PDA

View Full Version : Wis. layoff notices to come Friday

Apocalypse
03-03-2011, 11:06 PM
Wis. layoff notices to come Friday

Thu Mar 3, 5:20 pm ET

MADISON, Wis. – Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker said Thursday that he will issue layoff notices to 1,500 state workers on Friday if his proposal forcing them to pay more for benefits and taking away nearly all their collective bargaining rights isn't passed by then.

Walker also said in an interview with The Associated Press that he is negotiating with Democrats who stymied passage of the bill by leaving the state for changes to the proposal that would get them to return. Walker said he won't compromise on the collective bargaining issue or anything that saves the state money.

"I can't take any of that off the table," he said.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A2KJ3CXdZHBNLiwAp.TQtDMD;_ylu=X3oDMTEzYW1vNTF jBHBvcwMxBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2FjNAR2dGlkA1VTTkMxNl8x/SIG=130b2uhti/EXP=1299240285/**http%3a//news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110303/ap_on_re_us/us_wisconsin_budget_walker_6

KhrushchevsShoe
03-04-2011, 12:43 AM
Congratulations on 1500 new foreclosed homes Wisconsin!* We'll be glad to have you in IL, a state where stripping your rights as a worker probably wont happen for a long time. Also, the cooks have pretty much given up hope destroying what little is left us.

*Obviously not that many, but you get the point

Rockntractor
03-04-2011, 12:47 AM
Congratulations on 1500 new foreclosed homes Wisconsin!* We'll be glad to have you in IL, a state where stripping your rights as a worker probably wont happen for a long time. Also, the cooks have pretty much given up hope destroying what little is left us.

Boo hoo, they made their choice.

lacarnut
03-04-2011, 12:49 AM

An economic recovery will not happen in IL for a long, long time either. With all the crooked politicians and high taxes, that is a given.

djones520
03-04-2011, 12:55 AM
An economic recovery will not happen in IL for a long, long time either. With all the crooked politicians and high taxes, that is a given.

Income taxes where just raised 66% in Illinois this year. I'm sure thats going to go a long way to help with recovery. :rolleyes:

KhrushchevsShoe
03-04-2011, 12:57 AM

Well our state income taxed was raised from being pitifully low and a reason for our horrible budget to about the national average. The Cook County sales tax is a separate issue, but Emanuel needs to win some support to be Daley III and using some pull to get rid of those is a good idea.

Crooked politicians, meh. Daley was pretty crooked but the city worked pretty well with him. Industry moved in, the lakefront looks noticeably better than it did 15 years ago and the streets are plowed when it snows. If it takes a little skimming off the top for Chicago to run a like a world class city then so be it.

The State Government should be taking notes on how to make that work.

Wei Wu Wei
03-04-2011, 12:58 AM
Look at all those jobs walker is creating.

Rockntractor
03-04-2011, 12:59 AM
Look at all those jobs walker is creating.

They had a choice.

KhrushchevsShoe
03-04-2011, 12:59 AM
Boo hoo, they made their choice.

Who is they? Koch? The governor?

From the looks of it quite a few Wisconsinites felt like this was a choice they did not make and do not agree with.

djones520
03-04-2011, 01:00 AM

From the looks of it quite a few Wisconsinites felt like this was a choice they did not make and do not agree with.

Who do you think they are going to blame? The Governer, or the Democrats who ran away from their job and forced this situation on them?

My bet is with the latter.

Rockntractor
03-04-2011, 01:01 AM

Did you just wake up today you fool? I'm not going to read three weeks of news to you.

Apocalypse
03-04-2011, 01:09 AM

Not paying attention to your own state are you?

Since Dan Walker strolled the governor’s mansion in Illinois, the Teacher Retirement has been raided by the corruption that is known as “government” in Illinois. Educators in the state of Illinois pay for 75% of their own retirement, contrary to popular belief. Yet the 25% the state owes has not been paid to the TRS since Jim Edgar’s governance 1991-99. And now the newest governor, Pat Quinn, has proposed a $2.5 billion reduction in state funding to the five state pension systems for the fiscal year that begins July 1, including a $1.3 billion cut to the Teachers’ Retirement System of the State of Illinois (TRS).

Further, this budget blueprint calls for the state to suspend its payments to the pension systems as of March 31, 2009, eliminating $362 million due to TRS in the current fiscal year. The proposed cuts would exacerbate the state’s $73 billion pension debt, of which $41 billion is the Teachers’ Retirement System’s share. The plan perpetuates the broken funding promises that occurred most recently in fiscal years 2006 and 2007 when the state deviated from its statutory funding obligation and cut $2.3 billion in funding to the retirement systems.

Wasn't all too long ago Teachers were protesting in Illinois about the reforms by then Dem governor because the state is broke and could not meet their obligations to the unions. Those coffers are still very empty, and some thing has to change. Plus keep in mind, the congress in your state has changed.

djones520
03-04-2011, 01:14 AM
Not paying attention to your own state are you?

Wasn't all too long ago Teachers were protesting in Illinois about the reforms by then Dem governor because the state is broke and could not meet their obligations to the unions. Those coffers are still very empty, and some thing has to change. Plus keep in mind, the congress in your state has changed.

His IP traces to Alabama, so doubt Illinois is his state.

Rockntractor
03-04-2011, 01:20 AM

Based on his statement in this post.

KhrushchevsShoe
03-04-2011, 01:28 AM

Heh.

I mean half of me finds it funny that my IP supposedly traces to Alabama, the other half is a little worried you're gonna run off and post about to a bunch of rabid partisan whackos.

Rockntractor
03-04-2011, 01:29 AM
Heh.

I mean half of me finds it funny that my IP supposedly traces to Alabama, the other half is a little worried you're gonna run off and post about to a bunch of rabid partisan whackos.

Most of that post made no sense.

Novaheart
03-04-2011, 01:31 AM
It will be fun to watch the little twerp cry when they haul him out of his office.

djones520
03-04-2011, 01:35 AM
Most of that post made no sense.

I think he's saying I'm gonna go post his IP on Free Republic or something, and tell people to go burn his house down.

:rolleyes:

djones520
03-04-2011, 01:37 AM
It will be fun to watch the little twerp cry when they haul him out of his office.

1. There will be no crying.

2. There will be no hauling out of office.

3. For 3 weeks now, he has made it very clear that if the Dems refused to come to the floor, do their job, and actually work to help fix the budget, this was what was going to happen. The only people responsible are those acting like children throwing tempertantrums.

Rockntractor
03-04-2011, 01:39 AM
I think he's saying I'm gonna go post his IP on Free Republic or something, and tell people to go burn his house down.

:rolleyes:

I think he and Nova have both had a little too much to drink tonight.

Novaheart
03-04-2011, 01:48 AM
1. There will be no crying.

2. There will be no hauling out of office.

3. For 3 weeks now, he has made it very clear that if the Dems refused to come to the floor, do their job, and actually work to help fix the budget, this was what was going to happen. The only people responsible are those acting like children throwing tempertantrums.

I should have put it in the subjunctive mood.

txradioguy
03-04-2011, 06:17 AM

No what will be fun is to watch the hissy fit you throw when they don't and the bill in the Senate gets passed.

txradioguy
03-04-2011, 06:20 AM
Originally Posted by KhrushchevsShoe

ONLY a few Wisconsinites feel this way. Walker...if I remember correctly was elected to the office of Governor by a slightly larger majority than Obama had over McCain in 2008.

And Wisconsin went for Obama too.

Try again troll.

txradioguy
03-04-2011, 06:27 AM
Originally Posted by KhrushchevsShoe

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/2014/dogstupid.jpg

Arroyo_Doble
03-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Like a bank robber or a pirate. Give in to his demands or he starts tossing bodies out the door.

Rockntractor
03-04-2011, 09:31 AM
Like a bank robber or a pirate. Give in to his demands or he starts tossing bodies out the door.
Drama queen!

Arroyo_Doble
03-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Drama queen!

I would be insulted yet I am not because of all the accusations by people who know me of being taciturn, phlegmatic and generally aloof.

Rockntractor
03-04-2011, 09:52 AM
phlegmatic

I hope you get rid of your cold.:)

Novaheart
03-04-2011, 09:56 AM
No what will be fun is to watch the hissy fit you throw when they don't and the bill in the Senate gets passed.

Naw, I have a safety valve. See, Wisskah'zin is in the .... M i d w e s t (ewwww, I feel tainted simply saying it) , so I can default to not giving a damn what happens there and writing it off to the stupidity of people for choosing to live there.

Adam Wood
03-04-2011, 10:14 AM
Look at all those jobs walker is creating.Yep. About fifteen hundred just created right there. Walker needs to fire more people and create more jobs.

Adam Wood
03-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Who is they? Koch? The governor?The unions.

From the looks of it quite a few Wisconsinites felt like this was a choice they did not make and do not agree with.The people of Wisconsin overwhelmingly voted in both this governor and the Republican majority who ran on this. This is what the people of Wisconsin wanted in the first place. This is most definitely a choice that they made. The 87% of people in Wisconsin who are not union thugs are sick and tired of being bullied by the organized crime that is unions. They have said as much at the ballot box.

lacarnut
03-04-2011, 01:16 PM
Yep. About fifteen hundred just created right there. Walker needs to fire more people and create more jobs.

That's the kind of math that democrats like Clinton and Obama use. So, why not us.

Adam Wood
03-04-2011, 02:41 PM
That's the kind of math that democrats like Clinton and Obama use. So, why not us.Exactly. Walker is just making room for people who want to work. That's all.

Rebel Yell
03-04-2011, 03:06 PM

You know IL isn't the only state bordering WI, right?

lacarnut
03-04-2011, 03:41 PM
You know IL isn't the only state bordering WI, right?

Moving from WI to IL would be like jumping from a pot of boiling water into a frying pan. Anyhow, that's what called liberal stupidity.

hoplophobe
03-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Maybe they can go to Detroit. They can get all the Democrat, big government and big spending they want...and all that goes with it.

Lager
03-04-2011, 04:14 PM
I'm honestly interested in hearing from the union defenders, why they believe public employees need a union. I'm not firmly opposed to unions in general, especially in areas of employment where management and labor might be at some odds. But who employs public workers? State or Federal governments. The government has no need to make massive profits off these workers, provide unsafe conditions or work them to the ground. Is this not true?

Rebel Yell
03-04-2011, 04:28 PM
I'm honestly interested in hearing from the union defenders, why they believe public employees need a union. I'm not firmly opposed to unions in general, especially in areas of employment where management and labor might be at some odds. But who employs public workers? State or Federal governments. The government has no need to make massive profits off these workers, provide unsafe conditions or work them to the ground. Is this not true?

I want to know why no one is protesting at the federal level. Is state workers need a union, I'm sure the federal workers would benefit the same.

Rockntractor
03-04-2011, 04:31 PM
These people will be snatched up by the private sector immediately, they are willing to work 9 months a year for a measly 80,000 + free medical and free pension after 20 years. Some of them even have degrees in psychology and social studies, they're a steal!

lacarnut
03-04-2011, 04:38 PM
These people will be snatched up by the private sector immediately, they are willing to work 9 months a year for a measly 80,000 + free medical and free pension after 20 years. Some of them even have degrees in psychology and social studies, they're a steal!

While you are fantasizing, don't forget how productive they are.:rolleyes::) 2/3 of the 8th graders do not meet the minimum reading standards.

AmPat
03-04-2011, 05:02 PM
Well our state income taxed was raised from being pitifully low and a reason for our horrible budget to about the national average. The Cook County sales tax is a separate issue, but Emanuel needs to win some support to be Daley III and using some pull to get rid of those is a good idea.

Crooked politicians, meh. Daley was pretty crooked but the city worked pretty well with him. Industry moved in, the lakefront looks noticeably better than it did 15 years ago and the streets are plowed when it snows. If it takes a little skimming off the top for Chicago to run a like a world class city then so be it.

A balanced budget with zero state income tax is being done by states right now so I say BS to your BS.

Chicago being run by crooked politicians in illegal ways is not the first or only option. Leave it to a lib to be myopic about virtue and legalities.

Odysseus
03-04-2011, 06:36 PM

If they wanted to keep their jobs, they should have stayed at them instead of abandoning them to engage in idiotic street theater. The union had the option of no layoffs, but a reduction in its power, or 1500 laid off workers and a shot at maintaining its perks. They chose to screw 1500 of their fellow workers. So much for solidarity.

I don't recall hearing about Chicago ever running like a world class city. In fact, from everything that I've seen, if you take the lakefront properties out of the equation, it's Detroit. An interesting piece on the subject at American Thinker a few weeks ago:

Odysseus
03-04-2011, 06:39 PM
February 13, 2011
The Cesspool Obama and I Crawled Out Of
By Jonathan David Carson
A Memoir of life in Hyde Park

Elvin Bishop, a fine guitarist, but perhaps not always the best judge of human affairs, said that he liked Hyde Park because you could piss in the sink there. I don't remember doing that, though I can't say I didn't; but I do have many vivid memories of Hyde Park before it became the gentrified home of Barack and Michelle Obama.

Claire and I went into a fried chicken place and sat in a booth. At the counter was a drunk cop, and in front of the juke box a young black moved his legs in time to the music, deciding what to play next. The cop told him to stop dancing, but he put in another dime. The cop told him again and got up from his seat, staggering over next to us. He drew his revolver and tried to point it at the offender. It floated lazily upward, turning this way and that, as if it had a drunken mind of its own, stumbled, and fell to the level of the table. Then it seemed to clear its head and rose again, only to fall clattering to the floor.

The song over, the dancer left, and the waitress brought us our chicken.

We went into a liquor store to get change for the Laundromat. A man came in to hold the place up, so we retreated to the back. For some reason, despite the exchange of several shots, the result was still in doubt, and Claire and I became impatient. By now it was time to put the clothes in the dryer. There was no help for it, so we walked past the register and out the door.

It was late and cold. Conrad and I were walking down 53rd Street. There were more than the usual number of thirteen and fourteen-year-old black kids with their car antennas, but nothing happened till we reached a four-stand hamburger joint, the only circle of light for blocks around. Suddenly, from across the street came thirty or forty of these kids, their leader screaming, "Now we're all going to get supper tonight!"

Conrad froze, and I pulled him into the middle of the street, toward the attackers, but where we would be somewhat protected by the traffic. Conrad still wouldn't react, and when I turned to pull him back again, the antennas started coming down in my face. That seemed to wake him up, and we got away.

After making it a few blocks, we came to a patrol car. I said to the officer, "They're playing it a little rough back there."

"A little rough?"

"A little rough."

"Whereabouts?"

We told him, and he drove off in the opposite direction.

Claire and I were startled awake by the sound of a gun going off in the alley. I looked over at her with deep feeling and knew that I could never really protect her. "Claire," I began, but she yawned and turned over. She just wanted to go back to sleep.

It started to rain. Hard. The little mouse scurried across the hall, and we knew we were in for it. Sewage came up through the floor. I bailed it, futilely, stupidly, into the bathtub, from which it undoubtedly went right back where it came from. Soon our mattress was an island, and then it went under. The only dry place was our roommate's bed, and after an hour's struggle, Claire and I gave up and lay down on it. I put on a Paul McCartney record, a truly incongruous choice, and despite the unromantic setting, Claire was especially friendly. Puzzled, I asked her why, and she told me it was because I had tried so hard against the flood.

A few hours later, the sewage subsided, and we took our mattress out to dry.

I couldn't sleep. Too many memories...

I came home from work one summer covered with tar. There was Conrad with two girls on the roof. Only one was pretty, and he wouldn't leave her alone. I didn't want to be bothered. I needed a bath, and there was Conrad.

The next day there was a "be-in" at the Point, where a park juts out into Lake Michigan. Five hundred people, black and white, stoned and straight, in a picnic atmosphere. At the center were half a dozen conga players.

Next thing you know three carloads of police arrived to tell the drummers to quit. The crowd argued back, black and white together, and when the police put people in their squad cars, the crowd rescued them. They'd surround a car, and before the police could get out, someone would get down on his knees, shielded by everyone else, and slash the tires. It was great fun to watch the crippled vehicles roll off on their rims.

Hundreds of police reinforcements arrived and stood in a long line. They ordered everyone to leave and fondled their nightsticks. One big fat one put on a pair of black gloves, to the general merriment of the crowd. The line moved forward, people scattered all over the park, and it took hours for the police to clear the place, so they took out their frustrations by beating a few bystanders half to death.

Afterward I found Claudia (the pretty one) on the roof again. We visited a friend, and the next day we took a long walk, with her Golden Retriever swimming in a pond after sticks I threw.

I was to see her again the next day after work, but John and I got home early when the job ran out, so there were a couple of hours to kill before Claudia got home. A smoke, Chuck Berry, and out for frisbee. We were both playing hard, running flat-out for long throws. I stretched way out for a low one -- and stepped in a hole. John had to take me to Michelle Obama's hospital.

Claudia waited for me, but when I didn't come, she went out for a walk. She was raped on the rocks by the lake.

Once Jan came to visit John and me in our cardboard-walled basement. Only John was home. He heard a scratch and went out to investigate. There she was, down the street, across a shoulder, but he caught up and managed to free her.

Lisa was eleven when she was first raped. Just dragged into the bushes on a crowded street.

Claire had hers under the mailbox of a Southside apartment. That was before I met her. It would have destroyed my mind.

I remembered, could not sleep, and wondered what it was like to hold in my arms a girl who had not been raped.

I was a transportation man in Billings Hospital -- before Michelle Obama made a ton of money pretending that it wasn't as corrupt as the rest of the damned town. It was my job to take the bodies of patients who had died to the morgue. I never had a job where I got fewer complaints.

But if they make you work all night, on each floor there's a long deserted corridor and a lonely black woman laboriously making her way from one end to another in a silence that lasts years.

Down in Emergency every night in February thirty big black women come in with pneumonia, and a quart of green mucus is sucked from each one's lungs. There are people sitting for hours with bullet wounds, brooding over how they happened. Saturday night someone like that arrives every few minutes and all the doctors split, leaving only a few interns.

A surgeon makes a mistake in an operation, the patient dies, the surgeon sews him back up, writes in the chart that the operation was a success, and sends the body to the recovery room so the nurses there can get the blame.

A transportation man, black, with thick lips, gently maneuvers a patient from the recovery room into the elevator that never meets the floor, pushes the patient to Neurosurgery, carefully slides this living man onto his bed, shifts the IV bottle, and goes for someone else.

A doctor comes in, fumbles around with the bandage, and kills the man. "This patient is dead," he shouts. "He brought a dead man here."

The transportation man is summoned and the ward clerk told to call the wife, you'd better come, your husband has taken a turn for the worse.

Snip
John and I lived in a $60 a month basement on 61st Street. The walls were made of cardboard; a maze of pipes ran everywhere, carrying waste from the toilets upstairs, through the kitchen, past the coal pile.

The bullet-scarred building to the north was a whorehouse, and little black kids ran out front. One couldn't have been more than two feet tall, but did she hate white people! When I tried to walk past, she'd block the way, beat on my leg, and after I was finally able to get by without hurting her, scream, "I showed you. Don't ever come back again."

Lake Michigan was about a mile to the east, but these children were so deprived that they had never seen it. They might grow into their teens without going more than a few blocks from home. Once a dog walked by, and they went wild with excitement. It was the first they had ever seen.

This was the only place I'd ever been that had junior high school students carrying shotguns.

Snip
Snow in Hyde Park was beautiful -- until three minutes later it was covered with soot, garbage, dog crap, puke. All winter long the snow preserved this excrement and after "the leaden winter" you thought "would bring you down forever" ended, the snow melted all at once and left it to rot in the three day Hyde Park spring.

"In this dirty old heart of the city / Where the sun refuse to shine / People say there ain no use in trying....We've got to get out of this place / If it's the last thing we ever do."

Claire and I got out. I wish Michelle and Barack hadn't.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2011/02/the_cesspool_obama_and_i_crawl.html at March 04, 2011 - 05:27:47 PM CST

But, as you're so blase about political corruption, you'll understand if we don't take you seriously the next time you complain about some practice that offends your delicate sensibilities.

Apocalypse
03-04-2011, 07:13 PM

So your saying we should stand strong and not buckle to the demands of the fleebaggers who are holding the legislative process hostage demanding that the Government give in to the demands of the unions so they can continue to rob the state coffers like bank robbers acting like pirates?

Cant agree more.

KhrushchevsShoe
03-04-2011, 08:49 PM
3rd largest metropolitan area in the USA, IIRC in top 25 largest in the world. You're going to find your bad parts of town with bad people in them like any other city its size.

Most of the attacks against Chicago are rooted in partisan jabs at the unpopular sitting president. So you can read what you want but I've lived here for a better part of my life and can tell you the city runs fairly well.

Apocalypse
03-04-2011, 09:02 PM
3rd largest metropolitan area in the USA, IIRC in top 25 largest in the world. You're going to find your bad parts of town with bad people in them like any other city its size.

Most of the attacks against Chicago are rooted in partisan jabs at the unpopular sitting president. So you can read what you want but I've lived here for a better part of my life and can tell you the city runs fairly well.

Dude, Chicago has been corrupt for years.

Mob rule

Corrupt voting method

so on and so forth.

NJCardFan
03-04-2011, 09:38 PM

So what you're saying is that Capone set up shop in Hoboken or that Obama was around in the 30's?

Odysseus
03-05-2011, 04:10 PM

I didn't say that Chicago wasn't a big city. I said that it wasn't a world class city (your words).

It routinely places among the worst cities to live in, and last year, was cited as one of the ten most miserable in America (http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Economy/story?id=6845277&page=1):

Chicago would seem to be on quite a roll these days. The city is a leading contender to host the Summer Olympics in 2016. The hometown Cubs had the most wins of any team in the National League last year and are one of the early favorites to win the 2009 World Series. And, of course, one of its own just became the most powerful person in the world (we're not talking about Oprah either, but she's close).

So with all of the good vibes coming out of Chicago, how does it show up as the third worst city on our second annual list of America's Most Miserable Cities?

Lousy weather, long commutes, rising unemployment and the highest sales tax rate in the country are to blame for the Windy City being near the top of our list. High rates of corruption by public officials didn't help either

In other words, it's the third largest city in the country and the third worst city to live in. NYC and LA weren't even in the top 10, which makes Chicago the largest miserable city in America.

KhrushchevsShoe
03-05-2011, 04:51 PM
The Chicago Cubs are terrible! Oh no! Guess that seals it, Chicago is an awful place to live. You actually tried citing one of those ridiculous Forbes slide show pieces as to why you think I should be miserable. Too bad I'm not, and nor are most of the people who live here. Sure the climate sucks and traffic can be terrible, but companies are still attracted to the city.

I actually started looking some things up and its quite obvious that by almost any metric Chicago is a world class city. 7th largest financial center in the world (ahead of DC, Frankfurt, Paris and Beijing). On a Global Cities Index released in 2008 that evaluates global political, economic and cultural influence Chicago placed 6, in between Hong Kong and Los Angeles.

The kicker, Forbes, the same site you tried using to say Chicago was a miserable city, listed Chicago as the 5th most influential city in the world economy.

http://www.forbes.com/2008/07/15/economic-growth-gdp-biz-cx_jz_0715powercities_slide_6.html?thisSpeed=undef ined

SaintLouieWoman
03-05-2011, 05:09 PM
For all the smokers here, Chicago apparently has an extremely high tax on cigarettes. When I was still living and working in St Louis, some of the vertical marketing people from the regional headquarters would buy cigs in St Louis to take back to the folks back in Chicago.

Their gas taxesl are much higher than in Missouri. The folks at my former employer who lived in Illinois and crossed the bridge to work in St Louis always filled their gas tanks before returning to Illinois.

You'd think with those high gas taxes that the roads would be greyt. Wrong again. The road between St Louis and Chicago was always in a bad state of repair.

Then there's that awful weather. St Louis has cold enough weather, but Chicago's is always far worse.

fettpett
03-05-2011, 05:27 PM
The Chicago Cubs are terrible! Oh no! Guess that seals it, Chicago is an awful place to live. You actually tried citing one of those ridiculous Forbes slide show pieces as to why you think I should be miserable. Too bad I'm not, and nor are most of the people who live here. Sure the climate sucks and traffic can be terrible, but companies are still attracted to the city.

I actually started looking some things up and its quite obvious that by almost any metric Chicago is a world class city. 7th largest financial center in the world (ahead of DC, Frankfurt, Paris and Beijing). On a Global Cities Index released in 2008 that evaluates global political, economic and cultural influence Chicago placed 6, in between Hong Kong and Los Angeles.

The kicker, Forbes, the same site you tried using to say Chicago was a miserable city, listed Chicago as the 5th most influential city in the world economy.

http://www.forbes.com/2008/07/15/economic-growth-gdp-biz-cx_jz_0715powercities_slide_6.html?thisSpeed=undef ined

I have no idea what you've been smoking dude. Chicago is a shit hole. There are area that the cops will not go at all and they tell you not to stop if you go through that area. The people are assholes and think they are the shit. Chicago politics have been currupt for DECADES and has nothing to do with Obama, in fact the opposite i true most people don't trust him because he came OUT of the Chicago political machine.

Odysseus
03-05-2011, 06:37 PM

Too bad you can't say the same for the people. Chicago has lost roughly 7% of its population in the last decade, going from 2,896,016 in 2000 to 2,695,598 in 2010 a drop of 6.9%. Any city that loses than many people has got to be pretty miserable, and the corruption, crime and high taxes all contribute to that misery. The corruption is well documented, and even you acknowledge it, so let's talk about the other factors.

Crime: In 2008, Chicago had the 2nd highest number of murders in the country. It has the 13th highest overall rate for murders in 2009. I checked a few sites that rank cities by violent crime, and discovered that Chicago withholds some of its crime stats (forcible rape, for example) from the FBI, which makes it impossible to determine the overall violent crime rate, but between the high murder and robbery rates (11th in the nation for robbery, and first among the largest cities), we can guess why they didn't want to be ranked across the board.

Taxes: From Wikipedia:

The city of Chicago previously had the highest total sales tax of all major U.S. cities (10.25%), which was a major reference point until the rate was decreased to 9.75% as of July 1, 2010.[not in citation given][65] It is also one of the most complex. 9.75% is levied on all non-perishable goods purchased, while 2% is levied on qualifying food, drugs, medicines and medical appliances.[not in citation given] [65] The Illinois Department of Revenue collects a 3% Chicago Soft Drink Tax and a 1% Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority (MPEA) "Food and Beverage Tax", on prepared food and beverage purchases in the downtown area (These "downtown" boundaries are: Surf Street on the north, Ashland Avenue on the west, Stevenson Expressway (I-55) on the south, & Lake Michigan on the east. Furthermore, O'Hare and Midway airports also fall under the 1% MPEA tax district).[66] In addition, the Chicago Department of Revenue collects additional sales taxes on items such as fountain drinks, bottled water, liquor, and cigarettes

Illinois was the highest tax state when local taxes were factored in.

Now, I don't mean to suggest that you personally ought to be miserable. You're a leftist, and leftists create misery, they don't necessarily experience it.

Link? Not that I doubt the word of an avowed socialist, but I would like to see the criteria that they used to come to that conclusion.

Given the state of the global economy, that's not something to brag about.

I have no idea what you've been smoking dude. Chicago is a shit hole. There are area that the cops will not go at all and they tell you not to stop if you go through that area. The people are assholes and think they are the shit. Chicago politics have been currupt for DECADES and has nothing to do with Obama, in fact the opposite i true most people don't trust him because he came OUT of the Chicago political machine.

And, because he wasn't a native, but took to the corrupt machine the way that a duck takes to water.

AmPat
03-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by KhrushchevsShoe View Post

http://www.forbes.com/2008/07/15/eco...peed=undefined
Is this supposed to be a positive? The world economy is in the toilet, something the cesspool of Chicago ought to know something about.