PDA

View Full Version : Would you ever allow yourself to have a Muslim friend/Do you have any?

CaughtintheMiddle1990
03-11-2011, 09:29 AM
Well?

Odysseus
03-11-2011, 10:09 AM
I actually have some Muslim friends (it's a shock, I know), and some have served with me. They, BTW, despise what is happening to Islam and the actions of the Islamists, and they are under tremendous pressures in their community to toe the line and not break ranks with the Islamists, or their families will suffer.

Calypso Jones
03-11-2011, 10:17 AM
yes. and also Sihks and a persian. An ethiopian who happens to be Christian as about 60+% of ethiopians are christian and 30% are muslim. And look who's persecuting whom.

of the Sihk, muslims and Persian, I would only trust the Persian in a business situation. THIS particular Persian that is.

Tecate
03-11-2011, 10:33 AM
I've always found Persian women to be pretty hot.

txradioguy
03-11-2011, 11:12 AM
This is a gotcha moment waiting to happen IMHO.

Calypso Jones
03-11-2011, 11:17 AM
isn't everything?

Gingersnap
03-11-2011, 11:22 AM
I do have Muslims friends. However, these are people who live ordinary lives and have ordinary ambitions - not an ambition to convert Colorado to Islam. While my friends follow some requirements of Islam (no alcohol, no pork, no immodesty), they ignore others. The wife and daughter do not cover their heads, the husband has played catch with my dogs, and they are unafraid to eat fried chicken that is not halal.

In other words, these are friends who follow a different religion but very much like American culture and want to be a part of it.

I don't think I would be friends with anyone who despised American culture and who hated ordinary American lifestyles no matter what religion they belonged to. ;)

Odysseus
03-11-2011, 11:36 AM
yes. and also Sihks and a persian. An ethiopian who happens to be Christian as about 60+% of ethiopians are christian and 30% are muslim. And look who's persecuting whom.

of the Sihk, muslims and Persian, I would only trust the Persian in a business situation. THIS particular Persian that is.
I've always gotten along with Sihks. They are very respectful of military folks, and they have a strong tradition of service.

I've always found Persian women to be pretty hot.

Yes, which is why the chador is a crime against nature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYhxfAfqvwo&feature=related

noonwitch
03-11-2011, 11:41 AM
I don't have any close friends who are muslims, but there are muslim coworkers I've known for 20 years or so that I consider friends. I have a lot of muslim aquaintances, though, people I know through local businesses, neighbors, and at the community center. There's even a muslim woman who has found a modest swimsuit and a hijab made out of swimsuit material who takes her kids to the pool and likes to swim with them. Most of the muslim women sit by the side while the kids swim.

Tecate
03-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Yes, which is why the chador is a crime against nature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYhxfAfqvwo&feature=related
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/Loveways/drooling-homer-simpson.jpg

NJCardFan
03-11-2011, 12:12 PM
I am very friendly with the Imam at the prison. He's a really nice guy who has nothing but disdain for the inmates.

Odysseus
03-11-2011, 12:19 PM
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/Loveways/drooling-homer-simpson.jpg

I'm so glad that that's a shoulders-up image. :D

Apocalypse
03-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Are you trolling CaughtintheMiddle1990 on this to prove we are all racist?

I'll say this now as I have posted a few times converses I have had with a friend of mine who lives in Tehran Iran. I have no problems with Muslims, what I have a problem with is violent radicals that have no problem with killing children to further their cause.

And if you are trolling, then we can discuss it in the Dome where I will be more then happy to educate you.

Odysseus
03-11-2011, 01:03 PM

I'll say this now as I have posted a few times converses I have had with a friend of mine who lives in Tehran Iran. I have no problems with Muslims, what I have a problem with is violent radicals that have no problem with killing children to further their cause.

And if you are trolling, then we can discuss it in the Dome where I will be more then happy to educate you.

Generally, I've found CITM to be sincere in his attempts to get information and understand the positions of others. I think that you can take this poll at face value. Now, if it were Nightie, Wei or Wilbur, I'd be anticipating a series of "gotcha" moments.

Novaheart
03-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Well?

Whenever someone uses the term "friend" I have to ask for a definition.

I am one of few people in my world who still uses the word "acquaintance" with some regularity and doesn't consider it an insult to introduce someone as an acquaintance or be introduced by someone as an acquaintance.

My friends are people I have known for 40 years. There aren't any new people or co-workers in that club.

My rules might be too strict. I may be restricting "friend" to those who should be called "chum".

Odysseus
03-11-2011, 01:21 PM
Whenever someone uses the term "friend" I have to ask for a definition.

I am one of few people in my world who still uses the word "acquaintance" with some regularity and doesn't consider it an insult to introduce someone as an acquaintance or be introduced by someone as an acquaintance.

My friends are people I have known for 40 years. There aren't any new people or co-workers in that club.

My rules might be too strict. I may be restricting "friend" to those who should be called "chum".

A friend is someone that I trust with my life and wallet. An acquaintance is someone that I get along with but who I don't have the same level of trust with. Chum is sharkbait.

Bailey
03-11-2011, 02:08 PM
I wouldn't trust a muzzie as far as I could throw them. Never called one a friend, why should I? they dont believe as I do (dont call atheists friends either) I made the mistake of marrying a non believer and regretted it ever since. Now I joke about shit like this but I dont think we'd connect on any level.

Novaheart
03-11-2011, 02:14 PM
A friend is someone that I trust with my life and wallet. An acquaintance is someone that I get along with but who I don't have the same level of trust with. Chum is sharkbait.

A lot of people, especially younger people, do not understand the importance of an introduction. They will introduce someone as "my friend" because they think anything less is standoffish. They have no intention of taking responsibility for the introduction or the fact that they are vouching for this person.

In fairness, the vocabulary may be evolving. As affected as I consider it to be, some guys use "bro" to mean "friend" and "friend" to mean "acquaintance". It may be an age thing.

Odysseus
03-11-2011, 02:36 PM
A lot of people, especially younger people, do not understand the importance of an introduction. They will introduce someone as "my friend" because they think anything less is standoffish. They have no intention of taking responsibility for the introduction or the fact that they are vouching for this person.

In fairness, the vocabulary may be evolving. As affected as I consider it to be, some guys use "bro" to mean "friend" and "friend" to mean "acquaintance". It may be an age thing.

I refer to acquaintances as "homies." :D

Novaheart
03-11-2011, 02:42 PM
I refer to acquaintances as "homies." :D

How old are you?

Odysseus
03-11-2011, 03:25 PM
How old are you?

I'll be 49 on Saturday.

Madisonian
03-11-2011, 03:29 PM
I do have Muslims fiends.

I always knew you were evil, but I thought you would handle it all yourself.:D

Bailey
03-11-2011, 04:10 PM
Well happy bday major :)
I'll be 49 on Saturday.

Gingersnap
03-11-2011, 04:17 PM
I always knew you were evil, but I thought you would handle it all yourself.:D

LOL! You got me - I guess my inner Spelling Nazi was asleep at the switch. :p

Madisonian
03-11-2011, 04:21 PM
LOL! You got me - I guess my inner Spelling Nazi was asleep at the switch. :p

I would say you slipped on your Freudian, my dear.:D

Sonnabend
03-11-2011, 05:00 PM

Can't be racist because Islam is not a race, it's a religion.

Odysseus
03-11-2011, 06:48 PM
Well happy bday major :)

Thanks. Yes, I'm old. :o

Rockntractor
03-11-2011, 06:51 PM
I'll be 49 on Saturday.

Have you been 49 very many times before?:confused:

Odysseus
03-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Have you been 49 very many times before?:confused:

Nope. This is my first time.

Be gentle.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
03-11-2011, 06:54 PM

Well, I'm 20 and I recognize the difference between friends and acquaintances. I have maybe a dozen or more REAL friends. Twenty or so at most. Of those twenty, six I've known since I was a child; the rest I've known for 3-5 years. I have hundreds of acquaintances, some I'm friendlier with than others but you know.

Rockntractor
03-11-2011, 07:07 PM
Nope. This is my first time.

Be gentle.

It'll be okay.:(

malloc
03-11-2011, 07:10 PM
I served with a Muslim in the Marines. He was of Iranian descent I believe. He was a Marine first, American second, and Muslim third, and I liked that about him. We got along well, and he was pretty good Marine.

I guess have three levels of friend. People I know who I'm friendly with. People I know who I'm friendly with and also see more than occasionally, and do activities and barbecues and such. Then there are the friends I consider family, and there are only 5 of those, 4 of which served with me in Iraq, and the other I grew up with. The only Muslims I know are in the first tier.

Zathras
03-11-2011, 07:45 PM
Thanks. Yes, I'm old. :o

No you're not...turning 52 on the 21st here.

Lanie
03-12-2011, 12:13 AM
Okay seriously, why is this even a question? Of course I'm open to having Muslim friends. I'm not Islamophobic like some people. I only have one Muslim friend, but I'm open to more. I'm not this way because I'm a liberal. I'm willing to be friends with a Muslim because I think that everybody deserves the benefit of the doubt until they give me a reason to believe otherwise. I also might like hanging with a person, turning into friendship.

Lanie
03-12-2011, 12:14 AM
I do have Muslims friends. However, these are people who live ordinary lives and have ordinary ambitions - not an ambition to convert Colorado to Islam. While my friends follow some requirements of Islam (no alcohol, no pork, no immodesty), they ignore others. The wife and daughter do not cover their heads, the husband has played catch with my dogs, and they are unafraid to eat fried chicken that is not halal.

In other words, these are friends who follow a different religion but very much like American culture and want to be a part of it.

I don't think I would be friends with anyone who despised American culture and who hated ordinary American lifestyles no matter what religion they belonged to. ;)

Exactly. All of it.

Calypso Jones
03-12-2011, 12:17 AM
Okay, seriously why is this even a question? Of course I'm open to having Muslim friends. I'm not Islamophobic like some people.

just go out and make friends. They such friendly outgoing people i'm sure you won't have any problems.:)

I don't really consider myself islamophobic. I think of it more as explodiphobic, or shariaphobic, beheadiphobic.

:cool:

Lanie
03-12-2011, 12:17 AM
How old are you?

Hey, that term has been around since at least the 1990s. lol.

Lanie
03-12-2011, 12:19 AM
just go out and make friends. They such friendly outgoing people i'm sure you won't have any problems.:)

I don't really consider myself islamophobic. I think of it more as explosiaphobic, or shariaphobic, beheadaphobic.

:cool:

Well, unless a Muslim gives me a reason to believe he/she is for beheading people, then I won't make assumptions. I think it's bigoted to do so.

Calypso Jones
03-12-2011, 12:22 AM
Well, unless a Muslim gives me a reason to believe he/she is for beheading people, then I won't make assumptions. I think it's bigoted to do so.

good plan.

Rockntractor
03-12-2011, 12:25 AM

So have you ever thought about hiking in Iran, I mean just to make new friends?:confused:

Arroyo_Doble
03-12-2011, 12:26 AM
What a stupid question.

Calypso Jones
03-12-2011, 12:27 AM
Not if you are interested in making muslim friends it isn't.

Rockntractor
03-12-2011, 12:28 AM
What a stupid question.

Not long ago some libs did just that.

Calypso Jones
03-12-2011, 12:31 AM
and all three of them are to stand trial. Do you think little miss headscarf wearing hiker is going to go back and stand trial with her very dear liberal girly-guy friends?

Rockntractor
03-12-2011, 10:36 AM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/muslim-attack-goat.jpg