PDA

View Full Version : To Any And All Public Employees, Any State

NJCardFan
03-01-2011, 02:00 AM
I was watching O'Reilly tonight and they were showing CWA workers protesting here in NJ and the interviewer was asking what they wanted and the woman answered, "we're fighting for our rights". This got me thinking. And before I go on this little rant, keep in mind that I am a public employee. I work for the Department of Corrections and am a member of the PBA(Police Benevolent Association). My salary is paid from taxes. As are every other public employee, of any level. So I need to ask; exactly what do you believe you have a right to? As public employees, we work in an industry that is not profit driven hence we rely on the taxes of the citizens. So, every dollar we make and every benefit we receive is all thanks to the taxpayers of our respective states. So by proclaiming that you are fighting for your rights, what you are essentially saying is that you have a right to the income of those who don't work in the public sector. Fortunately, I don't share that view. And we need to be frank. We make a good living. We have good salaries and enjoy benefits that most do not have. We get paid vacations, sick days, and get paid holidays. So think about that whenever you see these union goons protesting.

Now, back to my fellow public employees. I worked in the private sector. I've worked in both union and non union shops. I've also been self employed. Believe you me when I tell you that we as public employees don't have a gripe in the world. There is no sector on this planet where each contract has a pay raise. No matter how minuscule, a raise in a raise. If you think being 'forced' to contribute to your health benefits is bad, try having to give back nearly $2 an hour so you can at least keep your job. We are fortunate to work in an area where if money becomes short, more than likely, our jobs will be safe. Our benefits won't be cut. And in this economy, we should be thankful we have the jobs we do. So, even though this is going to fall on deaf ears, we are not entitled to anything. If there is no money in the budget to get the 2% we got the last contract then so be it. It's money we don't have now and obviously it isn't going to kill us not to get it down the road. We are doing great. We should thank the taxpayers that we are fortunate to have the jobs we do have so shut up and grow up. Because it's hard to convince someone who lost their job of 15 years that we have the right to the taxes that they still have to pay.

megimoo
03-01-2011, 02:59 AM
I was watching O'Reilly tonight and they were showing CWA workers protesting here in NJ and the interviewer was asking what they wanted and the woman answered, "we're fighting for our rights". This got me thinking. And before I go on this little rant, keep in mind that I am a public employee. I work for the Department of Corrections and am a member of the PBA(Police Benevolent Association). My salary is paid from taxes. As are every other public employee, of any level. So I need to ask; exactly what do you believe you have a right to? As public employees, we work in an industry that is not profit driven hence we rely on the taxes of the citizens. So, every dollar we make and every benefit we receive is all thanks to the taxpayers of our respective states. So by proclaiming that you are fighting for your rights, what you are essentially saying is that you have a right to the income of those who don't work in the public sector. Fortunately, I don't share that view. And we need to be frank. We make a good living. We have good salaries and enjoy benefits that most do not have. We get paid vacations, sick days, and get paid holidays. So think about that whenever you see these union goons protesting.

Now, back to my fellow public employees. I worked in the private sector. I've worked in both union and non union shops. I've also been self employed. Believe you me when I tell you that we as public employees don't have a gripe in the world. There is no sector on this planet where each contract has a pay raise. No matter how minuscule, a raise in a raise. If you think being 'forced' to contribute to your health benefits is bad, try having to give back nearly $2 an hour so you can at least keep your job. We are fortunate to work in an area where if money becomes short, more than likely, our jobs will be safe. Our benefits won't be cut. And in this economy, we should be thankful we have the jobs we do. So, even though this is going to fall on deaf ears, we are not entitled to anything. If there is no money in the budget to get the 2% we got the last contract then so be it. It's money we don't have now and obviously it isn't going to kill us not to get it down the road. We are doing great. We should thank the taxpayers that we are fortunate to have the jobs we do have so shut up and grow up. Because it's hard to convince someone who lost their job of 15 years that we have the right to the taxes that they still have to pay.Very true and very well said.

lacarnut
03-01-2011, 03:29 AM
I am a retired state employee who thankfully worked in a right to work state. I always thought I was compensated fairly and had many benefits. I even paid 50% of my hospitalization and 7% to fund my retirement. Prior to my state job, I worked construction, landscaper and a golf pro where I had zero benefits. So, when I went to work for the state I thought I died and went to heaven with all the benes and holidays.

Union workers should be fired for not showing up for work. Get rid of the whole lot of the greedy bastards.

Odysseus
03-01-2011, 11:26 AM

Now, back to my fellow public employees. I worked in the private sector. I've worked in both union and non union shops. I've also been self employed. Believe you me when I tell you that we as public employees don't have a gripe in the world. There is no sector on this planet where each contract has a pay raise. No matter how minuscule, a raise in a raise. If you think being 'forced' to contribute to your health benefits is bad, try having to give back nearly $2 an hour so you can at least keep your job. We are fortunate to work in an area where if money becomes short, more than likely, our jobs will be safe. Our benefits won't be cut. And in this economy, we should be thankful we have the jobs we do. So, even though this is going to fall on deaf ears, we are not entitled to anything. If there is no money in the budget to get the 2% we got the last contract then so be it. It's money we don't have now and obviously it isn't going to kill us not to get it down the road. We are doing great. We should thank the taxpayers that we are fortunate to have the jobs we do have so shut up and grow up. Because it's hard to convince someone who lost their job of 15 years that we have the right to the taxes that they still have to pay.

Brilliant!

I don't belong to a union (could you imagine Soldiers on a picket line?), and would resign the minute it was mandated on us. Public sector unions exist to manipulate the political process in order to hook up their members (and ultimately, their leadership) with as many perks as they can extract from the taxpayers. Any other circumstance in which an employee blackmailed his boss by threatening his job (what else are all of those union expenditures on campaigns but attacks on bosses that they dislike?), he'd be fired and subject to arrest.

noonwitch
03-01-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm a state employee, and I have rights and responsibilities.

I have the right to work in a safe environment, at least as far as the office is concerned. If I get injured on the job, I have the right to workman's comp.
I have the right to have the necessary tools to perform the job I've been assigned.
If I am fulfilling my responsibilities, I have the right to get paid appropriately for my work and in line with my education, training and experience.
I have a pension plan that was agreed upon 24 years ago when I was hired. I have the right to keep it until my retirement. My employer signed a contract with me to that effect when I was hired.

I have the responsibility to do the best job that I can with the resources I'm given.
I have the responsibility to treat my clients, coworkers, and contractors with respect.
I have a long list of policies and procedures to remind me of what all my job-specific responsibilities are, which are far more numerous than my rights as an employee.

I work in a "closed shop". If a worker here has issues with the UAW and the causes they contribute to, that worker can pay a lower service fee instead of dues, which means that the UAW will still represent them in disciplinary matters.