PoliCon
03-04-2011, 11:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WnS96NVlMI

PoliCon
03-04-2011, 11:50 PM
HOLY SHIT COMMON SENSE! :eek:

NJCardFan
03-05-2011, 12:46 AM
It's a team effort actually and no one is blameless and that includes insurance companies, doctors/healthcare providers, and patients. Here's the vicious cycle:

Mr. Smith gets the sniffles and goes to the doctor. Dr. sees him for 5 minutes and writes him several prescriptions. Dr. charges Mr. Smith's insurance company $85 for the visit even though the entire experience, save for the hour wait in the waiting room and the examining room, the total time seen by staff and doctor is around 10 minutes. The prescriptions run between $50-$100 each to the insurance company. Because of this, the insurance premiums remain high. Now, before the advent of HMO's, if Mr. Smith got the sniffles, he'd have 2 choices. He'd either shell out whatever the doctor was charging or he'd stay home, drink lots of liquids and eat chicken soup and take OTC remedies and he'd be well in the same amount of time.

PoliCon
03-05-2011, 11:49 AM
It's a team effort actually and no one is blameless and that includes insurance companies, doctors/healthcare providers, and patients. Here's the vicious cycle:

Mr. Smith gets the sniffles and goes to the doctor. Dr. sees him for 5 minutes and writes him several prescriptions. Dr. charges Mr. Smith's insurance company $85 for the visit even though the entire experience, save for the hour wait in the waiting room and the examining room, the total time seen by staff and doctor is around 10 minutes. The prescriptions run between $50-$100 each to the insurance company. Because of this, the insurance premiums remain high. Now, before the advent of HMO's, if Mr. Smith got the sniffles, he'd have 2 choices. He'd either shell out whatever the doctor was charging or he'd stay home, drink lots of liquids and eat chicken soup and take OTC remedies and he'd be well in the same amount of time.

did you watch the video?:confused:

NJCardFan
03-05-2011, 02:07 PM
did you watch the video?:confused:

Is there something I said that missed the point? I believe I pegged it.

Novaheart
03-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Does car insurance make MAACO more expensive?

Rockntractor
03-05-2011, 02:17 PM

Start a thread about car insurance.

PoliCon
03-05-2011, 02:17 PM
Is there something I said that missed the point? I believe I pegged it.

Did you watch the video or not?

PoliCon
03-05-2011, 02:19 PM
Start a thread about car insurance.

The fucktard is ignoring that car insurance only covers major issues such as accidents - not the every day stuff like changing your windshield washer fluid. :rolleyes:

NJCardFan
03-05-2011, 03:04 PM
Did you watch the video or not?

Uh, yes you twit hence my comment about pegging it. :rolleyes:

NJCardFan
03-05-2011, 03:19 PM

Car insurance in comparing it to health insurance isn't even in the league. You can't use car insurance to repair a tire. You can't use car insurance to replace your brakes. You can't use car insurance to replace a broken antenna. The least thing you can use car insurance for is windshield repair but that's a specific rider you can add. And truth be told, that is a waste of money as windshields are relatively inexpensive to replace. Even so, you have to pay more for repairs. Now, compare that with health insurance. You can use your health insurance on almost anything save for some cosmetic stuff. So, next time get a clue before spouting off.

PoliCon
03-05-2011, 03:26 PM
Uh, yes you twit hence my comment about pegging it. :rolleyes:

Asking for clarification rather than jumping to conclusions makes me a twit?? :confused:

PoliCon
03-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Car insurance in comparing it to health insurance isn't even in the league. You can't use car insurance to repair a tire. You can't use car insurance to replace your brakes. You can't use car insurance to replace a broken antenna. The least thing you can use car insurance for is windshield repair but that's a specific rider you can add. And truth be told, that is a waste of money as windshields are relatively inexpensive to replace. Even so, you have to pay more for repairs. Now, compare that with health insurance. You can use your health insurance on almost anything save for some cosmetic stuff. So, next time get a clue before spouting off.

And car insurance doesn't pay for every time you take the car to a garage just to be told that there is nothing wrong with the car.

NJCardFan
03-05-2011, 04:05 PM
Asking for clarification rather than jumping to conclusions makes me a twit?? :confused:

No, you're already a twit.

PoliCon
03-05-2011, 04:06 PM
No, you're already a twit.

I always knew you loved me. :p

Starbuck
03-05-2011, 05:37 PM
I go to a Chiropractor. Pay for it myself.

25$ per visit. No appointment. Just walk in, get adjusted, pay the 25$ and walk out.

And that's the way it ought to work.

I think the same thing has been happening to college tuition. Most people, one way or the other, are paying with funny money these days. Even if the student is footing the bill, he feels like he has to have student loans, and then try to have them forgiven. Sometimes it works.
And now our little town of Tupelo, MS is trying to set up a program to pay students' college tuition. No obligation. I'm against it.

Anytime funny money is involved, the price goes straight up.

Novaheart
03-05-2011, 06:10 PM
I go to a Chiropractor. Pay for it myself.

25$ per visit. No appointment. Just walk in, get adjusted, pay the 25$ and walk out.

And that's the way it ought to work.

I think the same thing has been happening to college tuition. Most people, one way or the other, are paying with funny money these days. Even if the student is footing the bill, he feels like he has to have student loans, and then try to have them forgiven. Sometimes it works.
And now our little town of Tupelo, MS is trying to set up a program to pay students' college tuition. No obligation. I'm against it.

Anytime funny money is involved, the price goes straight up.

In Florida we have a prepaid college program. If you sign up when a kid is born, it's ridiculously cheap.

PoliCon
03-05-2011, 06:20 PM
In Florida we have a prepaid college program. If you sign up when a kid is born, it's ridiculously cheap.

at least when you pre-pay you're the one actually paying.

NJCardFan
03-05-2011, 07:09 PM
This is as old as the hills. It's called a savings account. Even savings bonds went a long way toward college. Sadly, when going to college amounts to the GDP of some small island nation, these methods no longer work.