PDA

View Full Version : Trans Rights Group Announces Lawsuit Over Refusal to "Correct" Birth Certificates

PoliCon
03-21-2011, 07:00 PM
Filed by: Dr. Jillian T. Weiss
March 21, 2011 5:00 PM
Print

The Transgender Legal Defense & Education Fund (TLDEF) will hold a press conference on Tuesday, March 22, at the New York State Supreme Court in lower Manhattan to announce the filing of a lawsuit against the City of New York and the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene challenging the city's practice of requiring transgender people to undergo surgery before it will issue them birth certificates with corrected sex designations.

This is the first lawsuit to challenge a surgical requirement for correcting whether someone is classified as "male" or "female" on a birth certificate. It alleges that the city's surgical requirement is arbitrary, and that it subjects transgender people to harassment and discrimination in violation of the New York City Human Rights Law.

More details and comments after the jump.

WHAT: Press Conference

WHEN: Tuesday, March 22, 11:00 am

WHERE: Foley Square, Manhattan (across the street from the New York County Supreme Court at 60 Centre Street)

WHO: Plaintiffs Sam Berkley, Joann Prinzivalli, and Patricia Harrington; Noah Lewis, Staff Attorney at the Transgender Legal Defense & Education Fund.

WHY: The vast majority of transgender people have not undergone the extensive surgical procedures demanded by the City before it will change the sex designation on birth certificates. Most cannot afford these procedures, and for many, they are medically inappropriate. "A birth certificate is a fundamental form of identification," said Noah Lewis, staff attorney at the Transgender Legal Defense & Education Fund, which is representing the plaintiffs. "By refusing to give transgender people accurate birth certificates that reflect who they are, the city subjects transgender people to harassment and discrimination in areas like employment where ID is essential to proving eligibility to work." "Proper ID is essential for full participation in society," added Mr. Lewis. "As long as the city discriminates against transgender people by denying them accurate ID, transgender people will continue to be pushed to the margins of society."

The above press release from TLDEF is interesting not only because of the novelty of the grounds for the lawsuit, but also because it follows on an effort a few years ago to address this via a commission of experts organized by the city. The experts decided, based on the available scientific evidence, to permit the change in birth certificates prior to any surgery. The City was set to put this procedure into place.

When the press got hold of this, and started yammering about "men in dresses", however, the pressure came down on the New York City Board of Health, which unanimously voted to reject the recommendations of their own experts, and the whole report was put in the garbage can.

I think this is one more instance of the maxim that human rights should never be put up for a vote. Don't you agree?
http://www.bilerico.com/2011/03/trans_rights_group_announces_lawsuit_over_refusal. php#moreThese people are fucking crazy. CORRECT MY ASS. You want to CHANGE them not correct them. :rolleyes: Correcting is fixing an error and reality is - when you were born and even now you're a man. You're DNA says your a man. I don't give a shit if you went and got your plumbing changed - you're still a man. XY=MAN. If your brain is telling you otherwise - you're brain needs to be CORRECTED not your birth certificate.:rolleyes:

Wei Wu Wei
03-21-2011, 07:03 PM
Identity politics is bankrupt. Multiculturalism should not be an end to itself.

Boohoo some upper middle class person with enough money to get full scale cosmetic surgery sure is suffering. :rolleyes:

also men who try to become women are doing a disservice to feminism. femininity and womanhood is not something you can just get by cutting off your dick, that implies that women are just men minus the important part.

Rockntractor
03-21-2011, 07:14 PM
also men who try to become women are doing a disservice to feminism. femininity and womanhood is not something you can just get by cutting off your dick, that implies that women are just men minus the important part.

That is so sad, the operation didn't meet your expectations.:(

JB
03-21-2011, 07:20 PM
for the love of pete.

born with johnson = man.
born without = woman.

Must we complicate even the simplest of things.

Jumpy
03-21-2011, 07:47 PM
for the love of pete.

born with johnson = man.
born without = woman.

You know that some are born with parts of both. Maybe they arent part of the "transgender community" though.

Apocalypse
03-21-2011, 09:00 PM
Ah hell, these clown groups keep trying to sue for various reasons. Few years ago it was over bathrooms. Just because they still had the bits and pieces, they were not allowed to use a womans restroom and sued for it.

Got one of these clowns down in the QCA. He will go around to Wal-mart, K Mart, Target and so on, grab womans clothing, then go and expect to use the womans dressing rooms to try them on. When the store owners explain he must use the mens, he throws a hissy and runs down to the local TV stations expecting them to air the "Discrimination" he experienced at those stores.

megimoo
03-21-2011, 09:07 PM
That is so sad, your operation didn't meet your expectations.:(Fixed it !

Gingersnap
03-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Identity politics is bankrupt. Multiculturalism should not be an end to itself.

Boohoo some upper middle class person with enough money to get full scale cosmetic surgery sure is suffering. :rolleyes:

No kidding. It's bad enough that a certain section of the gay male population acts stereotypically effeminate when they should just be guys banging other guys. Men who superficially become surgical females and men who simply assume female personas (and vice versa) are are no better than whites in blackface. It's the same thing.

I have very masculine mind. I think that's great but it doesn't make me want to be a fake guy.

If it's not okay to pretend to be black, why is it okay to pretend to female?

Beyond that, genealogy records will be screwed up beyond belief. People have an interest in their biological ancestors and their relations.

megimoo
03-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Ah hell, these clown groups keep trying to sue for various reasons. Few years ago it was over bathrooms. Just because they still had the bits and pieces, they were not allowed to use a womans restroom and sued for it.

Got one of these clowns down in the QCA. He will go around to Wal-mart, K Mart, Target and so on, grab womans clothing, then go and expect to use the womans dressing rooms to try them on. When the store owners explain he must use the mens, he throws a hissy and runs down to the local TV stations expecting them to air the "Discrimination" he experienced at those stores.Man oh man are those Arabs going to be busy when they take over America !

eagleexpress
03-21-2011, 09:17 PM
Some people are just sue happy

CueSi
03-21-2011, 09:27 PM
It could throw missing persons cases into a tailspin. And not to mention school records. Unless they want to switch to a numbers based system for that ish. I'm all about a good quality of life for em, but this is impractical. Expunging your past has it's liabilities.

~QC

NJCardFan
03-21-2011, 09:59 PM
for the love of pete.

born with johnson = man.
born without = woman.

We are talking liberals here, right?

Gingersnap
03-21-2011, 10:14 PM
I'm all about a good quality of life for em, but this is impractical. Expunging your past has it's liabilities.

~QC

A good quality of life involves being the best person you can be - not pretending to be somebody else because you super like it. Masculine girls are tomboys and we generally integrate our non-feminine interests into a feminine whole that makes us authentic. Perhaps we need some similar designation for feminine boys so they can grow up to be authentic masculine individuals.

A large part of this problem is genuinely male. Men fixate sexually and some fixate so intensely on women that they seek to become women. This isn't a lifestyle, it's a sickness that can be moderated through therapy. Other men feminize their male sexual objects. Those objectified men embrace the role to receive sexual attention. Again, something that can be moderated with therapy.

Very few genetic females want to be a dick-swinging guy. Very few genetic females want to be romantically inclined with a dick-swinging woman. Just as feminism was completely overtaken with homosexuality (male homosexuality at that), so homosexuality is being overtaken by transgender issues.

Perhaps in 20 years the trans world will have to turn itself inside out to accept asexuals. ;)

CueSi
03-22-2011, 12:36 AM
Depends on the kind of asexuals . . .there ARE people who have simply no sexual feelings toward anyone. At all. They're accepted as far as I know.

As far as transpeople go... I am starting to think of the concept as . . .it becomes your reality, even if it's not... reality. I suggest you see Inception.

But as to the logistics of correcting birth certificates . . . it's not something that I reccomend should be done purely for the reason that you're going to have people walking around without easily searchable pasts. While that may be liberating for those who get their past wiped clean with changing that critical piece of information that changes nothing at all, what about things like School, medical, and criminal records that could get lost in the shuffle? Partners who may be decieved into marrying or trying to have children with someone who isn't who they claim to be... and on top of that. . .it opens a whole new game of identity theft.

~QC

NJCardFan
03-22-2011, 07:30 AM
Here's what I don't get. Men who have sex changes so they can be lesbians. Can't look me in the eye and tell me that that's normal.

FBIGuy
03-22-2011, 07:37 AM
Why don't they change the sex on the birth certificate to "Various"?

Gingersnap
03-22-2011, 09:13 AM
Depends on the kind of asexuals . . .there ARE people who have simply no sexual feelings toward anyone. At all. They're accepted as far as I know.

~QC

But what if they started complaining about all the constant sexual references and preoccupation in the LGBT world? What if they rightly pointed out that it's oppressive and demeaning to assume that sexual behavior is the only important defining characteristic of natural identity? What if they demanded that "sexuals", including gays and lesbians, be more health conscious, more emotionally responsible, and less active? After all, the asexuals themselves avoid all of the physical, financial, and social chaos that sex can create and they pay taxes. :D

Wei Wu Wei
03-22-2011, 10:05 AM
Here's what I don't get. Men who have sex changes so they can be lesbians. Can't look me in the eye and tell me that that's normal.

Women are incredible and sexy and some people simply want to be with women, even if they don't want all the crap that comes with being a man.

NJCardFan
03-22-2011, 10:12 AM
Women are incredible and sexy and some people simply want to be with women, even if they don't want all the crap that comes with being a man.

And this is normal? In the Bizarro world maybe.

Wei Wu Wei
03-22-2011, 10:43 AM
news flash buddy this is bizarro world

CueSi
03-22-2011, 11:51 AM
But what if they started complaining about all the constant sexual references and preoccupation in the LGBT world? What if they rightly pointed out that it's oppressive and demeaning to assume that sexual behavior is the only important defining characteristic of natural identity? What if they demanded that "sexuals", including gays and lesbians, be more health conscious, more emotionally responsible, and less active? After all, the asexuals themselves avoid all of the physical, financial, and social chaos that sex can create and they pay taxes. :D

From what I know about asexual types... they're not like that too much, so that's a 'what if' that's a long shot. I'll eat my words if it happens, though. :D

~QC

Gingersnap
03-22-2011, 12:24 PM
From what I know about asexual types... they're not like that too much, so that's a 'what if' that's a long shot. I'll eat my words if it happens, though. :D

~QC

Anybody can be radicalized. ;)

Odysseus
03-23-2011, 01:10 PM
You know that some are born with parts of both. Maybe they arent part of the "transgender community" though.
Aren't hermaphrodites generally altered to one or the other within a few months of birth?

Actually, I can almost understand that. You're not only getting your favorite body parts, you get to play with them on others, too. It's like having your cake and eating it. :D

NJCardFan
03-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Aren't hermaphrodites generally altered to one or the other within a few months of birth?

Actually, I can almost understand that. You're not only getting your favorite body parts, you get to play with them on others, too. It's like having your cake and eating it. :D

literally:p