PDA

View Full Version : Prospect of Gaddafi Victory Over Rebels Raises Concerns About Return to Terror, WMD

Gingersnap
03-16-2011, 09:34 AM
Prospect of Gaddafi Victory Over Rebels Raises Concerns About Return to Terror, WMD
Wednesday, March 16, 2011
By Patrick Goodenough

(CNSNews.com) – Amid warnings that time is running out for the anti-Gaddafi rebellion in Libya, the U.N. Security Council on Wednesday morning will begin debating a draft resolution authorizing steps that proponents hope may yet avert a rebel defeat.

Despite the growing urgency, French ambassador Gerard Araud told reporters he doubted the resolution would be put to a vote on Wednesday, when the council meets to consider the text paragraph-by-paragraph.

The body remains divided: France and Britain, along with non-permanent member Lebanon, are driving calls for a “no-fly” zone aimed at helping rebels and civilians against government air strike.

But permanent members China and Russia have raised objections, and the Obama administration has not publicly endorsed the option.

Libyan state television claimed Tuesday that government forces had taken “total control” of Ajdabiya, the last significant town on the Mediterranean coast before Benghazi, the center of the rebellion, about 100 miles away. Reports described an exodus of vehicles along the road from Ajdabiya to Benghazi.

If Muammar Gaddafi’s forces prevail, some analysts warn that an embittered regime may resume terror sponsorship and the pursuit of a non-conventional weapons capability, while stepping up human rights violations at home.

CNS (http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/prospect-gaddafi-victory-over-rebels-rai)

lacarnut
03-16-2011, 04:55 PM
The Rebels are getting their ass kicked, and it all over but the crying. A no fly zone would not do much good at this juncture. Government forces have better organization, better weapons and air power against a rag tag rebel outfit and military deserters.

If the Rebels thought Obama was going to help, they were surely misguided. All this turkey has ever done in political office is vote present and gives speeches. His resume shows zero knowledge/action in foreign affairs. All of the turmoil going on now is just a distraction cause the Magic Negro is more interested in playing golf and the NCAA basketball championships. He does not want to be bothered by Japan and Libya's problems.

Bailey
03-16-2011, 06:32 PM
The Rebels are getting their ass kicked, and it all over but the crying. A no fly zone would not do much good at this juncture. Government forces have better organization, better weapons and air power against a rag tag rebel outfit and military deserters.

If the Rebels thought Obama was going to help, they were surely misguided. All this turkey has ever done in political office is vote present and gives speeches. His resume shows zero knowledge/action in foreign affairs. All of the turmoil going on now is just a distraction cause the Magic Negro is more interested in playing golf and the NCAA basketball championships. He does not want to be bothered by Japan and Libya's problems.

I think the magic negro (PBOH) has done the right thing when it comes to Lybia, I am not for any Americans dying for rebels we know nothing about. Let the sand jockeys deal with their own problems. If Eroupe wants to deal with them let them take the lead for once.

Dan D. Doty
03-17-2011, 09:48 PM

The way I see it, the Rebels did have a chance, but they threw it away.

The Rebels grabbed and held the Urban areas when those areas did them no good; no food, no water, no electricity. They were in a fixed position which just made them targets; my guess is most of the Rebels were born and raised in the cities.

It the country side they could hve attacked supply lines, set traps for patrols, cut off water and food shipments, destroyed supply ports and airfields.

No, instead they let the government have the countryside, while they fixed themselves to one spot.

fettpett
03-17-2011, 10:28 PM
The way I see it, the Rebels did have a chance, but they threw it away.

The Rebels grabbed and held the Urban areas when those areas did them no good; no food, no water, no electricity. They were in a fixed position which just made them targets; my guess is most of the Rebels were born and raised in the cities.

It the country side they could hve attacked supply lines, set traps for patrols, cut off water and food shipments, destroyed supply ports and airfields.

No, instead they let the government have the countryside, while they fixed themselves to one spot.

and this is why most rebellions fail, very poor organization little preparation and lack of discipline, little to no strategic or tactical ability

djones520
03-17-2011, 11:00 PM
There is a lot going on right now, nothing I can talk about, but I would not count them out just yet. Against the ropes? Yes. Gonna win? Hard to say. Is the fight over? No.

djones520
03-17-2011, 11:10 PM
U.N. okays military action on Libya

(Reuters) - The United Nations authorised military action to curb Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi on Thursday, hours after he threatened to storm the rebel bastion of Benghazi overnight, showing "no mercy, no pity."

"We will come, zenga, zenga. House by house, room by room," he said in a radio address to the eastern city.

Al Jazeera television showed thousands of Benghazi residents in a central square celebrating the U.N. vote, waving anti-Gaddafi tricolour flags and chanting defiance of the man who has ruled for four decades. Fireworks burst over the city.

Gaddafi had warned that only those who lay down their arms would be spared vengeance to be exacted on 'rats and dogs'.

"It's over. The issue has been decided," Gaddafi said. "We are coming tonight...We will find you in your closets.

"We will have no mercy and no pity."

The U.N. Security Council passed a resolution endorsing a no-fly zone to halt government troops now around 100 km (60 miles) from Benghazi. It also authorised "all necessary measures" -- code for military action -- to protect civilians against Gaddafi's forces.

Looks like the Rebels just got some back up.

lacarnut
03-17-2011, 11:24 PM
There is a lot going on right now, nothing I can talk about, but I would not count them out just yet. Against the ropes? Yes. Gonna win? Hard to say. Is the fight over? No.

You know why the Europeans will not do one damn thing such as send planes to enforce a no fly zone? ...Oil which the EU heavily depends on. If we do not do it, it will not happen. Our chicken little President is not about to get involved. The Pentagon may be making plans but that is all it will amount to...plans and no action. Gaddafi has won so it's all over without military intervention. For all we know, the rebels could be worse so why stick our necks out. In the future, assassination or a well placed missile might be an option.

UN just passed a resolution. I betcha Gaddafi is shaking in his boots. Not.

djones520
03-17-2011, 11:26 PM
You know why the Europeans will not do one damn thing such as send planes to enforce a no fly zone? ...Oil which the EU heavily depends on. If we do not do it, it will not happen. Our chicken little President is not about to get involved. The Pentagon may be making plans but that is all it will amount to...plans and no action. Gaddafi has won so it's all over without military intervention. For all we know, the rebels could be worse so why stick our necks out. In the future, assassination or a well placed missile might be an option.

As I said above Lacar, I can't give any details, but there is more then just "plans" going on right now.

lacarnut
03-17-2011, 11:33 PM
As I said above Lacar, I can't give any details, but there is more then just "plans" going on right now.

I hope not. Let these sand monkey kill each-other. I do not want to lose 1 American Soldier for a bunch of ungrateful politicians who kick us in the ass after we save their country. Kuwait and Iraq come to mind.

Even if we were stupid enough to enforce a no fly zone around the rebels last stronghold, they would still be at a disadvantage because the government troops have better organization and weapons.

Rockntractor
03-17-2011, 11:33 PM
The French are coming the French are coming!:eek:

lacarnut
03-17-2011, 11:39 PM
The French are coming the French are coming!:eek:

Food for oil is on it's way. :eek:

Rockntractor
03-17-2011, 11:42 PM
Food for oil is on it's way. :eek:
I just love their garlic bread!:)

fettpett
03-18-2011, 08:12 AM
you do know that Lybia only produces like 2% of the worlds oil? but hell if the French want to play, let them