PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter capable of landing on Everest.

ironhorsedriver
03-01-2011, 09:42 AM
Pretty awesome, would make mountain rescues a reality, with the proper weather of course.
http://en.rian.ru/video/20110210/162539714.html

Gingersnap
03-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Maybe they will quit climbing the stupid thing now. That is one of the most ridiculous life goals I've ever heard about. I think the books about climbing Everest are fascinating but when 13 year olds and disabled people are doing it with massive assistance, it's time to quit. The death/injury toll is simply not worth it considering that there are no more real "firsts" to achieve.

Now, flying around the summit seems like a fine thing to do if you have money to burn. :)

ironhorsedriver
03-01-2011, 10:11 AM
It's because it's there, or, because of the sheer satisfaction of defeating it. I don't know, but in my younger years I was an avid climber. I loved it, even with the pain, scrapes and breaks that came with it. It's an adrenaline rush like no other. I never was in the class of people who climb Everest, or the holy mother of them all, K-2, but I loved the ones I did climb.

Gingersnap
03-01-2011, 10:14 AM
It's because it's there, or, because of the sheer satisfaction of defeating it. I don't know, but in my younger years I was an avid climber. I loved it, even with the pain, scrapes and breaks that came with it. It's an adrenaline rush like no other. I never was in the class of people who climb Everest, or the holy mother of them all, K-2, but I loved the ones I did climb.

I'm not a climber although I know a few (Colorado is an attractive home base for climbers). I still don't get it. If I got dragged into climbing some dangerous mountain and the head climbing guy got me 20 feet from the summit and said, "You can either keep going or turn around early" I'd consider it a 40 ft. short-cut. :p

The Night Owl
03-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Finally! Something for the top 1% to spend their tax cuts on!

:p

Rockntractor
03-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Finally! Something for the top 1% to spend their tax cuts on!

:p

You never have anything good to say.:rolleyes:

Novaheart
03-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Maybe they will quit climbing the stupid thing now. That is one of the most ridiculous life goals I've ever heard about. I think the books about climbing Everest are fascinating but when 13 year olds and disabled people are doing it with massive assistance, it's time to quit. The death/injury toll is simply not worth it considering that there are no more real "firsts" to achieve.

Now, flying around the summit seems like a fine thing to do if you have money to burn. :)

Come on now, tell me that Paris Hilton climbing Everest wouldn't be a fun show.

Novaheart
03-01-2011, 01:04 PM

The thing about strippers is that they are such a good value. You get about 80% of the experience for 1% of the price of a prostitute, and with a fraction of the risk.

My point being that taking a 4wd vehicle through the back trails around Yosemite yields a great deal of experience for a fraction of the stress, and anytime you're tired you can generally stop the vehicle, and have a cold or hot drink.

Gingersnap
03-01-2011, 01:14 PM

Well, it would and I'd watch but most people can't pull together traveling outfits the way Paris can. :)

txradioguy
03-01-2011, 01:28 PM

Well...we already know that her brain is devoid of oxygen so the altitude wouldn't bother her.

Starbuck
03-01-2011, 01:49 PM
Ah, them Rooskies...

I dunno...A helicopter having enough power left to land and then take off again from 25,000 ft. Maybe. Wouldn't be the first time the Rooskies put the shuck on us Country Boys.

megimoo
03-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Ah, them Rooskies...

I dunno...A helicopter having enough power left to land and then take off again from 25,000 ft. Maybe. Wouldn't be the first time the Rooskies put the shuck on us Country Boys.At 25,000 ft and the crosswinds on Everest that thing would be oxygen starved and blown all over the sky's !That chopper body looks like an old 'hind' design .All engines require oxygen for combustion and air temperature and humidity all effect max altitude.

The highest landing and take off of a chopper was in 2005 when a chopper landed on the summit of Mount Everest (approx 29,000 ft).Just how much cargo they can haul that high is unknown ?

Starbuck
03-01-2011, 09:28 PM
At 25,000 ft and the crosswinds on Everest that thing would be oxygen starved and blown all over the sky's !That chopper body looks like an old 'hind' design .All engines require oxygen for combustion and air temperature and humidity
all effect max altitude.

The highest landing and take off of a chopper was in 2005 when a chopper landed on the summit of Mount Everest (approx 29,000 ft).Just how much cargo they can haul that high is unknown ?
Yeah Be kind of a bitch. "Hey, yeah, Buddy, we see you're in a jam and all, but there's just no way we could take off with you on! Good Luck!".................whop-whop-whop-whop-whopwhopwhop....:D

KhrushchevsShoe
03-02-2011, 04:32 PM
That contraption probably runs on dead Russians.

fettpett
03-02-2011, 06:23 PM
we need to develop repulsorlift so we can have speeders like on Star wars...they can get high enough without oxygen :D

Bubba Dawg
03-02-2011, 09:18 PM

Paris is a movable feast.....:D