PDA

View Full Version : Exclusive: NASA Scientist Claims Evidence of Alien Life on Meteorite

djones520
03-05-2011, 11:53 PM
We are not alone in the universe -- and alien life forms may have a lot more in common with life on Earth than we had previously thought.

That's the stunning conclusion one NASA scientist has come to, releasing his groundbreaking revelations in a new study in the March edition of the Journal of Cosmology.

Dr. Richard B. Hoover, an astrobiologist with NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center, has traveled to remote areas in Antarctica, Siberia, and Alaska, amongst others, for over ten years now, collecting and studying meteorites. He gave FoxNews.com early access to the out-of-this-world research, published late Friday evening in the March edition of the Journal of Cosmology. In it, Hoover describes the latest findings in his study of an extremely rare class of meteorites, called CI1 carbonaceous chondrites -- only nine such meteorites are known to exist on Earth.

Though it may be hard to swallow, Hoover is convinced that his findings reveal fossil evidence of bacterial life within such meteorites, the remains of living organisms from their parent bodies -- comets, moons and other astral bodies. By extension, the findings suggest we are not alone in the universe, he said.

“I interpret it as indicating that life is more broadly distributed than restricted strictly to the planet earth,” Hoover told FoxNews.com. “This field of study has just barely been touched -- because quite frankly, a great many scientist would say that this is impossible.”

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/03/05/exclusive-nasa-scientists-claims-evidence-alien-life-meteorite/?test=latestnews

I'm not sure how "real" this is, but it's gonna be pretty groundbreaking.

Rockntractor
03-05-2011, 11:55 PM
Allrighty then!:confused::rolleyes:

PoliCon
03-05-2011, 11:56 PM
odds are that it's something from earth coming back home again.

djones520
03-05-2011, 11:58 PM
Allrighty then!:confused::rolleyes:

Just think about it Rock. There could be pigs on other planets!

Rockntractor
03-05-2011, 11:59 PM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/alien1.jpg

SAMSPADE
03-06-2011, 06:39 AM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/alien1.jpgWas it Micheal Moore?

The Night Owl
03-06-2011, 02:12 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/03/05/exclusive-nasa-scientists-claims-evidence-alien-life-meteorite/?test=latestnews

I'm not sure how "real" this is, but it's gonna be pretty groundbreaking.

The Journal of Cosmology does not exactly inspire confidence.

Calypso Jones
03-06-2011, 03:55 PM
Hoover is being incredibly open about his paper. As stated above, peer scrutiny has already begun, to the tune of 100 experts who have started dissecting his work in advance of its official publication. A broader, more general invitation was issued to a further 5,000 scientists as well, making this one of the most vetted scientific papers ever. This vetting is a good thing, as Hoover has made claims like this before with other meteorites that ultimately did not pan out.

Should the paper hold up, however, the game is well and truly changed. We are not just "not alone," we are common. [Yahoo News, The Guardian]

pffft.

The Night Owl
03-06-2011, 08:58 PM
Hoover is being incredibly open about his paper. As stated above, peer scrutiny has already begun, to the tune of 100 experts who have started dissecting his work in advance of its official publication. A broader, more general invitation was issued to a further 5,000 scientists as well, making this one of the most vetted scientific papers ever. This vetting is a good thing, as Hoover has made claims like this before with other meteorites that ultimately did not pan out.

Should the paper hold up, however, the game is well and truly changed. We are not just "not alone," we are common. [Yahoo News, The Guardian]

pffft.

Inviting scientists to review a paper doesn't make the paper vetted. They have to actually review it.

Rockntractor
03-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Inviting scientists to review a paper doesn't make the paper vetted. They have to actually review it.

o the tune of 100 experts who have started dissecting his work in advance of its official publication. A broader, more general invitation was issued to a further 5,000 scientists as well,
It sounds pretty thorough to me, I'm sure they will disprove any possible life from extraterrestrial sources.

NJCardFan
03-06-2011, 11:01 PM
So there is bacteria in the universe? Um, OK. Nothing groundbreaking. Didn't they find something similar in that piece of rock from Mars?

djones520
03-06-2011, 11:38 PM
So there is bacteria in the universe? Um, OK. Nothing groundbreaking. Didn't they find something similar in that piece of rock from Mars?

Finding bacteria on a meteor that crashed here millions of years ago, after travelling through space for millions of years, that "life" could be as old as when there was nothing but bacteria on this planet.

NJCardFan
03-07-2011, 12:13 AM
Finding bacteria on a meteor that crashed here millions of years ago, after travelling through space for millions of years, that "life" could be as old as when there was nothing but bacteria on this planet.

Well, wake me when the Vulcan's land after Cochran's first warp flight.

The Night Owl
03-07-2011, 09:05 AM

Finding evidence of bacteria not from Earth would mean that the universe is almost certainly teaming with life, perhaps even intelligent life. Such a discovery would be the most important discovery in the history of humanity.

Rockntractor
03-08-2011, 01:25 AM
This was probably from the crapper on Arroyo_Doble's space ship.

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/Marvin-the-Martian-Telescope-Salt-Pepper-Shakers_6220-m.jpg