rolleyes:

THe Muslims have gone oh-so-far to assimilate into the other societies they enter...ROPMA

Speedy
02-24-2011, 11:54 AM
I applaude his move. I would refuse, also. I do not care if it meant my job or my business or anything else. I have my opinion and views of Islam and would never bow down to them in the slightest even with a sword to my neck or the cold ring of a gun barrel to my head. I would never give anyone reason to assume even in the slightest that I believe that I view Islam and Muslims as equal to actual human beings.

Odysseus
02-24-2011, 01:08 PM
Which means that all he really wants is his disciplinary record expunged.

And his position restored, I suspect. And doesn't he warrant that?

jediab
02-24-2011, 02:37 PM
Are you kidding? The ACLU would have their heads on a plate if they made them go to a Christian church. That's mixing church and state, you know. This is simply outreach to our soon-to-be Islamic overlords.

Speaking of the ACLU, shouldn't they be coming to this guys defense?

If they really are for civil liberties, I would expect them to be all over this.

Speedy
02-24-2011, 02:40 PM

If they really are for civil liberties, I would expect them to be all over this.

Like NOW is really for women's rights.

Novaheart
02-24-2011, 03:44 PM

The ACLU would take the case if the government were establishing religion, or if it were requiring the police officer to practice another religion. Contrary to AM radio babble, the ACLU defends many cases of religious freedom, it just doesn't defend the "freedom" to have the government promote your religion simply because you are in the majority.

This isn't religion per se, it's politics and police officers are required to do things behind community outreach; ask any St Petersburg police officer who has to put up with the fucking Uhuru.

Odysseus
02-24-2011, 04:18 PM
The ACLU would take the case if the government were establishing religion, or if it were requiring the police officer to practice another religion. Contrary to AM radio babble, the ACLU defends many cases of religious freedom, it just doesn't defend the "freedom" to have the government promote your religion simply because you are in the majority.
The ACLU would take the case if it were an officer being compelled to go to a Christian Church, not because it's imposing the majority religion, but because the ACLU always takes the side of the organization or element that seeks to overturn American cultural norms. In this case, they're more likely to file an amicus brief in defense of the PD for disciplining the officer for his failure to show proper respect before the altar of diversity.

This isn't religion per se, it's politics and police officers are required to do things behind community outreach; ask any St Petersburg police officer who has to put up with the fucking Uhuru.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b7/Nichelle_Nichols%2C_NASA_Recruiter_-_GPN-2004-00017.jpg/250px-Nichelle_Nichols%2C_NASA_Recruiter_-_GPN-2004-00017.jpg
Oh, come on. Most cops love her. :D

MrsSmith
02-24-2011, 08:29 PM

Reading the article helps...

However, according to a promotional flyer, the Islamic event included not just food and entertainment, but “presentations” on “beliefs, human rights, and women.” They would also be able to watch a Muslim prayer service and take a tour of the mosque.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/02/23/oklahoma-police-captain-refuses-attend-islamic-event/#ixzz1EviGZtJJ