PDA

View Full Version : Illinois Officials Spar Over Order to Make List of Gun Owners Public

djones520
03-02-2011, 08:54 PM
In a showdown over the privacy rights of gun owners, the Illinois State Police are refusing to release a list identifying all firearm permit holders in the state after Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan determined that the information "must" be made public.

The dispute, which soon could come before a judge, has been building since last fall when a reporter for The Associated Press made a Freedom of Information Act request to the police for the names of cardholders as well as information about the weapons each permit holder is authorized to carry.

But the state police, who safeguard that information, resisted as lawmakers and others raised privacy concerns. Critics questioned what public interest it would serve to let neighbors look up each other's potential weapons cache -- further, they warned that publicizing the information could put both gun owners and those who don't own guns at risk.

If the state publishes a list of gun owners, Republican Rep. Ron Stephens said, "You are by design also publishing a list of everyone who doesn't" carry a firearm.

That could be comparable to publishing a list of everyone who has, or doesn't have, a car alarm or home-security system, at least in the eyes of those who want to keep the records private.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/03/02/illinois-officials-spar-order-make-list-gun-owners-public/

I hate this fucking state. :mad:

Novaheart
03-02-2011, 10:03 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/03/02/illinois-officials-spar-order-make-list-gun-owners-public/

I hate this fucking state. :mad:

What I hate is when legislators say things like, "We're not trying to take away your second amendment rights, we simply want to...." and then say something which infringes on ones second amendment rights. That bitch from New York, Carolyn Somethingorother said pretty much that. Some guy in Maryland is saying essentially the same thing. "We don't want to infringe on your second amendment rights, we just want to make sure that you guns are locked up and unloaded."

I hate these people. I really do. Stupidity offends me.

Bailey
03-03-2011, 06:46 AM
What I hate is when legislators say things like, "We're not trying to take away your second amendment rights, we simply want to...." and then say something which infringes on ones second amendment rights. That bitch from New York, Carolyn Somethingorother said pretty much that. Some guy in Maryland is saying essentially the same thing. "We don't want to infringe on your second amendment rights, we just want to make sure that you guns are locked up and unloaded."

I hate these people. I really do. Stupidity offends me.

Oh god we agree on something. Is there anything more useless then an unloaded gun? I wish they release a list of women who got abortions.

Bailey
03-03-2011, 08:10 AM
Their POV is if taxpayers money goes to the upkeep of this database the taxpayers should be able to access it, fair enough if it ever comes to pass abortions are taxpayer funded will be able to view a list of those?

jediab
03-03-2011, 10:11 AM
Their POV is if taxpayers money goes to the upkeep of this database the taxpayers should be able to access it, fair enough if it ever comes to pass abortions are taxpayer funded will be able to view a list of those?

In another arguement, how many gun owners would have no problem with tax payers not paying for the upkeep of this database? I sure wouldn't mind if it was cancelled due to lack of funds.

Bailey
03-03-2011, 10:54 AM
In another arguement, how many gun owners would have no problem with tax payers not paying for the upkeep of this database? I sure wouldn't mind if it was cancelled due to lack of funds.

I agree with you, any list that allows any douchbag to know what type of guns you poses or if you are allowed to carry can in the end be used by the state to take away your firearms

djones520
03-03-2011, 11:40 PM
I agree with you, any list that allows any douchbag to know what type of guns you poses or if you are allowed to carry can in the end be used by the state to take away your firearms

There is no list of the guns we own. It's just a list of people registered to possess fire arms.

In Illinois you have to fill out an appliation to get your FOID Card, which is pretty much the State of Illinois giving you permission to possess firearms within the state. The database is everyone on that list. When you registered for it, you were not required to list the firearms you owned, or wished to own.

malloc
03-04-2011, 03:55 AM
Way to make a 'to-do' list for criminals looking to profit off untraceable, stolen firearms Illinois. Why not just give your all too abundant criminal element a list of addresses in shopping list form.

fettpett
03-04-2011, 08:35 AM
There is no list of the guns we own. It's just a list of people registered to possess fire arms.

In Illinois you have to fill out an appliation to get your FOID Card, which is pretty much the State of Illinois giving you permission to possess firearms within the state. The database is everyone on that list. When you registered for it, you were not required to list the firearms you owned, or wished to own.

time to move to IN, WI, IA, MS...shove it up their asses for this and raising their taxes

hoplophobe
03-04-2011, 12:18 PM
Off topic:
With a FOID card, is there still a waiting period for buying a handgun?

In WI we have a 48 hour waiting period even though we go thru an instant background check when buying from a FFL.

djones520
03-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Off topic:
With a FOID card, is there still a waiting period for buying a handgun?

In WI we have a 48 hour waiting period even though we go thru an instant background check when buying from a FFL.

I'm not sure. They don't have CC in the state, so I don't see the point of owning one just yet. Living on a military base, and owning several other guns, I don't need one for home defense.

But I would imagine so. This state has some pretty draconian laws. I've gotta provide proof of my FOID card just to buy ammunition.