PDA

View Full Version : Qaddafi Forces Shell City Despite Libyan Government Declaring Cease-Fire

txradioguy
03-18-2011, 12:26 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/images/root_images/031811_Libya2_20110318_130637.jpg

Residents in the Libyan city of Misrata say they are still being bombarded and shelled by pro-Qaddafi forces Friday despite Libya declaring an immediate halt to military action on anti-government forces.

"Qaddafi's forces are bombing the city with artillery shells and tanks. We now have 25 people dead at the hospital, including several little girls," Dr Khaled Abou Selha told Reuters.

A Libyan government spokesman says that no military operations were launched on Misrata or anywhere else, according to Reuters.

A Libyan rebel spokesman also dismissed the cease-fire announcement, claiming Qaddafi's forces are still attacking key cities in the east and the west.

Mustafa Gheriani, a spokesman for the national opposition council based in Benghazi, said there is "no cease-fire."

Gheriani said regime forces are shelling the eastern city of Ajdabiya and Misrata, the last rebel-held city in the western half of the country.

The opposition has expressed hope the U.N. resolution would help turn the tide in their favor after days of fierce fighting.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/03/18/libya-fm-declares-immediate-halt-military-action-anti-government-forces/

Odysseus
03-18-2011, 04:24 PM
The term in Islam for a false truce is a "Hudna". Mohammed pioneered the concept with his ten-year treaty with the Quraysh tribe in Mecca, which he violated within a few months of agreeing to it, and then he launched a full-scale offensive within two years of it.

Bailey
03-18-2011, 04:48 PM
I know this is a bit cold but I dont really give a shit about the rebels there.

I am willing to bet a few paychecks they aren't freedom loving fools, so why should we risk our fighting personal, besides if you want to overthrow a dictator you'd better finish him and not beg for help when your ass is getting kicked.

Odysseus
03-18-2011, 07:03 PM
I know this is a bit cold but I dont really give a shit about the rebels there.

I am willing to bet a few paychecks they aren't freedom loving fools, so why should we risk our fighting personal, besides if you want to overthrow a dictator you'd better finish him and not beg for help when your ass is getting kicked.

The Libyan rebels are allied with the Muslim Brotherhood and can be counted on to empower them in the event that they depose Qaddafi. Qadaffi has American blood on his hands. Any policy that we undertake should weaken both sides and eventually put Qaddafi's head in a noose.

djones520
03-18-2011, 09:48 PM
The Libyan rebels are allied with the Muslim Brotherhood and can be counted on to empower them in the event that they depose Qaddafi. Qadaffi has American blood on his hands. Any policy that we undertake should weaken both sides and eventually put Qaddafi's head in a noose.

Levelling the playing field by helping to neutralize Qaddafi's superior fire power will go along way to make sure they keep poking at each other for a while.