PDA

View Full Version : Obama Brings Back Military Trials at Guantanamo Bay

txradioguy
03-07-2011, 03:38 PM
President Obama announced Monday that military trials will resume for detainees at the Guantanamo Bay prison camp, saying the tribunals are an "important tool in combating international terrorists."

The president, who issued an executive order outlining the changes Monday afternoon, said Defense Secretary Robert Gates will rescind his January 2009 ban against bringing new charges against terror suspects in the military commissions.

Obama said in a statement that the decision was part of a plan to "broaden our ability to bring terrorists to justice."

Obama vowed when he took office to close the detention facility at Guantanamo, but officials have recently acknowledged that closure is not likely because of questions about where terror suspects would be held.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/03/07/obama-resume-military-trials-guantanamo-source-says/

SaintLouieWoman
03-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Triangulate anyone? Here's a little move to the right, maybe. :rolleyes:

Arroyo_Doble
03-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Triangulate anyone? Here's a little move to the right, maybe. :rolleyes:

More like boxed in.

My opinion is that Obama is a classic pragmatist. Usually, that explains his actions to me.

lacarnut
03-07-2011, 04:14 PM
More like boxed in.

My opinion is that Obama is a classic pragmatist. Usually, that explains his actions to me.

A pragmatist like his decision to allow ONE (1) new well to be drilled in the Gulf of Mexico. That is a 180 if I ever saw one.:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

SAMSPADE
03-07-2011, 04:22 PM
More like boxed in.

My opinion is that Obama is a classic pragmatist. Usually, that explains his actions to me.I have to agree, he is boxed in.

lacarnut
03-07-2011, 04:47 PM
he is boxed in.

Yep but his has nothing to do with the Magic Negro being a pragmatist.

malloc
03-07-2011, 05:06 PM
Yep but his has nothing to do with the Magic Negro being a pragmatist.

I'm of the understanding that a pragmatist places the outcome of an idea above it's ideological station when measuring the value of said idea, correct?

I wonder then, how one can justify Obama as a pragmatist in light of his support for cap and trade and obamacare. The outcomes of these ideas are dismal, while the ideological basis is firmly in Obama's ideological comfort zone. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the definition of pragmatist here?

Rockntractor
03-07-2011, 05:13 PM
More like boxed in.

And I thought you were an intelligent liberal like Noonie. Dam:confused:

Arroyo_Doble
03-07-2011, 05:43 PM
And I thought you were an intelligent liberal like Noonie. Dam:confused:

How many times have you been told not to think? This is a prime example of what you get for thinking.

Odysseus
03-07-2011, 06:06 PM
More like boxed in.

A pragmatist wouldn't have gotten into this mess in the first place.

How many times have you been told not to think? This is a prime example of what you get for thinking.

Spoken like a true liberal.

BTW, there shouldn't be any trials for these clowns as long as we are in combat with their buddies. Under the Geneva Conventions, combatants, even terrorists, may be detained for the duration of hostilities. Until al Qaeda formally surrenders (or we do, which, given this administration, may not be that farfetched), we are under no obligation to try them, and, in fact, trials during wartime are problematical because it is easy to claim that they are being done for propaganda purposes, rather than actual war crimes.

Pragmatist my oak leaf... :rolleyes:

Rockntractor
03-07-2011, 06:07 PM

I'm sorry, I won't let it happen again.:(