PDA

View Full Version : MGM Doesn’t Want RED DAWN Remake to Piss Off China?

Apocalypse
03-17-2011, 11:06 PM
From Collider

MGM Doesn’t Want RED DAWN Remake to Piss Off China; Will Piss Off North Korea Instead
by Matt Goldberg Posted:March 16th, 2011 at 8:48 am

The upcoming remake of the 1984 action flick Red Dawn had changed the lead communist villain from Russia to China. But MGM, the studio behind the remake, has concluded that China, commie as they may be, still offers the possibility of lucrative international box office. With this in mind, the studio is making it so that the country who invades the U.S. this time around is…North Korea. The LA Times reports:

The filmmakers now are digitally erasing Chinese flags and military symbols from “Red Dawn,” substituting dialogue and altering the film to depict much of the invading force as being from North Korea, an isolated country where American media companies have no dollars at stake.

Hit the jump for more on this silly change. The remake of Red Dawn stars Chris Hemsworth, Adrianne Palicki, Josh Hutcherson, and Jeffrey Dean Morgan.

http://collider.com/red-dawn-remake-china-north-korea/80834/

This was looking to be a good remake. Not now. How believable will it be that the US is invaded and nearly defeated by the N. Korean army? This will hurt the film at the theater.

djones520
03-17-2011, 11:07 PM
From Collider

MGM Doesn’t Want RED DAWN Remake to Piss Off China; Will Piss Off North Korea Instead

The upcoming remake of the 1984 action flick Red Dawn had changed the lead communist villain from Russia to China. But MGM, the studio behind the remake, has concluded that China, commie as they may be, still offers the possibility of lucrative international box office. With this in mind, the studio is making it so that the country who invades the U.S. this time around is…North Korea. The LA Times reports:

Hit the jump for more on this silly change. The remake of Red Dawn stars Chris Hemsworth, Adrianne Palicki, Josh Hutcherson, and Jeffrey Dean Morgan.

http://collider.com/red-dawn-remake-china-north-korea/80834/

This was looking to be a good remake. Not now. How believable will it be that the US is invaded and nearly defeated by the N. Korean army? This will hurt the film at the theater.

From what I've read, the premise is that the war is still with China, but the Chinese are using the N. Korean's as an invasion force.

Novaheart
03-17-2011, 11:20 PM
I don't understand why they need to remake the movie. What's wrong with the original?

djones520
03-17-2011, 11:22 PM
I don't understand why they need to remake the movie. What's wrong with the original?

Pay attention. Hollywood doesn't have original idea's anymore. They get by doing remakes now.

Apocalypse
03-17-2011, 11:38 PM

To add to the point djones520 just said, they are currently remaking The Incredible Mr. Limpet.
http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7h7h4IJNkEoA3CdXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByc2FtNTR pBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDNgRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkAw--/SIG=11orj7r0k/EXP=1300444481/**http%3a//www.imdb.com/title/tt1457604/

Hollywood is completely out of new ideas. This is more then evident when they are taking low rung movies and trying to remake them hoping they will be a money maker this time around.

FYI, Johnny Depp has been rumored to be in the lead to do this one.

djones520
03-17-2011, 11:39 PM
I did just watch Battle: Los Angeles and that movie rocked my fucking socks off. So I wouldn't say their scraping the bottom of the barrel on original idea's, but I am getting a bit sick of all the remakes.

CueSi
03-18-2011, 12:07 AM
I did just watch Battle: Los Angeles and that movie rocked my fucking socks off. So I wouldn't say their scraping the bottom of the barrel on original idea's, but I am getting a bit sick of all the remakes.

I want to see Battle:LA , but I'll prolly see it by myself next week.

But you notice that they wait till a liberal is in office to release these large Gung-Ho type films for the most part? I'm sure there may be exception ,but by and large - -

~QC

NJCardFan
03-18-2011, 02:14 AM
Think about it dude. Aliens invading the earth in order to use it's resources? Been there, done that...unless I dreampt Independence Day and War of the Worlds.

As for not pissing someone off, look no further than The Sum of All Fears. In the book, the terrorists were Islamic goons but the producers of the movie didn't want to hurt their feelings and made the terrorists Neo Nazi's...like they're a real threat. :rolleyes:

noonwitch
03-18-2011, 07:43 AM
They did a lot of filming around here for the Red Dawn remake. In southwest Detroit and in Pontiac, mostly.

fettpett
03-18-2011, 07:45 AM
I was so looking forward to the remake of Red Dawn, now....not so much, such BS

you know they jumped the shark when they make a remake for Arthur

Bailey
03-18-2011, 08:19 AM
They did a lot of filming around here for the Red Dawn remake. In southwest Detroit and in Pontiac, mostly.

Hey they dont have to build any sets of bombed out cities, its already provided. :D

Though I dont think the denizens of Detroit would fight a gorilla war against an invader as long as the invader had welfare and food stamps, oh and colt 45 malt liquor.

linda22003
03-18-2011, 08:32 AM
Hey they dont have to build any sets of bombed out cities, its already provided. :D

Though I dont think the denizens of Detroit would fight a gorilla war against an invader as long as the invader had welfare and food stamps, oh and colt 45 malt liquor.

Gorilla war? Despite the bad rep they got from "King Kong", gorillas are pretty peaceful animals. :)

http://www.namedevelopment.com/blog/archives/gorilla060606.png

Odysseus
03-18-2011, 09:10 AM
Pay attention. Hollywood doesn't have original idea's anymore. They get by doing remakes now.

When the new Karate Kid remake came out, I thought about writing up a gag press release about Jet Li signing on to do a remake of the remake.

The problem with Red Dawn today is that there is nobody who is going to invade us with conventional forces. A North Korean expeditionary force would get destroyed before it reached Hawaii. It's just not credible. The movie that they ought to make is Caliphate (http://www.amazon.com/Caliphate-Tom-Kratman/dp/1439133425/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300457379&sr=8-1), but that would take a lot more guts than anyone in Hollywood has.

NJCardFan
03-18-2011, 09:15 AM
Gorilla war? Despite the bad rep they got from "King Kong", gorillas are pretty peaceful animals. :)

http://www.namedevelopment.com/blog/archives/gorilla060606.png

This was the mistake of the Planet of the Apes series. The gorillas were the militaristic drones while the orangutans and chimpanzees were the leadership and intellectuals. Watch the original. Not one gorilla on the council or even a preacher or doctor. They were the muscle. Even in the horrible remake they portrayed them as such when in fact, the most batshit crazy primates out there are chimps. Chimps even resort to cannibalism as well as eating lower primates. Their behavior would be like us eating them so it would have made more sense if the gorillas were the docile ones in those movies.

As for the remake of Arthur, what makes it worse is that they put the most unfunny person in that role by using Russel Brand. I have never seen a more talentless hack in my life. To top it off, he's as moonbattish as one can get. But it's typical of Hollywood these days.

NJCardFan
03-18-2011, 09:18 AM
When the new Karate Kid remake came out, I thought about writing up a gag press release about Jet Li signing on to do a remake of the remake.

The problem with Red Dawn today is that there is nobody who is going to invade us with conventional forces. A North Korean expeditionary force would get destroyed before it reached Hawaii. It's just not credible. The movie that they ought to make is Caliphate (http://www.amazon.com/Caliphate-Tom-Kratman/dp/1439133425/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300457379&sr=8-1), but that would take a lot more guts than anyone in Hollywood has.

The premise of the invasion in the original Red Dawn was somewhat realistic. The Cubans came across the border while the Russians just parachuted in but IIRC they used commercial aircraft to enter our airspace. People should watch the original again because that movie was a lot better than people give it credit for.

Starbuck
03-18-2011, 09:20 AM

I had never heard of this book. So I looked it up:

..............Petra has learned of a magic place across the sea: America. But it will take more than magic to free Petra and Europe from their bonds; it will take guns, superior technology, and a reborn spirit of freedom.
Yeah. You're right. No courage, Hollywood; the elitist among you would shun such a book.:mad:

Bailey
03-18-2011, 09:24 AM
This was the mistake of the Planet of the Apes series. The gorillas were the militaristic drones while the orangutans and chimpanzees were the leadership and intellectuals. Watch the original. Not one gorilla on the council or even a preacher or doctor. They were the muscle. Even in the horrible remake they portrayed them as such when in fact, the most batshit crazy primates out there are chimps. Chimps even resort to cannibalism as well as eating lower primates. Their behavior would be like us eating them so it would have made more sense if the gorillas were the docile ones in those movies.

As for the remake of Arthur, what makes it worse is that they put the most unfunny person in that role by using Russel Brand. I have never seen a more talentless hack in my life. To top it off, he's as moonbattish as one can get. But it's typical of Hollywood these days.

I hear they are going to make another remake the setting is in Sanfran and somehow we make the apes smart and they turn against us or some such.

I cant believe they are remaking Arthur, I'm more pissed the Lindanumbers not being able to correct anyone grammar or spelling for a whole week. :D

linda22003
03-18-2011, 09:26 AM

Interesting analysis. Or, perhaps Bailey meant "guerrilla" and didn't know how to spell it. ;)

NJCardFan
03-18-2011, 09:31 AM

Yeah. You're right. No courage, Hollywood; the elitist among you would shun such a book.:mad:

If Hollywood made such a movie from that book, rest assured that the antagonists wouldn't be Islamic goons. It would probably be Christian fundamentalists.

Gingersnap
03-18-2011, 09:32 AM
I'm sure the Red Dawn remake will suck. There was just too much patriotism, self-sacrifice, and personal honor in the first one. To achieve Hollywood standards all the high school jocks would have to be gay and conflicted, the high school girls would have to be sleeping with the Korean soldiers for kicks, and the parents would all have to be selling each other's families out to the enemy in order to get preferential treatment. :mad:

(On a related note: Battleground: L.A. rocks!)

fettpett
03-18-2011, 09:36 AM
The premise of the invasion in the original Red Dawn was somewhat realistic. The Cubans came across the border while the Russians just parachuted in but IIRC they used commercial aircraft to enter our airspace. People should watch the original again because that movie was a lot better than people give it credit for.

they also came in through Mexico, but they only got to the Great Planes and are stopped before linking up with the Soviet Army coming down through Canada and Alaska. But the only way that this even becomes possible is the break up of NATO in the years prior to the start of the Movie

fettpett
03-18-2011, 09:40 AM
I hear they are going to make another remake the setting is in Sanfran and somehow we make the apes smart and they turn against us or some such.

I cant believe they are remaking Arthur, I'm more pissed the Lindanumbers not being able to correct anyone grammar or spelling for a whole week. :D

They are "rebooting the series" but starting with Rise of the Apes and explaining how Caesar came about, without the insanely dumb paradox that the original movies came up with

Full-Auto
03-18-2011, 10:27 AM
From Collider

Seriously. The country that can't feed itself, that has no navy to speak off, is going to project it's power across the ocean and land their starving forces on our shores and actually do something more than annoy the residents of California?

Please.

The Crips could wipe out the Norks inside of a week, assuming they could even get more than a company of men across the ocean to begin with.

What a joke.

I can't believe they're going to bastardize such a classic movie.

noonwitch
03-18-2011, 10:48 AM

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Some of the citizens of Detroit have better weapons than the cops.

fettpett
03-18-2011, 10:55 AM
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Some of the citizens of Detroit have better weapons than the cops.

and we have CCW here. I think the gangs and homeless people of Detroit could single handedly defeat the entire North Korean Army with very little loses:D:D

FBIGuy
03-18-2011, 11:14 AM
I was so looking forward to the remake of Red Dawn, now....not so much, such BS

you know they jumped the shark when they make a remake for Arthur

Arthur was one of the best comedies of all time. I will not be watching a remake.

I can't understand why they remake movies that were already good. Why don't they take some of the lousier movies that had potential to be really good and remake those. Start with some of those awful H. P. Lovecraft adaptations and make something really monumental out of them. I would really enjoy seeing 'The Call of Cthulhu' done right.

linda22003
03-18-2011, 11:33 AM

That's not really a coherent sentence; I thought you'd like to know that "guerrillas" have nothing to do with the animal kingdom. So you'd look..... smarter. :cool:

fettpett
03-18-2011, 11:45 AM
Arthur was one of the comedies of all time. I will not be watching a remake.

I can't understand why they remake movies that were already good. Why don't they take some of the lousier movies that had potential to be really good and remake those. Start with some of those awful H. P. Lovecraft adaptations and make something really monumental out of them. I would really enjoy seeing 'The Call of Cthulhu' done right.

I don't get it either....There as soo many good books that could be done right now with the level of CGI. The problem is that the idiot studios and directors try to put their own spin on a book and don't stay true to it.

BTW, WB is doing a remake of the Wizard of Oz using the script from the 1939 movie

Adam Wood
03-18-2011, 12:48 PM
They really should just stick to re-making Miracle on 34th Street every couple of years (and making it worse every time).

JB
03-18-2011, 01:19 PM
This was the mistake of the Planet of the Apes series. The gorillas were...<snip>Dude, as usual a lindanumbers post had nothing to do with the thread. She was slighting another poster that used "gorilla" instead of "guerilla".

As always, everyone knows what the poster meant in the context of the thread but numbers insists on disrupting threads for no real reason. Where's a mod when you need one?

Bailey
03-18-2011, 02:04 PM
Dude, as usual a lindanumbers post had nothing to do with the thread. She was slighting another poster that used "gorilla" instead of "guerilla".

As always, everyone knows what the poster meant in the context of the thread but numbers insists on disrupting threads for no real reason. Where's a mod when you need one?

I know lol

It's an ocd with her and I do pity her, I hope she can overcome it someday. :(:p:rolleyes:

Odysseus
03-18-2011, 04:57 PM

It should be required reading, along with Mark Steyn's America Alone: The End of the World as We Know It.

If Hollywood made such a movie from that book, rest assured that the antagonists wouldn't be Islamic goons. It would probably be Christian fundamentalists.
Not if the author had anything to say about it. Tom Kratman's a retired LTC.

Hmmm... hairy lunatics in San Francisco work to undermine humanity? Sounds like a documentary.

I don't get it either....There as soo many good books that could be done right now with the level of CGI. The problem is that the idiot studios and directors try to put their own spin on a book and don't stay true to it.

BTW, WB is doing a remake of the Wizard of Oz using the script from the 1939 movie

I had a gag about that a few years ago with some seriously screwed up casting for laughs.

Dorothy: Juliette Lewis (the house is actually a trailer that lands on the witch)
Wicked Witch of the West: Madonna
Good Witch of the North: RuPaul
Mayor of Munchkinland: Danny DeVito
Scarecrow: Christopher Walken
Tin Woodsman: Arnold Schwarzennegger
Cowardly Lion: Whoopi Goldberg
Wizard: Jack Nicholson

malloc
03-18-2011, 05:27 PM
and we have CCW here. I think the gangs and homeless people of Detroit could single handedly defeat the entire North Korean Army with very little loses:D:D

This is why I'm reluctant to see Battle LA. From the previews the military swoops in to deal with the threat while the public does what exactly? Modern California is now far from the "rifleman behind every blade of grass" the Japanese once feared. I still think I'm going to see it though, I'm just going to try not to think too much.

fettpett
03-18-2011, 05:52 PM
This is why I'm reluctant to see Battle LA. From the previews the military swoops in to deal with the threat while the public does what exactly? Modern California is now far from the "rifleman behind every blade of grass" the Japanese once feared. I still think I'm going to see it though, I'm just going to try not to think too much.

it's one of things that EVERY invasion movie fails to address and it irritates me....must just be a Hollywood thing, bastards don't want admit that the general public would stand up and kick some ass

Odysseus
03-18-2011, 06:37 PM
it's one of things that EVERY invasion movie fails to address and it irritates me....must just be a Hollywood thing, bastards don't want admit that the general public would stand up and kick some ass

That's why the original Red Dawn is so good. And, there's even a scene where the occupation force goes to the local gun shops to get the registry documents so that they can collect personal arms. Think that the studio will keep that in the remake?

fettpett
03-18-2011, 06:47 PM
That's why the original Red Dawn is so good. And, there's even a scene where the occupation force goes to the local gun shops to get the registry documents so that they can collect personal arms. Think that the studio will keep that in the remake?

doubt it...this isn't 1980 or an independent film this is a big budget Hollywood film, they've already proven they're willing to pander to make money which will screw them out of more money in the long run

Odysseus
03-18-2011, 07:06 PM
doubt it...this isn't 1980 or an independent film this is a big budget Hollywood film, they've already proven they're willing to pander to make money which will screw them out of more money in the long run

If that's the case, then the communists will be the good guys and the resistance will eventually lose to our glorious conquerors. :rolleyes:

nightflight
03-19-2011, 06:43 PM
LOL @ "gorilla war"!:D

fettpett
03-19-2011, 07:05 PM
If that's the case, then the communists will be the good guys and the resistance will eventually lose to our glorious conquerors. :rolleyes:

well they aren't willing to openly admit it and pander THAT much, they know they'll get their asses handed to them at the box office.

unless it was a period Alternate History piece (Pre-WW2)

NJCardFan
03-19-2011, 10:46 PM
LOL @ "gorilla war"!:D

This guy would lead the gorilla war:
http://www.kickingassandchewingbubblegum.com/images/86713-199593-gorilla-grodd_large_yosc.gif

djones520
03-20-2011, 05:09 AM
Dude, as usual a lindanumbers post had nothing to do with the thread. She was slighting another poster that used "gorilla" instead of "guerilla".

And this post has what to do with the topic?