PDA

View Full Version : On dare, boy jumps off Golden Gate Bridge -- survives...

megimoo
03-11-2011, 11:18 AM
A field trip that included a walk along the Golden Gate Bridge ended with a student jumping off the bridge Thursday morning.

The unnamed student survived and was taken to San Francisco General Hospital, where he was reportedly being treated for injuries that included a bruised tailbone and a torn lung. Windsor High School superintendent Bill McDermott said the boy did not suffer any life threatening injuries. The boy's only complaint to paramedics on the scene was soreness and some bruising.

Surfers came to his rescue and helped him to shore.

The surfers said the boy told them he jumped for "fun." Early reports that he was dared to jump proved false. Students at the high school told reporters they did not dare him to jump, adding he came up with the idea on his own.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/North-Bay-Student-Survives-Jump-From-Golden-Gate-Bridge-117769468.html

Calypso Jones
03-11-2011, 11:21 AM
The parents of this kid have a serious problem on their hands.

Gingersnap
03-11-2011, 11:25 AM
This is amazing! Almost all of the jumpers who survive have critical injuries. :eek:

megimoo
03-11-2011, 11:37 AM
This is amazing! Almost all of the jumpers who survive have critical injuries. :eek:He landed butt first and injured his tailbone , 220 foot fall !

Tecate
03-11-2011, 11:43 AM
220 feet? I've jumped off a train bridge that I estimate to be 35-40 feet above the water and it seems like an eternity on the way down. 220 feet is a long way. Hell you could probably make a sandwich before you hit the water. :D

megimoo
03-11-2011, 11:45 AM
220 feet? I've jumped off a train bridge that I estimate to be 35-40 feet above the water and it seems like an eternity on the way down. 220 feet is a long way. Hell you could probably make a sandwich before you hit the water. :DOr crap your pants a few times !

SaintLouieWoman
03-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Or crap your pants a few times !
Or think it's too late to change my mind. :eek:

Calypso Jones
03-11-2011, 12:18 PM
220 ft. My thought goes to the people who jumped off the WTC.

Zathras
03-11-2011, 07:54 PM
In the history of the GGB over 2000 people have jumped from the bridge....20 have survived the plunge.

There's also a documentary called "The Bridge" where, in 2004, the film maker had cameras focused on the GGB and running during the daylight hours and captured, on film, 24 jumpers and many who were contemplating jumping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8muNsj1oUpY

megimoo
03-11-2011, 08:06 PM
In the history of the GGB over 2000 people have jumped from the bridge....20 have survived the plunge.

There's also a documentary called "The Bridge" where, in 2004, the film maker had cameras focused on the GGB and running during the daylight hours and captured, on film, 24 jumpers and many who were contemplating jumping.I'd read they'd installed nets under the most frequent jump points but for some reason they took them down ?Perhaps their lawyers discovered some new potential source for liability during a lawsuit .

malloc
03-11-2011, 08:08 PM
When I was a young Marine. I jumped off a fairly high cliff into a lake to experiment with the "abandon ship" technique. I don't know if any you are aware that it is completely possible to do a "feet flop", but don't worry, I figured it out for you. I was legs together, arms crossed, straight as a pencil going into the water, and when my feet hit the surface, supposedly there was a resounding *crack*. I had charlie horses on the bottoms of my feet for a good long while. The cliff I jumped from wasn't anywhere near 220 feet, so I can't imagine how hard this kid must have hit the water.

Some quick math on this, and we find the kid was traveling about 81MPH (118 ft./s) when he hit the water, and it would have taken 3.7 seconds of falling.

Gingersnap
03-11-2011, 08:36 PM
I have heard that one of the horrifying consequences of this kind of thing involves intestinal, vaginal, and testicular destruction. Apparently, if you aren't pretty "clenched" (and covering your genitals with your hands), the water can just burst up through the rectum and vagina with serious consequences. The pressure can essentially crush testicles.

This aside from the ordinary bone-snapping that usually goes on. :(

Calypso Jones
03-11-2011, 09:03 PM
well. that does it for me. I'm not doing it.

malloc
03-11-2011, 09:04 PM
I have heard that one of the horrifying consequences of this kind of thing involves intestinal, vaginal, and testicular destruction. Apparently, if you aren't pretty "clenched" (and covering your genitals with your hands), the water can just burst up through the rectum and vagina with serious consequences. The pressure can essentially crush testicles.

This aside from the ordinary bone-snapping that usually goes on. :(

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!