PDA

View Full Version : If you spank Dad, you're depressed

fettpett
03-14-2011, 08:46 AM
http://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-health/brain-and-behavior/articles/2011/03/14/depressed-dads-more-likely-to-spank-shortchange-kids-study

Depressed Dads More Likely to Spank, Shortchange Kids: Study
Sad fathers also read less to their children than other dads, researchers find
Posted: March 14, 2011
By Kathleen Doheny
HealthDay Reporter

MONDAY, March 14 (HealthDay News) -- Depressed dads are more likely to shortchange their children and use physical punishment, even on tots who are still crawling, new research suggests.

A study involving fathers of 1-year-olds found they were more likely to spank and less likely to read to their youngsters than mentally healthy fathers.

"Depressive symptoms in dads may affect the way they interact with their child in negative ways," said Dr. R. Neal Davis, a pediatrician at Intermountain Healthcare in Murray, Utah.

For the study, published online March 14 in the journal Pediatrics, Davis and his colleagues evaluated data supplied by 1,746 fathers of 1-year-olds who participated in the Fragile Families and Child Wellbeing Study. This long-running study is following nearly 5,000 children born in large U.S. cities between 1998 and 2000.

Overall, 7 percent of the dads had had a depressive episode within the previous year, which is about typical of the general population, said Davis, who conducted the analysis while doing research in pediatrics at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.

The father, who lived with their children all or most of the time, were asked about four behaviors, both positive and negative.

The researchers found that the depressed dads were nearly four times as likely to report spanking their child in the past month, with 41 percent of depressed dads and 13 percent of non-depressed dads doing so.

Depressed fathers were also less than half as likely to report reading stories to their children three or more times a week compared to non-depressed dads.

There were no differences in the fathers' reporting of playing games or singing songs, whether depressed or not.

I guess that all of us guys that disciplined our children were depressed. :rolleyes:

Adam Wood
03-14-2011, 08:49 AM
If you spank Dad, then you're having a pretty serious role-reversal issue. Or else that is some extremely bizarre incestuous fetish behavior going on.

fettpett
03-14-2011, 08:54 AM
If you spank Dad, then you're having a pretty serious role-reversal issue. Or else that is some extremely bizarre incestuous fetish behavior going on.

:p I put the comma in the wrong spot

noonwitch
03-14-2011, 09:16 AM
This isn't surprising, considering how generously they define depression these days.

I'm neutral on spanking that doesn't inure the child. I don't see the need to spank infants, but it can be effective on toddlers. I watched my sister wrestling with her 8 year old over the weekend and kept thinking how quickly a spanking would have resolved that issue.

djones520
03-14-2011, 09:26 AM
I've only had a few occasions to give my kid a swat on the butt so far. I think they've been relatively ineffective because I've been to worried to put any force behind it.

Usually when he's throwing a dumb tantrum a stern voice, and threatening to take something from him gets him back in line.

Bailey
03-14-2011, 10:11 AM
I thought all dads spank? Oh you meant hit a kid...:D

eagleexpress
03-14-2011, 10:23 AM
I guess my dad was very deepressed then because I still remember his spankings

fettpett
03-14-2011, 11:18 AM
Come on Djones, they go cushion there for a reason. even if you leave a little bit of a mark, it's not going to cause any damage. :D

I don't spank my kids that much, unless they did something worth it, it's usually a swat on the butt. for example in the last couple days my kids decided to try and get a knife and cut down a string, then lied about doing it. (it would have been funny if they hadn't lied cuz they weren't particularly quite or sneaky about it) Not only did they get spankings but they got some apple cider vinegar for lying.

noonwitch
03-14-2011, 12:11 PM
Come on Djones, they go cushion there for a reason. even if you leave a little bit of a mark, it's not going to cause any damage. :D

I don't spank my kids that much, unless they did something worth it, it's usually a swat on the butt. for example in the last couple days my kids decided to try and get a knife and cut down a string, then lied about doing it. (it would have been funny if they hadn't lied cuz they weren't particularly quite or sneaky about it) Not only did they get spankings but they got some apple cider vinegar for lying.

Don't leave marks, at least not if your kid attends public school. CPS's standard for what constitutes abuse is marks that are still there by the time the workers get to your kid at school, after the teachers call in the referral. That's usually 24 hours, though, because it's not a priority case if the kid isn't seriously injured.

fettpett
03-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Don't leave marks, at least not if your kid attends public school. CPS's standard for what constitutes abuse is marks that are still there by the time the workers get to your kid at school, after the teachers call in the referral. That's usually 24 hours, though, because it's not a priority case if the kid isn't seriously injured.

well my kids are homeschooled :p and I'm not talking a welt that lasts for weeks, but just a spot where hand and buttcheek connected and stings.

honestly they are WAY to quick to jump on parents

Novaheart
03-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Thinking back, there were two kinds of dads: outdoor dads and indoor dads. Indoor dads were the ones you rarely saw outside with the kids or building/fixing/doing something. Those were the guys with "the belt". Outdoor dads tended to be the ones who taught, explained, led by example. I can't remember my dad ever spanking me... pissed off for sure, but no hitting. He also read to me and sang to me.

Why do I suspect that the indoor dads are still alive long after the outdoor dads have passed away?

Apache
03-14-2011, 12:37 PM
Thinking back, there were two kinds of dads: outdoor dads and indoor dads. Indoor dads were the ones you rarely saw outside with the kids or building/fixing/doing something. Those were the guys with "the belt". Outdoor dads tended to be the ones who taught, explained, led by example. I can't remember my dad ever spanking me... pissed off for sure, but no hitting. He also read to me and sang to me.

Why do I suspect that the indoor dads are still alive long after the outdoor dads have passed away?

FFS!

Calypso Jones
03-14-2011, 02:48 PM
My outdoor dad spanked me with a hair brush once until grannie and mom said STOP. I don't know what got into me. Little ones have lots of shorts and apparently i was having one. He told me to pick up something i threw on the floor and i went blank and don't remember anything until the two moms told him that that was enough.

THEN, from that point on, Gramma sent me outside to get her a walnut switch which she used on the back of my legs when i disobeyed or was naughty.

And wonders of wonders i never landed in jail..not even temporarily. AND i love all of them and would give anything, even my legs for a switching to have them back once again for just a bit.

FBIGuy
03-14-2011, 04:21 PM
I beat the hell out of my kids any time they act up or make to much noise and it never depresses me. They may hate me, but at least they do it quietly.

malloc
03-14-2011, 05:00 PM
I spank my kids, but i usually like to exhaust other options first. I wouldn't really consider myself depressed.

Recently my daughter was supposed to clean the kitchen when she came home from school. She spent the afternoon talking on the phone with her friends and watching T.V. When I got home and the kitchen wasn't cleaned I took every pot, pan & dish out of the cabinets, covered them with spray cheese, and put spray cheese and breakfast cereal all over the floors and counter tops. Then I told her to clean the kitchen. If she had refused at that point I would have contemplated spanking her, but I think she's too old for that anyway.

She took me pretty seriously the next time I told her to clean her room.

lacarnut
03-14-2011, 05:07 PM

Spare the rod; spoil the child. That is what is wrong with a lot of kids today. No father figure or just let the kids run wild and let them do what they want to.

Rockntractor
03-14-2011, 05:13 PM
I'm depressed, I need some kids to beat!:mad:

Calypso Jones
03-14-2011, 08:01 PM
I spanked my kids for even thinking about misbehaving.

MrsSmith
03-14-2011, 10:33 PM
I did spank my kids, with 5 of them it was definitely the quickest way to get my point across.

My oldest daughter doesn't spank her boys. She has high-energy boys, and has figured out that they hate being made to sit still or lay on their beds way more than they mind a couple swats...so she uses the most effective method. Both boys are pretty well behaved, so it works. :)

I have to say that if I'd ever spanked my dad, I would have been very depressed for a long, long time...and I'd have done it all standing up...

Bailey
03-15-2011, 06:44 AM
Like R Lee remy(sp)? Said I could teach more with one slap then an hour of yelling at you.

Bailey
03-15-2011, 06:47 AM

Now things make sense....

noonwitch
03-15-2011, 07:46 AM
My parents were spankers, although I really didn't get it very much. My sister would be labeled ADHD by today's standards. My mom hit her daily with a wooden spoon. She spanked me with her hand, but never was angry enough to use an implement. My dad spanked both of them, and even though I joked about him spanking me for using a beer as shampoo, I was just joking. He never hit or spanked me. He hit my sister with a belt once when she was being particularly bad. The wooden spoon lady was really angry with him for this, because for some reason, she thought it was worse to use a belt. Both methods left marks, because both were done in anger.

My sister could take a licking, though. She couldn't take a time out, and my mother was not patient enough to enforce one. But that's why my sister doesn't spank her brat.