PDA

View Full Version : Least Educated Cities In America

NJCardFan
03-03-2011, 08:28 PM
This is an old article from Forbes(2008) but my home town was the #2 least educated city in America:

No. 2 Vineland, N.J.
Statewide, New Jersey sends its high schoolers to college at one of the highest rates in the country. But wherever they're settling after graduation, it's not the Vineland-Millville-Bridgeton area, located in Cumberland County in the southern part of the state.http://www.forbes.com/2008/11/24/economics-education-colorado-biz-beltway-cx_jz_1124educated_slide_13.html?thisSpeed=undefin ed

This is a bit unfair considering that we don't have a 4 year college. All we have is a community college.

megimoo
03-03-2011, 08:49 PM
This is an old article from Forbes(2008) but my home town was the #2 least educated city in America:

This is a bit unfair considering that we don't have a 4 year college. All we have is a community college.
You learn to take these surveys with a grain of salt .They are always loaded in favor of one area over another.

Novaheart
03-03-2011, 09:09 PM
You learn to take these surveys with a grain of salt .They are always loaded in favor of one area over another.

You live in Pittsburgh, don't you?

megimoo
03-03-2011, 09:11 PM
You live in Pittsburgh, don't you?Surely you jest .

MountainMan
03-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Surely you jest .

Don't call me Shirley.

Lanie
03-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Am I the only one who clicks on this stuff expecting to find my city? lol.

PoliCon
03-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Am I the only one who clicks on this stuff expecting to find my city? lol.

with as many universities and democrats as Pittsburgh has - no. I would not expect to find us on either list.

Starbuck
03-05-2011, 01:28 PM
I just can't tell you how proud I am that Mississippi did not make it on the 10 worst educated cities list. I'm sure we would have made it if we had more large cities, though.:)

We rank at the bottom of nearly every other measure of education. Except % of students graduating from high school; there are several states worse than Mississippi.

Our rate is 62%, and that's measured from 9th grade to senior graduation.

NJCardFan
03-05-2011, 01:47 PM
I just can't tell you how proud I am that Mississippi did not make it on the 10 worst educated cities list. I'm sure we would have made it if we had more large cities, though.:)

We rank at the bottom of nearly every other measure of education. Except % of students graduating from high school; there are several states worse than Mississippi.

Our rate is 62%, and that's measured from 9th grade to senior graduation.

Well, Vineland made it and it has a population of about 60K so it isn't exactly a large city. But the criteria is somewhat shoddy. They're holding against the town for not recruiting students ot go to college there? It's a community college for piss sakes! Only in-county residents attend it. Why would someone from, say, Ocean County go to Cumberland County College when they have a county college of their own? Strange.

PoliCon
03-05-2011, 02:15 PM
Well, Vineland made it and it has a population of about 60K so it isn't exactly a large city. But the criteria is somewhat shoddy. They're holding against the town for not recruiting students ot go to college there? It's a community college for piss sakes! Only in-county residents attend it. Why would someone from, say, Ocean County go to Cumberland County College when they have a county college of their own? Strange.

Every PA town of significant size has at least one college or a university. Pittsburgh itself has with in the city limits:

Carlow College
Chatham College
Carnegie Mellon University
University of Pittsburgh
Duquesne University
Point Park University
Art Institute of Pittsburgh
Robert Morris University Pittsburgh Campus
Pittsburgh Theological Seminary

That's not counting the suburban universities and colleges or unaccredited schools.

Starbuck
03-05-2011, 05:40 PM

Just so happens, I've been to Vineland, NJ. I didn't see anything to be a shamed of, or afraid of. People, streets, industrial park. I'd be fine living there.

Kind of a strange survey, I think.:confused:

NJCardFan
03-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Just so happens, I've been to Vineland, NJ. I didn't see anything to be a shamed of, or afraid of. People, streets, industrial park. I'd be fine living there.

Kind of a strange survey, I think.:confused:

There are some parts you want to steer clear of but mostly in center city or what used to be called Landis Township. More specifically, around 4th street and the infamous 6th and Montrose. Where I grew up was a great neighborhood. Close to the mall(which opened in 1974...a big deal then), a million kids around the block, surrounded by farms and a whole lot of woods, which are pretty much gone now. Quiet. The only drawback was early spring when one of the farmers would spread his chicken manure on his fields. East Vineland is very nice. A big drawback is property taxes. There are developments who's property taxes are in the $10K or more range. Hell, in my and my ex's house which was a modest 3BR, 1 bath house, we were paying over $4000 in taxes and that was in the late 80's/early 90's.

AmPat
03-05-2011, 10:42 PM
Seemed like Kalifornistan had several on the list.