PDA

View Full Version : To any computer (esp. Windows) wonks here: Help!

Articulate_Ape
03-12-2011, 07:03 PM
I have been having this pesky and VERY annoying mo9use problem and I am open to any advice you can offer.

First a little background. I used to run on Windows Vista (which was a resource hog), but I have since upgraded to Windows 7 which, at least so far and aside from this one issue, has worked much better for me. Back when I was on Vista I had a wireless mouse and it worked fine for a while then I started getting a problem with the mouse freezing briefly (with a "bloop" sound like the USB Bluetooth had been unplugged, then another "bloop" as it resumed working). I tried all of the things I detail below and could not resolve it, so I went back to a corded mouse and that worked fine. Now I am getting the same issue with my corded mouse on Windows 7. I again have tried all the things below, but to no avail so far. I have Googled but cannot find anything additional beyond what I have already attempted.

What I have tried:

Virus scan in and out of Safe Mode
Spyware scan in and out of Safe Mode
Updating nVidia drivers (seemed to fix it for a while, but then prob returned)
Setting Windows Installer startup to manual
Tried a different corded mouse
Disabled unused services
System restore
Replaced the default Windows Aero pointer scheme with a different one
And tried some other stuff I can't even remember now

Has anyone else ever run into this? Any idea what I should try next?

Thanks much.

Madisonian
03-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Is this a laptop or desktop?
How many USB devices are plugged in?

There is only so much power available to the USB port(s), it could be that there is too much of a draw down from other devices.

You could also try going into your device manager and deleting the driver and then letting the system find the mouse on the next power up and letting it re-install.
Note... if you try this approach and your computer completely fucks up, remember my advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.:D

Articulate_Ape
03-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Is this a laptop or desktop?
How many USB devices are plugged in?

There is only so much power available to the USB port(s), it could be that there is too much of a draw down from other devices.

You could also try going into your device manager and deleting the driver and then letting the system find the mouse on the next power up and letting it re-install.
Note... if you try this approach and your computer completely fucks up, remember my advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.:D

Its a tower, Madisonian. But you may have hit on it. I have USB devices plugged into every available orifice! What you are suggesting makes good sense. What can I do to remedy this? Thanks.

Rockntractor
03-12-2011, 07:33 PM
I I started getting a problem with the mouse freezing briefly (with a "bloop" sound like the USB Bluetooth had been unplugged, then another "bloop" as it resumed working).

I finally gave up on bluetooth with windows 7. I couldn't find a reliable driver for the transmitter.

Articulate_Ape
03-12-2011, 08:06 PM
I finally gave up on bluetooth with windows 7. I couldn't find a reliable driver for the transmitter.

I hear ya, but I am using a corded mouse on my desktop, Rock, and I still get this damned hiccup in my mouse. I have shout off the power saving option on all USB hubs and I am now running a scan with a new ad-ware/spyware program I got.

It is such a weird prob. It comes and goes. It's like a penis. :p

Rockntractor
03-12-2011, 08:08 PM
I hear ya, but I am using a corded mouse on my desktop, Rock, and I still get this damned hiccup in my mouse. I have shout off the power saving option on all USB hubs and I am now running a scan with a new ad-ware/spyware program I got.

It is such a weird prob. It comes and goes. It's like a penis. :p

Is it happening with all programs?

Articulate_Ape
03-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Is it happening with all programs?

Yeah. With web browser open, with it closed, etc. It's not a game-stopper, but it's really irritating.

Madisonian
03-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Its a tower, Madisonian. But you may have hit on it. I have USB devices plugged into every available orifice! What you are suggesting makes good sense. What can I do to remedy this? Thanks.

There are powered USB expansion hubs (internal and external) that will take the load off the motherboard.

Example...
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0219757

If you are running a laser mouse, wireless keyboard, USB back up hard drive, printer, etc all at the same time its like trying to run your fridge, microwave, coffee pot, toaster oven and vacuum cleaner off of 1 circuit in your kitchen using a 6 port power strip.

JB
03-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Plug the mouse into the proper mouse slot in the back.

Madisonian
03-12-2011, 08:33 PM
You could always go with the Apple.

You know what they say...
Once you've gone Mac, you've spent too much to go back.:p

fettpett
03-12-2011, 09:26 PM
Plug the mouse into the proper mouse slot in the back.

there is no such thing anymore. they are all USB.

Rockntractor
03-12-2011, 09:29 PM
there is no such thing anymore. they are all USB.

He is sill using 98.

fettpett
03-12-2011, 09:32 PM
He is sill using 98.

are you sure it's not ME?

Rockntractor
03-12-2011, 09:33 PM

I would be surprised!:D

Articulate_Ape
03-12-2011, 09:33 PM
There are powered USB expansion hubs (internal and external) that will take the load off the motherboard.

Example...

If you are running a laser mouse, wireless keyboard, USB back up hard drive, printer, etc all at the same time its like trying to run your fridge, microwave, coffee pot, toaster oven and vacuum cleaner off of 1 circuit in your kitchen using a 6 port power strip.

Thanks.

fettpett
03-12-2011, 09:34 PM
I would be surprised!:D

LOL...could be OS/2 :D

Rockntractor
03-12-2011, 09:35 PM
LOL...could be OS/2 :D

Did it have solitaire yet?:confused:

Madisonian
03-12-2011, 09:38 PM

If YOU are not sure it is YOU, then how are we to know?

Rockntractor
03-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Did anyone ever use 2000, I never knew a soul with it or NT 4.0

fettpett
03-12-2011, 09:51 PM
If YOU are not sure it is YOU, then how are we to know?

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Millennium Edition :p

nope, I think I tried installing it once, but it didn't work right....

Madisonian
03-12-2011, 09:58 PM

Up until just a few years ago I had to run NT4 on some machines for networking reasons.
Still have one old laptop that was ME when purchased that was upgraded and still is W2K.

In automation programming, the OS world revolves very slowly. We are still using XP Pro platforms for automation and CNC programming and still need serial ports to talk to the processors.

RobJohnson
03-14-2011, 01:04 AM

I had 2OOO and used it with ADP body shop estimating software.

But Sherwin was the paint mixing system I had, and they were using Windows 95 at the time on a touch screen computer...they said it was more stable for them...weird...touch pads were very expensive then...this was like 2001...

fettpett
03-14-2011, 08:34 AM
I had 2OOO and used it with ADP body shop estimating software.

But Sherwin was the paint mixing system I had, and they were using Windows 95 at the time on a touch screen computer...they said it was more stable for them...weird...touch pads were very expensive then...this was like 2001...

95 was more stable but 98 would have made more sense...they probably thought that the expense was worth the money

Articulate_Ape
03-19-2011, 08:20 PM

Example...

Dude, I owe you. This SO fixed a problem that was driving me nuts for too long. Thanks again! :)

Madisonian
03-19-2011, 08:43 PM
Dude, I owe you. This SO fixed a problem that was driving me nuts for too long. Thanks again! :)

No problem my friend. Glad to have been of help.:)

Zafod
03-20-2011, 12:01 AM
I was going to mention about power draw. It has to to with your power supply feeding the board. Is it a dell? They used to have many problems with low power output due to inadequate power supplies.

malloc
03-20-2011, 02:21 AM

I went from 98 to 2K, and I used 2K for a long time before going to XP. Of course I only really use Windows for games, and it's what is installed on my work laptop, which I can't change.

txradioguy
03-20-2011, 04:42 AM
Originally Posted by Rockntractor

I used NT 4.0 on my home computer up to the very end (SP 6) then I switched to 2000.

They were by far the two most stable Windows platforms of the time and I didn't have to deal with the BSoD when I had them on my system.