PDA

View Full Version : Nobody Needs a Tablet. So Why Are We Gobbling Them Up?

Gingersnap
03-24-2011, 04:34 PM
Nobody Needs a Tablet. So Why Are We Gobbling Them Up?

* By Brian X. Chen Email Author
* March 24, 2011 |
* 12:59 pm |
* Categories: Tablets and E-Readers
Apple’s iPad is just one year old, and more than 15 million customers have voted with their wallets. The tablet is officially mainstream.

But just what is a tablet good for? It’s not a complete replacement of a PC and it’s not a necessity for anyone who carries around a notebook or a smartphone. At best, it’s a “tweener” device.

For a product category that didn’t exist (except in niche form) a year ago, it’s surprising how well the tablet is doing. It’s as if a mainstream product appeared out of nowhere. Indeed, most tech experts underestimated how many iPads would sell in year one.

If it’s not a necessity, doesn’t do many things as well as a notebook and lacks the portability of a smartphone, what’s the key to its success?

Perhaps the best gadget to compare with the iPad is the microwave oven, says tech writer Matthew Guay. Succeeding the conventional oven, the microwave oven could heat food faster and use less energy. Even though it wasn’t as good at cooking as an oven, and it wasn’t obvious why anyone would want a microwave, the microwave became a staple in practically every home, because people kept finding new ways to use this technological wonder.

It seems like the same thing is happening with tablets.

“Everyone thought the iPad needed traditional computer programs to be successful. After all, if you can’t use Office, what’s it good for?” Guay wrote.

And then customers bought them, took them home, and something special happened. They realized that reading eBooks or browsing the internet from their couch was nice on a tablet. They found things they would have never thought to do on a computer were fun and simple. Apps that never made sense on computers with keyboards and mice, like GarageBand and finger paint apps and eReaders, suddenly found life on a 9.7-inch slate of glass and metal.

Indeed, it turns out that a tablet needn’t do everything that a more powerful PC can, according to multiple research studies on iPad usage. Rather, the tablet’s main appeal lies in the approachable touchscreen interface that just about anybody at any age can pick up and figure out.

As you might expect, the top three things consumers have been doing with iPads are surfing the web, writing and checking e-mail and playing games, according to a study published last year by NPD Group. iPad owners are also watching video and reading e-books, and the device’s light weight and portability make it a real crowd-pleaser, NPD found.

“While lots of choices and compromises go into the development of any product, especially something as different as the iPad, these results indicate that most consumers are satisfied with their purchase and are increasingly finding ways to interact with their iPad,” NPD wrote.

Additionally, a casual poll conducted by Gadget Lab on Twitter asked the question “What do you do with your iPad?” and the majority of respondents said they used the tablet for browsing the web, reading (books and/or news articles) and social networking.

The minority of respondents to Gadget Lab’s poll said they used the iPad for special purposes such as recording music, writing poetry and teaching in class from book notes.

“Read, use it to teach from (presentation notes in iBooks) and email,” said iPad owner Josh Smith, in a Twitter reply to Gadget Lab. “Occasionally write up posts in bed w/ silent keyboard.”

As for apps, the most frequently downloaded apps are in the Games, Entertainment and Utilities categories. However, TruVoipBuzz looked closely at the numbers and found that those top three categories only account for 46 percent of apps that attracted the most downloads.

The minute I saw the first iPad I instinctively understood how cool this thing could be. I think tech writers are kind of like literary critics. They're attracted to the weirdly novel or the needlessly complex and they tend to dismiss fluff-tech that just amuses the heck out of everybody else.

Wired (http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/03/ipad-usage/)

Novaheart
03-24-2011, 04:41 PM
The minute I saw the first iPad I instinctively understood how cool this thing could be. I think tech writers are kind of like literary critics. They're attracted to the weirdly novel or the needlessly complex and they tend to dismiss fluff-tech that just amuses the heck out of everybody else.

Wired (http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/03/ipad-usage/)

I understand why people want an ipad, I just don't understand why they buy one. I want one too. I also want an iPod, an iPhone, and a monster iMac. But I have little or no use for an iPod or ipad, I have a working cellphone and don't really care for the ergonomics of the iPhone, and to use the iMac I would have to go sit at a desk. Besides, these things cost money, and like this Macbook, even though they will stay functional and current longer than non-apple counterparts, they WILL eventually be outdated.

fettpett
03-24-2011, 04:50 PM
waste of money

Rockntractor
03-24-2011, 04:52 PM
waste of money

I just can't see a big nipple with an ipad.

Gingersnap
03-24-2011, 04:52 PM
I understand why people want an ipad, I just don't understand why they buy one. I want one too. I also want an iPod, an iPhone, and a monster iMac. But I have little or no use for an iPod or ipad, I have a working cellphone and don't really care for the ergonomics of the iPhone, and to use the iMac I would have to go sit at a desk. Besides, these things cost money, and like this Macbook, even though they will stay functional and current longer than non-apple counterparts, they WILL eventually be outdated.

I can see a tablet simply replacing some current tech for me. If they could cram a Bluetooth phone into one, I'd be sold.

fettpett
03-24-2011, 04:53 PM
I just can't see a big nipple with an ipad.

but one can see a big nipple ON an Ipad

fettpett
03-24-2011, 04:54 PM
I can see a tablet simply replacing some current tech for me. If they could cram a Bluetooth phone into one, I'd be sold.

you can skype on it, and the new ones have camera's on both sides

Articulate_Ape
03-24-2011, 05:05 PM
you can skype on it, and the new ones have camera's on both sides

I can Skype using my Blackberry and I HATE webcams.

fettpett
03-24-2011, 05:17 PM
I can Skype using my Blackberry and I HATE webcams.

I do too...my laptop has one, but never use it...

Rockntractor
03-24-2011, 05:20 PM
I do too...my laptop has one, but never use it...

Ginger watches you all the time.

fettpett
03-24-2011, 05:24 PM
Ginger watches you all the time.

thats no fun....I want to watch Ginger ;) :D

Rockntractor
03-24-2011, 05:26 PM
thats no fun....I want to watch Ginger ;) :D

She put a piece of duck tape over it a couple weeks ago.:(

fettpett
03-24-2011, 05:31 PM
She put a piece of duck tape over it a couple weeks ago.:(

:eek::mad: damn it, I always miss the good stuff

hampshirebrit
03-24-2011, 05:45 PM
The iPad 2 is released in the UK tomorrow. I am driving downtown tomorrow lunch-time to get one.

Why? Because I want one, and I damn well deserve one, so I shall damn well have one. :D

JB
03-24-2011, 07:16 PM
People buy them because Apple makes you think you're cool if you have one.

It's no different than voting for Obama in '08.

Gingersnap
03-24-2011, 09:34 PM
People buy them because Apple makes you think you're cool if you have one.

It's no different than voting for Obama in '08.

I don't get the hate for the iPad. Even if you hate Apple, there are other competing tablets out there.

If I want to maintain some databases or run my financial software or mirror my workstation, I'll use my desktop - not a phone.

People like the idea of tablets because tablets do what most people use computers for 95% of the time: surfing the Internet, buying stuff off Amazon, reading books, mags, and blogs, commenting, using social media, and reading email or IMing. That you can also play games, watch movies, and manipulate music downloads as well as managing pix and clips is awesome.

I think most tablet-haters are men who refuse to accept a device that may require more than a hip pocket in terms of storage space.

Phillygirl
03-24-2011, 09:39 PM
I admit, I really want one. I don't use my home computer for anything heavy duty, and the i-pad would be perfect for it.

PoliCon
03-24-2011, 10:09 PM
I'd love to a notepad developed as a replacement for textbooks. Imagine only having to update your text book instead of having to buy new editions. It would save schools a bundle.

Rockntractor
03-24-2011, 10:15 PM
I'd love to a notepad developed as a replacement for textbooks. Imagine only having to update your text book instead of having to buy new editions. It would save schools a bundle.

and get rid of those massive backpacks.

PoliCon
03-24-2011, 10:16 PM
and get rid of those massive backpacks.

and the original design would only allow one app to run at a time which is a problem with laptops - kids on other software when they are supposed to be doing something else.

Rockntractor
03-24-2011, 10:23 PM
and the original design would only allow one app to run at a time which is a problem with laptops - kids on other software when they are supposed to be doing something else.

I would bet it is already in the works. With wifi assignments and tests could be graded by the teacher without even handing them in, they would upload automatically when due.

megimoo
03-24-2011, 10:25 PM
I don't get the hate for the iPad. Even if you hate Apple, there are other competing tablets out there.

If I want to maintain some databases or run my financial software or mirror my workstation, I'll use my desktop - not a phone.

People like the idea of tablets because tablets do what most people use computers for 95% of the time: surfing the Internet, buying stuff off Amazon, reading books, mags, and blogs, commenting, using social media, and reading email or IMing. That you can also play games, watch movies, and manipulate music downloads as well as managing pix and clips is awesome.

I think most tablet-haters are men who refuse to accept a device that may require more than a hip pocket in terms of storage space.
How is that so when most business men who require an out of office device to carry documentation and active programs already carry a laptop ?Again cells phones are for communication, computers are for work .Would you carry an Ipad just to use your cell phone or would you eventually require both ?

How is an Ipad any better than a laptop ?The major complaint I have with a non desktop computer is the mouse.To me a removable wireless mini mouse would be a far better design in a laptop than an mouse pad !Laptops already have built in links to networking as it is for a few bucks more a wireless mouse link would be a simple addition and Laser mice don't require a ball pad !

Ipads seem to me to be clumsy to use .In order to use one it's either flat on a surface or propped up on your lap or on your knee.The design seems to emulate writing on a piece of paper flat on a desk yet the it doesn't use a stylus but a keyboard .The only effective way to enter data or commands is to prop it up somehow so as to enable easy viewing .

From a pragmatic viewpoint an Ipad is an laptop where the display has been drawn into the keyboard and absorbed by it,roughly half an laptop .The goal seems to have been make it smaller and smarter looking but less practical to use .

It turns out it's more of a forced application of computer hardware,something doable that is rather clumsy to use .Again where is it more useful than a laptop ?

To expand on the application the Ipad does make sense as an reading device ,sort of a like large kindle .The design would be better if it folded in half like a book and the text were able to cross from one side to the other transparently,sort of like Microsofts original pad concept .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXjsqsmLSMg

PoliCon
03-24-2011, 10:25 PM
I would bet it is already in the works. With wifi assignments and tests could be graded by the teacher without even handing them in, they would upload automatically when due.

Problem is - the text book industry is a very powerful lobby. This technology would cut very VERY deeply into their profits.

Gingersnap
03-24-2011, 10:39 PM
Ipads seem to me to be clumsy to use .In order to use one it's either flat on a surface or propped up on your lap or on your knee.The design seems to emulate writing on a piece of paper flat on a desk yet the it doesn't use a stylus but a keyboard .The only effective way to enter data or commands is to prop it up somehow so as to enable easy viewing .

iPads have an optional cover that not only protects the device but functions as a prop for the device to give it 2 different angles for the user. I have no problem with the touch pad. There are a few solutions for keyboarding depending on your own inclinations including mouse solutions.

Men simply don't like the size. For women, this is mostly a non-issue.

Rockntractor
03-24-2011, 10:44 PM
Problem is - the text book industry is a very powerful lobby. This technology would cut very VERY deeply into their profits.

When we buy electronic books for my wifes kindle we pay close to the paperback published price, they could set it up where they would still make there money.

Rockntractor
03-24-2011, 10:45 PM
Men simply don't like the size. For women, this is mostly a non-issue.

Size does matter!

PoliCon
03-24-2011, 10:47 PM
When we buy electronic books for my wifes kindle we pay close to the paperback published price, they could set it up where they would still make there money.

Most new editions of text books have very VERY minor changes in them - furthermore - electronic textbooks would not wear out. I understand what you're saying - but it will be a VERY hard fight.

Rockntractor
03-24-2011, 10:49 PM
Most new editions of text books have very VERY minor changes in them - furthermore - electronic textbooks would not wear out. I understand what you're saying - but it will be a VERY hard fight.

With user specific passwords and non transferability they could possibly make more money and kill the used textbook market.

PoliCon
03-24-2011, 10:52 PM
With user specific passwords and non transferability they could possibly make more money and kill the used textbook market.

College is a different matter all together - there is no used textbook market for high school text books.

Rockntractor
03-24-2011, 10:54 PM
College is a different matter all together - there is no used textbook market for high school text books.

I know at the public schools I went to there wasn't, but in private high school we bought them used each year.

megimoo
03-24-2011, 11:03 PM
[QUOTE=Gingersnap;390563]
IPads have an optional cover that not only protects the device but functions as a prop for the device to give it 2 different angles for the user. I have no problem with the touch pad. There are a few solutions for keyboarding depending on your own inclinations including mouse solutions.

Here's an example of the trend to convert the Ipad into a laptop .again wheres the Ipad advantage over a laptop ?
http://www.zagg.com/accessories/zaggmate-ipad-case

fettpett
03-24-2011, 11:28 PM
It would be easy to do, College text books can bet put on 3 devices and only last a few months. same thing could be done with high school text books. A Kindle/ipad type device could be made available to students that are restricted so nothing could be installed on them, the schools put on what books the student needs for their classes.

The textbook industry is one of the biggest rackets in the US. it's BS

megimoo
03-24-2011, 11:46 PM
It would be easy to do, College text books can bet put on 3 devices and only last a few months. same thing could be done with high school text books. A Kindle/ipad type device could be made available to students that are restricted so nothing could be installed on them, the schools put on what books the student needs for their classes.

That and the concept of eternal copyrights .Once something is written and made available to the public it seems to me to make sense to put it into the public domain after a reasonable period,say seven years

Most college professors don't teach these days,the graduate TA do.The professors write and publish text books .Every semester the required text books change and most new texts are written,usually by the department head.

megimoo
03-25-2011, 12:10 AM

The Kindle base system has the ability to remove the books from your kindle anytime they care to as long as your link is active.The same could be done with college text books on a Kindle type reader. After every semester the book could be wiped from the reader .The concept has another advantage.

The Kindle type reader could carry every text required for the entire four years at once including reference books ,comments and summaries .The TA's that grade the students work use software to check against the work to make sure the work submitted is original and use plagiarism checkers to insure that is the case .

The trend these days is for those engaging in plagiarism to use word displacement software to defeat the plagiarism checkers .It rewrites the key words and phrases in several different ways then runs the new text against the checkers to make sure they slip through .Checkmate !

RobJohnson
03-25-2011, 01:56 AM

Tablets are not new, they have been around for years. Body shop estimators & adjusters had them back in the 90's...they also had lots of problems, like hard to see in sunlight & screen damage. Without a key board any thing they typed were full of typos..

I have looked at them & passed for now.

I have a couple nice laptops. I have a 32g iPod touch that has wi-fi, I have a Droid smart phone...I just don't see the need for an iPad right now, plus I hate fingerprints. It would be worse if I had OCD. :p

RobJohnson
03-25-2011, 02:01 AM
I know at the public schools I went to there wasn't, but in private high school we bought them used each year.

I also went to a private high school and some books had to be bought. The good news is the school had a printing press and some were paperback & not very expensive.

RobJohnson
03-25-2011, 02:09 AM
I admit, I really want one. I don't use my home computer for anything heavy duty, and the i-pad would be perfect for it.

That could be an exception to my comments. :)

If you just left it at home, or took it on a trip to keep in touch, that would be handy. But if you had to buy a keyboard, a stand, and all that other stuff, then it's more to carry around...so you are better off with a laptop. Just my opnion...

I have co-workers that let their kids play on the iPad before bedtime...they break. (the iPad, not the kids)

linda22003
03-25-2011, 07:55 AM
but one can see a big nipple ON an Ipad

Guys who spend less time with their computers can actually see them in REAL LIFE. :p

fettpett
03-25-2011, 08:23 AM
Guys who spend less time with their computers can actually see them in REAL LIFE. :p

so do I :D

Gingersnap
03-25-2011, 09:29 AM
[QUOTE=Gingersnap;390563]
IPads have an optional cover that not only protects the device but functions as a prop for the device to give it 2 different angles for the user. I have no problem with the touch pad. There are a few solutions for keyboarding depending on your own inclinations including mouse solutions.

Here's an example of the trend to convert the Ipad into a laptop .again wheres the Ipad advantage over a laptop ?
http://www.zagg.com/accessories/zaggmate-ipad-case

You're making the mistake of thinking this is a replacement laptop - it isn't. If you look at the case you linked, you'll see that the iPad and case are still much, much thinner, lighter, and smaller than a laptop, notebook, or netbook.

I would guess that person using that kind of case with an iPad would probably only set up the keyboard when they were perched at a table in a coffee shop or bookstore (or at home). The rest of the time they'd just be noodling along reading books, blogs, or Twitter updates.

The article I posted made a very good point: tablets are the microwave ovens of the computing/entertainment device world. Sure, ovens, stoves, campfires, and blowtorches can do things that are impossible in a microwave but the people who use microwaves aren't making puff pastry or wedding cakes; they're reheating leftovers, boiling water for tea, and making popcorn.

Tablets are the same thing. People are using them in ways that the industry currently overlooks or doesn't care about.

Zafod
03-25-2011, 10:34 AM

have you see the HP touchpad?

enslaved1
03-25-2011, 01:51 PM
On the textbook replacement topic:
As soon as the iPad hit, my wife says "that's exactly what they have been trying to get made for schools to use since I was in college (for her education degree)" At issue is the fact that there is no way to keep kids from breaking or stealing the darn things. I don't care if the screen is bulletproof and the body is solid titanium, someone, somewhere will find a way to break the machine. Same if they all have DON"T BUY THIS PROPERTY OF USD 123 carved in 3 inch tall letters all over it and equally important, no matter how hard they lock down the system to keep only school activites and data on it, someone will find the holes in the gate and tell the world.

It's a great idea on a dozen levels, but the feasability just isn't there, sadly.

Gingersnap
03-25-2011, 02:40 PM
On the textbook replacement topic:
As soon as the iPad hit, my wife says "that's exactly what they have been trying to get made for schools to use since I was in college (for her education degree)" At issue is the fact that there is no way to keep kids from breaking or stealing the darn things. I don't care if the screen is bulletproof and the body is solid titanium, someone, somewhere will find a way to break the machine. Same if they all have DON"T BUY THIS PROPERTY OF USD 123 carved in 3 inch tall letters all over it and equally important, no matter how hard they lock down the system to keep only school activites and data on it, someone will find the holes in the gate and tell the world.

It's a great idea on a dozen levels, but the feasability just isn't there, sadly.

Maybe not for grade schools but there's a lot of interest in academic circles about the Entourage dualbooks.

One side is an ereader and you can write notes with a stylus, highlight text, create custom TOCs, etc. The other side is a tablet and you can move information from one side to the other. You can even open up a pic, illustration, or diagram on one side while continuing to read on the other. That's a killer feature for math, science, and art students.

Right now I think you have to move material to a laptop or desktop to upload it (as in turning in workbooks or tests) but I have no doubt they'll solve this problem in the next generation. It's pretty much perfect for college-level classroom use (both for students and instructors).

fettpett
03-25-2011, 04:27 PM
http://ereader.tradr.com/files/2010/01/entourage-systems-edge-ebook-reader-2010.png

yeah those are cool....I would get one of those over an Ipad or other tablet

Zafod
03-25-2011, 04:53 PM
http://ereader.tradr.com/files/2010/01/entourage-systems-edge-ebook-reader-2010.png

yeah those are cool....I would get one of those over an Ipad or other tablet

looks very much like the microsoft courier project that they dumped.

Zafod
03-25-2011, 04:55 PM
only the reviews look crappy...

http://www.wired.com/reviews/2010/03/pr_ereader_entourage/#

fettpett
03-25-2011, 06:07 PM
only the reviews look crappy...

http://www.wired.com/reviews/2010/03/pr_ereader_entourage/#

yeah, but it all looks like things that can be fixed...faster processor, changes to the interface, upgrade the touchscreen tech. Reducing the weight would be nice, but I understand that a tablet an ereader together would weigh more.

However the overall concept is awesome and i would give up my kindle for one (with the upgrades)

Rockntractor
03-25-2011, 06:09 PM

Does your husband know you do this?:confused:

Gingersnap
03-25-2011, 07:02 PM
yeah, but it all looks like things that can be fixed...faster processor, changes to the interface, upgrade the touchscreen tech. Reducing the weight would be nice, but I understand that a tablet an ereader together would weigh more.

However the overall concept is awesome and i would give up my kindle for one (with the upgrades)

It's perfect for classroom use with a couple of tweaks. All the university people I pal around with are excited by the concept. The Dualbook has almost everything a student attending a lecture really needs.

No tech device is going to meet all the needs of every user.

PoliCon
03-25-2011, 07:08 PM

can't make them expire - many fields keep their text books for reference materials. I know I kept all of my history text books from college.

fettpett
03-25-2011, 07:09 PM
It's perfect for classroom use with a couple of tweaks. All the university people I pal around with are excited by the concept. The Dualbook has almost everything a student attending a lecture really needs.

No tech device is going to meet all the needs of every user.

yeah, this is one aspect where I'd take a non-dedicated device for ease of use. School is a bitch with all the stuff that is needed and lugged around and I would gladly get rid of my textbooks and notebooks for something like this

PoliCon
03-25-2011, 08:01 PM
yeah, this is one aspect where I'd take a non-dedicated device for ease of use. School is a bitch with all the stuff that is needed and lugged around and I would gladly get rid of my textbooks and notebooks for something like this

And if there was a function that allowed you to take notes in it - all you would need to carry is the pad. Imagine how awesome that would be . . . .

fettpett
03-25-2011, 08:06 PM
And if there was a function that allowed you to take notes in it - all you would need to carry is the pad. Imagine how awesome that would be . . . .

it does allow for note taking, its on the e-ink side of the screen where you can do handwritten notes. I would still carry a pen and pencil for other papers and tests

Rockntractor
03-25-2011, 08:15 PM
it does allow for note taking, its on the e-ink side of the screen where you can do handwritten notes. I would still carry a pen and pencil for other papers and tests

You like to write on your hands too, don't you?:rolleyes:

Gingersnap
03-25-2011, 08:26 PM

You can also highlight and mark text for compiling your own personal summaries. You can also essentially write margin notes in books - something that has been forbidden for years. :eek:

fettpett
03-25-2011, 08:33 PM
You like to write on your hands too, don't you?:rolleyes:

yes....I do that just before each test....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

You can also highlight and mark text for compiling your own personal summaries. You can also essentially write margin notes in books - something that has been forbidden for years. :eek:

yeah...that would be nice...I hope they do some revamping for the next version of it, I think it would catch on very quickly if it had the upgraded tech, the tablet part doesn't have to be on par with an ipad, but the e-reader part can easily be on par with a Kindle

megimoo
03-25-2011, 09:25 PM

With the appropriate software an entire four years worth of text books,support notes and reference books could be loaded onto a Kindle type notebook reader .With enough hard disk storage it would be the one 'book' needed for the entire subject course.

And with the 4G Network and WiFi links study and testing could be relayed directly to the resident TA for grading anywhere in the world.

Again as poli says copyright is the blocking point .The holders of the copyright aren't about to give that cash cow up without a fight.The original copyright laws were established at seven years to give the small printers in England a chance to grow,recover the cost of typecasting and typesetting and make a small profit.It was never intended as a lifetime ownership .

The Ipad is close to the optimum design but before I'll buy I'll look long and hard at the competition.I'm leaning more towards the dual page book design.The Microsoft Courier
was promising and they are better positioned to deliver the software.Several other manufacturers have book type designed but either the price is too high or the design is not fully defined.

Most typed text is made up of caned paragraphs and phases. Why not a library of phrases
and connective words to simply cut and paste to form sentences .With a little practice it would be faster than typing and less error prone.With the addition of a small off screen stylus pad pen entry would be cleaner and less likely to damage/puncture the display .

Apple is about to release Ipad 2 but the Ipad 2 isn't considered an major change but more of an engineering fix.The real change will come with Ipad 3's release,Already in the works

"It's one of the barriers for school kids and college students to purchase an iPad where they want the ability to take notes by hand and draw in class ..The iPad would be an artist/illustrator's dream device..There's a reason why artists never used their fingers. It's just unnatural.. Stylus plus pressure sensitivity, and I'm sold .

PoliCon
03-25-2011, 09:38 PM
Now what I can see text book publishers doing is moving to online texts that students can stream in and pay a subscription for access.

megimoo
03-25-2011, 10:07 PM
Now what I can see text book publishers doing is moving to online texts that students can stream in and pay a subscription for access.

Yes but the price is still too high considering the lack of distribution,printing and material costs .For example a random book from Amazon ....Blood, Bones & Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef..[Hardcover]..Price: $14.30 plus shipping

Blood, Bones & Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef [Kindle Edition]
$12.99 includes free wireless delivery via Amazon Whispernet.

They save all of their publishing costs .you save $ 1.31 buying Kindle but you never actually possess the book,you are unable to loan it to another,you can't add it to your hard copy library,it's virtual vapor text .

fettpett
03-26-2011, 07:35 AM
Yes but the price is still too high considering the lack of distribution,printing and material costs .For example a random book from Amazon ....Blood, Bones & Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef..[Hardcover]..Price: $14.30 plus shipping

Blood, Bones & Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef [Kindle Edition]

They save all of their publishing costs .you save $ 1.31 buying Kindle but you never actually possess the book,you are unable to loan it to another,you can't add it to your hard copy library,it's virtual vapor text .

thats not true, You are allowed (depending on the publisher) to put a book on up to 6 devices (computer, kindle, ipad, iphone, android phone, or any combination) plus you can sideload books on to it.

while you don't own a hard copy, you can print off any pages you want.

Also the vast majority of Kindle books are 1/3 or less of the price of a hardcopy. Amazon doesn't set the price, unlike B&N, the publisher of the book does and thats why you see such wide diversity of prices. A majority of e-books are under $5 and a TON of them are in the $.99-2.99 price range

However, the e-book college text books that I've seen at school are between $30-75 and can only be put on 3 devices and disapeer after the semester. while that sucks it's still FAR cheaper than a hard copy which routinely run between $75-300 each

RobJohnson
03-27-2011, 04:34 AM

You can loan Kindle books to other Kindle owners!

You can even check out e-books from the libary.