PDA

View Full Version : Trailer for "Atlas Shrugged" Movie/Thoughts

Troll
03-02-2011, 06:25 PM
If this has been posted already, apologies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W07bFa4TzM

Does anyone plan on checking this movie out?

I think it looks good and it has the potential to bring Rand's message to the younger generation, but here's what I worry about:

It seems very convenient to me that this movie comes out right when there's a huge political push to build a "high speed rail" system in the US. Those of you who have read the book know that Rand uses mass transit as a metaphor of sorts to sell the reader on the ideas of individualism and capitalism. However, I think that among younger people who are likely to never read the book (especially after seeing the movie), they could just as easily take home the message that "trains are cool, wouldn't it be great if we had some".

Am I reading too much into this?

Novaheart
03-02-2011, 07:03 PM
It would have to be better than The Fountainhead. What a waste of film that was.

NJCardFan
03-02-2011, 08:58 PM
2 part movie?

Molon Labe
03-02-2011, 09:25 PM
I'll check it out, but it's lack of being mainstream yet still seeming to be hollywoodized will keep it from being taken too seriously I'm afraid.

KhrushchevsShoe
03-03-2011, 12:45 AM
Its an awful book, but the movie looks kinda cool.

Arroyo_Doble
03-03-2011, 08:54 AM
In the insanely narcissistic and self-absorbed youth culture, I can see where a philosophy of uber-selfishness as the highest virtue would be a hit.

Bailey
03-03-2011, 09:05 AM

Why is it awful?

obx
03-03-2011, 09:42 AM
Why is it awful?

He had no pictures to color.

Gingersnap
03-03-2011, 09:56 AM
I'm going to try to see this. There is much to admire in Rand's philosophy (and some important elements to criticize).

MountainMan
03-03-2011, 10:00 AM
In theaters April 15th......How appropriate. :D

Good book but I am worried that Hollywood will distort the message beyond......God I hope not.

Arroyo_Doble
03-03-2011, 10:03 AM

I thought that was a nice touch, too.

Wei Wu Wei
03-03-2011, 10:03 AM

It seems even diehard fans of the book dislike the movie if they have any taste at all in film:

http://menckens-ghost.blogspot.com/2011/02/atlas-shrugged-part-i-good-bad-and-ugly.html

Wei Wu Wei
03-03-2011, 10:04 AM

Good book but I am worried that Hollywood will distort the message beyond......God I hope not.

Yeah they thought they were all clever picking tax day as the release date but they didn't realize that this year tax day is on April 18 lmao

Wei Wu Wei
03-03-2011, 10:06 AM
Ayn Rand shouldn't even be called a philospher. She read maybe 1 or 2 blurbs on Aristotle then starts bleating like a toddler and people think that's philosophy? ahahahaha

Rand is so deeply mediocre it's funny how people really take her crap seriously.

MountainMan
03-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Yeah they thought they were all clever picking tax day as the release date but they didn't realize that this year tax day is on April 18 lmao

Everyone knows that the TRADITIONAL tax filing day is April 15th fool which is why it will be released on that date.:rolleyes:

Not to worry for you Weewee. I'm sure a movie based on "The Communist Manifesto" will be out shortly for you.

Bailey
03-03-2011, 10:09 AM
Ayn Rand shouldn't even be called a philospher. She read maybe 1 or 2 blurbs on Aristotle then starts bleating like a toddler and people think that's philosophy? ahahahaha

Rand is so deeply mediocre it's funny how people really take her crap seriously.

Its funny how one dislikes someone else just because they dont believe as you do.

Arroyo_Doble
03-03-2011, 10:10 AM

You can probably find the answer to that by reading Jung. If that is too boring, watch the animated film Coraline. Ayn Rand is the Other Mother.

NJCardFan
03-03-2011, 10:11 AM
Everyone knows that the TRADITIONAL tax filing day is April 15th fool which is why it will be released on that date.:rolleyes:

Not to worry for you Weewee. I'm sure a movie based on "The Communist Manifesto" will be out shortly for you.

Wee doesn't pay taxes anyway. Why should he care.

Wei Wu Wei
03-03-2011, 10:12 AM
I love lots of books by people I disagree with, I'm a bit of a lifelong nerd in this area.

Sometimes people agree with me but they are so stupid in their reasoning that it's offputting (like watching MSNBC), sometimes people disagree with me but they have such good arguments and presentations that I can objectively appreciate their art without necessarily agreeing with it.

Ayn Rand is just discount bookstore bin crap. I wouldn't give it much of a second glance if there weren't an idiodic subculture of people who take her shit seriously.

Wei Wu Wei
03-03-2011, 10:12 AM
You can probably find the answer to that by reading Jung. If that is too boring, watch the animated film Coraline. Ayn Rand is the Other Mother.

lol

Gingersnap
03-03-2011, 10:15 AM
Its funny how one dislikes someone else just because they dont believe as you do.

Luckily, Wu Wu doesn't get to decide who is a philosopher and who is churning out "crap". However, if he wants to defend or expand on his opinion of Rand, he can do it in GD in another thread. :cool:

Odysseus
03-03-2011, 10:24 AM
It would have to be better than The Fountainhead. What a waste of film that was.
Oh, please...

In the insanely narcissistic and self-absorbed youth culture, I can see where a philosophy of uber-selfishness as the highest virtue would be a hit.
Self-reliance and intellectual independence are traits that we should be inculcating in youth culture. We can leave the self-absorbed narcissists to the left.

He had no pictures to color.

Target! Cease Fire! :D

Rebel Yell
03-03-2011, 10:26 AM
sometimes people disagree with me but they have such good arguments and presentations that I can objectively appreciate their art without necessarily agreeing with it.

Example? You come across, to me, like everyone is stupid except you.

Bailey
03-03-2011, 10:37 AM
I love lots of books by people I disagree with, I'm a bit of a lifelong nerd in this area.

Sometimes people agree with me but they are so stupid in their reasoning that it's offputting (like watching MSNBC), sometimes people disagree with me but they have such good arguments and presentations that I can objectively appreciate their art without necessarily agreeing with it.

Ayn Rand is just discount bookstore bin crap. I wouldn't give it much of a second glance if there weren't an idiodic subculture of people who take her shit seriously.

I dont know you from Adam but it seems anyone espousing any capitalistic ideas is full of crap. I can tell you are educated but I dont know for the life of me why you believe the stuff you believe.

Odysseus
03-03-2011, 11:00 AM

As opposed to Marx?

I dont know you from Adam but it seems anyone espousing any capitalistic ideas is full of crap. I can tell you are educated but I dont know for the life of me why you believe the stuff you believe.

He's been educated beyond his intelligence.

Odysseus
03-03-2011, 11:17 AM
Another scene from the movie. This actually looks really good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PK5Sq3bIHY&feature=player_embedded

Wei Wu Wei
03-03-2011, 11:27 AM
Criticisms aside, I'm gonna watch this movie :)

The Night Owl
03-03-2011, 11:42 AM

Ayn Rand doesn't do anything for me but I cringe a little bit when people knock her because I know right wingers could do much worse than to seek wisdom in the work of an avowed atheist who was highly critical of religion.

The Night Owl
03-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Criticisms aside, I'm gonna watch this movie :)

Really? The movie looks a straight-to-video release to me.

Wei Wu Wei
03-03-2011, 11:49 AM
Ayn Rand doesn't do anything for me but I cringe a little bit when people knock her because I know right wingers could do much worse than to seek wisdom in the work of an avowed atheist.

A lot of conservatives think they can just pick and choose, they pick the stuff from her "philosophy" that they like (like her schizophrenic view of economics that doesn't acknowledge labor or her pro-capitalist stance), and they ignore the stuff they don't (like her firm steadfast atheism). The problem is that her work is not some buffet where you pick a quote out and say "i like this".

Her atheism is not some incidental factoid about her, it's actually a crucial compontent to her so called "philosophy" and moral system. So much of her (weak) arguments are grounded in the presupposition of Atheism. It's like saying I want to keep the clock tower part of a building but I don't really like all that steel and concrete foundation at the bottom so I'm just gonna ignore it and have a half-building floating in the air.

Gingersnap
03-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Really? The movie looks a straight-to-video release to me.

Sadly, my own powers of film criticism aren't well developed enough to assess this movie based on a couple of minutes of trailer. I'll still see it just in case Night Owl is inexplicably wrong. :rolleyes:

hoplophobe
03-03-2011, 11:56 AM
It looks too bright. When reading the book the image I had of the world presented looked more run down and grimy...like East Germany or Detroit.

linda22003
03-03-2011, 11:56 AM
And now the antidote to turgid, Ayn Rand diatribes.

Red pandas in the snow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6GaPkkGZGw

Wei Wu Wei
03-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Sadly, my own powers of film criticism aren't well developed enough to assess this movie based on a couple of minutes of trailer. I'll still see it just in case Night Owl is inexplicably wrong. :rolleyes:

I read one review that says it wasn't so great, from a guy who loved the book.

In fact, that's the difficulty in translating such a well-known book into a movie, the bars are set so high. That critic says that they had problems with the timing of the production and other technical issues. Still sometimes movie critics are just so critical that they cannot enjoy movie that isn't a revolutionary art project on film, so you gotta take that with a grain of salt. I find myself enjoying many movies that film critics bleat and whine about.

Honestly I hope this movie is good enough to satisfy all the Ayn Rand fans out there, they will likely be the best critics of this movie. Even if it isn't so great, if this is only part one of a series they'll have more time to develop and expand in the sequels.

I'll probably enjoy it because I enjoy most movies.

also lol if the second movie is just one abysmally long speech

Wei Wu Wei
03-03-2011, 11:58 AM
It looks too bright. When reading the book the image I had of the world presented looked more run down and grimy...like East Germany or Detroit.

this yes

The Night Owl
03-03-2011, 11:59 AM

I almost slipped into a coma watching the second clip posted, which is the same effect the book Atlas Shrugged has had on me during my attempts at reading it. As a work of fiction, it's just not interesting.

Bailey
03-03-2011, 12:02 PM
I almost slipped into a coma watching the second clip posted, which is the same effect the book Atlas Shrugged has had on me during my attempts at reading it. As a work of fiction, it's just not interesting.

If wewe and TNO are against Atlas shrugged I must give a read.

The Night Owl
03-03-2011, 12:05 PM

I'm not against Atlas Shrugged so much as not for it.

Wei Wu Wei
03-03-2011, 12:06 PM

Watch the movie first. that way you won't be disappointed. The books are always better so it helps to enjoy the watered down version because the time and effort to read the book will then be worth it when you see how much more depth is there than the movie. When you read the book first the movie always comes up short.

Bailey
03-03-2011, 12:11 PM
Watch the movie first. that way you won't be disappointed. The books are always better so it helps to enjoy the watered down version because the time and effort to read the book will then be worth it when you see how much more depth is there than the movie. When you read the book first the movie always comes up short.

I do read a lot and what bugs my friends the most is going to a movie with me is and how I say the book is so much betterthen the movie. :D

I'd rather read the book and then gripe on how the liberals fucked it up. :)

Wei Wu Wei
03-03-2011, 12:23 PM
I do read a lot and what bugs my friends the most is going to a movie with me is and how I say the book is so much betterthen the movie. :D

I'd rather read the book and then gripe on how the liberals fucked it up. :)

lol that's a good route to take too you can watch the whole movie knowing in the back of your mind 'how it could have been done so much better!' :D

KhrushchevsShoe
03-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Dagny Taggart looks pretty attractive from the trailers so hopefully they'll stay true to the book and we'll get some decent body shots.

Odysseus
03-03-2011, 06:58 PM

Dagny Taggart looks pretty attractive from the trailers so hopefully they'll stay true to the book and we'll get some decent body shots.

Two things that I agree with in a row from the two of you. It must be snowing in Hell.

AmPat
03-03-2011, 07:00 PM

I'm sorry, it sounded like you were saying:

In the insanely narcissistic and self-absorbed idiotic insular liberal culture, I can see where a philosophy of personal responsibility and hard work as the highest virtue would be wasted.

wilbur
03-03-2011, 10:53 PM
Atlas Shrugged Part II: Attack of the Randroids!

AmPat
03-04-2011, 12:37 AM

-Or-

Atlas Shrugged Part II: Liberals starve to Death.:cool:

Odysseus
03-04-2011, 02:28 PM

Wow, intelligence from Wei and Shoe and now humor from Wilbur. The Apocaplypse is nigh!