PDA

View Full Version : mugshots by race

Novaheart
03-20-2011, 02:15 PM
For my own amusement I thought I would go through the mug shots and see how it breaks down by ethnicity. It turned out interesting, because on a passing glance one could easily think that the arrests are disproportionately to a considerable degree black and Latino.

So here's what I got. I was using the photo and the surname and if I couldn't tell what someone was, then I listed him ( or her) as whatever the arrest report identified him as.

Total 227 people arrested over the four counties included.

140 or 61% I identified as "white" meaning caucasian and not noticeably in a sub category.

22 white Latinos
2 black Latinos
1 dark mestizo Latino

11% Latino My methodology is different from the US Census because I am breaking the Latinos out by race, so you can add the white Latinos to the "white only" category for a Caucasian figure.

71% of people arrested were Caucasian, including a American of Aryan Indian ancestry and an Arab.

59 or 26% of those arrested were black.

There are no race stats for the four county region, but Tampa is 26% black, 62% white, and 19% "hispanic" according to the US Census.

So the arrests actually conform pretty well to representation, and because there are a dozen police departments involved, it can't rationally be suspected of being manipulated.

I do this occasionally because local police forces around here are often accused of discrimination.

fettpett
03-20-2011, 08:33 PM
not really surprising. Though I do wonder what the % of each population is represented in those arrest records

CaughtintheMiddle1990
03-21-2011, 04:59 AM
Why is the far left obsessed with race?
Who gives a damn about the ethnic breakdown of criminals, other than just to be a shit stirrer?

Odysseus
03-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Who gives a damn about the ethnic breakdown of criminals, other than just to be a shit stirrer?

There are legitimate reasons. For one thing, there used to be substantial discrimination in the US. By honestly tracking the numbers, we can ensure that this does not repeat. Second, demographic trends will show up in certain statistics, such as arrest records. An increase in Latino arrests that corresponds with illegal immigration gives the authorities an idea of where to look for illegals for immigration enforcement (if such a thing were of value to our DOJ, which, of course, it isn't). It also provides data which can be used to target crime prevention efforts.

Novaheart
03-21-2011, 01:13 PM

In addition to what Ody said, a lot of social and political friction is generated by perceptions people have, as well as perceptions which are promoted by politically motivated people. Taking a look at some numbers for yourself is useful.