PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Gustav!

SarasotaRepub
08-30-2008, 10:23 AM
OK, lets try this again.

And Eyelids, if you try and turn this thread into a personal attack flame fest
the Mods will delete your posts faster than a wide screen TV would last in
a New Orleans Electronics store after a CAT 5.

Gustav is well on it's way to being a CAT 5 I think. Upper level winds are
favorable and there isn't a lot of shear so this puppy will probably continue
to grow!

It's a CAT 3 now with winds of 121mph and a nicely formed eye with good outflow
in all directions.

http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/at200807_sat_2.jpg

It has a solid core of heavy T-Storms and it has the most important thing a hurricane needs
to grow, lots of really warm water, in the 90's in places, which is like jet fuel to a storm
like this.

This one is gonna be interesting! I know the Weather Channel already has Jeff Morrow down
there and they'll probably send Cantori and/or one of the WC babes down also!! Here's
the 5 day tracker.

http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/at200807_5day.gif

Hey Nagin, better get your people ready to boogy early this time! If you screw this one
up they're gonna feed you to the gators. :D

SarasotaRepub
08-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Winds are now up to 125 mph.

LibraryLady
08-30-2008, 11:05 AM
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/dtharman/Global%20Gore/blown_away2.jpg

Shannon
08-30-2008, 11:52 AM
I always feel guilty that I'm thankful when they don't come here. I hope everyone stays safe.

Theo
08-30-2008, 01:00 PM
Hello my Florida & Louisiana Friends that are about to get hit yet again, you guys are all in my prayers...

Besides Prayers, I want to mention some observations I have after I worked at a three digit Government Agency, for over two years (1 as a Supervisor) (hell no! NOT FEMA!)

1. if you bug out and evacuate, Please Take ALL Insurance, Home Ownership, Mortgage Docs & other documents you will need with you if you believe your home/business is going to be damaged & destroyed, (water gets in EVERYTHING, I have seen homes that had 6" of water, where the water migrated 6' up the walls,insulation, sheetrock and anywhere it can migrate) (windows blown out, while driving rain for 6 hours fills up the house!) (Insurance & Mortgage companies, will replace the paperwork, BUT it would be awhile! (you are # 386,763 & your request will be handled... yada,yada:(

2. Insurance Companies LOVE to get your premiums on time, do not expect them "to be there for you" in a disaster event, they are concerned with: 1. getting out of paying you anything "ummmmm yes, Mr. Jones, we agree you had water damage, yet you have no flood insurance, we will only cover the WIND damages to your home/business, the fact that the WIND broke the windows, and tore your roof off, is NOT covered for Water damages, that would be a flood policy, & other similar Bullshit)

2. paying as little as possible, on your claim, (they love to get paid, and HATE to payout)

3. Insurance Companies & Mortgage Companies love to lay around in bed together, the Mortgage company may DEMAND that you pay down/off your mortgage, with your Insurance recovery funds! (if youa re willing to give $150,000 for a pile of broken twisted 2x4's and broken windows, please PM me, I have lots of scrap wood in my construction yard!) think carefully before you do this, how are you going to rebuild/repair if you give all your Insurance money to payoff a home that is now damaged & basically worthless AND has no/little loan value???!!!

4. get an attorney, if the amount of money is substantial, and you believe it is the only way (best way is to be a letter writing, bug up their ass on a daily basis, squeaky wheels GET the grease with Insurance/Mortgage companies (Government Agencies too!;) or join a class action suit, Insurance & Mortgage Companies are not your friend, they do not want a 'relationship' with you, they want to get their money, they want it on time, and you are a number to them..

The reason I posted this is because I have almost been in tears talking to disaster victims, who have lost everything, being victimized BOHICA again by these companies (I am a 6'-2" strapping Texas Redneck Construction Hand, So There!:p) discussing people's cases, and agreeing that the only option now, is a huge loan increase, on their Govt Backed Loan) with them following a natural disaster, and seeing up close & personal the sham that is Insurance, & Mortgage Documents that have you by the shorthairs, Fight Them! do NOT give in, or up to these companies/cretins, they put the screws to the people that are the backbone of the disaster damaged area in question..

Rant Over..:D

SarasotaRepub
08-30-2008, 01:27 PM
Here's another cool pick of both storms out there at present.

http://sirocco.accuweather.com/sat_mosaic_640x480_public/ei/isecar.jpg

SarasotaRepub
08-30-2008, 01:47 PM
I just saw on CNN that Gustav has gone CAT4. Winds near 145 mph. (http://cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com/)

Eyelids
08-30-2008, 02:47 PM
This thing is ugly.

Katiebug
08-30-2008, 02:48 PM
My brother lives on Galveston Island, about 300 yards from the ocean. A ground floor apartment, to boot! :eek:

He is in the Coast Guard and is fully expecting that if Gustav causes problems, they will have a huge job to do over the upcoming days and weeks.

His unit is evacuating inland, probably tomorrow. They'll ride out the storm at Fort Hood, and then deploy immediately to wherever they're needed. After Katrina his unit was deployed for several months in New Orleans. The helicopters are headed inland, the small boat station is headed inland, and the cutters have already headed out to sea (they're safer out there than at the dock or in shallow water).

He's sure that if the storm surge goes over the seawall, his apartment will be flooded. He's about 1.5 ft over sea level and is close to the water. Add to that the fact that he's single and may be gone for weeks/months, and it's going to be a real mess to deal with when he gets back.

His priorities are in order - his laptop, digital camera, and his personal gun collection are all going with him, along with his renter's and car insurance policies! :D He's hitting Walmart for a supply of snacks - he's not eating MREs if he doesn't have to.

Phillygirl
08-30-2008, 02:49 PM
I was going to be in the Caribbean this week! :eek:

LibraryLady
08-30-2008, 02:52 PM
Every hotel for miles is full. I heard they are sending people to Little Rock.

lacarnut
08-30-2008, 03:05 PM
My 98 year old dad fell and broke his hip yesterday. He is slated for surgery this pm and will be in the hospital for the next couple of weeks. His vital signs are great so I am not concerned about the operation. But, talk about bad timing; we are only 70 miles from New Orleans. The hospital has generators and they will not lose power. It feels like is 100 plus degrees today. I will be spending a great deal of time in the hospital the next few days along with my brother and the sitter. Once again, we will have thousands of New Orleans residents invade Baton Rouge. Traffic will be a nightmare.

LibraryLady
08-30-2008, 03:12 PM
Prayers for you both. I will certainly be thinking of you through this storm and the surgery.

SarasotaRepub
08-30-2008, 03:26 PM
Same here lacarnut!

Here's some interesting stuff on hurricane's and how they react to deep warm water. Duh. :rolleyes::D

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20080830/ARTICLE/808300344/2055/NEWS&title=Hunting_for_heat_across_the_Gulf

This is the web site the above piece mentions at the end.

http://isotherm.rsmas.miami.edu/heat/gustav.php

lacarnut
08-30-2008, 03:49 PM
Prayers for you both. I will certainly be thinking of you through this storm and the surgery.

Thanks, what is truly ironic is that my dad's first name is Gustave. More than one employee at the hospital has noted that.

SarasotaRepub
08-30-2008, 03:54 PM
Beebs & Eyelids, this is a thread on the storm. If you want to argue on living in a hurricane prone area, start your own thread please.

JB
08-30-2008, 03:57 PM
Beebs & Eyelids, this is a thread on the storm. If you want to argue on living in a hurricane prone area, start your own thread please.Hey man, you opened the door in the OP:
Hey Nagin, better get your people ready to boogy early this time! If you screw this one
up they're gonna feed you to the gators. :D

SarasotaRepub
08-30-2008, 04:01 PM
Hey man, you opened the door in the OP::D

Shadup! :D I moved the posts to Beebs thread.

JB
08-30-2008, 04:03 PM
Shadup! :D I moved the posts to Beebs thread.Now it's just a boring thread about wind and rain.

Wind and rain is bad m'kay.

Back on topic: Looks to be a Cat 5 tomorrow.

OwlMBA
08-30-2008, 04:04 PM
Shadup! :D I moved the posts to Beebs thread.

Thanks. You are a gentleman and a scholar. :D

SarasotaRepub
08-30-2008, 04:15 PM
Now it's just a boring thread about wind and rain.

Wind and rain is bad m'kay.

That's fine, I wanted this to just be about the storm. The other two...they'll probably be in the DOME before Gustav gets into the Gulf. :p

SarasotaRepub
08-30-2008, 04:17 PM

Maybe sooner. :eek:

OwlMBA
08-30-2008, 04:20 PM
Maybe sooner. :eek:

It is looking that way. The thing I just read puts that sucker at Cat-5 reeeeaaallly soon. And that spells havoc regardless of where it goes. Serious, deadly, havoc.

SarasotaRepub
08-30-2008, 04:29 PM
It is looking that way. The thing I just read puts that sucker at Cat-5 reeeeaaallly soon. And that spells havoc regardless of where it goes. Serious, deadly, havoc.

Yeah, the west end of Cuba isn't going to slow it down much. Hopefully it'll run out of really hot water before it makes landfall. Or it'll get worse, who the hell knows with these things...

OwlMBA
08-30-2008, 04:37 PM
Yeah, the west end of Cuba isn't going to slow it down much. Hopefully it'll run out of really hot water before it makes landfall. Or it'll get worse, who the hell knows with these things...

Well the gulf is reaaaaaaaaaaally warm right about now....

SarasotaRepub
08-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Look at this, it's little wonder the storm is exploding in power.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1052&tstamp=200808

Go down a bit to the water temp figure. Good news is it should go over cooler
waters before landfall.

SarasotaRepub
08-30-2008, 05:11 PM
Winds are now 150 mph!

OwlMBA
08-30-2008, 05:25 PM
Look at this, it's little wonder the storm is exploding in power.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1052&tstamp=200808

Go down a bit to the water temp figure. Good news is it should go over cooler
waters before landfall.

Yea, that is crazy.

FlaGator
08-30-2008, 05:29 PM
They are now suggesting on the weather channel that it looks like its going to make land fall far enough west of New Orleans as to not cause a lot of problems there. Then again it is a couple of days away and as Fay showed them, you can expect anything to happen as predicted.

LibraryLady
08-30-2008, 05:55 PM
(I hope this isn't too political)

They are talking about postponing the convention; my friends (delegates) went up several days ago - what a mess that will be to try and rebook.

Elspeth
08-30-2008, 07:41 PM
(I hope this isn't too political)

They are talking about postponing the convention; my friends (delegates) went up several days ago - what a mess that will be to try and rebook.

It might be the best thing. Gustav (and the one behind it) look awful.

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/browsh.html

FlaGator
08-30-2008, 07:53 PM
It might be the best thing. Gustav (and the one behind it) look awful.

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/browsh.html

It would sure knock the wind out of the dem's sails that's for sure. After all their wishing for Gustav to hit New Orleans I decided that maybe the should wish for something else. If it did hit NO and the government responded in outstanding fashion it would make the current republican administration look good and people going to the polls in November would remember it.

OwlMBA
08-30-2008, 09:30 PM
One thing is guaranteed out of this hurricane...

We get to see crap like this 24x7....

http://www.thespoof.com/sitepics/thespoof/resize_137718_Hurricane_Reporter.jpg

http://www.miamibeach411.com/ee/images/uploads/hurricane-reporter.jpg

Idiotic reporters, standing outside, looking for the biggest puddle to wade through in their rubber boots, trying to make everything seem 100 times worse than it is.

Remember the "hundreds of dead" inside the Superdome that was on every news channel?

LibraryLady
08-30-2008, 09:57 PM
School is canceled here next week. Buses used for evacuation and schools may be the shelters.

SaintLouieWoman
08-30-2008, 10:04 PM
My 98 year old dad fell and broke his hip yesterday. He is slated for surgery this pm and will be in the hospital for the next couple of weeks. His vital signs are great so I am not concerned about the operation. But, talk about bad timing; we are only 70 miles from New Orleans. The hospital has generators and they will not lose power. It feels like is 100 plus degrees today. I will be spending a great deal of time in the hospital the next few days along with my brother and the sitter. Once again, we will have thousands of New Orleans residents invade Baton Rouge. Traffic will be a nightmare.
Lacarnut, prayers are going out to you and your dad. Hope that you all stay safe and that the surgery is successful. Your dad is really a fighter. Hope he wins this round, too.

lacarnut
08-31-2008, 12:15 AM
Lacarnut, prayers are going out to you and your dad. Hope that you all stay safe and that the surgery is successful. Your dad is really a fighter. Hope he wins this round, too.

Thanks, he came thru the surgery just fine. Getting him on the bedpan with a broken hip was a challenge though. The are giving him morphine thru a timed pain pack. Never seen anything like it. The traffic was bad tonight with a lot of traffic coming from N.O. It is going to get worse before it gets better.

SarasotaRepub
08-31-2008, 09:26 AM
Yay! Down to 120 mph for now. But the cloud tops around the center are really
starting to pop again, it's probably gonna ramp up again...

Elspeth
08-31-2008, 03:23 PM
Is it true that the GOP is making their Convention a telethon for Gustav?

LibraryLady
08-31-2008, 03:29 PM
Not sure about that but McCain has arranged for a charter plane to return coastal delegates if they need to come home. Many are staying in Minn/St. Paul. One hotel is as good as another!:)

Elspeth
08-31-2008, 04:22 PM
http://www.wwltv.com/topstories/stories/wwl08310nagintrailer.2e661707.html

Nagin: FEMA trailers could become projectiles

Michael Luke / Eyewitness News

Once more Mayor Nagin delivered a blunt message to the citizens of New Orleans, saying that the city remains in the path of Hurricane Gustav, pleading with residents to leave the city.

“Nothing has changed as far as we can tell from the direction of the storm,” said Nagin, who was flanked by members of the City Council and his staff at a press conference at City Hall.

“It is a Cat-3 right now – a Catergory-3 – but everyone that we have talked to on the latest updates still say that this storm is going to be extremely powerful as a Category-4 storm with winds a 150 mph, sometimes gusting much higher than that.”

The mayor found some solace in that Gustav was moving faster, which would make it possibly pass the city faster and hopefully causing less damage. “It is not much better, but a little better,” he said. Because New Orleans is on the east side of the Gustav, often where winds are the strongest, Nagin said that tornadoes could begin to hit the area late Sunday and early Monday.

A dusk-to-dawn curfew will begin Sunday at sundown, Nagin said. He had particularly harsh words for looters. “Looters will go directly to jail,” he said, adding, perhaps for effect, that they would go directly to Angola Prison.

For those thinking of staying Nagin warned that FEMA trailers leftover from Katrina, which are only rated for winds of 35-40 mph, could become projectiles. “When this storm hits, those trailers will move around quite a bit. As a matter of fact, most of them will become projectiles and start to fly around the city.”

more at link

Sonnabend
08-31-2008, 07:05 PM
For those thinking of staying Nagin warned that FEMA trailers leftover from Katrina, which are only rated for winds of 35-40 mph, could become projectiles. “When this storm hits, those trailers will move around quite a bit. As a matter of fact, most of them will become projectiles and start to fly around the city.”

..if there isn't anyone living in them Mr Mayor, MOVE THEM. Put them somewhere where they wont become projectiles. Or secure them, or get men and tip them over then tie them down

MY GOD this man is an imbecile :eek:

Elspeth
08-31-2008, 07:37 PM
..if there isn't anyone living in them Mr Mayor, MOVE THEM. Put them somewhere where they wont become projectiles. Or secure them, or get men and tip them over then tie them down

MY GOD this man is an imbecile :eek:

There may be too many of them to move. People are still living in those goddamned things. FEMA should have just given people vouchers for apartment rental and moved them out. It would have been cheaper than moving in all those goddamned trailers, setting them up, and, now, having to deal with them flying into buildings and people.

What a mess, eh?:mad:

Sonnabend
08-31-2008, 07:46 PM
People are still living in those goddamned things.

Burt all that money and resources...billions poured in....and they are still in trailers...

After HOW many years??? :mad::mad:

LibraryLady
08-31-2008, 08:03 PM
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/dtharman/cats/funny-pictures-fema-takes-cats-trai.jpg

Elspeth
08-31-2008, 10:16 PM
Burt all that money and resources...billions poured in....and they are still in trailers...

After HOW many years??? :mad::mad:

The devastation was really awful. People lost their homes and the red tape was also not helpful. (You can imagine the fights with insurance companies and with city officials.) Reconstruction takes time. Under the best circumstances, rebuilding homes can take a couple of years. Here in San Diego, there were homes burned during our 2003 fires that had just been rebuilt in time for the 2007 fires. And that was in a nice neighborhood (Scripps-Poway) where incomes run in the high 5 and low 6 figures and which is more business friendly (San Diego is very Republican and they don't like city interference.)

NOLA had lots of poor and working class who did not have high salaries or the immediate money to rebuild. On top of that, they had to deal with a city that kept putting them on hold (there are some awful stories about this) and red tape from both local and national sources. On top of that, there were SO many with so much to rebuild. Some folks got stuck in the FEMA trailers, waiting for the city to ok stuff.

Many folks were able to repair damage if there was a structure still standing, but if you didn't have a structure, you had to get permits and things.

SarasotaRepub
08-31-2008, 10:17 PM
Though I was at the McCain Rally with my wife today I heard that lacarnut's area of
LA is supposed to get smacked by Gustav. This is also where ASDF got deployed.

Here's hoping things aren't too bad.

LibraryLady
08-31-2008, 10:18 PM
Many, many NOLA residents were renters. Houses were destroyed, landlords didn't want to rebuild and so a free trailer satisfied them for a while.

Before the storm, more than half of the city’s population rented housing.

Elspeth
08-31-2008, 10:38 PM
Many, many NOLA residents were renters. Houses were destroyed, landlords didn't want to rebuild and so a free trailer satisfied them for a while.

I have a feeling that we are going to see more of this. I know that New Orleaneans are legendary for their love of their city, but I think we are going to see more permanent moves away from the city this time.

Goldwater
08-31-2008, 10:49 PM
I have a feeling that we are going to see more of this. I know that New Orleaneans are legendary for their love of their city, but I think we are going to see more permanent moves away from the city this time.

Probably for the best, should do that thing on the Simpsons and move the whole city up a few hundred miles. :D

PoliCon
08-31-2008, 10:53 PM
if we dump billions into that crap hole NOLA again I'm really going to be pissed. I'm so sick of people who live in the center of a disaster zone WHINING about disasters when they happen. MOVE DAMN IT! And for pete's sakes - NOLA is sinking into the gulf as it is. If they want to keep it - let THEM spend their own money themselves.

LibraryLady
08-31-2008, 10:55 PM
I really doubt people will donate again.

PoliCon
08-31-2008, 10:57 PM
donations are one thing - it's when the gov3ernment starts pooring money that is not THEIRS into crap like this that I get really upset. We have people here locally that live on the flood plains of one of the many local creeks and they whine and want the government to pay for everything every time they get flooded. MOVE DAMN IT!

LibraryLady
09-01-2008, 12:03 AM
Blanco was on the news a few minutes ago lying through her teeth

PoliCon
09-01-2008, 02:56 AM
Blanco was on the news a few minutes ago lying through her teeth

I hear her on geraldo taking credit for making all of the plans now being implemented.

SarasotaRepub
09-01-2008, 10:56 AM
They were just reporting on Fox News they think there is a barge loose in the Industrial Canal.

If true I'm sure it was Lord Rove and BU$HCO cutting the lines...:rolleyes:

SaintLouieWoman
09-01-2008, 10:58 AM
They were just reporting on Fox News they think there is a barge loose in the Industrial Canal.

If true I'm sure it was Lord Rove and BU$HCO cutting the lines...:rolleyes:

It probably was Blanco. She doesn't want the new gov to look too good.

SarasotaRepub
09-01-2008, 11:02 AM
That barge breaking free is confirmed now according to NO Emerg. Personnel.

SarasotaRepub
09-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Amazing pics on Fox of the upper 9th levee's holding back the water!!!

And the Coasties secured one of the barges! Yay!

SarasotaRepub
09-01-2008, 12:12 PM
Now Fox has Geraldo standing right next to the levee. :rolleyes:

I don't want to see NO flood again but to see Geraldo washed away live...:D

Shannon
09-01-2008, 12:18 PM
I turned on Fox this morning, saw Shep and couldn't help laughing. I knew Geraldo wasn't far behind.

SR, I don't even need to watch the coverage with you around!:D

Katiebug
09-01-2008, 01:02 PM
The Coasties are ready to go. My brother fully expects to be deployed somewhere (likely New Orleans) by late today or tomorrow.

Our mother is upset. :( I have to keep reminding her that this is his job, and that they know what they're doing.