PDA

View Full Version : French Jets Shoot Down Libyan Warplane

Starbuck
03-24-2011, 09:26 AM
French fighter jets shot down a Libyan warplane, amid allegations that forces loyal to leader Col. Muammar Qaddafi violated the country's UN-sanctioned no-fly zone.

The Libyan warplane, a Soko G-2 Galeb, was flying over Misrata prior to being shot down by the French jets, a U.S. defense official told Fox News on Thursday. The incident is believed to be the first time a Libyan jet was sent into Libyan airspace since the coalition bombing began, and the first time a warplane was shot down since the coalition began bombing Libya.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/03/24/french-jets-reportedly-shoot-libyan-warplane-qaddafi-violates-fly-zone/#ixzz1HWjSgIVl

I wondered what kind of aircraft the Libyans were flying. Here's a picture; looks like something left over from Korea, fer Christ's sake.
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/row/galeb-g2s.jpg

Bailey
03-24-2011, 09:36 AM
shocked they didn't try surrendering to it.

fettpett
03-24-2011, 09:37 AM
WTG France, you're jets can take out a 60 year old jet!!

NJCardFan
03-24-2011, 12:07 PM
Remember who's running France now. Not exactly a bastion of leftism. Zarkozy is showing balls not shown since De Gualle...and he wasn't all that ballsy.

fettpett
03-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Remember who's running France now. Not exactly a bastion of leftism. Zarkozy is showing balls not shown since De Gualle...and he wasn't all that ballsy.

true...BUT it's still France

Odysseus
03-24-2011, 03:05 PM
I wondered what kind of aircraft the Libyans were flying. Here's a picture; looks like something left over from Korea, fer Christ's sake.
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/row/galeb-g2s.jpg

It's an antique. A Yugoslavian ground-attack aircraft from the early sixties. Not even Russian. The French should be proud, since this was the equivalent of a Ferrari outrunning a Yugo.

fettpett
03-24-2011, 04:59 PM
It's an antique. A Yugoslavian ground-attack aircraft from the early sixties. Not even Russian. The French should be proud, since this was the equivalent of a Ferrari outrunning a Yugo.

LMAO...more like a scooter

Odysseus
03-24-2011, 05:07 PM
LMAO...more like a scooter

Scooters are faster than Yugos. :D

fettpett
03-24-2011, 05:47 PM
Scooters are faster than Yugos. :D

um...true...

ok, make it a dying man clawing his way through the desert
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_6yUNdcXfZlE/SA4EmjMJ33I/AAAAAAAABBw/ty1cYeLMCas/s200/Sun+stroke.jpg

Zathras
03-24-2011, 06:51 PM
Actually they didn't shoot the Libyan aircraft down. The French aircraft that destroyed it hit it with an air-to-surface missile after it had landed because they couldn't get to it while it was in the air.

I actually hope we see some French fighters get into dogfights with the Libyan AF. I'm curious to see how the Rafale fighter does in actual air-to-air combat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dassault_Rafale

Starbuck
03-24-2011, 06:59 PM
The airplane pictured seems to have an honest-to-God machine gun poking out of the nose.

Does anyone actually engage in aerial dogfights any more? I don't think the U.S. has anything left that does that. Why bother when you can tell your missile to take him out and then be on your merry way?

fettpett
03-24-2011, 07:02 PM
Actually they didn't shoot the Libyan aircraft down. The French aircraft that destroyed it hit it with an air-to-surface missile after it had landed because they couldn't get to it while it was in the air.

I actually hope we see some French fighters get into dogfights with the Libyan AF. I'm curious to see how the Rafale fighter does in actual air-to-air combat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dassault_Rafale

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH thats even WORSE! what a Joke our allies are....

Zathras
03-24-2011, 07:07 PM
Does anyone actually engage in aerial dogfights any more? I don't think the U.S. has anything left that does that. Why bother when you can tell your missile to take him out and then be on your merry way?

Dogfight training still takes place for all US fighter pilots in the Navy, Air Force and Marines. Missiles don't always work as was found out early in Viet Nam. We had a 12 to 1 kill ratio in Korea but that dropped to 2 to 1 during Viet Nam because the dogfighting skills were not being taught. This resulted in schools such as Top Gun being created to teach the dogfighting skills that were lacking. Thanks to this the kill ratio was back to 12 to 1 by the end of the conflict in Viet Nam.

fettpett
03-24-2011, 07:11 PM
The airplane pictured seems to have an honest-to-God machine gun poking out of the nose.

yes, all US fighters have machine guns, most of them are hidden or pop out when needed. I believe most pilots are still trained in dog fighting Vietnam was a lesson that we need to still know how to dog fight

Zathras
03-24-2011, 07:21 PM
yes, all US fighters have machine guns, most of them are hidden or pop out when needed. I believe most pilots are still trained in dog fighting Vietnam was a lesson that we need to still know how to dog fight

The standard gun on US fighters currently is the General Electric M-61 Vulcan 20mm gatling gun. This weapon has a rate of fire of 6000 rounds per minute.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2395/2084725908_e81f28b141.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M61_Vulcan

PoliCon
03-24-2011, 07:31 PM
Clearly the french pilots were upset that the Libyans tried to surrender first.

Hawkgirl
03-25-2011, 10:25 AM
The French have bigger balls that we do.....The US has become weak in the eyes of the europeans under this administration. I bet Ghadafi woudln't have tried this crap under W's reign.

Odysseus
03-25-2011, 11:25 AM
Clearly the french pilots were upset that the Libyans tried to surrender first.
ROFLOL!

The French have bigger balls that we do.....The US has become weak in the eyes of the europeans under this administration. I bet Ghadafi woudln't have tried this crap under W's reign.
Qaddafi was afraid of Bush. Remember how he gave up his nuclear program (which no one asked him about) after Saddam was caught? The idea of spending his golden years in a spider hole, followed by a hanging, didn't appeal to him. Obama doesn't impress him.

PoliCon
03-25-2011, 06:55 PM
ROFLOL!

Qaddafi was afraid of Bush. Remember how he gave up his nuclear program (which no one asked him about) after Saddam was caught? The idea of spending his golden years in a spider hole, followed by a hanging, didn't appeal to him. Obama doesn't impress him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U7HWxGpukg

djones520
03-26-2011, 05:11 AM

We still train for it, and our aircraft are equipped for it.

During Vietnam we had the F-4 built without a Machine Gun to save weight because they thought missiles would be all that was necessary. That was until our F-4's were getting shot down left and right in close range dog fights.

Apache
03-26-2011, 09:17 AM
We still train for it, and our aircraft are equipped for it.

During Vietnam we had the F-4 built without a Machine Gun to save weight because they thought missiles would be all that was necessary. That was until our F-4's were getting shot down left and right in close range dog fights.

Yeah they had to put the F-4 gun in an external pod... THAT really helped with flight characteristics :rolleyes:

djones520
03-26-2011, 09:48 AM
Yeah they had to put the F-4 gun in an external pod... THAT really helped with flight characteristics :rolleyes:

That was a stop gap measure. They did eventually redesign the F-4 to have a gun system. But it tought our Air Forces a valuable lesson. Technology is good and all, but sometimes you just gotta get back to the basics.

I've been noticing a big problem with that in my career field today. No one trained in the last 5 years can forecast anymore. All they can do is regurgitate model information. They don't know any of the science behind it. Models go down, and we're shit out of luck.

Odysseus
03-26-2011, 10:29 AM
That was a stop gap measure. They did eventually redesign the F-4 to have a gun system. But it tought our Air Forces a valuable lesson. Technology is good and all, but sometimes you just gotta get back to the basics.

I've been noticing a big problem with that in my career field today. No one trained in the last 5 years can forecast anymore. All they can do is regurgitate model information. They don't know any of the science behind it. Models go down, and we're shit out of luck.

I have a similar concern about land nav. Kids who know how to use a GPS don't know how to use a compass and protractor unless we teach them extensively. And don't get me started on templating on a map without the various C2 systems.

Apache
03-26-2011, 10:34 AM

That's like when the US Navy lost the war games against the "terrorists", because the "terrorists" dumped modern tech to blind our efforts....

Just because its old doesn't mean it doesn't still work. ;)