PDA

View Full Version : US arrests Saudi student over alleged bomb plot targeting George W. Bush

Sonnabend
02-24-2011, 05:19 PM
http://www.news.com.au/world/us-arrests-saudi-student-over-alleged-bomb-plot-targeting-george-w-bush/story-e6frfkz0-1226011744633

A Saudi college student living in Texas has been arrested for allegedly attempting to make bombs for possible use on a series of US targets including the Dallas home of former President George W. Bush, the Department of Justice said overnight. Khalid Ali-M Aldawsari, 20, a Saudi national and a student at South Plains College in Lubbock, was arrested late Wednesday, local time, and faces charges of attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction.

Aldawarsi, who was legally admitted to the US in 2008 on a student visa, allegedly spent time doing online research about how to make a chemical-based improvised explosive device (IED), according to the affidavit unsealed in the Northern District of Texas.

Some of his research indicated that Aldawarsi contemplated using dolls to conceal explosives and possible plans to carry a backpack full of explosives into a nightclub.
A search of Aldawarsi's Lubbock apartment uncovered items including a hazmat suit, wiring, a clock, and sulfuric and nitric acids, authorities alleged. Investigators also uncovered a notebook that indicated Aldawarsi had a long-held desire to execute a terror attack within the US.

An excerpt from the purported diary showed Aldawarsi's desire to target Americans.
"And now, after mastering the English language, learning how to build explosives and continuous planning to target the infidel Americans, it is time for Jihad," it read in part.

Aldawarsi allegedly sent a series of emails to himself that contained lists of possible targets including nuclear power plants, hydroelectric dams, and the names of 12 reservoir dams in California and Colorado, the Justice Department said. One email with the subject line "Tyrant's House" contained the Dallas address of former President George W. Bush.

Following the arrest, a representative for South Plains College, where Aldawarsi enrolled in January as a transfer student, said there was no threat to the campus.If convicted, Aldawarsi faces a maximum of life in prison and a US$250,000 ($247,000) fine. He is expected to make his first federal court appearance in Lubbock, Texas, today.

Must be another of these "moderate Muslims" :rolleyes:

Religion of peace...MY ASS.

Rockntractor
02-24-2011, 05:23 PM
I am getting complacent, I read that and thought; muzzie wants to blow up Americans, that's kind of like man farts after lunch in chili parlor. Not surprising anymore.

Odysseus
02-25-2011, 11:35 AM
I am getting complacent, I read that and thought; muzzie wants to blow up Americans, that's kind of like man farts after lunch in chili parlor. Not surprising anymore.

These stories of foiled attempts are becoming commonplace, but the sheer volume of them should dispel any complacency. We get dozens of failed plots, but they only have to succeed a few times to rack up a body count. The FT Dix plot failed, but the FT Hood shooter singlehandedly killed 14 people. September 11, 2011 is the tenth anniversary of the WTC and Pentagon attacks. I guarantee that there will be multiple attempts to replicate what the 9/11 hijackers did, if not their methods, at least their results. If nine out of ten attempts fail, but they launch a few dozen jihadis with independent means of delivering death, some of them will get through.

Rockntractor
02-25-2011, 11:41 AM
It makes you wonder how many we don't hear about.

Wei Wu Wei
02-25-2011, 02:03 PM
Considering that there is a failed terror plot every other week in the news, are people still claiming that the Obama adminstration is weak on terrorism?

Odysseus
02-25-2011, 02:05 PM
It makes you wonder how many we don't hear about.

You don't want to know.

txradioguy
02-25-2011, 03:23 PM
Considering that there is a failed terror plot every other week in the news, are people still claiming that the Obama adminstration is weak on terrorism?

Thinnk of it this way my Little Communist tool...we are uncovering these plots in spite of the Administration.

We aren't foiling them because of this Administration and their stance and efforts against radical Islamic terrorism.

Odysseus
02-25-2011, 03:50 PM

Yes, and with good reason. Terrorism is a tool of people who seek to impose their will through violence against non-combatants, so that they will gain through terror what they cannot gain through political processes. By ignoring the sponsors of terrorism and the ideology that inspires it, the administration is reacting to events, rather than shaping the battlefield. It's scratching fleas instead of bathing the dog.