PDA

View Full Version : " Jersey City Cops Panic Over a Guy Carrying A Baseball Bat !"

megimoo
03-05-2011, 08:04 AM
Heavily armed police officers from several jurisdictions converged on Journal Square after getting reports of a man carrying a shotgun there this morning, but appears it was only a baseball bat, officials said.

Hudson County Community College and a nearby public school were locked down following reports by several people shortly before 9:30 a.m. saying a man with part of a shotgun protruding from his clothing had entered several businesses and a military recruiting office.

A command center was set up near the Landmark Loews Jersey Theatre and at one point officers armed with assault rifles and shotguns shouted for pedestrians to stand back as they swarmed into the Wells Fargo bank at the corner of Kennedy Boulevard and Bergen Avenue.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2011/03/sightings_of_shotgun_draws_mas.html

NJCardFan
03-05-2011, 10:05 AM
Um, misleading to say the least Moo. Cops didn't panic. They responded to a call of a guy with a shotgun. What was the purpose of you titling this thread this way? You're making it out to be an overkill response by the police when in fact, I'm glad they responded the way they did. There were 2 schools in the area as well as a bank. What would you prefer? They send a meter maid to check it out? Or should they have waited for the guy to start shooting?

Sonnabend
03-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Because he's an idiot?

NJCardFan
03-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Because he's an idiot?

I wouldn't say idiot but this thread certainly doesn't make sense.

Rockntractor
03-05-2011, 07:58 PM
I could see how a blunderbuss barrel sticking out of a backpack would look like a baseball bat.
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/84423.jpg
Blunderbuss crime is way down around here.

Rockntractor
03-05-2011, 08:05 PM
I wouldn't say idiot but this thread certainly doesn't make sense.

The people that made the report were a little strange, It wasn't the police departments fault because a shotgun was being reported, not a baseball bat, so I don't think the OP was necessarily pointing fingers at the police.

NJCardFan
03-05-2011, 10:24 PM
The people that made the report were a little strange, It wasn't the police departments fault because a shotgun was being reported, not a baseball bat, so I don't think the OP was necessarily pointing fingers at the police.

Maybe you should re-read the title of this thread and the actual title of the article.

Rockntractor
03-05-2011, 10:32 PM
Maybe you should re-read the title of this thread and the actual title of the article.

That may be how Drudge titled it, I really don't know. The police response to several callers saying man with a shotgun was correct. The witnesses that called, mistaking baseball bat for gun is strange.