PDA

View Full Version : " The land that Feminism Forgot: Have Dutch women found the secret to Happiness? "

megimoo
03-10-2011, 10:49 PM
They wouldn't dream of working full-time, spend three hours a day drinking coffee and their men pay for everything - have Dutch women found the secret to happiness?

Have you wondered what life would be like if feminism had never happened? If we were all housewives? If we were not required to live on our wits and our adrenaline, and were able to take up a hobby? If men were happy to step up to the mark and look after us?

Am I talking about travelling back in time to see what life was like in the Fifties? No, it is much simpler than that. I am catching a flight to Amsterdam.

A recent report reveals that fewer than ten per cent of Dutch women work full-time, and they face one of the highest wage gaps in Europe. But the surprise is itís not just mums with young families who work only two or three days a week, or older women who care for elderly relatives: it is child-free women in their 20s and 30s, too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1364690/Have-Dutch-women-secret-happiness.html

CueSi
03-11-2011, 02:17 AM
<Packs her shit for Amsterdam. . .

Why the hell not?

~QC

RobJohnson
03-11-2011, 05:48 AM
How sexist. :p

noonwitch
03-11-2011, 09:01 AM
Dutch women are just too lazy to work full time.

megimoo
03-11-2011, 09:44 AM
Dutch women are just too lazy to work full time.
They have men who love and pamper them ,why should they work ,life is good ?

Gingersnap
03-11-2011, 10:01 AM
I completely get this lifestyle and hope to join it. :D

I am very good at what I do but my work has never been my identity - it's what I do to afford real life. When I worked part-time (I was caring for my mother), I thought I died and gone to heaven. I could get everything done! And read a book! And be more amusing for my husband!

I have a handle on my material aspirations and I'd rather have 5 free hours to garden, ski, or take in a museum exhibit than I would spend 5 extra hours at work. I was so relaxed back then even though I was actually doing a lot of hands-on care-taking and handling some stressful financial matters.

Whenever one of my working friends makes the ritual "boredom" comment about a SAHM, I just laugh. You would have to be sincerely empty-headed to be bored outside of work. There is a huge difference between slamming home, handling the messages, slapping a dinner together, and then hitting the laundry and having the sheer time to carefully prepare a meal and enjoy the conversation since all the errands and work were done early in the day. :)

Odysseus
03-11-2011, 10:06 AM
The downside is that you have to wear those damned wooden shoes.

Gingersnap
03-11-2011, 10:21 AM

I adore clogs. :)

linda22003
03-11-2011, 10:23 AM
I can't imagine any justification for staying home except having small children, and God knows that's not a price worth paying.

fettpett
03-11-2011, 10:43 AM
My wife is a SAHM, she loves it, any money that she would make working would all go to daycare anyway so it's not worth it.

Odysseus
03-11-2011, 11:04 AM
I adore clogs. :)
So you don't own a plunger? :D

My wife is a SAHM, she loves it, any money that she would make working would all go to daycare anyway so it's not worth it.

Same here. Fortunately, the Army pays O4s enough for us to do that, especially in a low-tax state like TX. When the baby starts Pre-K, I suspect that Mrs. O may want to have something more to do, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

megimoo
03-11-2011, 11:26 AM
I completely get this lifestyle and hope to join it. :D

I am very good at what I do but my work has never been my identity - it's what I do to afford real life. When I worked part-time (I was caring for my mother), I thought I died and gone to heaven. I could get everything done! And read a book! And be more amusing for my husband!

I have a handle on my material aspirations and I'd rather have 5 free hours to garden, ski, or take in a museum exhibit than I would spend 5 extra hours at work. I was so relaxed back then even though I was actually doing a lot of hands-on care-taking and handling some stressful financial matters.

Whenever one of my working friends makes the ritual "boredom" comment about a SAHM, I just laugh. You would have to be sincerely empty-headed to be bored outside of work. There is a huge difference between slamming home, handling the messages, slapping a dinner together, and then hitting the laundry and having the sheer time to carefully prepare a meal and enjoy the conversation since all the errands and work were done early in the day. :)You think like a man,a Scandinavian man.Do you enjoy smoked kippers or herring for breakfast ?

Gingersnap
03-11-2011, 11:52 AM
I can't imagine any justification for staying home except having small children, and God knows that's not a price worth paying.

Good Lord, who needs a justification? As long as your financial plan covers the basics and a few comforts, why would you want waste every gorgeous day trapped inside an office? :confused:

Gingersnap
03-11-2011, 11:54 AM
You think like a man,a Scandinavian man.Do you enjoy smoked kippers or herring for breakfast ?

I do, actually. I probably eat pickled or smoked fish for breakfast twice a week. :o

Odysseus
03-11-2011, 12:30 PM
You think like a man,a Scandinavian man.Do you enjoy smoked kippers or herring for breakfast ?

I've never smoked kippers. How do you keep a kipper lit?

Gingersnap
03-11-2011, 12:42 PM

Gin.

Arroyo_Doble
03-11-2011, 01:11 PM
I do, actually. I probably eat pickled or smoked fish for breakfast twice a week. :o

I wonder if that is genetic. My wife is Dutch and she loves her pickled herring and other various smoked, putrified, ingested-by-some-water-fowl-and-buried-in-the-backyard fish.

linda22003
03-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Good Lord, who needs a justification? As long as your financial plan covers the basics and a few comforts, why would you want waste every gorgeous day trapped inside an office? :confused:

Just a few more years. My financial plan has to cover all the basics and many, many comforts. :D

Gingersnap
03-11-2011, 01:15 PM
I wonder if that is genetic. My wife is Dutch and she loves her pickled herring and other various smoked, putrified, ingested-by-some-water-fowl-and-buried-in-the-backyard fish.

Could be. The Vikings really got around.

And before you people start reflexively gagging, you should at least try some of our rotten fish and dangerous cheese. :D

Odysseus
03-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Gin.

And, that's how you keep them pickled.

Arroyo_Doble
03-11-2011, 01:24 PM
Could be. The Vikings really got around.

And before you people start reflexively gagging, you should at least try some of our rotten fish and dangerous cheese. :D

Don't listen to her. That stuff is horrid.

They know us at Central Market because I think we are one of maybe five in Ft Worth that get that stuff. Personally, I wonder if I should inform OSHA; those guys working the counter deserve hazmat suits.

Odysseus
03-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Don't listen to her. That stuff is horrid.

They know us at Central Market because I think we are one of maybe five in Ft Worth that get that stuff. Personally, I wonder if I should inform OSHA; those guys working the counter deserve hazmat suits.

putrefying fish is considered a delicacy in many parts of the word. I avoid those parts of the world for that reason.

NJCardFan
03-11-2011, 05:19 PM

You're talking to a woman who thinks Birkenstock is the height of fashion.

<runs>

Gingersnap
03-11-2011, 05:23 PM
You're talking to a woman who thinks Birkenstock is the height of fashion.

<runs>

I think they're practical. I also think I could run you down while wearing some. Especially if I was fueled by herring. :p

NJCardFan
03-11-2011, 05:24 PM
I think they're practical. I also think I could run you down while wearing some. Especially if I was fueled by herring. :p

Honey, if you knew me you'd know that you could run me down wearing a pair of flippers. :p

Gingersnap
03-11-2011, 05:25 PM
Honey, if you knew me you'd know that you could run me down wearing a pair of flippers. :p

LMAO! :D

megimoo
03-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Tell me than you have never had nova lox with sour cream or chopped liver on toast .My favorite breakfast starts with lox and clotted cream on crescents with huge cup of Italian Espresso .

fettpett
03-11-2011, 05:52 PM
So you don't own a plunger? :D

Same here. Fortunately, the Army pays O4s enough for us to do that, especially in a low-tax state like TX. When the baby starts Pre-K, I suspect that Mrs. O may want to have something more to do, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Mine are homeschooled...makes life easier

Odysseus
03-11-2011, 06:33 PM
You're saying that you have gas powered birkenstocks? :D

Depending on whether you're on land or in water, that's either very bad or very good.

Tell me than you have never had nova lox with sour cream or chopped liver on toast .My favorite breakfast starts with lox and clotted cream on crescents with huge cup of Italian Espresso .

I know that for a Jew, this is an awful thing to admit, but I don't like lox or chopped liver. My breakfast of choice when I lived in NYC was an onion bagel with butter and a Diet Coke.

Phillygirl
03-11-2011, 06:44 PM
You're saying that you have gas powered birkenstocks? :D

Depending on whether you're on land or in water, that's either very bad or very good.

I know that for a Jew, this is an awful thing to admit, but I don't like lox or chopped liver. My breakfast of choice when I lived in NYC was an onion bagel with butter and a Diet Coke.

I should have been Jewish. One of my friends in high school was Jewish. Her mother loved me because neither her husband nor her kids would eat the lox or the matzo ball soup. I loved that stuff...still do! A good bagel with lox, cream cheese, onions and capers is pure heaven!

Odysseus
03-11-2011, 06:56 PM
I should have been Jewish. One of my friends in high school was Jewish. Her mother loved me because neither her husband nor her kids would eat the lox or the matzo ball soup. I loved that stuff...still do! A good bagel with lox, cream cheese, onions and capers is pure heaven!

I would expect a Phillygirl to love cream cheese. :D

Matzo ball soup is one of my favorites. I'm just not into lox or liver, which is odd, because I love salmon sushi. I also don't care for rye bread, but I do like bacon. I suspect that this is why I will remain forever lapsed. :(

Phillygirl
03-11-2011, 07:08 PM
I would expect a Phillygirl to love cream cheese. :D

Matzo ball soup is one of my favorites. I'm just not into lox or liver, which is odd, because I love salmon sushi. I also don't care for rye bread, but I do like bacon. I suspect that this is why I will remain forever lapsed. :(

While my friend liked when I came to her house, she hated bringing me to the JCC swim club. She told me to "act like you belong here" so she didn't get charged the guest fee. So I said "Shalom" and "L'Chaim" to everyone I came across. "We don't say that!" "Well, all I know of your people is from Fiddler On the Roof. Should I sing "If I were a rich man"? She was not amused! :D

I didn't like liver as a kid, but loved liverwurst. I haven't tried it in over 30 years, though. Now I'm afraid of it!

Odysseus
03-11-2011, 08:29 PM
While my friend liked when I came to her house, she hated bringing me to the JCC swim club. She told me to "act like you belong here" so she didn't get charged the guest fee. So I said "Shalom" and "L'Chaim" to everyone I came across. "We don't say that!" "Well, all I know of your people is from Fiddler On the Roof. Should I sing "If I were a rich man"? She was not amused! :D

I didn't like liver as a kid, but loved liverwurst. I haven't tried it in over 30 years, though. Now I'm afraid of it!

Clearly, you are in need of cultural awareness training. I have just the thing for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx0WauS9Sus

Phillygirl
03-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Clearly, you are in need of cultural awareness training. I have just the thing for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx0WauS9Sus

Ha!! Pretty funny!!

Gingersnap
03-11-2011, 08:45 PM

Put your fears aside. As someone who cheerfully eats scrapple, liverwurst should present no problems. For maximum enjoyment, lightly spread rye with horseradish, apply a layer of sauerkraut (lettuce for the fearful), a few thin slices of red onions, the sausage (slice thinly) and top with the other slice of rye. Cut in half (you're a lady, aren't you?) and enjoy with a nice beer or a glass of milk. :)

Phillygirl
03-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Put your fears aside. As someone who cheerfully eats scrapple, liverwurst should present no problems. For maximum enjoyment, lightly spread rye with horseradish, apply a layer of sauerkraut (lettuce for the fearful), a few thin slices of red onions, the sausage (slice thinly) and top with the other slice of rye. Cut in half (you're a lady, aren't you?) and enjoy with a nice beer or a glass of milk. :)

I just can't do it. I'll eat snout, but not organ meat.

Gingersnap
03-11-2011, 08:54 PM
I just can't do it. I'll eat snout, but not organ meat.

It's friendly organ and one that doesn't associate with manure, rotted flesh, or sexual/birth fluids in the way porcine snouts do. Just sayin'.

megimoo
03-12-2011, 02:57 AM
It's friendly organ and one that doesn't associate with manure, rotted flesh, or sexual/birth fluids in the way porcine snouts do. Just sayin'.
People actually eat pig snouts .I've heard of people eating trotters,scraple,Oysters but never snotty pigs snout !What's the problem with organ meat ?Young pigs liver is excellent if prepared correctly.Perhaps it's the old fashioned name of offal that turns people off ?

fettpett
03-12-2011, 08:33 AM

what? Liver? the liver is the bodies filtration system, just nasty

Phillygirl
03-12-2011, 09:21 AM

You always have to take it to that level, don't you? I'll bet you won the gross out game in college.