PDA

View Full Version : Police keep protesters from entering Capitol (Wisconsin get their building back)

megimoo
03-01-2011, 02:55 AM
Capitol Police kept more than 1,000 protestors at bay Monday, locking down the statehouse and allowing only a few dozen inside to meet with lawmakers.

Officials with the Department of Administration said they closed the Capitol to help with the cleaning of the building and could not open the doors to the public because some protestors inside the rotunda refused to limit their activities to the ground floor.

The decision seemed to run counter to Capitol tradition and the spirit of the state Constitution, which says officials cannot prohibit individuals from entering the Capitol or its grounds. Those gathered outside were not happy.
snip

"When the State Capitol closed at 4 p.m. last night, the majority of protestors voluntarily left the building as requested by the Capitol Police," the statement read. "Of those who remained, all but a few have voluntarily complied with the request of law enforcement to remain in a designed area of the building. Officers in the building are continuing to work with those few individuals to gain their compliance."
snip
Officials with the Department of Administration said they closed the Capitol to help with the cleaning of the building and could not open the doors to the public because some protestors inside the rotunda refused to limit their activities to the ground floor.

The decision seemed to run counter to Capitol tradition and the spirit of the state Constitution, which says officials cannot prohibit individuals from entering the Capitol or its grounds. Those gathered outside were not happy. "My grandfather helped build this building," said LaVorn Dvorak, a retired social worker from Brooklyn, who was stuck outside for two hours in below-freezing temperatures. "I expect to be able to get in. Now they're telling us we can't get in to our own statehouse."

As Dvorak spoke, chants arose including "Let us in - please." And "Whose house?" "Our house!"

According to a DOA statement issued Monday, the decision to lock the building down seemed targeted at a "family respite center" on the first floor's north wing - the only group of protestors not on the ground floor.
snip
"Of those who remained, all but a few have voluntarily complied with the request of law enforcement to remain in a designed area of the building. Officers in the building are continuing to work with those few individuals to gain their compliance."

http://www.wiscnews.com/news/local/article_b031022c-43c5-11e0-aa4d-001cc4c002e0.html

lacarnut
03-01-2011, 03:33 AM
A few police dogs would encourage the holdouts to exit the building.

Odysseus
03-01-2011, 11:22 AM
A few police dogs would encourage the holdouts to exit the building.

Nah... Wisconsin is the badger state. Just let a few of those loose in the building and watch what happens. :D

Arroyo_Doble
03-01-2011, 12:34 PM
I just looked at the Wisconsin constituion. It had this annotation:

The legislature cannot prohibit an individual from entering the capitol or its grounds.

lacarnut
03-01-2011, 12:51 PM

The legislature cannot prohibit an individual from entering the capitol or its grounds.

Boo Hoo. The place needs to be cleaned up after those filthy union thugs and teachers trashed it. The bathrooms should be a sight to behold.

Arroyo_Doble
03-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Boo Hoo. The place needs to be cleaned up after those filthy union thugs and teachers trashed it. The bathrooms should be a sight to behold.

Let out the anger, bile and bitterness that limits your ability to effectively operate your existence. The catharsis will do you good.

Novaheart
03-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Let out the anger, bile and bitterness that limits your ability to effectively operate your existence. The catharsis will do you good.

I got a mental picture of Zelda Rubenstein when I read that.

Arroyo_Doble
03-01-2011, 12:58 PM
I got a mental picture of Zelda Rubenstein when I read that.

I was thinking The Terminator. I tend to find juxtaposition funnier.

Gingersnap
03-01-2011, 01:18 PM
If I see any more pointless racist language in this thread, it's not going to be pretty.

Either sharpen up you vocabulary to include better insults or take a break from the board until you can find some dictionaries. :mad:

lacarnut
03-01-2011, 01:19 PM
That's it, that's it. Let that roiling, rotted pain you carry around find exit in the keyboard.

Don't get your bowels in an uproar, your brains are liable to explode. BTW, anti-American liberals like you are the only pain here.

lacarnut
03-01-2011, 01:21 PM
If I see any more pointless racist language in this thread, it's not going to be pretty.

Either sharpen up you vocabulary to include better insults or take a break from the board until you can find some dictionaries. :mad:

My apologies.

Odysseus
03-01-2011, 01:22 PM

Doesn't mean that they have to let them camp out there.

Arroyo_Doble
03-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Doesn't mean that they have to let them camp out there.

Seems pretty straight forward to me.

That is the thing about rights; people who disagree with you have them too.

Gingersnap
03-01-2011, 01:30 PM
My apologies.

Thanks. :)

Odysseus
03-01-2011, 02:04 PM

I don't deny that they have rights, but so do the taxpayers. They have the right to have their government function. This is why you have to go to the intent of the constitution, whose goal is to ensure that government operations are transparent. For example, there is no requirement that the building be open 24/7, and obviously there are safety issues with permitting access when it is closed, so it is within the authority of the state to deny access when the building is closed. Also, rather obviously, the admission to the building is contingent on the good conduct of those entering, as it would not make sense to permit access to persons whose intent is the disruption of the lawful functions of government. Persons who barricade themselves in offices or otherwise act to prevent the the government from doing its job do not have carte blanche.

lacarnut
03-01-2011, 02:10 PM

The governor has the right to fire every state teacher also. The taxpayer have the right to elect officials who will diminish the role of unions. BTW, a legislator should not have the right to run away to another state to avoid voting. Rather cowardly if you ask me.

lacarnut
03-01-2011, 02:12 PM
I don't deny that they have rights, but so do the taxpayers. They have the right to have their government function. This is why you have to go to the intent of the constitution, whose goal is to ensure that government operations are transparent. For example, there is no requirement that the building be open 24/7, and obviously there are safety issues with permitting access when it is closed, so it is within the authority of the state to deny access when the building is closed. Also, rather obviously, the admission to the building is contingent on the good conduct of those entering, as it would not make sense to permit access to persons whose intent is the disruption of the lawful functions of government. Persons who barricade themselves in offices or otherwise act to prevent the the government from doing its job do not have carte blanche.

Logic escapes liberals.

Arroyo_Doble
03-01-2011, 02:15 PM
The governor has the right to fire every state teacher also.

I think that is an issue of authority as opposed to right. Not sure what Wisconsin law is on the prospect of dismantling the public education system by fiat, though.

The taxpayer have the right to elect officials who will diminish the role of unions.

Absolutely. I think recall petitions are in the works for some Democratic senators.

BTW, a legislator should not have the right to run away to another state to avoid voting.

Why not? Are you suggesting kidnapping and imprisonment against their will? Pretty dictatorial.

Rather cowardly if you ask me.

*shrug*

They are denying the senate a quorum. It is just a parlaimentarian manuever. I am not sure if one has been successful (I have read that the Founders used it) before but it is not unheard of.

Arroyo_Doble
03-01-2011, 02:18 PM
I don't deny that they have rights, but so do the taxpayers.

OK. I haven't said otherwise.

They have the right to have their government function.

Not sure that is a "right," but regardless, their government is functioning.

This is why you have to go to the intent of the constitution, whose goal is to ensure that government operations are transparent. For example, there is no requirement that the building be open 24/7, and obviously there are safety issues with permitting access when it is closed, so it is within the authority of the state to deny access when the building is closed. Also, rather obviously, the admission to the building is contingent on the good conduct of those entering, as it would not make sense to permit access to persons whose intent is the disruption of the lawful functions of government. Persons who barricade themselves in offices or otherwise act to prevent the the government from doing its job do not have carte blanche.

If the denial of entry is on legitimate grounds, I have no problem with it. If it is merely an attempt to stifle the citizens' speech and access then I would think even you would have a problem with it.

jediab
03-01-2011, 02:20 PM

Having that many people grouped together inside a building has got to be a fire code violation. This alone would be reason enough to make a lot of them leave. They are in violation of city ordinance. Not to mention the numerous health hazzards of not being able to clean and sanitize the bathrooms and other areas.

Odysseus
03-01-2011, 02:30 PM
OK. I haven't said otherwise.

Not sure that is a "right," but regardless, their government is functioning.

If the denial of entry is on legitimate grounds, I have no problem with it. If it is merely an attempt to stifle the citizens' speech and access then I would think even you would have a problem with it.

From what I had heard, there was an attempt to close the building for the weekend so that the custodial staff could work. That's legitimate. Also, while the public areas are probably accessible, I'm sure that the offices of the legislators and their staffs are off-limits without authorization. Anyone who tries to crash those would be thrown out.

txradioguy
03-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Don't get your bowels in an uproar, your brains are liable to explode. BTW, anti-American liberals like you are the only pain here.

Never mind spinelesss there. He thinks he's being cute and "above it all" when he talks like an arrogant snob.

Most of his talk is just projection.

Give him 5 minutes and he'll change his mind on how he feels about what we're saying anyway.

lacarnut
03-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Never mind spinelesss there. He thinks he's being cute and "above it all" when he talks like an arrogant snob.

Most of his talk is just projection.

Give him 5 minutes and he'll change his mind on how he feels about what we're saying anyway.

Yep. Liberals crying about their rights being violated is rather pathetic. Politicians (R & D) have trampled the piss out of our rights but assembly in a state house is not one of them.

Adam Wood
03-01-2011, 03:36 PM

The legislature cannot prohibit an individual from entering the capitol or its grounds.So far as I can tell, the legislature is not doing that, so it's all good.