PDA

View Full Version : "American Muslim Groups Fomenting Hysteria Over Hearings into Islamic Radicalization

megimoo
03-10-2011, 09:41 AM
Muslim American groups, not Rep. Pete King, are the ones fomenting hysteria with hearings on tap

Never in my entire career in Washington have I encountered the hype and scare tactics of those opposing the hearings into Islamic radicalization by Rep. Pete King. A classic example was a headline on MSNBC.com: "Inquiry by congressional committee looks like inquisition to many Muslims."

The line of attack is now familiar: If King (R-L.I.) were truly interested in violent extremism, his hearings would focus on a wide range of groups that wreak havoc on America, including neo-Nazis and others; by focusing solely on Muslim extremism, the argument goes, he is betraying his bias.

This is utterly ridiculous. Our organization, the Investigative Project on Terrorism, recently did an analysis of all terrorism convictions based on statistics released by the Justice Department.

These stats show that more than 80% of all convictions tied to international terrorist groups and homegrown terrorism since 9/11 involve defendants driven by a radical Islamist agenda. ....Though Muslims represent less than 1% of the American population, they constitute defendants in 186 of the 228 cases the Justice Department lists.

The figures confirm that there is a disproportionate problem of Islamic militancy and terrorism among the American Muslim population.

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/2011/03/10/2011-03-10_muslim_american_groups_not_rep_pete_king_are_th e_ones_fomenting_hysteria.html

ABC in Georgia
03-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Megi ...

Am streaming the hearings live on www.foxnews.com

and am getting nothing done around here this morning. :eek:

Is well worth watching or listening to, if you can spare the time.

~ ABC

noonwitch
03-10-2011, 01:15 PM
I have mixed feelings about these hearings. I understand the need for law enforcement to monitor and investigate radical Islamic groups within the US to prevent terrorism, but I can also understand how the average law-abiding american muslim would feel threatened by these hearings.

Apache
03-10-2011, 02:01 PM
I have mixed feelings about these hearings. I understand the need for law enforcement to monitor and investigate radical Islamic groups within the US to prevent terrorism, but I can also understand how the average law-abiding american muslim would feel threatened by these hearings.

Until they crackdown and condemn these acts, they should....;)

Novaheart
03-10-2011, 02:45 PM

I don't expect your average "law abiding American muslim" to don sackcloth and ashes every time a muslim does something terrible or illegal.

I also don't expect CAIR or any of their sympathizers to act like it's unreasonable or irrational for Americans and Western Europeans to see Islamic militancy, invasion, crime, violence, and cultural aggression as Islamic.

noonwitch
03-10-2011, 03:10 PM

Because they are americans who happen to be muslims? Do we expect all american catholics to condemn the IRA every time they commit a terrorist act? Because we can't even expect the guy holding the hearings to condemn them.

megimoo
03-10-2011, 03:45 PM
Megi ...

Am streaming the hearings live on www.foxnews.com

and am getting nothing done around here this morning. :eek:

Is well worth watching or listening to, if you can spare the time.

~ ABCThanks but I'm off to church this forenoon !

Apache
03-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Because they are americans who happen to be muslims? Do we expect all american catholics to condemn the IRA every time they commit a terrorist act? Because we can't even expect the guy holding the hearings to condemn them.

When was the last IRA attack carried out on American soil? Pull your head out of the sand.Isalm is a threat, as long as "moderates" are silent they will continue to damage their own image...

Novaheart
03-10-2011, 03:59 PM

The members of CAIR are not Americans who just happen to be muslims.

Novaheart
03-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Thanks but I'm off to church this forenoon !

In which century?

megimoo
03-10-2011, 04:03 PM
I believe you have it backwards from their point of view. They are Muslims who just happen to be in America who are working night and day to kill Jews and change America into an Islamic Caliphate .
As for the IRA and the Catholics there are as many terrorists on the Protestant side with the paramilitary Ulster Defence Association and the Belfast Shankill Butchers .

Calypso Jones
03-10-2011, 04:06 PM

average law abiding american muslim.....:D oh boy.

noonwitch
03-10-2011, 04:42 PM
I believe you have it backwards from their point of view. They are Muslims who just happen to be in America who are working night and day to kill Jews and change America into an Islamic Caliphate .
As for the IRA and the Catholics there are as many terrorists on the Protestant side with the paramilitary Ulster Defence Association and the Belfast Shankill Butchers .

The vast majority of american muslims have nothing to do with terrorism. Just like the vast majority of citizens in Northern Ireland have nothing to do with terrorism.

The fact that so many americans assume that all muslims are suspect is exactly why the american muslims are afraid of these hearings. They are afraid of backlash against all of them for the acts of a few who hide among them.

ABC in Georgia
03-10-2011, 07:59 PM
The fact that so many americans assume that all muslims are suspect is exactly why the american muslims are afraid of these hearings. They are afraid of backlash against all of them for the acts of a few who hide among them.

I do not quite agree with you Noonwitch. Yes, they are afraid of a *backlash* ... but they are more afraid of speaking out against the radical groups that presume to represent them in this country ... if they do, then they will pay the price, and they know it.

Perhaps what comes out in these hearings will give the rest of the American muslims the courage to speak out as did Mr. Bledsoe, a private citizen, and Mr. Bihi, whose sons were radicalized here in the USA. They were both speaking out in order to save other peoples sons from the same thing.

Not to mention, what consequences they will more than likely have to face for doing so from their own people. I applaud them for their their *cohones* as my Cuban friend from Florida would say.

~ ABC

PS ... I watched it for you Megi! :)

Odysseus
03-11-2011, 03:18 PM
They are in far greater danger from the radical Islamists than they are from the US government. The radicals use moderate communities to establish a beachhead in non-Muslim countries, from which they they begin to enact their agenda. They take over mosques, for example, or establish new ones, with Saudi money, and then spread Wahhabi and Salafist interpretations of the Qur'an and marginalize any other groups. They also foment hatred of non-Muslims, incite violence and coordinate support for terror groups (funding, facilitation of travel in the US, etc.,). By anointing themselves as the sole representatives of American Muslims, they also maintain control of their communities by setting the agenda. Most American Muslims would not have wanted to build a mosque at ground zero, but by creating that situation and then labelling anyone in opposition as a bigot, they have cowed many non-Muslims who might have spoken out and allied themselves with those whose instinctive reaction to a jab at America is to get on all fours and assist the assault. Their own communities see that there is nothing to be gained by resisting, when the powers that be are going along with the agenda, and are cowed into submission.

I do not quite agree with you Noonwitch. Yes, they are afraid of a *backlash* ... but they are more afraid of speaking out against the radical groups that presume to represent them in this country ... if they do, then they will pay the price, and they know it.

Perhaps what comes out in these hearings will give the rest of the American muslims the courage to speak out as did Mr. Bledsoe, a private citizen, and Mr. Bihi, whose sons were radicalized here in the USA. They were both speaking out in order to save other peoples sons from the same thing.

Not to mention, what consequences they will more than likely have to face for doing so from their own people. I applaud them for their their *cohones* as my Cuban friend from Florida would say.

~ ABC

PS ... I watched it for you Megi! :)
Exactly!

In order to protect the Muslims who want to embrace American ideals, we have to protect them from the radicals, and the only way to do that is by exposing them. Peter King isn't attacking Muslims, he's attacking facilitators of terrorism.

BTW, the Mafia used to use similar tactics to silence dissent. Anyone who accused a mafiosi was accused of anti-Italian bigotry. The wolves love to hide among the sheep.