PDA

View Full Version : Where were you

eagleexpress
03-21-2011, 08:44 PM
I thought it would be intresting to see where some of you were whenn certain events happened in our nation. Here goes where you when JFK was shot,what about the Challenger blew up and the last on the most impact on my life is where were you on Sept 11,2001?

Gingersnap
03-21-2011, 08:59 PM
On September 11, I was driving into work when the radio guy I was listening to announced crash #1. By the time I got to work the second crash had happened.

I logged on and realized this was huge, crazy, and monumental. My secretary lives about 2 miles from work so I had her bring a TV in. I set it up and it ran for days. We also set up a primitive feed in a conference room to show on a screen.

Nobody got anything done that day and few people should have. :(

MrsSmith
03-21-2011, 09:26 PM
When JFK was shot, I was probably with my grandmother...because my mother was giving birth to my baby brother.

I don't remember where I was when the Challenger blew up.

On 9/11, I was off work, visiting my husband before I found a job and could move in with him. I watched it on TV for a while after he called me and told me what happened...then I called my mom. :o

Shannon
03-21-2011, 09:28 PM
Kennedy- not so much.

Challenger- I was home from school watching Scrabble on T.V. when the news broke.

9/11- I was on my way back from a cancelled court date when the first plane hit.

Madisonian
03-21-2011, 09:44 PM
JFK I was in 2nd grade music class when it came over the PA that Kennedy had been shot.
I was at work when the Challenger exploded and on 9/11. On 9/11 they shut the plant down early and I remember seeing the towers fall on live TV.

NJCardFan
03-21-2011, 09:51 PM
JFK was killed 2 years before I was born.

Challenger, I was getting tires for my father's car.

9/11-I was an employee of American Airlines working at their Cary, NC call center...the same call center Betty Ong called to report the hijacking of Flt. 11. I was on the phones working from 8am-4:30pm. I also had a ticket to fly to London that night. It was a rough day to say the least.

Articulate_Ape
03-21-2011, 10:37 PM
I was a toddler when JFK was killed, but I still remember my mother reacting to the news on TV as she was ironing in living room.

9/11 I remember like it was yesterday. Trying to reach my wife by phone as she was off on a project in Atlanta, my son at school, and all of us wondering about my SIL who was working in the south tower that day.

She made it out by the seat of her pants, literally, since she had to descend the last of some 60 flights on her ass because her legs gave out. She escaped the second collapse by a matter of a dozen or so minutes and wandered around for the next three hours to find a phone to tell her mother she was alive.

Memories. Learning moments.

Sorry if this is TMI.

Gingersnap
03-21-2011, 10:43 PM
I was a toddler when JFK was killed, but I still remember my mother reacting to the news on TV as she was ironing in living room.

9/11 I remember like it was yesterday. Trying to reach my wife by phone as she was off on a project in Atlanta, my son at school, and all of us wondering about my SIL who was working in the south tower that day.

She made it out by the seat of her pants, literally, since she had to descend the last of some 60 flights on her ass because her legs gave out. She escaped the second collapse by a matter of a dozen or so minutes and wandered around for the next three hours to find a phone to tell her mother she was alive.

Memories. Learning moments.

Sorry if this is TMI.

Memories of 9/11 are never TMI.

lacarnut
03-22-2011, 12:18 AM
I was working on the golf course when Kennedy was shot.

Don't remember where I was when the Challenger blew up

I was at work on 9/11. Shortly after the attack I went to LA Board of Tax Appeals for a hearing. Watched it on TV for a couple of hours. The hearing was cancelled so I went home, called my boss and told her that I was taking the rest of the day off.

Sonnabend
03-22-2011, 05:36 AM
Kennedy- I was barely a year old

Challenger - came to work and the entire office was in mourning

9/11- was at work then home. Spent a lot of time trying to keep 3 message boards from meltdown.

noonwitch
03-22-2011, 07:32 AM
JFK's assassination was about 11 months before I was born. I kind of remember MLK's assassination, when I was about 3. I totally remember the moon walk, which is really my first clear memory of a historical event.

I was at work on 9-11, but not at my current office. I was working at an office in a really bad part of town at the time. We had a staff meeting early, and when we came out other coworkers were talking about a plane hitting one of the WTC towers. By the time the second plane hit, the managers had a tv set up in the conference room, so everyone not watching it on her computer was watching it in there.

The state was still using 1600 Howard as the Wayne CO administration offices, which is a tall building. They closed it, when the Ren/cen and other downtown skyscrapers were also closed.

After the towers fell and we were all tired of watching the footage, we went outside and those of us who smoked did so. It was so quiet outside, and like in NYC, the weather was beautiful. People with kids left to go pick them up at school. When I drove home that night, there was hardly any traffic.

linda22003
03-22-2011, 07:47 AM
1. JFK assassination - I was eight; I'm the only kid I know who was at home that day watching Walter Cronkite live on TV. It was a teacher's in-service day in our school district, so kids weren't in classes. I remember every moment of that weekend very clearly; the TV was never off and there was no bedtime. :eek:

2. I was at work and heard about it; after I went home for the day I kept watching the endless film over and over until my husband turned it off, reminding me that it was never going to end any differently.

3. I was at work and we watched a TV with bad, shaky reception. I had been with a consulting firm that was a subsidiary of a firm that was right where one of the planes came in - I knew that people I knew and conference rooms where I'd had meetings with those people suddenly didn't exist any more. I came home around noon and my husband was already at home, since his office was right near FAA headquarters and that area had been evacuated.

ironhorsedriver
03-22-2011, 08:06 AM
Kennedy- I was 7 years old. Probably in school. I remember the events, but not where I was.
Challenger- Working, Again, remember well, just not exact location.
9/11- My wife and I where driving, looking at property, heard it on the radio and turned around for home. We where glued to the TV all day.

fettpett
03-22-2011, 08:09 AM
I wasn't even a twinkle in either parents eye when JFK was shot as both of THEM were only about 2

I was about 3 when Challenger blew up and don't remember it

9/11 was my wife (girlfriend at the time) and I's first dating anniversary, I was excited and not really paying attention to much of what was going on. I was sitting in the computer lab at school and someone walked in saying someone hit the WTC, I thought to myself, No way! immediately went online to Fox and other websites and they were down! went out into the student commons for a few mins saw the towers on fire, went back and tried to get some news sites going.

One of the girls in my english class was suppose to be getting a job at the restaurant that was at the top of the WTC...we didn't do shit the rest of the day.

Collumbia accident, I was at home turned on the TV to see what was on and saw that it had blown up on reentry. sat and watched that for the rest of the day

txradioguy
03-22-2011, 08:20 AM
JFK - still 6 years away from entering the world.

Challenger - I had just returned from lunch my Jr. year in High School. Thought it was a joke andhad to call my mom to find out that yes indeed...the Challenger had exploded.

As a side note I was preparing for my daighters 6th birthday when Columbia blew up.

9/11 - was getting ready to go to work at the radio station I was a Program Director at. Knew at that moment everything had changed. Two years later I left the National Guard and came back on active duty. And now I'm right here where it all started.

jediab
03-22-2011, 08:56 AM
JFK was before I was born.

The Challenger I was in 7th grade home room. My teacher quieted us down and told us what had happened. We didn't have any TV available and this was way before the internet, so we had to get our news updated after we got home.

9/11 I was working 2nd shift contract work at the time and I was asleep when the attacks happened. My wife calls and wakes me up telling me about the first plane to hit. My first thought it was a small censsna type plane. Nothing big. I told her a B-25 flew into the Empire State Building and the WTC should be ok. Then she told me it was an airliner, and that's was when I got out of bed and turned on the TV. I watched the thing replayed over and over like most people. I had to go into work that night too. The company I worked at had given everyone who wanted it the day off. It was totally empty in the office. Knowing what had happened that day, combined with the emptyness of the building, it was rather unsettling.

namvet
03-22-2011, 08:58 AM
I was in a study hall in HS when JFK was shot. they closed down school for the day when the word got round

I was at work when the Challenger blew up.

I was getting ready for work on 9-11. they still were not sure what happened. when I got to work I noticed circular contrails in the sky. WTF??? I found out when i got inside.

ralph wiggum
03-22-2011, 09:11 AM
JFK - Yeah, not even born yet.

Challenger - I was in high school gym class

9/11 - At work in west suburban Chicago on the top floor of a rather tall building for the area. In this particular office, we weren't allowed to listen to radios at our desks. Someone happened to have hers on nearby my desk, so we all tried to get on the internet. No dice. Went downstairs to the cafeteria and stayed there for what seemed like an eternity, watching the towers fall.

My commute took me right past O'Hare, and it was so eerie not to hear or see any planes in the air. There were a lot of rumors that the Sears Tower and/or the Hancock building were potential targets. I didn't feel real safe driving back into the city.

My wife at the time was teaching 2nd grade at a school in the city. I don't think that any of the teachers found out anything until very late morning. I finally talked to her just before noon. None of them had seen the footage. I think it was a very difficult procedure for the teachers to finally explain what had happened to the students. Hell, it was hard enough to tell our fellow adults who didn't know what had occured.

Phillygirl
03-22-2011, 09:14 AM
JFK - I wasn't born yet.

Challenger...I was in my dorm room at college and heard it on the radio. Listened to reports all day and night.

9/11 - I had 3 clients back to back that morning, 9:00, 10:00 and 11:00.

After my 10:00 client my partner grabbed me on the way to take the next one and told me about it. I remember him chuckling in a strange way, saying how this huge event was happening and I hadn't a clue, as I literally had no break to even know what was happening. I sort of shrugged it off, because I couldn't comprehend what he was actually telling me. I asked my 11:00 if he knew anything about it, and he didn't know much, just bits and pieces he heard on the radio right before he came in.

At noon some of my staff had he t.v. on and I heard my paralegal talking about the second tower falling, but I still was somewhat unclear as to the magnitude of it all. I quietly asked one of them if my partner's kids had been heard from as 1 was living in NYC at the time and the other in D.C. His daughter managed to get a hold of her brother by phone before the circuits all went out, so at least she called in to let her dad know that her brother was okay.

After we got back from lunch we let everyone else go home so they could be with their families. I remember talking to an attorney that worked in a high rise in Philly at around 4:00 and was wondering why the hell he was still at the office, since nobody know whether there was going to be another attack in another major city at that point. I tried to stop in my church that evening when I went home from work, but it was locked. Definitely an eerie day.

namvet
03-22-2011, 09:50 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3217/2949431445_52c71f3d5d.jpg

here's how we heard about JFK. every kid in HS had one

linda22003
03-22-2011, 09:56 AM
here's how we heard about JFK. every kid in HS had one

You might have to explain to our younger members exactly what that is. My husband took the item pictured below to work one day and asked the youngsters if anyone knew what it was. A wide eyed young woman said, "An IUD?" :p

http://www.interpunk.com/itemimages2/163000.gif

namvet
03-22-2011, 10:02 AM
You might have to explain to our younger members exactly what that is. My husband took the item pictured below to work one day and asked the youngsters if anyone knew what it was. A wide eyed young woman said, "An IUD?" :p

younger member's. it was called a portable transistor radio.

Odysseus
03-22-2011, 10:11 AM
I was either crawling or taking my first steps when JFK was killed.

I was on a break from a life-drawing class run by an illustrator out of his studio when the Challenger exploded. I was walking past an electronics store with a bunch of TVs in the window, and they all had the same image of the explosion with the crawl underneath. I got back to the classroom and told Burt, the instructor, that something had happened to the Challenger and he turned on a radio.

I was in Los Angeles on 9/11. I got a frantic call from a friend's wife who knew that I was from NYC and in the army, after the first plane hit. She was completely freaking out and I was doing my best to calm her while her husband was watching the news in the background. I had just finished telling her about the bomber that hit the Empire State Building during WWII and that it might have been an accident when the second plane hit. At that point, I remember saying that it was terrorists, because two planes wouldn't have had the same accident at the same time in the same place. She was in a panic and didn't know who would do this to us, and I was able to calm her down by saying that we'd know who it was by watching who the French surrendered to. It was black humor, but it cheered her up. Later on, she became a complete anti-war moonbat and used to go off about Bush and Cheney at the drop of a hat and how evil Republicans were for going to war, and I used to remind her that when the two towers fell, her first call was to the conservative Republican Soldier, not Code Pink.

namvet
03-22-2011, 10:14 AM
and the libtards claim Bush should have returned to DC. eh???

NJCardFan
03-22-2011, 10:28 AM

LOL, who didn't have a billion of those around the house. Or you had something like this:
http://www.ioffer.com/img/item/829/528/21/esad01_1a_xl.jpg

As for transistor radios, I had a few including one in the shape of a hockey puck with the Flyers logo on it. Complete with ear bud. Only got AM stations.

Odysseus
03-22-2011, 11:29 AM

I remember those! A thousand quatloos on the newcomers!

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/gallery/emblems/emblem-triskelion-thegamestersoftriskelion.jpg

txradioguy
03-22-2011, 11:45 AM

LOL! Had to use those on the 45's we played at my first radio job.

Arroyo_Doble
03-22-2011, 11:54 AM
I was not born when JFK was assassinated.

I saw the Challenger events unfold in the day room of my barracks on Ft Campbell.

I watched the events of 9/11 unfold (heard about the first plane on NPR while commuting) on a television at work.

fettpett
03-22-2011, 11:58 AM

I knew what it was, besides the fact that it says "Transistor" on the bottom :rolleyes::p