PDA

View Full Version : Shots Fired at Bus Carrying U.S. Soldiers in Germany

txradioguy
03-02-2011, 11:21 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/images/root_images/030211_frankfurt_20110302_111027.jpg

DEVELOPING: FRANKFURT, Germany -- Frankfurt airport says shots were fired "near or on" a bus carrying U.S. soldiers.

An airport spokesman Wednesday's shooting took place in front of Terminal 2 of what is continental Europe's second-biggest hub. He declined to be named in line with policy.

News agency DAPD reported two people were killed and two others wounded, citing Frankfurt police.

There was no immediate information on their identity or further casualties.

The BBC is reporting that police arrested a 21-year-old suspect from Kosovo.

The U.S. Army Europe said it had no immediate information on the incident but was looking into it.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/03/02/shots-fired-bus-carrying-soldiers-germany/#ixzz1FSZYVKQs

txradioguy
03-02-2011, 11:27 AM
The update on the FNC website says the two dead are Air Force.

The picture shows a USAF Bluebird bus.

Phillygirl
03-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Holy crap. That just sucks.

txradioguy
03-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Holy crap. That just sucks.

Yeah my unit has a lot of soldiers passing through that terminal going to and from R&R too.

It's also the terminal where soldiers just arriving to Germany for assignment go through.

I've been right where that bus is. :mad:

Phillygirl
03-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Yeah my unit has a lot of soldiers passing through that terminal going to and from R&R too.

It's also the terminal where soldiers just arriving to Germany for assignment go through.

Yep, lots of our people passing through Frankfurt.

linda22003
03-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Two airmen have been reported killed. :mad::(

djones520
03-02-2011, 12:52 PM

So have I...

megimoo
03-02-2011, 01:08 PM
FRANKFURT, Germany – A gunman fired at U.S. Air Force personnel on a bus outside Frankfurt airport Wednesday, killing two airmen and wounding two others before being taken into custody, authorities said.

Kosovo's interior minister told The Associated Press that German police have identified the shooter as a man from Kosovo.

The attack came as the bus sat outside Terminal 2 at the airport, according to Frankfurt police spokesman Manfred Fuellhardt.

The bus driver and a passenger were killed, and one person suffered serious wounds and another light injuries, Fuellhardt said.

He had no further details, but U.S. Air Force Europe spokeswoman Maj. Beverly Mock said all four victims were airmen. She said she could not yet say where they were based, nor give any other details until their next of kin had been notified.

In Berlin, German Chancellor Angela Merkel said her sympathies were with the victims and their families, and pledged that Germany would do everything in its power to investigate the crime.

"It is a terrible event," she said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_germany_us_airport_shooting

txradioguy
03-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Dupe. :cool:

Odysseus
03-02-2011, 05:07 PM
So have I...

Same here. Any idea who did the shooting?

Phillygirl
03-02-2011, 05:20 PM

I read somewhere that it was a Kosovan man.

Arroyo_Doble
03-02-2011, 05:20 PM

Boris Rhein, the top security official in the German state of Hesse where the shooting took place, identified the shooter as a 21-year-old from Kosovo. Family members in Kosovo described the suspect as a devout Muslim, who was born and raised in Germany and worked at the airport.

The Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110302/ap_on_re_eu/eu_germany_us_airport_shooting)

There's gratitude for you.

Tell me again, Mr Kipling:

Take up the White Man’s burden—
And reap his old reward:
The blame of those ye better
The hate of those ye guard—

Phillygirl
03-02-2011, 05:27 PM
Boris Rhein, the top security official in the German state of Hesse where the shooting took place, identified the shooter as a 21-year-old from Kosovo. Family members in Kosovo described the suspect as a devout Muslim, who was born and raised in Germany and worked at the airport.

The Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110302/ap_on_re_eu/eu_germany_us_airport_shooting)

And reap his old reward:

Any reason to think Afghanistan will be any different?

Arroyo_Doble
03-02-2011, 05:36 PM
Any reason to think Afghanistan will be any different?

No, not really.

I think Mr Kipling had something to say about that, as well:

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains,
And the women come out to cut up what remains,
Jest roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.

txradioguy
03-02-2011, 05:38 PM
Great. Way to steer off topic...again.

Only you two could take a B/N thread about a shooting in Germany and use it to bad mouth what we're doingin Afghanistan.

:rolleyes:

Phillygirl
03-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Great. Way to steer off topic...again.

Only you two could take a B/N thread about a shooting in Germany and use it to bad mouth what we're doingin Afghanistan.

:rolleyes:

I am not bad mouthing what we are doing in Afghanistan. I have nothing but respect for our military over there. I do not, however, have any hope of making the recipients of our largesse behave in a manner that is indicative of being members of the human race in the year 2011. 7th Century humans had very different values than we do today.

If you can not see the nexus between the shooting in Germany and Afghanistan, then that I can not help you with.

Odysseus
03-02-2011, 06:05 PM

And reap his old reward:

You make a valid point. We protected Kosovar Muslims from Serbs, and our thanks was the FT Dix plot and this. It's unlikely that the shooter has ever been to Afghanistan. What he has done is gone to the mosque, become a radical, and internalized the goals and methods of the grand jihad. He is no different in that regard than MAJ Nidal Hasan, or the guy who tried to detonate a truck bomb in Times Square.

Phillygirl
03-02-2011, 06:31 PM
You make a valid point. We protected Kosovar Muslims from Serbs, and our thanks was the FT Dix plot and this. It's unlikely that the shooter has ever been to Afghanistan. What he has done is gone to the mosque, become a radical, and internalized the goals and methods of the grand jihad. He is no different in that regard than MAJ Nidal Hasan, or the guy who tried to detonate a truck bomb in Times Square.

I believe that was the point. Neither AD nor I thought this particular guy went to Afghanistan, merely that our actions in supporting the Muslims are going to come to the same sad end...disdain for us.

djones520
03-02-2011, 09:00 PM

And reap his old reward:

How was he from Kosovo if he was born and raised in Germany?

Zathras
03-02-2011, 09:05 PM

In the linked article the German police are the ones saying he was born in Kosovo.

Phillygirl
03-02-2011, 09:13 PM

Interesting. Does germany have birthright citizenship?

Odysseus
03-03-2011, 10:39 AM
Interesting. Does germany have birthright citizenship?

They do now, but it was a recent change. Here's the summary of the law:

Birth in Germany

Children born on or after 1 January 2000 to non-German parents acquire German citizenship at birth if at least one parent:

has a permanent residence permit (and has had this status for at least three years); and
has been residing in Germany for at least eight years.
Such children will be required to apply successfully to retain German citizenship by the age of 23. Assuming the laws are not changed prior to 2023, they will normally be required to prove they do not hold any foreign citizenship.

Parents who are citizens of European Economic Area states or Switzerland are eligible to receive permanent resident permits after five years.

Descent from a German parent

A person born of a parent with German citizenship at the time of the child's birth is a German citizen. Place of birth is not a factor in citizenship determination based on parentage.

Those born after 1 January 1975 are Germans if the mother or father is a German citizen.
Those born before 1 January 1975 could normally only claim German citizenship from the father and not the mother. Exceptions included cases where the parents were unmarried (in which case German mothers could pass on citizenship) or where the German mother applied for the child to be registered as German on or before 31 December 1977.

Special rules exist for those born before 1 July 1993 if only the father is German and is not married to the mother. The father must acknowledge paternity before the child is 23, or acknowledge paternity and marry the mother and the child must declare himself or herself to be a German citizen.
From 1 January 2000, those born outside of Germany to a German parent must be registered as a German citizen within 12 months of birth to retain citizenship. An exception applies if the child is stateless.
Those born in Germany and adopted to a foreign country would need to contact their local German Consulate for clarification of German citizenship.

Persons who are Germans on the basis of descent from a German parent do not have to apply to retain German citizenship by age 23. If they acquire another citizenship at birth, they can usually continue to hold this.

Adoption

A child adopted by a German citizen becomes German national automatically if aged less than 18 on the date the application for adoption was made. So dual citizenship is granted.

Naturalization as a German citizenGerman citizenship may be acquired by naturalisation by those with permanent residence who have lived in Germany for 8 years. Additional requirements include an adequate command of the German language and an ability to be self-supporting without recourse to welfare.

Applicants for naturalisation are normally expected to prove they have renounced their existing nationality, or will lose this automatically upon naturalisation. An exception applies to those unable to give up their nationality easily (such as refugees). A further exception applies to citizens of Switzerland and theEuropean Union member states that do not require Germans to renounce citizenship upon naturalisation in that country.

Exceptions to the normal residence requirements include:

A spouse of a German citizen may be naturalised after 3 years residence in Germany. The marriage must have persisted for at least 2 years.

persons who have completed an integration course may have the residence requirement reduced to 7 years
refugees and stateless persons may be able to apply after 6 years residence
persons who have studied in Germany university may have the residence requirement reduced to 6 year without requirement of any integration courses.

former German citizens

Victims of Nazi persecutionSome people who lost German citizenship under the Nazi regime may be eligible for naturalisation without requiring residence in Germany or renunciation of their existing citizenship. Children and grandchildren of such persons may also be eligible for German citizenship. Details

German-born children

Under transitional arrangements in the 1999 reforms (effective 1 January 2000), children who were born in Germany in 1990 or later, and would have been German had the law change been in force at the time, were entitled to be naturalised as German citizens.

An application for naturalisation was required by 31 December 2000.
The child was required to apply for retention of German citizenship by age 23 and normally show that no other foreign citizenship was held at that time.
Naturalization statisticsFrom 1995 to 2004, 1,278,424 foreigners have obtained German citizenship by naturalization. This means, that about 1.5 % of the total German population had been naturalized during that period.

noonwitch
03-03-2011, 02:48 PM

My coworker of serbian descent says there are no Bosnians, and there are no Kosovoans. They are all Serbs who happen to be muslims, according to he and his father.

Odysseus
03-03-2011, 02:58 PM
My coworker of serbian descent says there are no Bosnians, and there are no Kosovoans. They are all Serbs who happen to be muslims, according to he and his father.

The Bosnians and Kosovars disagree. The reason that they are different ethnic groups has to do with the Ottoman practices of institutional dhimmitude and conversion. The Serbs who remained Christians resisted, the Kosovars went over to Islam.

Novaheart
03-03-2011, 03:01 PM
The Bosnians and Kosovars disagree. The reason that they are different ethnic groups has to do with the Ottoman practices of institutional dhimmitude and conversion. The Serbs who remained Christians resisted, the Kosovars went over to Islam.

I confess that I found/find that whole situation to be confusing. As I understand it, Greece is paying a heavy price for proximity, and is the gateway for illegal immigrant moslems tramping into Europe. When is Europe going to wake up?

Phillygirl
03-03-2011, 03:15 PM
They do now, but it was a recent change. Here's the summary of the law:

Thanks. I found that last night, but only have my droid, so posting is a bit much. I think the change in the law explains a bit about the comment that he was "from" Kosovo. They probably still view people whose parents whose ancestors aren't from Germany as "outsiders". I grew up in a county like that. Despite living there for 30 years, we were not "from" there.

Odysseus
03-03-2011, 03:55 PM
I confess that I found/find that whole situation to be confusing. As I understand it, Greece is paying a heavy price for proximity, and is the gateway for illegal immigrant moslems tramping into Europe. When is Europe going to wake up?
Beats me. There's a war on, a jihadi who spent years as a commissioned officer is awaiting trial for murdering 13 Soldiers, Obama is talking about cutting defense, there's about to be a rally for Sharia law in Washington DC, we can't even call our enemies Islamic terrorists, and the only issue pertaining to the military that I've ever heard you weigh in on is DADT.

When are you going to wake up?

Thanks. I found that last night, but only have my droid, so posting is a bit much. I think the change in the law explains a bit about the comment that he was "from" Kosovo. They probably still view people whose parents whose ancestors aren't from Germany as "outsiders". I grew up in a county like that. Despite living there for 30 years, we were not "from" there.

Carpetbagger! :D

Phillygirl
03-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Beats me. There's a war on, a jihadi who spent years as a commissioned officer is awaiting trial for murdering 13 Soldiers, Obama is talking about cutting defense, there's about to be a rally for Sharia law in Washington DC, we can't even call our enemies Islamic terrorists, and the only issue pertaining to the military that I've ever heard you weigh in on is DADT.

When are you going to wake up?

Then you haven't been following Nova enough. I wouldn't call him a conservative, but he's definitely not a squishy liberal (on most things) and I believe he weighed in on the Wiki leaks guy. I've learned not to make assumptions about Nova's political beliefs merely based on his views of DADT and gay marriage. But it definitely takes paying attention and not knee jerking (not that you are a knee jerker, but I've found I need to make a real effort not to assume that Nova is going to take the liberal point of view on things).

Carpetbagger! :D

Yeah, I know. I still feel like I'm not "from" anywhere, since I no longer live in the county in which I was raised, and they won't have me, since my great grandfather was born there on a horse! :D

Odysseus
03-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Then you haven't been following Nova enough. I wouldn't call him a conservative, but he's definitely not a squishy liberal (on most things) and I believe he weighed in on the Wiki leaks guy. I've learned not to make assumptions about Nova's political beliefs merely based on his views of DADT and gay marriage. But it definitely takes paying attention and not knee jerking (not that you are a knee jerker, but I've found I need to make a real effort not to assume that Nova is going to take the liberal point of view on things).
Yeah, I've picked up on some of his saner positions, but the fact remains that in the middle of a war, he's far more concerned about a ridiculous peripheral issue that has the potential to impose huge hardships on the military's leadership and troops than he seems to be about the war itself.

Yeah, I know. I still feel like I'm not "from" anywhere, since I no longer live in the county in which I was raised, and they won't have me, since my great grandfather was born there on a horse! :D

Okay... I'll bite. On a horse?

Phillygirl
03-03-2011, 04:44 PM
Yeah, I've picked up on some of his saner positions, but the fact remains that in the middle of a war, he's far more concerned about a ridiculous peripheral issue that has the potential to impose huge hardships on the military's leadership and troops than he seems to be about the war itself.

Meh, I don't know about that. DADT was a pretty big issue of the day, and he commented on a thread that lots of others commented. I don't see him as a Johnny One Note on the topic, merely participating as threads strike him. No different than many of us.

Okay... I'll bite. On a horse?

I was raised in a county that is known for being "horse country". Lots of horse events, most everybody who was anybody owned/raised/raced/rode horses. Many of the old money people parceled off their grandparents' horse farms. I had no such legacy. Just a truck driver on one side of the family and a lower management at the oil refinery on the other side (and that was the "rich" side!).

I feel like the Kosovon in Germany! :D

Odysseus
03-03-2011, 05:24 PM
Yeah, but born on a horse? Was your great-grandmother riding sidesaddle? C'mon, give with the details.

Phillygirl
03-03-2011, 06:41 PM
Yeah, but born on a horse? Was your great-grandmother riding sidesaddle? C'mon, give with the details.

Now I see the problem...I neglected to add the word "not". :eek:

Odysseus
03-03-2011, 06:52 PM
Now I see the problem...I neglected to add the word "not". :eek:

Ahhhhhhhh.... :o

Phillygirl
03-03-2011, 06:58 PM
Ahhhhhhhh.... :o

Sorry, definitely a problem when posting from work! At least I didn't charge you to read your responses! :p