PDA

View Full Version : Road trip to the end of the world

PoliCon
03-06-2011, 04:36 PM
By Jessica Ravitz, CNN
March 6, 2011 10:42 a.m. EST

From Jacksonville to Tampa, Florida (CNN) -- If you thought you had less than three perfectly healthy months to live, what would you do? Would you travel? Spend time with loved ones? Appreciate the joy life has given you?

Or would you ditch your kids and grandkids, join strangers in a caravan of RVs and travel the country warning people about the end of the world?

If you're Sheila Jonas, that's exactly what you'd do.

"This is so serious, I can't believe I'm here," says Jonas, who's been on the road since fall. Like her cohorts, she's "in it 'til the end," which she believes is coming in May.

She won't talk about her past because, "There is no other story. ... We are to warn the people. Nothing else matters."

Such faith and concern drove her and nine others, all loyal listeners of the Christian broadcasting ministry Family Radio, to join the radio station's first "Project Caravan" team.

Learn about other doomsdays that have come and gone

They walked away from work, families and communities in places as far-flung as California, Kansas, Utah and New Jersey. Among them are an electrician, a TV satellite dish installer, a former chef, an international IT consultant and a man who had worked with the developmentally disabled.
Gallery: Doomsdays throughout time

They gave away cars, pets, music collections and more to relatives, friends and neighbors. Some items they kicked to the curb. In homes that weren't emptied, clothes are still hanging in closets, and dishes, books and furniture -- including one man's antique collection -- are gathering dust. Unless, of course, they've been claimed by others. If you believe it's all going to be over soon, why would it matter if you close the front door, much less lock it, when you walk away?

It's a mid-winter morning in Jacksonville, Florida, when CNN joins this faithful caravan. The "ambassadors," as they call themselves, are easy to spot. They are the 10 people milling about in an RV park drawing stares, eye rolls, under-the-breath mutters and, at times, words of support.

They're wearing sweatshirts and other clothing announcing the "Awesome News," that Judgment Day is coming on May 21. On that day, people who will be saved will be raptured up to heaven. The rest will endure exactly 153 days of death and horror before the world ends on October 21. That message is splashed across their five sleek, vinyl-wrapped RVs, bearing this promise: "The Bible guarantees it!"

Maneuvering onto the road with such a serious statement takes time and patience.

CONTINUED WITH VIDEO GOODNESS! (http://www.cnn.com/2011/LIVING/03/06/judgment.day.caravan/index.html?hpt=C1)

Gingersnap
03-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Very cool!

noonwitch
03-07-2011, 01:25 PM
They really seem like nice people, who really want to reach as many people as they can. I hope they all have somewhere to go if Judgement Day doesn't come in May-hopefully, churches will help them out with the disappointment, not to mention the impending poverty, after giving away all their money and belongings.

I have to wonder who came up with the May date, though. My interpretation of prophetic biblical passages is that there are signs and wonders, but no one can know for sure when the second coming will occur. Every group in history so far that has tried to pin down a date was proven wrong in time.

fettpett
03-07-2011, 03:56 PM
sooooo.....they think the World is going to end in May....and they gave all their stuff away and joined a cult....um.....

Articulate_Ape
03-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Boy oh boy, those are some people that are going to be really, really surprised on May 21st and filled with deep regret on May 22nd. Do you have any idea how many times in human history this same tragedy has played out? Hint: A lot. :rolleyes:

Rockntractor
03-07-2011, 06:27 PM
sooooo.....they think the World is going to end in May....and they gave all their stuff away and joined a cult....um.....

Nuff said

Calypso Jones
03-07-2011, 08:10 PM
not Jehovah's Witnesses AGAIN!!

oh. no. Not JW's. But he would be considered a cult. I think it's wonderful when Christians get enthusiastic about the Awesome news of the Second Coming of the Lord Jesus. But I have my worries when i get such a nice long article with compliments out of CNN. Doesn't that bother YOU just a bit?? does me.

First i looked up FamilyRadio in wiki. Looooks goooood but then i see some little things that dont quite hold to the tenets of Christianity..so now i'm really suspiciouys. Then i went to my own little handy dandy cult finder.

http://www.gotquestions.org/Harold-Camping-family-radio.html

CNN's role. ASsisting satan. They'd have saved more souls and their own by leaving this story alone. By treating it the way they did, they showed exactly where they stand. and it's coming to that.

PoliCon
03-07-2011, 08:21 PM
I never get how people buy into this date setting stuff. :rolleyes:

Madisonian
03-07-2011, 10:23 PM
I never get how people buy into this date setting stuff. :rolleyes:

Same way some people buy into parting the Red Sea and Noah and the Ark type stuff, I guess.

Calypso Jones
03-07-2011, 10:28 PM
Same way some people buy into parting the Red Sea and Noah and the Ark type stuff, I guess.

:Dtotally different and you know it. And if you don't, that's too bad.

I guess i shoulda been nicer. Even if you don't believe that the Parting of the REd Sea and the Great Flood were acts of God if you're an atheist, wouldn't you have to believe the religion of science and the proof it offers that the parting happened and scientists showed how it could happen and that there is scientific evidence all over the world of a huge devastating flood recorded in many cultures. wouldn't you?

Actually, i find the probability that these things were God induced easier to accept than have to swallow what passes for science these days.

Calypso Jones
03-07-2011, 11:09 PM
A test of a true prophet is the number of times that his prophecies have been fulfilled. None for Mr. Camping, none for Joseph Smith, None for Mohammad and none for Pat Robertson. :p

Articulate_Ape
03-08-2011, 12:43 AM
A test of a true prophet is the number of times that his prophecies have been fulfilled. None for Mr. Camping, none for Joseph Smith, None for Mohammad and none for Pat Robertson. :p

To date, no "prophet" has predicted ANY future event. Ever. All assumptions are based on retroactive writings and/or matching of historical occurrences. No one even knows with certainty whether it will rain tomorrow.

PoliCon
03-08-2011, 07:35 AM
To date, no "prophet" has predicted ANY future event. Ever. All assumptions are based on retroactive writings and/or matching of historical occurrences. No one even knows with certainty whether it will rain tomorrow.

:rolleyes:

fettpett
03-08-2011, 08:27 AM

your own personal opinion, but they are recorded events in the Bible. The exact DATE of Christ's second coming is completely different as Christ specifically stated to be wary of anyone that claims exactly when he'll be coming again.

fettpett
03-08-2011, 08:28 AM

:) :rolleyes:

Calypso Jones
03-08-2011, 08:56 AM

retroactive writings? explain that.

fettpett
03-08-2011, 09:21 AM
He's probably referencing some so called scholars that claim the majority of the old Testement was written well after events in them, particularly Daniel, Issiah, Ezekiel, which all have Prophecies in them, including many that Prophecy Christs First Advent and the rise of the World Powers. (though how one claims that the prediction of the fall and breaking of the Roman Empire by the Germanic tribes and the Rise of the Catholic Church before there was an established Church is beyond me)

Gingersnap
03-08-2011, 12:06 PM
He's probably referencing some so called scholars that claim the majority of the old Testement was written well after events in them, particularly Daniel, Issiah, Ezekiel, which all have Prophecies in them, including many that Prophecy Christs First Advent and the rise of the World Powers. (though how one claims that the prediction of the fall and breaking of the Roman Empire by the Germanic tribes and the Rise of the Catholic Church before there was an established Church is beyond me)

Well, that's the entire point of OT prophecy - it foreshadows later events.

This May date is heating up, though. There's been chatter about it for a few years now. I hope I can replace my front fence before The End. I was shooting for a mid-May installation. I may need to bump that up. :p

fettpett
03-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Well, that's the entire point of OT prophecy - it foreshadows later events.

This May date is heating up, though. There's been chatter about it for a few years now. I hope I can replace my front fence before The End. I was shooting for a mid-May installation. I may need to bump that up. :p

First I've heard of it, and I follow this stuff semi-regularly

fettpett
03-08-2011, 12:56 PM
ok, found this dudes reasoning for May 21, 2011

The number 5, Camping concluded, equals "atonement." Ten is "completeness." Seventeen means "heaven." Camping patiently explained how he reached his conclusion for May 21, 2011.

"Christ hung on the cross April 1, 33 A.D.," he began. "Now go to April 1 of 2011 A.D., and that's 1,978 years."

Camping then multiplied 1,978 by 365.2422 days - the number of days in each solar year, not to be confused with a calendar year.

Next, Camping noted that April 1 to May 21 encompasses 51 days. Add 51 to the sum of previous multiplication total, and it equals 722,500.

Camping realized that (5 x 10 x 17) x (5 x 10 x 17) = 722,500.

Or put into words: (Atonement x Completeness x Heaven), squared.

"Five times 10 times 17 is telling you a story," Camping said. "It's the story from the time Christ made payment for your sins until you're completely saved.
http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-01-01/bay-area/17466332_1_east-bay-bay-area-first-time-camping/2

I don't buy it, it sounds too much like the Bible Code stuff.

Madisonian
03-08-2011, 01:15 PM
:Dtotally different and you know it. And if you don't, that's too bad.

Not really totally different, because it is still based on faith, as are all religious beliefs. While the 2 I mentioned may not have been the best examples, they were just the first ones that popped into my mind.
Personally, I don't care what a person's beliefs are or are not, as long as those beliefs are not imposed on me or used as a basis to denigrate, alter or punish my beliefs.

your own personal opinion, but they are recorded events in the Bible.

Again, all religion is is one's own personal opinion and interpretation. Westboro Baptist uses the same Bible that other religions, denominations or religious subdivisions use, but that does not make that particular group Christian or even religious based on my interpretations of the same words.

Even going as far as saying that certain events are recorded in the Bible, it could be argued as a chicken or the egg arguement. Did God cause a Great Flood, or was God used as an explanation for an unusual weather event?

Is the Bible the word of God or an attribution of events to a deity because they could not otherwise be rationally explained at the time?

I am not advancing one theory over the other, as it all comes down to one's faith and belief.

fettpett
03-08-2011, 01:40 PM
Not really totally different, because it is still based on faith, as are all religious beliefs. While the 2 I mentioned may not have been the best examples, they were just the first ones that popped into my mind.
Personally, I don't care what a person's beliefs are or are not, as long as those beliefs are not imposed on me or used as a basis to denigrate, alter or punish my beliefs.

Again, all religion is is one's own personal opinion and interpretation. Westboro Baptist uses the same Bible that other religions, denominations or religious subdivisions use, but that does not make that particular group Christian or even religious based on my interpretations of the same words.

Even going as far as saying that certain events are recorded in the Bible, it could be argued as a chicken or the egg arguement. Did God cause a Great Flood, or was God used as an explanation for an unusual weather event?

Is the Bible the word of God or an attribution of events to a deity because they could not otherwise be rationally explained at the time?

I am not advancing one theory over the other, as it all comes down to one's faith and belief.

I'll agree with you on the faith aspect. However thats not how you were making your argument. You said NO prophecy has EVER come true, however that is false, even if you take the Bible out of the equation there are any number of extra-biblical prophecy's that are non-Christian that have come true, and Christian prophets that have been right.

What the Bible specifics is that for a person to be a TRUE prophet all of their predictions will come true as long as those being told follow God guidelines.

Gingersnap
03-08-2011, 01:59 PM
And back to this May End Of It All date.

I first started hearing about this maybe 3 years ago. I might have run across it on Godlike Productions or Fortean Times. I just checked and I'm seeing references from 2006 so it's been around a while.

Calypso Jones
03-08-2011, 02:15 PM
well. at some point in the future if he keeps it up, he'll be able to say he was right.

Calypso Jones
03-08-2011, 02:43 PM

I think that is an EXCELLENT concept to live by.....but of course you mean that it applies to Christians saying anything that denigrates YOUR opinions. right. NOT that you should have to refrain from displaying hypocritical tendencies by doing EXACTLY that yourself, heh?

Do i need to continue and explain that it was YOU that fired the first statement to denigrate Christian beliefs. Do I? You DO see that, don't you? Of course we all know that it is only Christians that are the intolerant, crude and rude ones, correct? So that means, since you as a....whatever....anything but Christian, and in the minority, then you are incapable of denigrating others' beliefs? hmmmm?

Madisonian
03-08-2011, 02:48 PM
I'll agree with you on the faith aspect. However thats not how you were making your argument.You said NO prophecy has EVER come true, however that is false, even if you take the Bible out of the equation there are any number of extra-biblical prophecy's that are non-Christian that have come true, and Christian prophets that have been right.

What the Bible specifics is that for a person to be a TRUE prophet all of their predictions will come true as long as those being told follow God guidelines.

Quoting you, quoting me...

Umm... not sure what all this is about, but its not about anything I posted.
I said nothing about prophets or prophecies, true or ortherwise.

I made a first comment about people "buying into" something as in some people buy into Moses parting the Red Sea or Noah and the Ark or the world will end on a specific day. Some people don't.

I don't mind a disagreement of what I did say, but I don't like being preached to about things I clearly did not say nor even made a reference towards.

Madisonian
03-08-2011, 03:08 PM
I think that is an EXCELLENT concept to live by.....but of course you mean that it applies to Christians saying anything that denigrates YOUR opinions. right. NOT that you should have to refrain from displaying hypocritical tendencies by doing EXACTLY that yourself, heh?

Do i need to continue and explain that it was YOU that fired the first statement to denigrate Christian beliefs. Do I? You DO see that, don't you? Of course we all know that it is only Christians that are the intolerant, crude and rude ones, correct? So that means, since you as a....whatever....anything but Christian, and in the minority, then you are incapable of denigrating others' beliefs? hmmmm?

I, and obviously you, have no clue what you are talking about.
I did not say anything to denigrate Christians or anyone else, unless you are a member of Westboro Baptist and believe in Fred Phelps interpretation of the Bible and that soldiers deserve to die and the other claptrap they expouse. If that is the case, then you have no basis to question anyone about Christianity.

You have no idea what my beliefs are or whether I believe that Moses parted the Red Sea, that the Great Flood happened, the age of the Earth based on Biblical projections or anything else related to religion.

I buy into (or have faith, the terms are interchangeable as I used them) in a great number of things that you may or may not agree with. While I don't always submit it for a peer review to avoid offending or ruffling the feathers of other posters, I certainly don't see where my first post, a response to Poli, was a denigration of Christian beliefs unless you consider it that since I equated "prophecies" made by a still living person that may or may not come true with events recorded in the Bible which may or may not have happened as written.

And I would never say that it is only Christians that are rude, crude and intolerant. Every religion has enough members with those qualifications.

fettpett
03-08-2011, 03:10 PM
Quoting you, quoting me...

Umm... not sure what all this is about, but its not about anything I posted.
I said nothing about prophets or prophecies, true or ortherwise.

I made a first comment about people "buying into" something as in some people buy into Moses parting the Red Sea or Noah and the Ark or the world will end on a specific day. Some people don't.

I don't mind a disagreement of what I did say, but I don't like being preached to about things I clearly did not say nor even made a reference towards.

I'm sorry, I got you and Ape confused. my apologizes good sir :D

Madisonian
03-08-2011, 03:11 PM
I am the one with less body hair.:D

ETA: I also photograph (and look) better as any comparison of our avatars can tell.:p

Calypso Jones
03-08-2011, 03:37 PM
I, and obviously you, have no clue what you are talking about.
I did not say anything to denigrate Christians or anyone else, unless you are a member of Westboro Baptist and believe in Fred Phelps interpretation of the Bible and that soldiers deserve to die and the other claptrap they expouse. If that is the case, then you have no basis to question anyone about Christianity.

You have no idea what my beliefs are or whether I believe that Moses parted the Red Sea, that the Great Flood happened, the age of the Earth based on Biblical projections or anything else related to religion.

I buy into (or have faith, the terms are interchangeable as I used them) in a great number of things that you may or may not agree with. While I don't always submit it for a peer review to avoid offending or ruffling the feathers of other posters, I certainly don't see where my first post, a response to Poli, was a denigration of Christian beliefs unless you consider it that since I equated "prophecies" made by a still living person that may or may not come true with events recorded in the Bible which may or may not have happened as written.

And I would never say that it is only Christians that are rude, crude and intolerant. Every religion has enough members with those qualifications.

yes. I think i do know what your beliefs are about the Red Sea and the Great Flood. And the fact that you mentioned earth age just cemented it. Come on. buck up.

fettpett
03-08-2011, 03:48 PM
I am the one with less body hair.:D

ETA: I also photograph (and look) better as any comparison of our avatars can tell.:p

well anyone can look better than a damn dirty ape ;):D

Madisonian
03-08-2011, 06:06 PM
yes. I think i do know what your beliefs are about the Red Sea and the Great Flood. And the fact that you mentioned earth age just cemented it. Come on. buck up.

I was baptized Lutheran, raised Episcopalian, studied the Torah when I dated a Jewish girl in college and married a Catholic.

Test your clairvoyance and you tell me what I believe seeing as you think you know on the basis of what, 3 posts?

Gingersnap
03-08-2011, 07:49 PM
Couldn't we get back to the world ending this May? It's kind of important......

Rockntractor
03-08-2011, 07:57 PM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/apocalypse_clown_is_down_by_Royalcoester.jpg

fettpett
03-08-2011, 08:17 PM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/apocalypse_clown_is_down_by_Royalcoester.jpg

Ginger must have found a clown in her back yard

Gingersnap
03-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Ginger must have found a clown in her back yard

If I'd found a clown in my backyard, that pic would involve fire.

Calypso Jones
03-08-2011, 08:30 PM

that's impossible. It's not mayan. Secondly. if he knows so much about the date then why doesn't he say how...and the end...what exactly does that mean, the. end.

PoliCon
03-08-2011, 08:32 PM

As long as it happens AFTER my birthday . . . ;)

Gingersnap
03-08-2011, 09:01 PM
that's impossible. It's not mayan. Secondly. if he knows so much about the date then why doesn't he say how...and the end...what exactly does that mean, the. end.

See post #20 for the details on the reasoning. Since it's biblically-based, I'm guessing the End is some version of the Second Coming.

Calypso Jones
03-08-2011, 09:04 PM
See post #20 for the details on the reasoning. Since it's biblically-based, I'm guessing the End is some version of the Second Coming.

And as if the end of the world is not bad enough, there is one final bitter pill as we approach the apocalypse.

Apparently no one from Family Radio is sure what to do to guarantee a place in heaven.

God, they say, has already predetermined the roughly two to three percent of those who will be saved come May 21.

Sadly for the rest of us

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1363837/Doomsday-campers-Project-Caravan-say-world-end-May-21.html#ixzz1G41DP47M

somebody shoulda told Harold about the second coming and tribulation. Seems he's leaving a bit out.

Rockntractor
03-08-2011, 09:13 PM
somebody shoulda told Harold about the second coming and tribulation. Seems he's leaving a bit out.
I don't know Cally oops, tell the Christians in the mideast, north Africa and China that they haven't gone through the tribulation yet.

Gingersnap
03-08-2011, 09:23 PM
And as if the end of the world is not bad enough, there is one final bitter pill as we approach the apocalypse.

Apparently no one from Family Radio is sure what to do to guarantee a place in heaven.

God, they say, has already predetermined the roughly two to three percent of those who will be saved come May 21.

Sadly for the rest of us

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1363837/Doomsday-campers-Project-Caravan-say-world-end-May-21.html#ixzz1G41DP47M

How you see it depends on how Reformed you are. From a strict Reformed view, there's nothing you can do to affect your own salvation. Either you have what it takes to accept the offer sincerely or you're destined to burn (or be destroyed). Not that many have what it takes (from that viewpoint).

Madisonian
03-08-2011, 09:28 PM

Sorry about the derail.
So the big question is, should I continue to make the house and car payments?

I would hate to send them all that cash if it turns out that I could have blown it all in the casino.:mad:

Rockntractor
03-08-2011, 09:29 PM
Sorry about the derail.
So the big question is, should I continue to make the house and car payments?

I would hate to send them all that cash if it turns out that I could have blown it all in the casino.:mad:

Where would you spend the money you won at the casino?:confused:

fettpett
03-08-2011, 09:32 PM
How you see it depends on how Reformed you are. From a strict Reformed view, there's nothing you can do to affect your own salvation. Either you have what it takes to accept the offer sincerely or you're destined to burn (or be destroyed). Not that many have what it takes (from that viewpoint).

do you believe in the "once saved always saved" idea?

Also depends on if your a pre- or post-millennial or in between.

Gingersnap
03-08-2011, 09:54 PM
do you believe in the "once saved always saved" idea?

Also depends on if your a pre- or post-millennial or in between.

Sounds like a rip-snorter of a new thread to me. :D

Madisonian
03-08-2011, 09:58 PM
Where would you spend the money you won at the casino?:confused:

Did you not catch the "blown it all" part?:D

Rockntractor
03-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Did you not catch the "blown it all" part?:D

With your luck that would be the time you win!

fettpett
03-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Sounds like a rip-snorter of a new thread to me. :D

haha, just curious :p

Madisonian
03-08-2011, 10:25 PM
With your luck that would be the time you win!

Ten grand on a one time roll of a 12 with a 31 for 1 payback.
Yeah, if I won that one I know the world is coming to an end.
But in that case I'll buy bobbolink a house on 10/20 if the world is ending on 10/21.

If I am going to Hell anyway, might as well make the trip worthwhile.:D

noonwitch
03-09-2011, 09:01 AM

There's one thing I'd have to do, then repent seriously afterward.

PoliCon
03-09-2011, 09:15 AM
There's one thing I'd have to do, then repent seriously afterward.

It's only repentance if you can actually wipe the smile off your face afterwards dear noonwitch. ;) :p