PDA

View Full Version : Watch out Baton Rouge, Texas, and Atlanta... Remember a few years ago?

OwlMBA
08-30-2008, 03:25 PM
The people of the gulf coast deserve whatever they get. I am sick of the taxpayers bailing out the people who CHOOSE to live on the coast.

I hope a big, monster hurricane comes and buries New Orleans once and for all.

If you don't like it, move. I dont make the government come and replace my gutters when the Ohio snow and ice storms rip them off of my house. When you live in Ohio its going to snow, and when you live on the coast you are going to get hurricanes.

And hey, if you want to live there and take the consequences - great! Just don't come whining and crying when a storm comes.

Eyelids
08-30-2008, 03:38 PM
I hope a big, monster hurricane comes and buries New Orleans once and for all. .

You might be getting your wish.

OwlMBA
08-30-2008, 03:40 PM
You might be getting your wish.

I said an extra prayer today. I hope God buries that cess pool once and for all. Too bad we couldn't blow up all the bridges out of town first.

Eyelids
08-30-2008, 03:42 PM
I said an extra prayer today. I hope God buries that cess pool once and for all. Too bad we couldn't blow up all the bridges out of town first.

Hey man, I'm with ya. The closer this lands to the RNC and the more damage it does the better,

ON A WAVE OF MUTILATION
A WAVE OF MUTILATION
A WAVE OF MUTILATION
A WAVE
A WAVE

OwlMBA
08-30-2008, 03:43 PM
The crime (and especially violent crime) rates skyrocketed (http://www.city-journal.org/html/eon2006-01-04ng.html) in all of those places after Katrina, and it is poised to happen again. (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-gustav-new-orleans-bd_wittaug31,0,6032112.story)

Glad I am not in Atlanta this time around. We had our hands full with the "evacuees". Cops couldn't handle them.And this time, nobody wants them.

Good luck.

OwlMBA
08-30-2008, 03:44 PM
Hey man, I'm with ya. The closer this lands to the RNC and the more damage it does the better,

ON A WAVE OF MUTILATION
A WAVE OF MUTILATION
A WAVE OF MUTILATION
A WAVE
A WAVE

Yea, but everyone who drowns in that pit called New Orleans are Obama supporters, so it should all even out.

OwlMBA
08-30-2008, 03:46 PM
Eyelids' ungraciousness is only surpassed by Owl's.

Oh boo-freakin-hoo. Am I supposed to cry over something that happens every freakin' year to these coastal cities? A hurricane hitting the gulf coast is a mathematical certainty. How anyone can act surprised by it is beyond me.

Eyelids
08-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Yea, but everyone who drowns in that pit called New Orleans are Obama supporters, so it should all even out.

Meh, weren't gonna win LA anyways.

OwlMBA
08-30-2008, 03:50 PM
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/Jerkbag/ITSGONRAIN.png

http://myspacecomedy.com/images/funny/katrina-beer-loot.jpg

JB
08-30-2008, 03:50 PM
Oh man. Between this thread and the Gustav thread...you're on a roll dude.

Eyelids
08-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Thanks, what is truly ironic is that my dad's first name is Gustave. More than one employee at the hospital has noted that.

Wow you've got some bright doctors down there.

OwlMBA
08-30-2008, 03:55 PM
Wow you've got some bright doctors down there.

Yea. All the best doctors want to live below sea level, on the coast, in a city that has to pump out its own sewer and has one of the highest uninsured rates in the country. Oh, and one of the highest murder rates.

Clearly the best and brightest minds are attracted to that environment.

"Yes, dear. I did get an offer from the Mayo Clinic. But I really feel like downtown New Orleans is a better place to build a medical practice and raise a family."

OwlMBA
08-30-2008, 03:56 PM
Beebs & Eyelids, this is a thread on the storm. If you want to argue on living in a hurricane prone area, start your own thread please.

How is this not related to the storm?

But fine, move my posts to the other thread I just created. Its in GD too.

lacarnut
08-30-2008, 04:01 PM

You are a moron. Have you ever been to Jefferson Parish, St. James Parish, etc? These parishes, counties, are 90% white ( suburbs). The same deal as Smyrna is to Atlanta and Metairie is to N.O..

OwlMBA
08-30-2008, 04:05 PM
You are a moron. Have you ever been to Jefferson Parish, St. James Parish, etc? These parishes, counties, are 90% white ( suburbs). The same deal as Smyrna is to Atlanta and Metairie is to N.O..

Yes, all 500 people who live there are retarded. White, black, or otherwise.

Ironically, I know a particularly stupid person from Atlanta who decided New Orleans was THE NEXT BIG real estate market. He cashed out his 401k and other investments and built a bunch of track houses down there. But then insurance rates went up (duh) so he has them all uninsured and most are unsold.

Brilliant white guy, right there.

Oh, and last time I checked, Smyrna isn't below sea level 1 mile from the coast.

lacarnut
08-30-2008, 06:12 PM

Your knowledge of New Orleans and the Port of South Louisiana would not fill a thimble. These two Louisiana ports handle approximately 25% of the world's largest tonnage in bulk quantities. All that steel, rubber that Ohio uses in the manufacturing process that comes up the Mississippi River would cease if there were no workers to load and unload those products from foreign ships. Ohio exports of grain and other food products could not be shipped by river traffic either.

Now to the good part; oil and gas. Can we say you would freeze your ass off this winter. Yeah, cause those petroleum products and that natural gas shipped to Ohio would come to a crawl also. My domestic oil and natural gas stocks would go thru the roof.

Your idea of the big storm burying N.O. sounds like a good plan to me. I make plenty of money and ignorant shits like you and Eyelids get the short end of the stick. FYI, you have to have infrastructure to work those thousands of offshore rigs plus several of those refineries are just a few miles from New Orleans. But hey, I like your plan even though you don't know your ass from the hole in the ground about MS River traffic or the petro and gas hubs in Louisiana.

Eyelids
08-30-2008, 06:21 PM
Yea. All the best doctors want to live below sea level, on the coast, in a city that has to pump out its own sewer and has one of the highest uninsured rates in the country. Oh, and one of the highest murder rates.

Clearly the best and brightest minds are attracted to that environment.

"Yes, dear. I did get an offer from the Mayo Clinic. But I really feel like downtown New Orleans is a better place to build a medical practice and raise a family."

And you haven't even touched on the people who fucking live there...

lacarnut
08-30-2008, 06:43 PM

That mighty white of you to want to drown your brothers and sisters like rats.

FlaGator
08-30-2008, 07:56 PM
The people of the gulf coast deserve whatever they get. I am sick of the taxpayers bailing out the people who CHOOSE to live on the coast.

If you don't like it, move. I dont make the government come and replace my gutters when the Ohio snow and ice storms rip them off of my house. When you live in Ohio its going to snow, and when you live on the coast you are going to get hurricanes.

And hey, if you want to live there and take the consequences - great! Just don't come whining and crying when a storm comes.

I don't think I've ever said this to anybody since I became a Christian and I'll ask God to forgive me when I say my prayers but you are a fucking idiot. Shove you wishes up your ass and choke on them.

Sonnabend
08-30-2008, 08:00 PM

..yet you are the one wishing them harm. :rolleyes:

OwlMBA
08-30-2008, 08:41 PM
I don't think I've ever said this to anybody since I became a Christian and I'll ask God to forgive me when I say my prayers but you are a fucking idiot. Shove you wishes up your ass and choke on them.

Hey, if the people who live there are willing to deal with the threats - more power to'em, but dont tell me that the taxpayers should be stepping in every 3 years when they get hit.

FlaGator
08-30-2008, 08:48 PM
Hey, if the people who live there are willing to deal with the threats - more power to'em, but dont tell me that the taxpayers should be stepping in every 3 years when they get hit.

I pay taxes too so don't tell me how to feel about how my tax dollars are spent. You do not speak for the tax payers, you speak for yourself. I would rather my tax dollars go to taking care of people than spending it on half the junk the government spends it on. Show a little human decency and quit acting like an arrogant, how it all.

OwlMBA
08-30-2008, 08:51 PM
I pay taxes too so don't tell me how to feel about how my tax dollars are spent. You do not speak for the tax payers, you speak for yourself. I would rather my tax dollars go to taking care of people than spending it on half the junk the government spends it on. Show a little human decency and quit acting like an arrogant, how it all.

Hmmm, so should the government pay to replace my gutters when the ice tears them down this winter? Should they pay to fix my lawn when the drought kills all my grass?

Paying for FEMA trailers and free hotel rooms is not the role of the government. I am all for "helping people", but those who voluntarily live on the Coast need to have some responsibility too. Getting on TV whining because a hurricane is coming is beyond pathetic and does not generate much sympathy from Americans anymore. If you don't like the inevitable hurricane, and aren't willing to pay for your own insurance and expenses, move somewhere else. This probably doesn't apply to you, but Katrina sure proved that there are a lot of people in hurricane ally sucking off of the government's teet. And taking money from middle America to give to those on the golf coast without insurance is Welfare and income redistribution. Period. And anyone who supports that can suck on it.

Or the government can just start cutting me a check for all of the weather-related expenses that every other part of the @#$%ing country has to deal with.

LibraryLady
08-30-2008, 08:56 PM
I have family in south LA. They are doctors, nurses, an airline pilot, a CPA and a minister. They all evacuated before Katrina. They returned, had varied amounts of damage to their homes. Most of them repaired (with insurance they paid for) and stayed there. They are providing needed functions there. Why would you wish them harm?

OwlMBA
08-30-2008, 08:57 PM
I have family in south LA. They are doctors, nurses, an airline pilot, a CPA and a minister. They all evacuated before Katrina. They returned, had varied amounts of damage to their homes. Most of them repaired (with insurance they paid for) and stayed there. They are providing needed functions there. Why would you wish them harm?

Ok, you all need to learn to distinguish sarcasm. I dont wish ANYONE harm. But I do wish that our government would insist that people have insurance, and refuse to pay the expenses of those who don't. If they did that, the riff-raff would be out of New Orleans and we would all be better off.

But if the government is going to insist on taking money from 99% of the country to subsidize insurance for 1%, I will not be happy about it.

lacarnut
08-30-2008, 09:02 PM
Ok, you all need to learn to distinguish sarcasm. I dont wish ANYONE harm. But I do wish that our government would insist that people have insurance, and refuse to pay the expenses of those who don't. If they did that, the riff-raff would be out of New Orleans and we would all be better off.

But if the government is going to insist on taking money from 99% of the country to subsidize insurance for 1%, I will not be happy about it.

Right. However, you are too stupid to respond to my previous post #16

FlaGator
08-30-2008, 09:03 PM
Hmmm, so should the government pay to replace my gutters when the ice tears them down this winter? Should they pay to fix my lawn when the drought kills all my grass?

Paying for FEMA trailers and free hotel rooms is not the role of the government. I am all for "helping people", but those who voluntarily live on the Coast need to have some responsibility too. Getting on TV whining because a hurricane is coming is beyond pathetic and does not generate much sympathy from Americans anymore. If you don't like the inevitable hurricane, and aren't willing to pay for your own insurance and expenses, move somewhere else. This probably doesn't apply to you, but Katrina sure proved that there are a lot of people in hurricane ally sucking off of the government's teet. And taking money from middle America to give to those on the golf coast without insurance is Welfare and income redistribution. Period. And anyone who supports that can suck on it.

Or the government can just start cutting me a check for all of the weather-related expenses that every other part of the @#$%ing country has to deal with.

Are you telling me that you advocate letting people, those displaced because of their choice of where to live, die of starvation and exposure. Is that your solution?

OwlMBA
08-30-2008, 09:04 PM
Right. However, you are too stupid to respond to my previous post #16

Whats the problem? Shouldn't those folks also pay for insurance?

OwlMBA
08-30-2008, 09:05 PM
Are you telling me that you advocate letting people, those displaced because of their choice of where to live, die of starvation and exposure. Is that your solution?

Oh brother. Spending 12 months in a free hotel room or years in a FEMA trailer along with a $2,000 handout is hardly preventing people from "dying of exposure".

And nobody has an excuse anymore. You know what hurricanes can do, you better darn well be prepared. And if not, I support giving the bare minimum to save lives. Not free cash, free insurance, subsidized loans, tax breaks, and indefinite free living in a trailer.

lacarnut
08-30-2008, 09:08 PM
Whats the problem? Shouldn't those folks also pay for insurance?

The problem does not have anything to do with insurance; it's your stupid mouth. If I have to explain it any further, the meaning would get lost in the translation.

FlaGator
08-30-2008, 09:08 PM

1 percent? Have you looked at a map of the US lately? The majority of the country live on or near (with in 30 miles) of a coast. Actually most people live on or near a coast, a flood plain, an earthquake zone or a tornado prone area. Where do you suggest we move all these people too?

FlaGator
08-30-2008, 09:10 PM
Oh brother. Spending 12 months in a free hotel room or years in a FEMA trailer along with a $2,000 handout is hardly preventing people from "dying of exposure".

And nobody has an excuse anymore. You know what hurricanes can do, you better darn well be prepared. And if not, I support giving the bare minimum to save lives. Not free cash, free insurance, subsidized loans, tax breaks, and indefinite free living in a trailer.

Nice way to not answer the question. Your position implies letting people die rather than help them. I want to know is this what you advocate. If not then what do you suggest we do when people get displaced because of a natural disaster?

OwlMBA
08-30-2008, 09:13 PM
1 percent? Have you looked at a map of the US lately? The majority of the country live on or near (with in 30 miles) of a coast. Actually most people live on or near a coast, a flood plain, an earthquake zone or a tornado prone area. Where do you suggest we move all these people too?

Well, I live in a tornado prone area. Got hit last year. Don't recall any of the folks around here getting any FEMA money. The Red Cross came, which was great. But those who didnt have insurance were screwed.

I have a half destroyed house right down my street still stuck there because the guy didnt have insurance and nobody (including the govt) is paying to tear it down.

Clearly we have a difference of opinion here - you feel it is the government's job to subsidize assets, and I do not. I don't wish anyone harm, obviously, but I do wish that people who live in high risk areas (including the wildfire areas, etc that you mentioned) bear some of the responsibility.

By the way, if you live on the gulf coast its almost a mathematical certainty you WILL be affected by a hurricane in some way or another at least once every 10 years or so. Even in the most tornado-prone areas the probability of a tornado actually destroying your home is much less likely.

And in hurricanes you have advanced notice. Lots of it. That makes it unlike every other natural disaster known to man.

OwlMBA
08-30-2008, 09:18 PM
Nice way to not answer the question. Your position implies letting people die rather than help them. I want to know is this what you advocate. If not then what do you suggest we do when people get displaced because of a natural disaster?

Let me ask you this - if my $2.4 Million house gets foreclosed because I can't afford it and should have never bought it int he first place, should the government bail me out? Face it - we live in a nanny state and people feel the government should solve their every problem.

Now on to your question - I propose a reasonable solution. Something that gives bare necessities for a limited amount of time. What happened post-Katrina was unacceptable. Atlanta had people living in free hotels for months and months and had to bring in SWAT to get some of them out. Then the poor hotel owners had to completely remodel or in some cases, completely rebuild their hotels.

Oh, and the Louis Vuitton boutique at Lennox Mall had to close the day the free debit cards were handed out because they were rushed and sold out of literally EVERYTHING in the store. Yes, people with taxpayer-funded debit cards bought $1500 purses.

Now we have government-subsidized EVERYTHING in the gulf coast - Insurance, property taxes, mortgages.....

That sure as @#$% isn't the answer. Can we at least agree on that? I don't propose just letting people be homeless, but I hope you dont support the crazy handouts post-Katrina.

FlaGator
08-30-2008, 09:22 PM
Well, I live in a tornado prone area. Got hit last year. Don't recall any of the folks around here getting any FEMA money. The Red Cross came, which was great. But those who didnt have insurance were screwed.

I have a half destroyed house right down my street still stuck there because the guy didnt have insurance and nobody (including the govt) is paying to tear it down.

Clearly we have a difference of opinion here - you feel it is the government's job to subsidize assets, and I do not. I don't wish anyone harm, obviously, but I do wish that people who live in high risk areas (including the wildfire areas, etc that you mentioned) bear some of the responsibility.

By the way, if you live on the gulf coast its almost a mathematical certainty you WILL be affected by a hurricane in some way or another at least once every 10 years or so. Even in the most tornado-prone areas the probability of a tornado actually destroying your home is much less likely.

And in hurricanes you have advanced notice. Lots of it. That makes it unlike every other natural disaster known to man.

I have been through more hurricanes than I care to count. I live 25 miles fromt he coast. I have also volunteered to go into these affected areas after storms. I have seen the true sorrow and heart break that these people feel. Telling them that it's their own fault for living where the do doesn't seem to be the thing to do. Getting dirty and helping them get through it is much more satisfying than worrying about how much of my tax dollars are going to be spent.

It is not the govenment's job to take care of these people. Neither is it mine personally. Still I'm happy that the goverment does help out and I'm more than will to do what ever I can to help people when they need help. Better to be a part of the solution that bitch about the problem. Take some time to go help out after a storm. Trust me you won't be as concerned about your tax dollar when yhu get back home. In fact you probably won't be the same again.

OwlMBA
08-30-2008, 09:23 PM
I have been through more hurricanes than I care to count. I live 25 miles fromt he coast. I have also volunteered to go into these affected areas after storms. I have seen the true sorrow and heart break that these people feel. Telling them that it's their own fault for living where the do doesn't seem to be the thing to do. Getting dirty and helping them get through it is much more satisfying than worrying about how much of my tax dollars are going to be spent.

It is not the govenment's job to take care of these people. Neither is it mine personally. Still I'm happy that the goverment does help out and I'm more than will to do what ever I can to help people when they need help. Better to be a part of the solution that bitch about the problem. Take some time to go help out after a storm. Trust me you won't be as concerned about your tax dollar when yhu get back home. In fact you probably won't be the same again.

Which is why I give to the Red Cross and Salvation Army. I honestly think they do a better job of helping people than the government. And they are WAY more efficient with the money they have.

Tell ya what, here is what I would support - the government giving the money that goes to FEMA and distribute it to charities across the country. They could do a lot more with a lot less.

FlaGator
08-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Let me ask you this - if my $2.4 Million house gets foreclosed because I can't afford it and should have never bought it int he first place, should the government bail me out? Face it - we live in a nanny state and people feel the government should solve their every problem.

Now on to your question - I propose a reasonable solution. Something that gives bare necessities for a limited amount of time. What happened post-Katrina was unacceptable. Atlanta had people living in free hotels for months and months and had to bring in SWAT to get some of them out. Then the poor hotel owners had to completely remodel or in some cases, completely rebuild their hotels.

Oh, and the Louis Vuitton boutique at Lennox Mall had to close the day the free debit cards were handed out because they were rushed and sold out of literally EVERYTHING in the store. Yes, people with taxpayer-funded debit cards bought $1500 purses.

Now we have government-subsidized EVERYTHING in the gulf coast - Insurance, property taxes, mortgages.....

That sure as @#$% isn't the answer. Can we at least agree on that? I don't propose just letting people be homeless, but I hope you dont support the crazy handouts post-Katrina.

Katrina is not the rule. Can you name another event where people where still receiving help this long after a storm? I live in Florida, and that same year we got hit 4 times, including by Katrina. We recovered quickly and had some help from the feds. You keep harping on Katrina but it is not the norm. Again I ask, show me another situation like Katrina and I'll support your opinion.

You are using a singular event as the basis for an opinion while ignoring the hundred other times that the sitution worked as it should. You really should gather a larger sampling of data when formulating an opinion as important as the one your espousing.

It's funny dude. You are one of those people I feel I should like and just when I'm starting to find your views agreeable, you post something like this and I question how you can feel the way you do.

FlaGator
08-30-2008, 09:35 PM
Which is why I give to the Red Cross and Salvation Army. I honestly think they do a better job of helping people than the government. And they are WAY more efficient with the money they have.

Tell ya what, here is what I would support - the government giving the money that goes to FEMA and distribute it to charities across the country. They could do a lot more with a lot less.

Don't just give money. Go and help and see for yourself. I know your busy, so am I. I'm a VP at a Fortune 100 company so I know how hard it is to get away from work sometimes. Make the time. Instead of going fishing on vacation, burn some vacation time and help people who need help. Sign up with the Red Cross. In the case of storm recovery they would probably rather have your body and labor than your money.

That last part of your post is something I agree with whole heartedly. I volunteer for a food bank and we manage to take care of more needy people with the money they give us than they ever could. We don't have the red tape. In fact most of our decisions consist of me and my priest agreeing to something.

OwlMBA
08-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Katrina is not the rule. Can you name another event where people where still receiving help this long after a storm? I live in Florida, and that same year we got hit 4 times, including by Katrina. We recovered quickly and had some help from the feds. You keep harping on Katrina but it is not the norm. Again I ask, show me another situation like Katrina and I'll support your opinion.

You are using a singular event as the basis for an opinion while ignoring the hundred other times that the sitution worked as it should. You really should gather a larger sampling of data when formulating an opinion as important as the one your espousing.

It's funny dude. You are one of those people I feel I should like and just when I'm starting to find your views agreeable, you post something like this and I question how you can feel the way you do.

See, you kind of prove my point.

Florida is different because the people of Florida are different. Hate to say it, but its true. For the most part the people of Florida are much more prepared than places like NO. (Hopefully that has changed). A LOT of my family lives in Florida. On the coast too. They are prepared, insured, and evacuate at anything over Level 2. And they know that if their house gets destroyed, that just goes with "living in paradise" as they like to say. I think that is the right attitude. But when New Orleans acts surprised, that just doesn't sit well with me.

You Floridians are hurricane pros. I rode out two hurricanes in Florida in the last several years.

On edit: just saw your post above. I have been in Florida to help out family. Helped evacuate and clean up one time and we rode the second one out with minimal damage.

OwlMBA
08-30-2008, 09:41 PM
I'm a VP at a Fortune 100 company so I know how hard it is to get away from work sometimes.

There are Fortune 100 companies in Florida? Taking care of the nearly-dead must be big business!

:D:p

Just trying to lighten the mood.

FlaGator
08-30-2008, 09:43 PM
See, you kind of prove my point.

Florida is different because the people of Florida are different. Hate to say it, but its true. For the most part the people of Florida are much more prepared than places like NO. (Hopefully that has changed). A LOT of my family lives in Florida. On the coast too. They are prepared, insured, and evacuate at anything over Level 2. And they know that if their house gets destroyed, that just goes with "living in paradise" as they like to say. I think that is the right attitude. But when New Orleans acts surprised, that just doesn't sit well with me.

You Floridians are hurricane pros. I rode out two hurricanes in Florida in the last several years.

On edit: just saw your post above. I have been in Florida to help out family. Helped evacuate and clean up one time and we rode the second one out with minimal damage.

Oh... I apologize for cursing in my first post. That was very uncharacteristic of me but I had some "righteous indignation" working. I don't really think that you're an idiot so I shouldn't have said that. If I don't believe it I shouldn't say it. Helps to keep me straight with God and for me that is the most important thing.

FlaGator
08-30-2008, 09:44 PM
There are Fortune 100 companies in Florida? Taking care of the nearly-dead must be big business!

:D:p

Just trying to lighten the mood.

I work for a bank. It is said that we help create the dead.

OwlMBA
08-30-2008, 09:45 PM
Oh... I apologize for cursing in my first post. That was very uncharacteristic of me but I had some "righteous indignation" working. I don't really think that you're an idiot so I shouldn't have said that. If I don't believe it I shouldn't say it. Helps to keep me straight with God and for me that is the most important thing.

LOL

Hey man, I am as left-brained as they come but even I post out of emotion sometimes. For example, see the start of this thread! :D

FlaGator
08-30-2008, 09:48 PM
LOL

Hey man, I am as left-brained as they come but even I post out of emotion sometimes. For example, see the start of this thread! :D

And they lived happily ever after!;)

OwlMBA
08-30-2008, 09:51 PM
And they lived happily ever after!;)

Do we hold hands and sing kumbaya around the camp fire now?

:D

FlaGator
08-30-2008, 09:52 PM
Do we hold hands and sing kumbaya around the camp fire now?

:D

Something like that.... or we could just make fun of Blinky. That seems to be what he's here for.

OwlMBA
08-30-2008, 09:59 PM
Something like that.... or we could just make fun of Blinky. That seems to be what he's here for.

Good call! Let's unite for the common good!

SarasotaRepub
08-30-2008, 10:27 PM
Oh God, I'm going to be sick...

:p:D

OwlMBA
08-30-2008, 10:27 PM
Oh God, I'm going to be sick...

:p:D

Hey, who invited you to the love-fest?

:p