PDA

View Full Version : Japan may have hours to prevent nuclear meltdown

MountainMan
03-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Japanese officials may only have hours to cool reactors that have been disabled by Friday's massive earthquake and tsunami or face a nuclear meltdown.

Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO) (9501.T) is racing to cool down the reactor core after a highly unusual "station blackout" -- the total loss of power necessary to keep water circulating through the plant to prevent overheating.

Link (http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/12/us-japan-quake-nuclear-us-analysis-idUSTRE72B04C20110312)

Rockntractor
03-11-2011, 10:38 PM
From what I have been reading one of them may have passed the point of no return.

Nubs
03-11-2011, 11:35 PM
I'm hearing they cannot control pressure in one reactor. This means they cannot vent which means it is still heating up. Once enough pressure builds, the vessel will rupture, contianment building will breach. This will let the coolant go to atmospheric pressure. At atmosphric pressure, the remaining coolant will flash to vapor and the core will be exposed.

Rockntractor
03-11-2011, 11:39 PM
I'm hearing they cannot control pressure in one reactor. This means they cannot vent which means it is still heating up. Once enough pressure builds, the vessel will rupture, contianment building will breach. This will let the coolant go to atmospheric pressure. At atmosphric pressure, the remaining coolant will flash to vapor and the core will be exposed.
That is what I read, I think it is over for that particular reactor, it is past the point of return.

Rockntractor
03-11-2011, 11:48 PM
I would also think that what we are hearing from news agencies is only the half of it.

Arroyo_Doble
03-11-2011, 11:50 PM
I would also think that what we are hearing from news agencies is only the half of it.

It is hard to tell with the Media. I have found that it is often more like twice the problem.

Drama sells.

PoliCon
03-11-2011, 11:51 PM
If this happens - there goes any chance we've ever had at affordable solutions to our coming energy crisis.

megimoo
03-11-2011, 11:55 PM
That is what I read, I think it is over for that particular reactor, it is past the point of return.All this has happened before .Three mile island had a core meltdown and flash cooled .The containment vessel did what it was desingned to do and contained the nuclear material .Three Mile Islands remaining reactors are functioning to this day.
No China Syndrome,limited radiation,no kids with enlarged heads,no nuclear explosion just one dead cold reactor vessel and two functioning and producing power !

Rockntractor
03-11-2011, 11:57 PM
It is hard to tell with the Media. I have found that it is often more like twice the problem.

Drama sells.

I thought about that too, but they would not have needlessly evacuated as many people as they did, why cause panic if you don't have too. Also Hillary said to much too early in the game and I don't think they wanted that much information out yet.

Arroyo_Doble
03-11-2011, 11:57 PM
If this happens - there goes any chance we've ever had at affordable solutions to our coming energy crisis.

Exactly where on the North American continent (outside portions of the Pacific Northwest) are we in danger of sustaining a 8.9 magnitude quake?

Know nukes.

Rockntractor
03-11-2011, 11:59 PM
All this has happened before .Three mile island had a core meltdown and flash cooled .The containment vessel did what it was desingned to do and contained the nuclear material .Three Mile Islands remaining reactors are functioning to this day.
No China Syndrome,limited radiation,no kids with enlarged heads,no nuclear explosion just one dead cold reactor vessel and two functioning and producing power !

You are right Moo and I would expect this is how it will go.
The core is going to melt though and remember there was no natural disaster surrounding three mile island at the time.

PoliCon
03-12-2011, 12:00 AM
Exactly where on the North American continent (outside portions of the Pacific Northwest) are we in danger of sustaining a 8.9 magnitude quake?

Know nukes.

It doesn't matter if it's possible or not - the left still throws out Three Mile Island as proof that we should not be building nuclear reactors and how they are dangerous.

Arroyo_Doble
03-12-2011, 12:02 AM
It doesn't matter if it's possible or not - the left still throws out Three Mile Island as proof that we should not be building nuclear reactors and how they are dangerous.

Well, they need to grow up.

I understand objections to fraking which can poison the water table or deep drilling off shore where we see what can occur but the hostility to nuclear power is just being a luddite.

Rockntractor
03-12-2011, 12:03 AM
Know nukes.

Please if Homer Simpson can work safely around it, how bad can it be?:rolleyes:

Rockntractor
03-12-2011, 12:07 AM
Well, they need to grow up.

I understand objections to fraking which can poison the water table or deep drilling off shore where we see what can occur but the hostility to nuclear power is just being a luddite.

Fricken fraking doesn't hurt the flippin water you flake!:rolleyes:

Gingersnap
03-12-2011, 12:07 AM
All this has happened before .Three mile island had a core meltdown and flash cooled .The containment vessel did what it was desingned to do and contained the nuclear material .Three Mile Islands remaining reactors are functioning to this day.

True. While I have a lot respect for the potential problems of nuclear power, I also have a lot of respect for the engineering. Things are usually not quite as awful or quite as rosy as the media reports.

Arroyo_Doble
03-12-2011, 12:10 AM
Fricken fraking doesn't hurt the flippin water you flake!:rolleyes:

Perhaps not in Oklahoma where a statue of Erle Halliburton looks kindly over the public park but in my neck of the woods, it is an issue.

Rockntractor
03-12-2011, 12:19 AM
Perhaps not in Oklahoma where a statue of Erle Halliburton looks kindly over the public park but in my neck of the woods, it is an issue.

The libtardians made it an issue with no facts to back it up, wait till you have to put a sail on your bicycle to get to work. You will start thinking differently.

Arroyo_Doble
03-12-2011, 12:25 AM
The libtardians made it an issue with no facts to back it up, wait till you have to put a sail on your bicycle to get to work. You will start thinking differently.

Don't you have some sort of barn dance or cock fight to attend tonight, Okie?

Rockntractor
03-12-2011, 12:26 AM

Sun went down.:(

Arroyo_Doble
03-12-2011, 12:27 AM
Sun went down.:(

HA!

You owe me a screen.

Rockntractor
03-12-2011, 01:07 AM
http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/03/77025.html

URGENT: Concerns of core partially melting at Fukushima nuke plant
TOKYO, March 12, Kyodo

The core at Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant's No. 1 reactor may be partially melting, the nuclear safety agency said Saturday.

Radioactive substance cesium was detected around the reactor, it said.
New off Drudge

megimoo
03-12-2011, 01:16 AM
True. While I have a lot respect for the potential problems of nuclear power, I also have a lot of respect for the engineering. Things are usually not quite as awful or quite as rosy as the media reports.With every nuclear cooling failure comes a new improvement.I Would point out that the Navy has been operating Nuclear submarines since 1954 and aircraft carriers since 1960 without an accident as far as we know ? If you scoff at the size of navel reactors consider that one Nuclear submarine is able to power a small city with its reactor and with the recent improvements in steam turbine design has the energy to power a city the size of Los Angeles .

Rockntractor
03-12-2011, 01:27 AM
Japan authorities: TEPCO plant fuel rods may have melted -Jiji

March 12 | Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:38am EST
(Reuters) - Japanese nuclear authorities said that there was a high possibility that nuclear fuel rods at a reactor at Tokyo Electric Power's Daiichi plant may be melting or have melted, Jiji news agency reported.

Experts have said that if the fuel rods have been damaged, it means that it could develop into a breach of the nuclear reactor vessel and the question then becomes one of how strong the containment structure around the vessel is and whether it has been undermined by the earthquake.]
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/12/japan-quake-melting-idUSTKG00707420110312

Rockntractor
03-12-2011, 01:32 AM
Evacuation area has gone from 3 to 10 kilometers.

txradioguy
03-12-2011, 07:47 AM

Know nukes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Seismic_Zone

fettpett
03-12-2011, 08:10 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12720219

According to the BBC there was an explosion this morning and radiation levels have decreased since

Cooling system failure
Nuclear reactors at four power plants in the earthquake-struck zone automatically shut down on Friday.

In several of the reactors at the two Fukushima plants the cooling systems, which should keep operating on emergency power supplies, failed.

Without cooling, the temperature in the reactor core builds, with the risk that it could melt through its container into the building housing the system.

Pressure also builds in the containers housing the reactor.

Tepco said it was pumping water into the Fukushima-Daiichi's number one reactor in a bid to cool it down.

The reactors the plant are Boiling Water Reactors (BWR), one of the most commonly used designs, and widely used throughout Japan's array of nuclear power stations.

Analysts say a meltdown would not necessarily lead to a major disaster because light-water reactors would not explode even if they overheated.

AmPat
03-12-2011, 08:45 AM
I thought about that too, but they would not have needlessly evacuated as many people as they did, why cause panic if you don't have too. Also Hillary said to much too early in the game and I don't think they wanted that much information out yet.

Standard procedure Rock. There are mandatory responses depending on the alerts. The entire building is designed to contain the material and radioactivity in an event like this.

NJCardFan
03-12-2011, 08:59 AM

Ah, but we all know now that what cause the problems at 3 Mile Island was Deadpool, Wolverine, and Sabretooth.

megimoo
03-12-2011, 09:04 AM
Japan quake: "There is no light and no food, but people are calm"

NJCardFan
03-12-2011, 09:19 AM
Japan quake: "There is no light and no food, but people are calm"

O'Reilly interviewed an American radio talk show host who lives in Tokyo and he was saying how the attitude of the Japanese people is that life will go on. In all fairness, that is a wonderful outlook on it and shows that they will persevere.

megimoo
03-12-2011, 09:50 AM
O'Reilly interviewed an American radio talk show host who lives in Tokyo and he was saying how the attitude of the Japanese people is that life will go on. In all fairness, that is a wonderful outlook on it and shows that they will persevere.It's been proven to them many time .they can be an extremely serene and peaceful people or savage and warlike .

Odysseus
03-12-2011, 02:34 PM

Know nukes.
Actually, there are fault lines in a few other places. California is the most obvious, but there are other major fault areas. The odds on an 8.9 are pretty remote, but if the area hasn't been built up to withstand it, the effects could still be catastrophic.

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/135095/US-FAULT-LINES.jpg

O'Reilly interviewed an American radio talk show host who lives in Tokyo and he was saying how the attitude of the Japanese people is that life will go on. In all fairness, that is a wonderful outlook on it and shows that they will persevere.

That they will. I expect that we will be sending a relief expeditionary force to Japan shortly. They'll need water purification teams, engineering dets, medical support and, I hate to say it, mortuary affairs.

lacarnut
03-12-2011, 03:05 PM

No looting either. Just the opposite of Haiti.

Bailey
03-12-2011, 03:10 PM
No looting either. Just the opposite of Haiti.

Well the Japanese aren't savages and they won't wait for handouts like Haiti.

lacarnut
03-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Well the Japanese aren't savages and they won't wait for handouts like Haiti.

Very true but I will send them a donation. Nada on Haiti.

Kay
03-12-2011, 03:59 PM
Very true but I will send them a donation. Nada on Haiti.

My sentiments exactly.

KhrushchevsShoe
03-12-2011, 04:03 PM
I doubt there will be many outlets to even donate (there will be scams, of course). Japan's response so far has been pretty impressive, the international efforts fueled by your taxdollars are probably going to do the trick.

lacarnut
03-12-2011, 04:34 PM
I doubt there will be many outlets to even donate (there will be scams, of course). Japan's response so far has been pretty impressive, the international efforts fueled by your taxdollars are probably going to do the trick.

The International Red Cross will not get a dime. Maybe the 700 club:)

fettpett
03-12-2011, 04:34 PM
If anyone is looking for a good relief agency to donate to ADRA is usually one of the first responders to an area struck by disaster and 90% goes straight to relief efforts, unlike the Red Cross or other similar organizations. http://www.adra.org/site/PageServer

NJCardFan
03-12-2011, 05:27 PM

Actually, in all other past disasters, private donations far exceeded those by the federal gubment.

namvet
03-12-2011, 06:09 PM
they've now reported a 2nd reactor in trouble

KhrushchevsShoe
03-12-2011, 07:30 PM

Actually the real reason nuclear power isn't possible in the United States is because of the insane drive by people to eradicate government spending.

Think about it, if you owned a plant that could kill 100,000 people would you want to face that liability? Not unless you had the full backing of the Federal Government. So the government helps out because nobody in their right minds would assume that level of risk. So right there, no government funding = no nuclear power.

Next, the US has some of the best safety regulations in the world, but they are slipping because the bodies who are supposed to inspect and maintain the plants suffer routinely from a lack of funding. It doesn't help that people want to eliminate the EPA and other agencies who share the responsibility of keeping our use of nuclear power safe.

Rockntractor
03-12-2011, 07:36 PM
Actually the real reason nuclear power isn't possible in the United States is because of the insane drive by people to eradicate government spending.

Think about it, if you owned a plant that could kill 100,000 people would you want to face that liability? Not unless you had the full backing of the Federal Government. So the government helps out because nobody in their right minds would assume that level of risk. So right there, no government funding = no nuclear power.

Next, the US has some of the best safety regulations in the world, but they are slipping because the bodies who are supposed to inspect and maintain the plants suffer routinely from a lack of funding. It doesn't help that people want to eliminate the EPA and other agencies who share the responsibility of keeping our use of nuclear power safe.

Give them all of your money.

Rockntractor
03-12-2011, 07:44 PM
they've now reported a 2nd reactor in trouble

According to the latest on Drudge there are six reactors in trouble now.

namvet
03-12-2011, 07:58 PM
what a history. they were terrified from the Abombs dropped. advocated elimination of nukes and now terrifed from what they made.

SaintLouieWoman
03-12-2011, 09:23 PM
Aren't you from Arkansas? Not much room there to diss Oklahoma.

SaintLouieWoman
03-12-2011, 09:25 PM

Also they haven't been looting. They are an orderly and disciplined people.

Arroyo_Doble
03-12-2011, 11:48 PM
Aren't you from Arkansas? Not much room there to diss Oklahoma.

Actually, I was born in Oklahoma and spent most of my early life there before moving about 30 miles across the border into Arkansas at the age of 14.

My jibe was a friendly one. I have alot of family (father, brother, many, many others) that live in Oklahoma.

Rockntractor
03-12-2011, 11:58 PM
Actually, I was born in Oklahoma and spent most of my early life there before moving about 30 miles across the border into Arkansas at the age of 14.

My jibe was a friendly one. I have alot of family (father, brother, many, many others) that live in Oklahoma.

I knew that, no offence taken.

Arroyo_Doble
03-13-2011, 12:06 AM

I just didn't want SLW to think I was being rude. I figured you knew I was joking.

There are too many headstones in the Marlow cemetary with my last name for me to hold any animosity toward the great state of Oklahoma.

txradioguy
03-13-2011, 12:10 AM

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/298/weallknowaretardsl4.jpg

PoliCon
03-13-2011, 12:16 AM

http://www.funnyforumpics.com/forums/flame-insults/11/Shit-Bullshit_bag.jpg

djones520
03-13-2011, 12:23 AM

There was no offense because you did have one to attend. :p

Rockntractor
03-13-2011, 12:25 AM
There was no offense because you did have one to attend. :p

Hey there is a lot of good chicken leftover after those cockfights.

megimoo
03-13-2011, 12:40 AM

The EPA is a mindless bureaucracy bent on shutting down every source of energy in America .They advocate green power while they know well that that is a fallacy .Solar and Wind are totally inadequate sources of power on an public or industrial scale.

They and their cause lurk on the fringe of insanity with their never ending scams to justify stifling American growth and productivity. They violate the laws as if they have special license and some environmentalist have used explosives to murdered those whom they hate.

Rockntractor
03-13-2011, 01:42 PM
10K dead in Japan amid fears of nuclear meltdowns AP
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_japan_earthquake

namvet
03-13-2011, 01:50 PM
before/after photos with slide bar

link (http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/japan-quake-2011/beforeafter.htm)

namvet
03-13-2011, 01:53 PM
on meet the press this morning they claimed the US has offered to send the best minds we have to help with these reactors. they refused !!!! they are flirting with the lives of their people. Japanese as a rule do not ask for help. they think they can solve it themselves. they are being very foolish here

namvet
03-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Japan tsunami survivor Hiromitsu Shinkawa found 10 miles out at sea. im sure many more were washed out and drowned

A 60-year-old man has been found on the roof of his floating house nearly 10 miles out at sea, two days after the tsunami that devastated the north-east coast of Japan.

Hiromitsu Shinkawa must have resigned himself to his fate when he was swept away by the retreating tsunami that roared ashore in his home town of Minami Soma in Fukushima prefecture.

As the wave approached, Shinkawa took the fateful decision to return home to collect belongings. Minutes later he was out at sea clinging to a piece of the roof from his own home.

Incredibly, he was spotted by a maritime self-defence force destroyer taking part in the rescue effort as he clung to the wreckage with one hand and waved a self-made red flag with the other. He had been at sea for two days.

Reports said that on being handed a drink aboard the rescue boat, Shinkawa gulped it down and immediately burst into tears. His wife, with whom he had returned home as the tsunami approached, is still missing.

He was quoted as saying: "No helicopters or boats that came nearby noticed me. I thought that day was going to be the last day of my life."

Officials said Shinkawa was in good condition after being taken to hospital by helicopter.

"I ran away after I heard a tsunami was coming," he told Jiji Press. "But I turned back to fetch something from home and was swept away. I was rescued while hanging on to the roof of my house."

The self-defence forces said the good weather and calm waters had allowed Shinkawa to stay alive during his 48-hour drift.

source (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/13/japan-tsunami-survivor-shinkawa-rescued-fukushima)

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2011/3/13/1300025776724/Tsunami-victim-Hiromitsu--007.jpg

probably asking which way to America and how far

Rockntractor
03-13-2011, 02:33 PM
on meet the press this morning they claimed the US has offered to send the best minds we have to help with these reactors. they refused !!!! they are flirting with the lives of their people. Japanese as a rule do not ask for help. they think they can solve it themselves. they are being very foolish here

Our country is currently doing everything they can to destroy our energy sector, we refuse to build nuclear power plants refineries and to allow drilling. We have declared carbon the building block of life a pollutant and our secretary of state recently announced we were sending japan an island nation water to cool their reactors.
In 2008 we as a nation decided Barrak Obama was our most qualified person for the most powerful position in the world. I wouldn't ask our advice either.

Novaheart
03-13-2011, 02:41 PM

I wonder if we have ships in place to protect the disputed islands while this is going on.

namvet
03-13-2011, 02:52 PM
I wonder if we have ships in place to protect the disputed islands while this is going on.

which islands???

namvet
03-13-2011, 02:53 PM
and where's the rest of the god damned world ??? are we the only ones helping???

SaintLouieWoman
03-13-2011, 02:55 PM

I was just kidding. I take enough grief over being from Misery, as some anti-flyover country types have pronounced my home state.

SaintLouieWoman
03-13-2011, 02:56 PM
and where's the rest of the god damned world ??? are we the only ones helping???

What else is new? :rolleyes:

Novaheart
03-13-2011, 02:57 PM
which islands???

Senkaku or something like that. There are islands disputed by China and some by Russia

Odysseus
03-13-2011, 04:30 PM

Yeah, that's the ticket. It's not the shrill hysterics at Greenpeace that use every legal trick in a law that was designed to give them the means to delay and derail construction of nuclear plants, or the hostility of government types to permitting licenses for new plants. Nope, in the minds (or what passes for them) of doctrinaire leftists, the problem is that we just don't have enough government to fix a problem that was created by government in the first place! :rolleyes:

Japan tsunami survivor Hiromitsu Shinkawa found 10 miles out at sea. im sure many more were washed out and drowned

source (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/13/japan-tsunami-survivor-shinkawa-rescued-fukushima)

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2011/3/13/1300025776724/Tsunami-victim-Hiromitsu--007.jpg

probably asking which way to America and how far
Either that or he was trying to rescue Sean Penn. :D

http://www.hyscience.com/archives/penn_boating.jpeg.jpg

Well, the other countries that usually send aid when something like this happens are Japan, which is pretty busy in its own right, the various EUnuchs (mostly symbolic support, since the NATO aid is usually primarily American, but once in a while, the French will send a runny cheese or the Germans will send some beer, but otherwise, it's us), Canada, Australia and Israel. The rest of the world, not so much.

Rockntractor
03-14-2011, 11:48 AM
Standard procedure Rock. There are mandatory responses depending on the alerts. The entire building is designed to contain the material and radioactivity in an event like this.

The rods are now completely exposed.

(Reuters) - Nuclear fuel rods at a quake-stricken Japanese nuclear reactor are now fully exposed, Jiji news agency said, quoting the plant's operator, Tokyo Eletcric Power Co .

The report referred to the Fukushima Daiichi complex's No.2 reactor, where levels of water coolant around the reactor core had been reported as falling earlier in the day.

The Jiji report said a meltdown of the fuel rods could not be ruled out. A meltdown raises the risk of damage to the reactor vessel and a possible radioactive leak, experts say. (Editing by Mark Bendeich)
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/14/japan-quake-rods-idUSTKB00733720110314

Odysseus
03-14-2011, 12:02 PM
The rods are now completely exposed.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/14/japan-quake-rods-idUSTKB00733720110314

If an agnostic can pray for a good outcome (and there's really nothing else that we can do over here), then they have my prayers.

Rockntractor
03-14-2011, 01:32 PM
Tokyo Electric Struggles to Contain Cooling Failures at Quake-Hit Reactors
By Tsuyoshi Inajima, Yuji Okada and Shigeru Sato - Mar 14, 2011 10:15 AM CT

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said today that the vessel containing the reactor’s radioactive core is intact after the blast at 11:01 a.m. local time. Photographer: Haruyoshi Yamaguchi/Bloomberg

Tokyo Electric Power Co. engineers tried to stabilize three nuclear reactors damaged by the biggest earthquake in Japan’s history after the plant was struck by a second explosion and as water levels dropped at one reactor, exposing fuel rods and increasing the threat of a meltdown.

The cooling system failed at the Dai-Ichi No. 2 reactor today, said Tokyo Electric, which runs the Fukushima nuclear plant 220 kilometers (135 miles) north of the nation’s capital. Fuel rods at the reactor may have melted after becoming fully exposed, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano told reporters.

A hydrogen explosion occurred at the No. 3 reactor today, following a similar blast on March 12 at the No. 1 reactor that destroyed the walls of its building. The utility has been flooding the three reactors with water and boric acid to reduce the potential for a large release of radiation into the atmosphere following the March 11 earthquake-generated tsunami that smashed into the plant, disabling electricity supply and backup generators.

“They are managing the situation, they have very qualified personnel there,” Gennady Pshakin, a nuclear expert based in Obninsk, Russia, said by telephone. “We will have a week or 10 days of this uncertainty, but the situation should normalize. What we need is for the water supply to be constant.”

Radiation Concerns

U.S Navy ships and planes involved in earthquake rescue efforts were moved after radiation was detected on three helicopters.

“Low level radioactivity” was detected on 17 air crew members when they returned to the USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier operating about 100 miles northeast from the plant, Navy spokesman Jeff Davis said in an e-mail.

Japanese officials yesterday evacuated more than 200,000 people and handed out iodine, used to protect the thyroid from radioactivity, as they extended an exclusion zone around the plant to 20 kilometers.

Winds in the area of the Fukushima plant are blowing at less than 10 kilometers (6 miles) per hour generally in a northeasterly and northerly direction, according to a 9 a.m. update from the Japan Meteorological Agency today.

Core Intact

The vessel containing the No. 3 reactor’s radioactive core is intact after today’s blast, Edano said. The likelihood of a large radiation leak is very small, even as radiation levels at the No. 3 reactor are rising, said Edano, the government’s spokesman.

Tepco, as Asia’s biggest utility is known, said at least four employees and two contractors were injured in the blast. The company’s shares slumped 24 percent.

There are six boiling-water reactors at the Fukushima Dai- Ichi plant, three of which were shut for maintenance before the earthquake.

Unit No. 1 is a General Electric Co. (GE) model that can generate 439 megawatts of power and began commercial operation in 1971, according to the International Atomic Energy Agency. The No. 2 reactor was built by GE Toshiba and the No. 3 by Toshiba Corp.

Tokyo Electric said the sea water used to cool the two reactors is being retained at the plant. “We will look into what we will do about the water,” spokesman Shogo Fukuda said by telephone today.

Flooding the reactors with sea water renders them useless for future power production.

The disaster at Fukushima isn’t the first quake-related accident for Tokyo Electric.

A 6.8-magnitude temblor on July 16, 2007, caused a fire and radiation leaks that shut down the Kashiwazaki Kariwa nuclear plant, the world’s biggest. It took almost two years to restart.

To contact the reporters on this story: Tsuyoshi Inajima in Tokyo at tinajima@bloomberg.net; Yuji Okada in Tokyo at yokada6@bloomberg.net; Shigeru Sato in Tokyo at ssato10@bloomberg.net

The rods are melting in three cores.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-14/hydrogen-explosion-occurs-at-nuclear-power-plant-135-miles-north-of-tokyo.html

Nubs
03-14-2011, 05:37 PM
So we have gone from "It's OK, nothing ti see here" to "it's not as bad a 3 mile island" to blowing up 2 containment buildings in 3 days to "Yea we have uncovered rods, but it's not as bad a Chernobyl".

I'm afraid we are going to see this devolve into something worse than Chernobyl.

Rockntractor
03-14-2011, 05:44 PM
So we have gone from "It's OK, nothing ti see here" to "it's not as bad a 3 mile island" to blowing up 2 containment buildings in 3 days to "Yea we have uncovered rods, but it's not as bad a Chernobyl".

I'm afraid we are going to see this devolve into something worse than Chernobyl.

I don't know that it will be that bad, but it seemed like they were releasing too much information for it to be nothing to see here, everything is routine.

SarasotaRepub
03-14-2011, 06:37 PM
Another explosion at Reactor #2 about 20 mins ago...:(

Nubs
03-14-2011, 07:42 PM
From what I have gleaned, they knew, by using seawater to cool the reactors, hydrogen would be evolved. They choose to vent the hydrogen into the area inside of the square reactor containment building. Certainly after blowing up 2 exterior containment buildings, one would think they would vent directly to atmosphere to mitigate any potential explosion. Now a third has blown with increased concern that the steel containment vessel has ruptured. I really wonder if the rods got put back into place after the first earthquake.

lacarnut
03-14-2011, 09:17 PM
From what I have gleaned, they knew, by using seawater to cool the reactors, hydrogen would be evolved. They choose to vent the hydrogen into the area inside of the square reactor containment building. Certainly after blowing up 2 exterior containment buildings, one would think they would vent directly to atmosphere to mitigate any potential explosion. Now a third has blown with increased concern that the steel containment vessel has ruptured. I really wonder if the rods got put back into place after the first earthquake.

We will know within 10 days. That is the time it will take to fill up the inside of the reactor with seawater. It is over with if it works. All of this Monday back quarterbacking is speculation. Especially these fear mongers spreading the possibility that radiation will affect our west coast. The facts are that extremely very low amounts of radiation have escaped so far amounting to the exposure of an x-ray. .

Rockntractor
03-14-2011, 09:21 PM
We will know within 10 days. That is the time it will take to fill up the inside of the reactor with seawater. It is over with if it works. All of this Monday back quarterbacking is speculation. Especially these fear mongers spreading the possibility that radiation will affect our west coast. The facts are that extremely very low amounts of radiation have escaped so far amounting to the exposure of an x-ray. .

It won't effect our coast, I feel for them though because they don't have any extra real estate.

namvet
03-15-2011, 09:06 AM
Fox reporting radiation leaking into atmosphere. don't worry be happy???

Japan Nuclear Crisis Widens as Radiation Leaks Into Atmosphere

source (http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/03/15/japanese-nuclear-panic-rises-agency-says-radiation-leaking-atmosphere/#)

namvet
03-15-2011, 09:14 AM
It won't effect our coast, I feel for them though because they don't have any extra real estate.

maybe we should ask them. they discovered the jet stream

txradioguy
03-15-2011, 12:25 PM
Three's now a 19 mile no fly zone around the plant.

A U.S. Navy base 200 miles south has detected radiation.

And the U.S. and Japan are mulling whether to use helicopters to spray water into the cooling ponds.

namvet
03-15-2011, 12:47 PM
Straffor is reporting meltdown. the reactor core is leaking a massive cloud that is heading south.

namvet
03-15-2011, 01:01 PM
Three's now a 19 mile no fly zone around the plant.

A U.S. Navy base 200 miles south has detected radiation.

And the U.S. and Japan are mulling whether to use helicopters to spray water into the cooling ponds.

the base is in Yokuska

AmPat
03-19-2011, 11:56 AM

Waiting for us as usual. Why doesn't O Blah Blah just tell them to "plug the hole?":rolleyes: