PDA

View Full Version : Judge Orders 'Expedited Appeal' of Obamacare for the Good of the Nation

Gingersnap
03-04-2011, 10:05 AM
Judge Orders 'Expedited Appeal' of Obamacare for the Good of the Nation
Friday, March 04, 2011
By Susan Jones

John Boehner, House health care bill
http://i56.tinypic.com/id7n60.jpg
House Minority Leader John Boehner appears with a copy of the Democrats’ version of the health care bill during a news conference on Capitol Hill on Thursday, Oct. 29, 2009. (AP Photo/Harry Hamburg)

(CNSNews.com) - A federal judge in Florida, clearly annoyed by the Justice Department's request for "clarification" of his ruling that the new health care law is unconstitutional, on Thursday granted a stay of his February ruling -- but only if the government files an appeal seeking an expedited review of that ruling, either in the Court of Appeals or with the Supreme Court, within 7 days.

Judge Roger Vinson noted that the Obama administration has had more than a month to file an appeal and has not yet done so. "It should not be at all difficult or challenging to 'fast-track' this case," he wrote in his clarification.

"It is very important to everyone in this country that this case move forward as soon as practically possible."

In clarifying his order, Judge Vinson noted that he declared the health care law's individual mandate unconstitutional -- and because the individual mandate provision cannot be separated from the rest of the law, "the entire legislation was void."

"This declaratory judgment was expected to be treated as the 'practical' and 'functional equivalent of an injunction,'" Vinson wrote in Thursday's clarification. But instead, he added, the Obama administration ignored the order and continued implementing the law.

CNS News (http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/judge-orders-expedited-appeal-obamacare)

Novaheart
03-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Time for Single Payer. Before this is over, we will have it and the Republicans will take credit for it. I can live with that.

Arroyo_Doble
03-04-2011, 10:21 AM
Perhaps the legal experts can explain why this judge's opinion trumps other court opinions upholding the law. I am not being sarcastic, I really don't know the dynamics on this particular issue.

lacarnut
03-04-2011, 12:17 PM
Perhaps the legal experts can explain why this judge's opinion trumps other court opinions upholding the law. I am not being sarcastic, I really don't know the dynamics on this particular issue.

I don't know either. However, it is really stupid for the administration to keep kicking the can down the road when everyone knows that it will eventually wind up in the S.C. I assume they will try this tactic as long as possible knowing that there is a 50/50 chance that it will be overruled.

Bailey
03-04-2011, 12:26 PM
I don't know either. However, it is really stupid for the administration to keep kicking the can down the road when everyone knows that it will eventually wind up in the S.C. I assume they will try this tactic as long as possible knowing that there is a 50/50 chance that it will be overruled.

I guess the magic Negro is stalling it until Clarence Thomas is either recused or removed.

Novaheart
03-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Damned activist judges.

Odysseus
03-04-2011, 06:58 PM
Time for Single Payer. Before this is over, we will have it and the Republicans will take credit for it. I can live with that.

Tell you what: You got Britain for a couple of years and let us know how you like the NHS before you start talking about single payer.

I haven't seen any that uphold the law. The judge found the purchase mandate to be unconstitutional, and not severable from the rest of the law.

PoliCon
03-04-2011, 08:32 PM

Can we please ban this asshole the next time he brings up this single payer bullshit?

PoliCon
03-04-2011, 08:33 PM

The administration knows that a bureaucracy once in place in next to impossible to disassemble. They will stall as long as possible in their attempts to allow the bureaucracy to be assembled and people to become dependent upon it.

Novaheart
03-04-2011, 08:35 PM
Tell you what: You got Britain for a couple of years and let us know how you like the NHS before you start talking about single payer.

NHS and Single Payer aren't the same thing. How many times do you need to be told this? You are on NHS, I want to give you options.

Rockntractor
03-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Can we please ban this asshole the next time he brings up this single payer bullshit?
I wish we had a special window licker forum to move their posts to.

Odysseus
03-05-2011, 04:13 PM
NHS and Single Payer aren't the same thing. How many times do you need to be told this? You are on NHS, I want to give you options.

Single payer is a government run monopoly. That, by its very nature, means no options except submission to the bureaucracy.

Rockntractor
03-05-2011, 04:48 PM
Single payer is a government run monopoly. That, by its very nature, means no options except submission to the bureaucracy.

Any time someone is exclusively paying all the bills, they call the shots, common sense.
The very fact they passed this bill, despite overwhelming public opposition, is proof the won't listen to us in medical decisions.