PDA

View Full Version : Bill Maher Calls Sarah Palin a Female Vulgarism, NOW Stays Mum

Gingersnap
03-22-2011, 09:54 AM
Bill Maher Calls Sarah Palin a Female Vulgarism, NOW Stays Mum

By Hollie McKay

Published March 22, 2011

| FoxNews.com

http://i56.tinypic.com/2ymc941.gif
Bill Maher and Sarah Palin. (Reuters)

Bill Maher uttered a female vulgarism when referring to former Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin on his HBO show Friday night.

“Did you hear this – Sarah Palin finally heard what happened in Japan and she’s demanding that we invade ‘Tsunami,’” Maher said. “I mean she said, ‘These ‘Tsunamians’ will not get away with this.’ Oh speaking of dumb tw**s, did you...”

Maher was offering an imagined Palin response in an apparent attempt at humor, as Palin had made no such statement.

The National Organization for Women (NOW) refused to comment on Maher’s use of the derogatory term. A rep told FOXNews.com it is a “known fact” that NOW does not correspond with FOX News.

Other women's groups and publications did not have such policies in place.

“Widespread sexism in the media is one of the top problems facing women, and seriously affects women in politics. A highly toxic media environment persists for women candidates, and discourages all women – irrespective of political persuasion - from running for public office,” Yana Walton, Vice President of Communications at Women's Media Center told FOXNews.com. “Despite the fact that women make up half of the population, we're only 17 percent of congress. Bill Maher's misogynistic comment about Sarah Palin hurts all women, not just Palin, and not just conservative women. By insulting her gender, rather than her platform or stance on issues, he insults women as a group.”

Terry Dougherty, editor of Women magazine, said “[Maher's] choice of words shows an enormous lack of respect for women. If his preceding joke had been about a man, I can't imagine him using an equally derogatory term to describe a male. That type of language shows a lack of consideration toward women."

Matthew Vadum, Senior Editor at the Capital Research Center in Washington DC, said Maher’s insults spotlight hypocrisy in the media.

"Bill Maher feels he can get away with such jaw-droppingly offensive verbal attacks on Sarah Palin because virtually the entire media-academia-entertainment complex agrees with him,” Vadum said. “Clinging to their political correctness and disdain for her quintessentially American values, the left-wing cocktail circuit regards Palin as a punch line.”

So if a prominent media figure had made such a disparaging remark towards a leading female Democrat, like Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, would the mainstream media have reacted with outrage?

“If a conservative used that language to describe Hillary Clinton, we wouldn't be hearing very much about Japan or Libya,” said John Ziegler, creator the documentary “Media Malpractice.” “If they said it about Michelle Obama, the media would be going 24/7 with the story.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2011/03/22/maher-calls-sarah-palin-female-vulgarism-stays-mum/#ixzz1HL9qD44M

Zafod
03-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Maher is a total douche.

FBIGuy
03-22-2011, 10:14 AM
That would be a really hurtful thing to say if Maher's opinion had any relevance what so every.

Wei Wu Wei
03-22-2011, 10:26 AM
Terry Dougherty, editor of Women magazine, said “[Maher's] choice of words shows an enormous lack of respect for women. If his preceding joke had been about a man, I can't imagine him using an equally derogatory term to describe a male. That type of language shows a lack of consideration toward women."

I wonder which term they would consider "equally derogatory"

Wei Wu Wei
03-22-2011, 10:28 AM
That would be a really hurtful thing to say if Maher's opinion had any relevance what so every.

or if he was talking to someone who was more than a glorified reality tv star

Maher, the late night HBO comedian, makes jokes about snookie too. big deal.

Novaheart
03-22-2011, 10:32 AM

I have a great deal of respect for my mother's intellect, which is why I was stunned that she seemed to honestly believe that no man had been described as a "dick".

This is apparently one of those special cases in which a certain group of people has decided that they get to declare what is off limits, like those defined by race or occupation.

txradioguy
03-22-2011, 02:54 PM

And yet again the textbook example of excusing any kind of bad behavior simply because you share the same political view of the world.

If Maher was Republican and had said the same thing about Hillary or (insert female Democrat politician) your entire attitude and tone would be completely different.

CueSi
03-22-2011, 03:05 PM

When Snooki gets elected to something beyond Miss Valtrex 2011, your comparison will be valid. I saw what you did there, Wei, and it's not cute.

~QC

wilbur
03-22-2011, 03:06 PM
And yet again the textbook example of excusing any kind of bad behavior simply because you share the same political view of the world.

So what you're saying is that he's sorta acting like you would act, if say... Glenn Beck said he wanted to choke the life out of a left wing celebrity... and that you think he should actually act like you would, if say.. Keith Olberman had said he wanted to choke the life out of a right wing celebrity.

FBIGuy
03-22-2011, 03:09 PM
So what you're saying is that he's sorta acting like you would act, if say... Glenn Beck said he wanted to choke the life out of a left wing celebrity... and that you think he should actually act like you would, if say.. Keith Olberman had said he wanted to choke the life out of a right wing celebrity.

Actually, he is acting like you only he's a lot more relevant.

txradioguy
03-22-2011, 03:10 PM

Show me where I agreed with Beck rubilw and you'd have a valid counterpoint to what I said.

Ahh but you can't because I didn't.

The fact of the matter is you obtuse little troll...is that you and the rest of the Libtard mouth breathers that troll here excuse any and all behavior by the left because they are "your guys/girls" and that makes it ok because they are down for the cause.

Only people who don't agree with you politically are to be held up for shame and scorn and forced to play by rules you yourself thumb your nose at.

Spare me and the rest of us your pathetic attempt at equivalence.

wilbur
03-22-2011, 03:20 PM
Show me where I agreed with Beck rubilw and you'd have a valid counterpoint to what I said.

Ahh but you can't because I didn't.

The fact of the matter is you obtuse little troll...is that you and the rest of the Libtard mouth breathers that troll here excuse any and all behavior by the left because they are "your guys/girls" and that makes it ok because they are down for the cause.

Only people who don't agree with you politically are to be held up for shame and scorn and forced to play by rules you yourself thumb your nose at.

Spare me and the rest of us your pathetic attempt at equivalence.

We're talking about excusing - not agreeing - with extreme things ideologues say. So let's see what you had to say about Beck's comment:

Originally Posted by wilbur

Hahaha, the first quote I pasted in this fucking thread was Glenn Beck describing how he'd like to choke the life out of Michael Moore you dubmass

And again...as has been pointed out...you were taking what he said out of context.

BINGO! Looks like an excuse to me!

Novaheart
03-22-2011, 04:39 PM
The truly stunning thing about this white trash sensibility on language was exhibited by the queen of white trash, Phyllis Schlaffley. She would never dream of saying a dirty word, no, she would use totally clean language to say perfectly dreadful things and then give you that smile like a crack in the gates of hell.

Sorry, but I really don't care if Bill Maher called Sarah Palin a twat.

It's also like "Bishop" Harry Jackson. He can stand up there and say dreadful things about gay people, most dreadful being that they should be legally discriminated against, but if you call him the Nword, and if you will open a dictionary his photo is right next to that word, he'd be doing a war dance. The reason for not calling Harry Jackson a nword isn't that he isn't an nword, it's that you would insult lots of other people who have come to believe that if you would call Harry Jackson that, then you must be thinking it about every bword person you encounter. That and the fact that his race merely makes him a hypocrite for his position, but isn't the cause of his stupidity and maliciousness.

noonwitch
03-23-2011, 09:01 AM

Dickhead

Odysseus
03-23-2011, 09:35 AM

I would be deeply pissed off if someone called me a "wei" or a "Wilbur", but most people outside of CU wouldn't know why.

CueSi
03-23-2011, 11:13 AM
Why don't they change their name to NOLW and get it over with?

We're Onto you, Right Wingers... (http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/jjmnolte/2011/03/22/now-reponds-to-mahers-attack-on-palin-with-we-are-on-to-you-right-wingers/)

Blame the victim... isn't that what rapists do?

~QC

Wei Wu Wei
03-23-2011, 11:42 AM

If Maher was Republican and had said the same thing about Hillary or (insert female Democrat politician) your entire attitude and tone would be completely different.

no it wouldn't because i don't get all butthurt about what comedians have to say and i'm also not a democrat

noonwitch
03-23-2011, 11:53 AM
Why don't they change their name to NOLW and get it over with?

We're Onto you, Right Wingers... (http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/jjmnolte/2011/03/22/now-reponds-to-mahers-attack-on-palin-with-we-are-on-to-you-right-wingers/)

Blame the victim... isn't that what rapists do?

~QC

Back in the day, no self-respecting woman would ever sleep with Maher unless he apologized first to Sarah Palin and then to all women for his comment. And no woman who called herself a feminist would appear on his show until he did so.

I used the Eldridge Cleaver rape example a few weeks ago-Against Our Wills by Susan Brownmiller is a classic feminist work. I wonder if a feminist now would write a book that included an example of a Black Panther legitimizing his rape of black women (in order to prepare him for raping white women)?

I'm sure that the posters at DU have already gone off about how since Sarah Palin's politics are "against women's interests" it's okay to make comments like this about her. They do the same thing about calling Condi Rice an "Aunt Jemima", or Clarence Thomas an "Uncle Tom" (although Long Dong Silver is always fair).

Gingersnap
03-23-2011, 12:00 PM
Back in the day, no self-respecting woman would ever sleep with Maher unless he apologized first to Sarah Palin and then to all women for his comment. And no woman who called herself a feminist would appear on his show until he did so.

I used the Eldridge Cleaver rape example a few weeks ago-Against Our Wills by Susan Brownmiller is a classic feminist work. I wonder if a feminist now would write a book that included an example of a Black Panther legitimizing his rape of black women (in order to prepare him for raping white women)?

I'm sure that the posters at DU have already gone off about how since Sarah Palin's politics are "against women's interests" it's okay to make comments like this about her. They do the same thing about calling Condi Rice an "Aunt Jemima", or Clarence Thomas an "Uncle Tom" (although Long Dong Silver is always fair).

I'm not sure there any feminists around today. All I seem to see today are women fronting various causes/groups and slapping the "feminist" label on the most absurd issues. Certainly the idea that women have a common cause against reflexive sexual objectification is a non-issue now. :(

Odysseus
03-23-2011, 12:23 PM
No self-respecting woman would ever sleep with Maher.

Fixed.

Zafod
03-23-2011, 02:02 PM
I am prob the only one but I dont think twat is that bad. Not on par with c%$#.....

Odysseus
03-23-2011, 02:11 PM
I am prob the only one but I dont think twat is that bad. Not on par with c%$#.....

They are both vulgar terms, but the C-word is definitely worse than the T-word.

Zafod
03-23-2011, 02:16 PM

agreed.

Maher is a C%$#

lacarnut
03-23-2011, 02:26 PM
agreed.

And a no talent unfunny one at that along with being a first class prick.

Zafod
03-23-2011, 02:59 PM

I keep saying it. How do people think this ass hat is funny.

Just watch his classic masterpiece Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death .

riviting.

oh and who could forget the oscar winning performance in House II: The Second Story....

not to mention the pivital roles on rosanne.....

CueSi
03-23-2011, 03:07 PM

No, I actually do understand. <shrug> Principle of the thing, I guess. :)

~QC

megimoo
03-23-2011, 03:19 PM

He is a complete butt hole of the first water.He has no talent,class,humor or mind.His sole purpose in life is to kiss the progressive asses by low class swipes aimed at his conservative betters...His program is a complete waste of time and has little viewer value.

Odysseus
03-23-2011, 03:54 PM
agreed.

Maher is a C%$#
No, he's a pussy.

He is a complete butt hole of the first water.He has no talent,class,humor or mind.His sole purpose in life is to kiss the progressive asses by low class swipes aimed at his conservative betters...His program is a complete waste of time and has little viewer value.

You can actually see the moment when he became a tool. It was the episode of Politically Incorrect after 9/11, where he made a statement that got him canned from ABC about how the people who flew the planes into the towers weren't cowards, but we, because we fight wars with missiles and the like, were. Before that, he'd always tried to be somewhat evenhanded on the show, and even apologized to Olliver North when Al Franken made some really inappropriate and uncalled for comments. After that, he just lost any perspective and became a partisan hack.

Arroyo_Doble
03-23-2011, 04:18 PM
You can actually see the moment when he became a tool. It was the episode of Politically Incorrect after 9/11, where he made a statement that got him canned from ABC about how the people who flew the planes into the towers weren't cowards, but we, because we fight wars with missiles and the like, were. Before that, he'd always tried to be somewhat evenhanded on the show, and even apologized to Olliver North when Al Franken made some really inappropriate and uncalled for comments. After that, he just lost any perspective and became a partisan hack.

I did find ironic humor in the fact he was fired from a show called Politically Incorrect for being politically incorrect.

Odysseus
03-23-2011, 05:55 PM
I did find ironic humor in the fact he was fired from a show called Politically Incorrect for being politically incorrect.

Yeah, there was a certain irony to it, but the show had been losing ratings since it relocated to LA from NYC. When the show was on the east coast, they got more politicians than celebrities (a lot of whom would hop the shuttle from DC, do the show and be back the same day), and the mix was usually 2:2 conservative:liberal. When it went to Los Angeles, they couldn't get the politicos, and the mix was more often 3:1 in favor of liberals, and as Maher became more openly partisan, it was more like 4:1. I suspect that the network was looking for an excuse and he provided it.

MrsSmith
03-23-2011, 06:48 PM
We're talking about excusing - not agreeing - with extreme things ideologues say. So let's see what you had to say about Beck's comment:

BINGO! Looks like an excuse to me!

Exactly how could you put “Did you hear this – Sarah Palin finally heard what happened in Japan and she’s demanding that we invade ‘Tsunami,’” Maher said. “I mean she said, ‘These ‘Tsunamians’ will not get away with this.’ Oh speaking of dumb tw**s, did you –” into any context that makes it somehow ok?

Odysseus
03-23-2011, 09:40 PM
Exactly how could you put “Did you hear this – Sarah Palin finally heard what happened in Japan and she’s demanding that we invade ‘Tsunami,’” Maher said. “I mean she said, ‘These ‘Tsunamians’ will not get away with this.’ Oh speaking of dumb tw**s, did you –” into any context that makes it somehow ok?

The words "Sarah Palin" are the context that justifies any attack, no matter how low.

Novaheart
03-23-2011, 09:46 PM

Tword funny.

Article in St Pete Times says use of "bitch" is precursor to violence. Here we go again... sacred cow mentality.

fettpett
03-23-2011, 09:49 PM
Tword funny.

Article in St Pete Times says use of "bitch" is precursor to violence. Here we go again... sacred cow mentality.

and yet these are the same people that have pushed for YEARS to allow swear words on broadcast TV

SaintLouieWoman
03-23-2011, 10:04 PM
Maher is a total douche.
So is the NOW gang.

SaintLouieWoman
03-23-2011, 10:09 PM
The truly stunning thing about this white trash sensibility on language was exhibited by the queen of white trash, Phyllis Schlaffley. She would never dream of saying a dirty word, no, she would use totally clean language to say perfectly dreadful things and then give you that smile like a crack in the gates of hell.

Sorry, but I really don't care if Bill Maher called Sarah Palin a twat.

It's also like "Bishop" Harry Jackson. He can stand up there and say dreadful things about gay people, most dreadful being that they should be legally discriminated against, but if you call him the Nword, and if you will open a dictionary his photo is right next to that word, he'd be doing a war dance. The reason for not calling Harry Jackson a nword isn't that he isn't an nword, it's that you would insult lots of other people who have come to believe that if you would call Harry Jackson that, then you must be thinking it about every bword person you encounter. That and the fact that his race merely makes him a hypocrite for his position, but isn't the cause of his stupidity and maliciousness.

Nova, I've never said anything to you about any of your comments, but this really ticks me off (I'm editing my language so it won't be "white trash"). Mrs. Schlaffley is a class woman, a graduate of the Washington University School of Law, a very articulate person. To call her "white trash" is vulgar on your part. I take great offense at this.

Rockntractor
03-23-2011, 11:08 PM
Nova, I've never said anything to you about any of your comments, but this really ticks me off (I'm editing my language so it won't be "white trash"). Mrs. Schlaffley is a class woman, a graduate of the Washington University School of Law, a very articulate person. To call her "white trash" is vulgar on your part. I take great offense at this.
He is that way with any woman of virtue, Michelle Bachman is one of his favorite targets.

Zathras
03-24-2011, 12:37 AM

Remember wilbur is a DUmbass liberal and believes anything a fellow lib has to say, no matter how stupid or hateful, is perfectly ok and above reproach.

wilbur
03-24-2011, 08:05 AM

I didn't say it was OK - I was pointing out the obvious hypocrisy on the part of TxRadio guy (among others). Apparently the term twat, when uttered by a comedian in reference to Sarah Palin, is hateful and horrible, but when a right wing commentator openly fantasizes about strangling a person, its all about context (and he was probably just trying to be funny!)

In all honesty, I don't think I'd be offended if *anyone* called *any* politician (or reality TV "star") a twat.

namvet
03-24-2011, 08:55 AM
Maher is just another stand up faggot lib. another reason I don't watch HBO. Homosexual Box Office

Odysseus
03-24-2011, 10:29 AM
Tword funny.

Calling a woman a cow, sacred or otherwise, is probably not good either.

I didn't say it was OK - I was pointing out the obvious hypocrisy on the part of TxRadio guy (among others). Apparently the term twat, when uttered by a comedian in reference to Sarah Palin, is hateful and horrible, but when a right wing commentator openly fantasizes about strangling a person, its all about context (and he was probably just trying to be funny!)

In all honesty, I don't think I'd be offended if *anyone* called *any* politician (or reality TV "star") a twat.
Unless, of course, it was Glenn Beck who said it.

lacarnut
03-24-2011, 11:16 AM
Maher is just another stand up faggot lib. another reason I don't watch HBO. Homosexual Box Office

That is some funny shit there.

Zafod
03-24-2011, 11:37 AM
That is some funny shit there.

agreed

Zafod
03-24-2011, 11:39 AM
has bill maher admitted he slobs knob?

NJCardFan
03-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Calling a woman a cow, sacred or otherwise, is probably not good either.

http://macroblog.typepad.com/macroblog/images/win_button.jpg

wilbur
03-24-2011, 12:38 PM

Nah, can't say I'd really care then either. Don't really bother myself much with the opinions and rantings of all the demagogues out there, and don't really get worked up over them anymore... any of em. By giving them attention, positive or negative, you essentially reward them - they become centers of conversation and debate - they stay relevant.

About the only use I have for any of them anymore is to keep a slight pulse on the types of things I will hear in political conversations, since so many people use those talking heads as templates for their own political positions - what the talking heads care about today, they care about today. What the talking heads don't care about today, they don't care about today, etc.

I do still get worked up over the people who actually believe what they say and mistake the opinionated, propagandistic rhetoric from demagogues for real, factual and rational argument... the former is *all* they ever offer... or when people extol the virtues of their own political beliefs based on the attitude of those demagogic infotainment media personalities who share some of their views.... or when people demonize other people with opposing views based on the attitude of certain other demagogic infotainment media personalities... how stupid is that? Very... especially, considering that the attitudes of the respective infotainment personalities really aren't all that different.

Novaheart
03-24-2011, 12:51 PM
Calling a woman a cow....

I was actually referring to you.

Novaheart
03-24-2011, 12:54 PM

I'll bet you've spent more quality time with naked men than I have, and I've been a PCA.

wilbur
03-24-2011, 01:03 PM

So like Ody said... calling a woman a cow...

txradioguy
03-24-2011, 02:43 PM

So typical of you to take something totally out of context.

Bailey
03-24-2011, 02:50 PM
I'll bet you've spent more quality time with naked men than I have, and I've been a PCA.

Ah that old canard fags like to throw out.

Odysseus
03-24-2011, 03:12 PM
You saying that this uniform makes me look fat? :mad:

Nobody has ever mistaken me for a woman before, Wilbur, but then I'm sure that nobody has ever mistaken you for a man, either.

fettpett
03-24-2011, 04:58 PM
Nobody has ever mistaken me for a woman before, Wilbur, but then I'm sure that nobody has ever mistaken you for a man, either.

I don't think he's been mistaken for anything other than a waste of space before