PDA

View Full Version : Sailor says Navy punishing him for sleepover with male sailor

megimoo
03-06-2011, 12:26 AM
A sailor is accusing the Navy of baselessly trying to discharge him for "unprofessional conduct" in an effort to get around the recent "don't ask, don't tell" repeal, after being found asleep in the same bed with another male sailor....Jones, who claims nothing sexual happened, said they were both clothed, him in pajama pants and a white t-shirt and McGee in boxers, and that two were not under the covers together. Jones was lying above the covers while McGee lay below. .

Navy Petty Officer Stephen Jones, a student at the Naval Nuclear Power Training Command in Charleston, South Carolina, told CNN that on the night of February 5, a male sailor stopped by to watch the CW TV show "Vampire Diaries."....."He has come over to watch shows in the past," Jones said....The two watched the show on his bed but accidentally fell asleep. Jones says his roommate walked in around midnight.

"My roommate walked in and it woke me up," Jones said. He then woke up his friend, Navy Petty Officer Bryan McGee, who according to Jones, immediately left the room....But the Navy is proceeding with discharging Jones, charging him with "willful failure to exhibit professional conduct," Jones' lawyer, Greg Myers said.

"It is a violation of the Command Instruction for sailors to act unprofessionally in the barracks. It is considered unprofessional conduct to share the same bed in Navy barracks," said Thomas Dougan, a spokesman for the Naval Nuclear Power Training Command.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/03/05/sailor.sleepover/index.html?npt=NP1

djones520
03-06-2011, 12:30 AM
It is a violation of the Command Instruction for sailors to act unprofessionally in the barracks.

Err... have they ever been to a Navy dorm?

There is something a bit odd about this. Given they were in a school environment, the rooms were probably pretty spartan, meaning there wasn't much room for them to be anywhere else but the bed. *shrugs* I wonder if this guy had a history of getting in trouble in the past. The story doesn't mention that.

I guess people will start using the Dayroom more often now.

PoliCon
03-06-2011, 12:31 AM

There is something a bit odd about this.

why? what do you know?

megimoo
03-06-2011, 12:34 AM

There is something a bit odd about this.What's odd ?Is this behavior allowed in the Air Force ?

djones520
03-06-2011, 12:37 AM
why? what do you know?

Well when I was in Techshool, There was two desks, a refrigerator, two night stands, and two beds. That was all the furniture available to my roomate and I. If anyone came by the room, the only place to sit was the bed.

All the fact definitely aren't there with this story, so I'm not gonna say that this is a witch hunt, or justified. Just that it sounds a bit odd.

djones520
03-06-2011, 12:40 AM
What's odd ?Is this behavior allowed in the Air Force ?

Friends hanging out, and passing out in their friends room. Yeah, I've seen it happen on a regular basis.

These guys are Petty Officers, so I doubt they are living in quarters as restricted as what I experienced in Techschool, but it's possible they had "lock down" times, things like that. Specific rules stating you were to sleep in your own room, etc. It seems like a pretty small infraction to go for a discharge though. The Navy obviously saw some worth in this guy if they were sending him to a school for further training.

Novaheart
03-06-2011, 12:52 AM
Navy Petty Officer Stephen Jones, a student at the Naval Nuclear Power Training Command in Charleston, South Carolina, told CNN that on the night of February 5, a male sailor stopped by to watch the CW TV show "Vampire Diaries."....."He has come over to watch shows in the past," Jones said....The two watched the show on his bed but accidentally fell asleep. Jones says his roommate walked in around midnight.

I think this is why.

Novaheart
03-06-2011, 12:53 AM
Friends hanging out, and passing out in their friends room. Yeah, I've seen it happen on a regular basis. .

Yeah, but these guys were watching Vampire Diaries.

djones520
03-06-2011, 12:58 AM
Yeah, but these guys were watching Vampire Diaries.

Well... they are in the Navy.

megimoo
03-06-2011, 01:05 AM
Friends hanging out, and passing out in their friends room. Yeah, I've seen it happen on a regular basis.

These guys are Petty Officers, so I doubt they are living in quarters as restricted as what I experienced in Techschool, but it's possible they had "lock down" times, things like that. Specific rules stating you were to sleep in your own room, etc. It seems like a pretty small infraction to go for a discharge though. The Navy obviously saw some worth in this guy if they were sending him to a school for further training.
I tend to agree with you but everyone on a sub goes to sub school boot camp for at least a year.The crew is cross trained to know every station on the boat in case of an emergency .

They were keeping an eye on this guy.This critter was a nuke so he was due to be billeted on either on a La Class '688' fast attack, a 'bomber' or a carrier .Bunking on an fast attack is cramped ' ,ass to belly button ,so they take a good look at these guys when they go to school .There's something about gays and Nuclear security that the Navy is very careful about !

megimoo
03-06-2011, 01:07 AM
Well... they are in the Navy.What do you mean by that fly_boy ?

djones520
03-06-2011, 01:08 AM
I tend to agree with you but everyone on a sub goes to sub school boot camp for at least a year.The crew is cross trained to know every station on the boat in case of an emergency .

They were keeping an eye on this guy.This critter was a nuke so he was due to be billeted on either on a La Class '688' fast attack, a 'bomber' or a carrier .Bunking on an fast attack is cramped ' ,ass to belly button ,so they take a good look at these guys when they go to school .There's something about gays and Nuclear security that the Navy is very careful about !

Except the Navy has been very adamant about saying this has nothing to do with his sexual orientation.

As you stated, crew quarters on a sub are extremely tight. I'd say they should be looking closer at the guy who was weirded out by seeing two men in such close proximity.

What do you mean by that fly_boy ?

As an ET1 friend of mine is fond of saying. "You can't out gay a Sailor." ;)

PoliCon
03-06-2011, 01:10 AM
http://www.travel-golf.org/images/navy_gay_recruiting_advertizment.jpg

djones520
03-06-2011, 01:13 AM
Thats the spirit! :D

megimoo
03-06-2011, 01:13 AM
http://www.travel-golf.org/images/navy_gay_recruiting_advertizment.jpgYour class reunion picture ?

PoliCon
03-06-2011, 01:14 AM
Thats the spirit! :D

http://www.charmaineyoest.com/uploads/recruiting_poster_navy_caveman_yoest.jpg

djones520
03-06-2011, 01:17 AM
From an Airman to a Sailor Megi.

http://www.jokedujour.com/police/gay-navy.jpg

PoliCon
03-06-2011, 01:24 AM
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll213/miken1991/join_the_navy_gay.jpg

megimoo
03-06-2011, 01:28 AM
Except the Navy has been very adamant about saying this has nothing to do with his sexual orientation.

As you stated, crew quarters on a sub are extremely tight. I'd say they should be looking closer at the guy who was weirded out by seeing two men in such close proximity.

As an ET1 friend of mine is fond of saying. "You can't out gay a Sailor." ;)
The sense of propriety is all important when men live in such close proximity to each other.One guy on top of the cover and the other one in his skivvies under the covers.That looks like the sort of familiarity to be avoided.

There's all kinds of rivalry between different branches .The Navy And Marines are always 'at' it but one thing they both agree on is the Junior Bird_men are the biggest pussies.And again the Air Force motto. "Woman Are all right but there's nothing like the real thing !"

djones520
03-06-2011, 01:30 AM
The sense of propriety is all important when men live in such close proximity to each other.One guy on top of the cover and the other one in his skivvies under the covers.That looks like the sort of familiarity to be avoided.

There's all kinds of rivalry between different branches .The Navy And Marines are always 'at' it but one thing they both agree on is the Junior Bird_men are the biggest pussies.And again the Air Force motto. "Woman Are all right but there's nothing like the real thing !"

Oh Megi, it's ok. Why don't you regale us with some tales of your years of hot bunking.

megimoo
03-06-2011, 01:33 AM
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll213/miken1991/join_the_navy_gay.jpgWere you in the service Polli ?Have you ever served your country in time of war ?Were you ever in harms way while on duty ?

PoliCon
03-06-2011, 01:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InBXu-iY7cw

The only branch flamboyant enough to get their own Village People song!

PoliCon
03-06-2011, 01:40 AM
Were you in the service Polli ?Have you ever served your country in time of war ?Were you ever in harms way while on duty ?

poor moo. :(

So completely unable to deal that you have to try and turn things back on me and make claim that I can't post pics about how ghey the navy is if I've never served in the military? Seriously? Is that all you got? :rolleyes:

djones520
03-06-2011, 01:43 AM
poor moo. :(

So completely unable to deal that you have to try and turn things back on me and make claim that I can't post pics about how ghey the navy is if I've never served in the military? Seriously? Is that all you got? :rolleyes:

In all fairness Poli, it is usually ok for Service Members to make jokes about this stuff with our SISTER ;)services, but we do tend to frown on it when Civi's jump in.

I do apologize for kinda giving you the green light on it earlier.

megimoo
03-06-2011, 01:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InBXu-iY7cwYou didn't answer my question .I suspect you didn't serve in the military so you revert to childish postings demeaning others who did give up part of their life to return something to their country .

PoliCon
03-06-2011, 01:44 AM
In all fairness Poli, it is usually ok for Service Members to make jokes about this stuff with our SISTER ;)services, but we do tend to frown on it when Civi's jump in.

I do apologize for kinda giving you the green light on it earlier.

Normally I don't jump in on such things - but when it comes to moo . . . I make excepts :D

ETA:

This one is my favorite military themed demotivational ever - :D

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0905/us-air-force-demotivational-poster-1243536624.jpg

megimoo
03-06-2011, 02:07 AM
Normally I don't jump in on such things - but when it comes to moo . . . I make excepts :D

ETA:

This one is my favorite military themed demotivational ever - :D

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0905/us-air-force-demotivational-poster-1243536624.jpgYou have a track records for this sort of thing polli and I believe that you have been warned in the past !i.

megimoo
03-06-2011, 03:03 AM
Oh Megi, it's ok. Why don't you regale us with some tales of your years of hot bunking.
Nuclear attack subs have limited rack space so they split duty sections and always have one crew on watch while the other sleeps.It's tight living but after a while it becomes second nature .
The racks aren't actually hot and each crew member has his own rack cover and blanket .The crews racks have canvas curtains that afford some privacy and the racks are comfortable .

CueSi
03-06-2011, 05:10 AM
Nuclear attack subs have limited rack space so they split duty sections and always have one crew on watch while the other sleeps.It's tight living but after a while it becomes second nature .
The racks aren't actually hot and each crew member has his own rack cover and blanket .The crews racks have canvas curtains that afford some privacy and the racks are comfortable .

I think he wanted a personal story and not a definition of the term. ;)

~QC

PoliCon
03-06-2011, 11:29 AM
You have a track records for this sort of thing polli and I believe that you have been warned in the past !i.

Moo - you're best off not commenting on things you clearly know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about. :rolleyes:

PoliCon
03-06-2011, 11:30 AM
You didn't answer my question .I suspect you didn't serve in the military so you revert to childish postings demeaning others who did give up part of their life to return something to their country .

I'm not demeaning others - just YOU.

PoliCon
03-06-2011, 11:31 AM
I think he wanted a personal story and not a definition of the term. ;)

~QC

Moo's a bit thick lately. I know surprising right? :rolleyes:

BadCat
03-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Moo's a bit thick lately. I know surprising right? :rolleyes:

What branch of the service did YOU serve in?

You better have a good answer, because I don't mind the little intra-service rivalries, but I mind the fuck out of some asswipe who has never served a second, making fun of ANY of the service branches.

Novaheart
03-06-2011, 12:56 PM
http://images1.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/3519578/Aww-geez-Not-this-shit-again.jpg?imageSize=Large&generatorName=Facepalm-Papa

Novaheart
03-06-2011, 01:01 PM
What's odd ?Is this behavior allowed in the Air Force ?

I spent the night in an army residence hall on base, and amazingly everyone managed to mind his own business. Given that the hallway smelled like marijuana and WHUR could be heard, I'm guessing we weren't the only ones breaking the rules in 1978.

CueSi
03-06-2011, 02:07 PM
That warning goes for Moo as well, correct? ---------------------> Just a question. (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/showpost.php?p=383121&postcount=11)

~QC

Rockntractor
03-06-2011, 02:13 PM
That warning goes for Moo as well, correct? ---------------------> Just a question. (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/showpost.php?p=383121&postcount=11)

~QC

You might be smart to stay out of this, if you will note both Jones and Badcat remarked that friendly rivalry between service members is normally fine but those of us that haven't served mocking them isn't taken well.

CueSi
03-06-2011, 02:21 PM
You might be smart to stay out of this, if you will note both Jones and Badcat remarked that friendly rivalry between service members is normally fine but those of us that haven't served mocking them isn't taken well.

I'm asking about moo. I noticed Cat jumped right on Poli, but walked past Moo's post to do it. I'm not taking part in the rivalry, I am merely asking a question about the universality of that warning.

~QC

Rockntractor
03-06-2011, 02:25 PM
I'm asking about moo. I noticed Cat jumped right on Poli, but walked past Moo's post to do it. I'm not taking part in the rivalry, I am merely asking a question about the universality of that warning.

~QC

One more time, stay out of it!

djones520
03-06-2011, 04:57 PM
I've reopened this discussion, since I'm responsible for it going off track. I hope that there is more to contribute to the original portion of this thread.

As has been stated several times already, leave the interservice rivalries to those who have earned the right to it.

PoliCon
03-06-2011, 04:59 PM
I've reopened this discussion, since I'm responsible for it going off track. I hope that there is more to contribute to the original portion of this thread.

As has been stated several times already, leave the interservice rivalries to those who have earned the right to it.

Is it safe to say that other professions will be given similar protected status? I mean we have people all the time and with all seriousness bitching about teachers and how many of them have served in a classroom?

JB
03-06-2011, 05:21 PM
Is it safe to say that other professions will be given similar protected status?No, they won't. But it doesn't mean you can't be critical of the Navy, etc. in general. Just don't post gay posters about it.
I mean we have people all the time and with all seriousness bitching about teachers and how many of them have served in a classroom?It's generally accepted on CU that intra-service rivalry is a perk accepted amongst those that have served.

It's the way it is. Otherwise, if you've never been elected to public office stop bitching about politicians.

JB
03-06-2011, 05:28 PM

~QCNo because megimoo served.

CueSi
03-06-2011, 05:31 PM
No because megimoo served.

All I wanted to know, since that information wasn't clear.

~QC

JB
03-06-2011, 05:33 PM
All I wanted to know, since that information wasn't clear.

~QCTo be honest, I edited my post. It originally said "at least I think he served".

When I went back through the thread it looks like he is Navy. He better be or he deserves the same shit Poli is getting.

djones520
03-06-2011, 05:36 PM
Megi has served in the Navy.

asdf2231
03-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Just for you DJ. My Dad had this on a plaque.

"The Navy carrys the Marines to the battle. The Marines invade and form a beachhead. The Army expands the beachhead and pushes inland. Then the Zoomies land and build the O-Club" :D

megimoo
03-07-2011, 08:11 PM
Just for you DJ. My Dad had this on a plaque.

"The Navy carries the Marines to the battle. The Marines invade and form a beachhead. The Army expands the beachhead and pushes inland. Then the Zoomies land and build the O-Club" :D

To clarify that a bit "The Navy carries the Marines to the battle,The Marines invade and form a beachhead .
The Sea_Bees go in with the second wave of Jar_heads and their heavy equipment follows .The Marines protect the Sea_Bees while they quickly build the short runways for the Marine Fighter Planes.

Once the Jar_heads control the air overhead The Sea_Bees start on the long runways , blasting the coral,grading the banks and laying down and welding the long steel runway beds .

They protect the Sea_Bees from the enemy fighters as they enlarge/lengthen the runways for the Big Air Force B 29 Bombers so they can bomb Japan ...The Navy Sea_Bees Builds The 'O' clubs,Runways and everything else . No Army, only Jar_heads and Navy !

The Air Force Bomber Crews crews lived on the flight lines in Sea_Bee Build Quonset huts.General Lemay's Big B 29 Bombers would fly 24/7 and stagger back,all shot up with barely enough fuel to land .The kids flying these things were barely old enough to grow a beard most of them just nineteen or twenty .The Sea_Bees were older,experienced men from the building trades and heavy construction .They built the whole thing from fuel storage tank farms to underground Bomb Storage Bunkers and the Marines provided the security !

When the B 29's returned they would avoid crashing on the runways and ditch off the beach.The Navy had rescue boats just off shore to pull the flight crews to safety so they could fly again. We had plenty of Bombers but needed every Air Force flight crew we had.We drove the Japanese from one half of the island when we landed . While the Japanese held the Northern half we built runways and expanded the Southern half and the Marines eventually moped up the Northern,Japanese held half .

They would fly in at night on suicide raids and land on the far end of the runways .They would pour from the aircraft all drugged up with satchel charges on their backs and chests and jump on the nearest aircraft and blow them to hell.

The alarm sirens would go off and the Sea_Bees would jump into their underground bunkers while the Marines fired at anything that moved and blew thew raiders to hell.....Next morning it was much the same,haul the destroyed aircraft from the runways and dump them into an offline pile and rebuild the runways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgF7hx5TBDs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32TkR3m-Aog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcIAgtmrDyk&playnext=1&list=PLF1C43766F9F35468

Adam Wood
03-07-2011, 08:25 PM

As has been stated several times already, leave the interservice rivalries to those who have earned the right to it.As you wish.

So, a squid, a grunt, a jarhead, and a zoomie walk into a bar. All four say "OWWWWW!!"

:p

::runs like hell::

Bubba Dawg
03-07-2011, 09:26 PM
When I first arrived i ran afoul of this rule accidentally. I learned from the mistake. I understand that insults among intra-service rivals is based on shared experience and shared risk and that there is a bond that those outside that fraternity should steer clear of.

From my experience the enforcement of the rule seems reasonably consistent over time.

I was embarrassed by my own Newbie mistake but eventually I came to see that a rule like this is a part of why I respect and appreciate this board.

So come on Poli, let's get back to fighting about other things. :p

Novaheart
04-14-2011, 01:41 PM
[B][SIZE="4"]A sailor is accusing the Navy of baselessly trying to discharge him for "unprofessional conduct" in an effort to get around the recent "don't ask, don't tell" repeal, after being found asleep in the same bed with another male sailor....

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/navy-drops-discharge-sailor-found-asleep-man/story?id=13373270

The Navy has dropped discharge proceedings against a young petty officer accused of "unprofessional conduct" after he was found asleep in bed with another male sailor earlier this year.

No mention of what will happen to the the tattletale Tyler Berube who started all of this.

lacarnut
04-14-2011, 01:48 PM
[url]No mention of what will happen to the the tattletale Tyler Berube who started all of this.

He deserves a promotion.

Novaheart
04-14-2011, 01:54 PM
He deserves a promotion.

So do you. In your next life you can be a rodent.

Bailey
04-14-2011, 02:01 PM

Don't get madbro your disgusting kind will now be allowed to serve openly. :rolleyes:

AmPat
04-14-2011, 05:34 PM
Is it safe to say that other professions will be given similar protected status? I mean we have people all the time and with all seriousness bitching about teachers and how many of them have served in a classroom?

I qualify.:cool:

lacarnut
04-14-2011, 05:57 PM

In your next life, you will not be a perverted freak.

Zathras
04-14-2011, 07:45 PM

Which would make lacarnut 100 times higher in the evolutionary chain than the genetic dead end that you are.