PDA

View Full Version : Fried Chicken!

Gingersnap
03-19-2011, 06:32 PM
Fried chicken is an American food icon. There are a thousand different ways of frying chicken but as we all know, the way your (fill in the blank) fried it is the only "true" way.

So how did she do it? What's your favorite fried chicken recipe/method? I'm going to fry some in a minute. Depending on the quality of the replies, I may disclose my own secret recipe. We'll see. :D

lacarnut
03-19-2011, 06:47 PM
I buy it already cooked. Frying any kind of food just makes too big a mess.

patriot45
03-19-2011, 07:06 PM
You probably cooked already but this is pretty good!
Nashville hot chicken (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/showthread.php?t=27908)

Bubba Dawg
03-19-2011, 07:22 PM
Cast iron skillett.

Cooking oil.

Medium high heat.

Breading or batter is a matter of taste.

The main thing. The pieces of chicken can't be too large. If they are, you can't really fry them properly.

The gargantuan breasts and thighs of a lot of supermarket chicken are really not the best when fried. You can cook them until they are "done" but if a piece of chicken is too large then it doesn't fry well.

JB
03-19-2011, 07:44 PM
I heard using corn flakes is authentic Southern fried chicken.

SarasotaRepub
03-19-2011, 07:44 PM
I'd KILL for some fried chicken right now...:(:D

Gingersnap
03-19-2011, 07:50 PM
The main thing. The pieces of chicken can't be too large. If they are, you can't really fry them properly.

The gargantuan breasts and thighs of a lot of supermarket chicken are really not the best when fried. You can cook them until they are "done" but if a piece of chicken is too large then it doesn't fry well.

You're right about that, my friend. If I'm frying factory chicken, I always cut the breasts in half. If you let those monsters fry long enough to cook through, you'll just end up with tough chicken.

megimoo
03-19-2011, 09:04 PM
Has anyone tried cooking fried chicken in a pressure cooker ?

How to Make Pressure Cooker "Fried" Chicken

Not truly fried in the truest sense, the following recipe makes a quick and tasty "fried" chicken dinner.

Ingredients
Chicken pieces
Flour
Salt and pepper
Vegetable oil

Steps
IMPORTANT: Read your pressure cooker manual before cooking this recipe.

Combine flour, salt and pepper in a zipper-style food storage bag.Cut up chicken, if needed.
Toss chicken pieces in seasoned flour mixture.Heat a small amount of vegetable oil in the pressure cooker.Brown chicken pieces.Remove browned chicken pieces to a plate.

Drain off excess fat.Add water. Place pressure cooker trivet in pan.Add chicken pieces.Secure pressure cooker lid onto pot.Engage the pressure regulator following the manual's directions.
Quickly bring up to 15 pounds pressure.Reduce heat to the point where the pressure cooker regulator is either rocking or the regulator is in the correct position showing pressurization.
Preheat broiler.Line a jelly roll baking pan with foil.Spray baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
Cook chicken 12 to 15 minutes in pressure cooker.Let the chicken cool naturally for 5 minutes.Release pressure, if required.Carefully remove pressure cooker lid.
Remove chicken pieces to prepared baking pan.Broil until crispy.

Gingersnap
03-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Dude! Pressure cookers can't be used for frying! The gasket will melt.

I know they make pressure fryers, though.

Bubba Dawg
03-19-2011, 09:47 PM

I bought some fried chicken in a supermarket deli once that they said was essentially pressure fried. It was delicious. The deli worker said the cooker was very expensive.

It was supposed to be lower in fat somehow, according to what the label said.

Rockntractor
03-19-2011, 09:52 PM
I bought some fried chicken in a supermarket deli once that they said was essentially pressure fried. It was delicious. The deli worker said the cooker was very expensive.

Fried chicken is all about fat!
Kentucky fried chicken is pressure fried.

Gingersnap
03-19-2011, 09:55 PM

I only know they make them. I'd guess the cooking time is less so possibly less oil would integrate into the chicken. I live on the wild side and fry chicken in lard so obviously this feature is not a big consideration for me. :D

Moo's recipe is a safe one but I'd hate for anybody to fill up a pressure cooker with oil and have at it in the traditional way.

Bubba Dawg
03-19-2011, 10:03 PM
I only know they make them. I'd guess the cooking time is less so possibly less oil would integrate into the chicken. I live on the wild side and fry chicken in lard so obviously this feature is not a big consideration for me. :D

Moo's recipe is a safe one but I'd hate for anybody to fill up a pressure cooker with oil and have at it in the traditional way.

Animal Fat Rulz.

Rockntractor
03-19-2011, 10:05 PM
The oil will ruin the rubber seal in a standard pressure cooker, I learned the hard way.

Gingersnap
03-19-2011, 10:09 PM
The oil will ruin the rubber seal in a standard pressure cooker, I learned the hard way.

I've never done it but my manual has a pretty strongly worded caution against it. I'm pretty sure they also covered this in 4-H.

Rockntractor
03-19-2011, 10:11 PM
I've never done it but my manual has a pretty strongly worded caution against it. I'm pretty sure they also covered this in 4-H.

They make them just for pressure frying and they are very expensive.

Bubba Dawg
03-19-2011, 10:12 PM

I didn't know that. I like their extra crispy.

I also like Bojangles or Popeyes.

Rockntractor
03-19-2011, 10:13 PM
I want one of these.
http://www.hammacher.com/Product/79504?cm_ven=HS&cm_cat=ProductSEM&cm_pla=AdWords&cm_ite=79504

Bubba Dawg
03-19-2011, 10:15 PM
I want one of these.
http://www.hammacher.com/Product/79504?cm_ven=HS&cm_cat=ProductSEM&cm_pla=AdWords&cm_ite=79504

I've never even heard os something like that. Interesting.

Rockntractor
03-19-2011, 10:18 PM
I've never even heard os something like that. Interesting.

I'm thinking smoked duck, tasty.

Bubba Dawg
03-19-2011, 10:20 PM
I'm thinking smoked duck, tasty.

num num num

SarasotaRepub
03-20-2011, 08:14 AM
Stop posting about chicken SLW won't let me have anymore!!!! :mad::mad::D

SaintLouieWoman
03-20-2011, 08:20 AM
Stop posting about chicken SLW won't let me have anymore!!!! :mad::mad::D

Don't be silly, my dear. We have it often----out on the grill, baked, oven fried. :D

megimoo
03-20-2011, 08:30 AM

I know they make pressure fryers, though.You fry the chicken in the bottom of the pressure cooker and when it's browner pour off the oil and put in the trivet and add water and finish steam cooking the chicken .

megimoo
03-20-2011, 08:38 AM
Fried chicken is an American food icon. There are a thousand different ways of frying chicken but as we all know, the way your (fill in the blank) fried it is the only "true" way.

So how did she do it? What's your favorite fried chicken recipe/method? I'm going to fry some in a minute. Depending on the quality of the replies, I may disclose my own secret recipe. We'll see. :D
http://www.kentuckyfriedcruelty.com/f-kfc_fried_videos.asp?c=kfcvg08&gclid=CNqcjdGh3acCFYh_5Qod-2NM_g

obx
03-20-2011, 09:14 AM
I like real fried chicken but I suck at making it. I will place instant mashed potato flakes mixed with a little seafood breader in a plastic bag and shake the chicken in it. Then I bake the chicken in the oven. Not as good as fried, but still very good.Also lower in fat. You can pop the joint in the thigh and it will cook much faster. I would kill for some of my mother's fried chicken right now.

SaintLouieWoman
03-20-2011, 11:20 AM
I like real fried chicken but I suck at making it. I will place instant mashed potato flakes mixed with a little seafood breader in a plastic bag and shake the chicken in it. Then I bake the chicken in the oven. Not as good as fried, but still very good.Also lower in fat. You can pop the joint in the thigh and it will cook much faster. I would kill for some of my mother's fried chicken right now.

My mom used to dip the chicken in a bit of flour, then pan fry it.

Last night I dipped some tilapia fish into a bit of egg beaten with a fork, then into some pannko bread crumbs (get in a round little canister at the store). I usually top it with a bit of parmesan cheese. It gets nice and flaky. I'm going to try it with chicken, too, but might add a bit of flour to the crumbs and see if it makes a difference.

RobJohnson
03-20-2011, 02:59 PM

Pressure fryers work great...this is what made "Henny Penny" chicken famous!

I have used them....I have a feeling I have cleaned, breaded & cooked more chicken then everyone in this thread combined.

RobJohnson
03-20-2011, 03:01 PM

"Zero trans fat oil" but it's still oil...

RobJohnson
03-20-2011, 03:05 PM
They make them just for pressure frying and they are very expensive.

Back in the 80's they used to sell a small home version of a pressure fryer...

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/7853/50c73blc3.jpg

Scroll down on this forum to read more:

http://kfc.forumup.co.uk/about279-kfc.html