PDA

View Full Version : Anchor No More: Couric 'out By June'

megimoo
03-25-2011, 07:54 PM
The CBS Evening News anchor is very likely to leave in June, and Scott Pelley is a top contender to replace her—but CBS is looking both within and outside the network, Howard Kurtz reports. Plus, behind the CBS News shakeup.

The search is on for Katie Couric’s successor.

The new CBS News chairman, Jeff Fager, is looking at candidates both within and outside the network, insiders say.

One strong contender if Couric vacates the anchor chair in early June, as now seems almost certain, is veteran newsman Scott Pelley. The 60 Minutes correspondent has long been a favorite of Fager, who doubles as the show’s executive producer. But with Fager taking a methodical approach to his first major decision, Pelley is not a lock. A few short weeks ago, the expectation in the Couric camp—after discussions with top CBS management—was that she would sign a new deal to stay in the anchor’s job through the 2012 elections as she figured out the next phase of her career. But the thinking on both sides has now changed as Couric has

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2011-03-25/katie-couric-likely-leaving-cbs-news-scott-pelley-leading-replacement/?cid=hp:mainpromo4#

Articulate_Ape
03-25-2011, 07:57 PM
I'd recommend that they get an American this time. :D

fettpett
03-25-2011, 08:02 PM
CBS should just drop their nightly newscast, not worth the time and effort they put into it...nobody watches it

PoliCon
03-25-2011, 08:05 PM
If they were smart they'd lure Shepard Smith away from Fox.

Articulate_Ape
03-25-2011, 08:25 PM
If they were smart they'd lure Shepard Smith away from Fox.

That's a good idea. And probably the smartest thing you have said since, "Both, zee plane."

Starbuck
03-25-2011, 08:28 PM
"Next phase of her career"? What a hoot.:D

I suggest 2 things:
1) GO
2) AWAY

Apocalypse
03-25-2011, 08:34 PM
Deadline has more on this.

By interesting serendipity, the news about the final Oprah show and the new round of speculation that Katie Couric will most likely leave the CBS Evening News anchor chair in June came in within minutes of each other today. The coincidence is intriguing as Couric is touted as a potential successor to Oprah Winfrey as she is preparing for her next career as a daytime talk show host.

Couric, of course, won't be a direct replacement for Oprah and not only because a whole year will separate Oprah's exit from daytime and Couric's expected arrival in fall 2012. Interestingly enough, Dr. Oz can claim that title. Of the 155 markets in which Oprah is not being replaced by a newscast, over 80, including 2 of the Top 5, went with Dr. Oz in the Oprah slot, more than all other talk shows combined. As for ratings supremacy, Judge Judy, who is already beating Oprah on a regular basis, is expected to become the undisputed new daytime queen, with Dr. Phil and Ellen also poised to get a boost.

But Couric is the biggest name to hit daytime syndication since Jane Pauley in 2004, and the media frenzy over the move is understandable. From a station group perspective, the NBC O&Os have the most openings and seem the most eager to go after a Couric-hosted show. The NBC stations now carry reruns of Bravo's The Real Housewives reality franchise. The deal is coming to an end and industry insiders believe it won't be renewed for next season. The stations may go with a show for next fall that would serve as a placeholder for Couric. Additionally, the NBC O&Os' deal for Nate Berkus expires in the fall of 2012, which could create another opening. "They are a very likely candidate for a Katie Couric syndicated show," one observer said of the NBC stations. On the production side, a high-profile project like a Katie Couric talker would be a shot in the arm for NBC's anemic syndication division, which was behind the disastrous Pauley show and has not produced a talk show since another ill-fated attempt, The Megan Mullally Show in 2006. I hear that new NBC Broadcast chairman Ted Harbert, who oversees both NBC's station group and domestic syndication unit, has been spearheading the efforts to woo former Today host Couric back to NBC, working with syndication veteran Ed Wilson, who has been advising Couric along with former NBC Uni CEO Jeff Zucker.

Gingersnap
03-25-2011, 08:35 PM
CBS should just drop their nightly newscast, not worth the time and effort they put into it...nobody watches it

No kidding. Who is the target audience for dinner time broadcast news anyway? Nobody under 50 watches it and even then, I'll bet the demographics skew hard to the over 65 crowd. :confused:

fettpett
03-25-2011, 08:38 PM
No kidding. Who is the target audience for dinner time broadcast news anyway? Nobody under 50 watches it and even then, I'll bet the demographics skew hard to the over 65 crowd. :confused:

probably, I don't turn the TV to anything worth watching till about 7ish, hell I rarely watch much on network TV as it is, usually cable

megimoo
03-25-2011, 09:44 PM
Deadline has more on this.

By interesting serendipity, the news about the final Oprah show and the new round of speculation that Katie Couric will most likely leave the CBS Evening News anchor chair in June came in within minutes of each other today. The coincidence is intriguing as Couric is touted as a potential successor to Oprah Winfrey as she is preparing for her next career as a daytime talk show host.

Couric, of course, won't be a direct replacement for Oprah and not only because a whole year will separate Oprah's exit from daytime and Couric's expected arrival in fall 2012. Interestingly enough, Dr. Oz can claim that title. Of the 155 markets in which Oprah is not being replaced by a newscast, over 80, including 2 of the Top 5, went with Dr. Oz in the Oprah slot, more than all other talk shows combined. As for ratings supremacy, Judge Judy, who is already beating Oprah on a regular basis, is expected to become the undisputed new daytime queen, with Dr. Phil and Ellen also poised to get a boost.

But Couric is the biggest name to hit daytime syndication since Jane Pauley in 2004, and the media frenzy over the move is understandable. From a station group perspective, the NBC O&Os have the most openings and seem the most eager to go after a Couric-hosted show. The NBC stations now carry reruns of Bravo's The Real Housewives reality franchise. The deal is coming to an end and industry insiders believe it won't be renewed for next season. The stations may go with a show for next fall that would serve as a placeholder for Couric. Additionally, the NBC O&Os' deal for Nate Berkus expires in the fall of 2012, which could create another opening. "They are a very likely candidate for a Katie Couric syndicated show," one observer said of the NBC stations. On the production side, a high-profile project like a Katie Couric talker would be a shot in the arm for NBC's anemic syndication division, which was behind the disastrous Pauley show and has not produced a talk show since another ill-fated attempt, The Megan Mullally Show in 2006. I hear that new NBC Broadcast chairman Ted Harbert, who oversees both NBC's station group and domestic syndication unit, has been spearheading the efforts to woo former Today host Couric back to NBC, working with syndication veteran Ed Wilson, who has been advising Couric along with former NBC Uni CEO Jeff Zucker.

Couric has a basic problem with people and they know it .Her smile is frozen and her look at times is enough to freeze the average persons blood.
She has the reputation of being a nasty bitch from those who work with or for her.She flies off the handle if news items that she reads during her broadcasts aren't just so and to her liking .She is grossly overpaid and few viewers watch her show.Her biggest mistake was her nasty Palin Interview ...She is Americas sweetheart no more .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JE9aVW7QaM&feature=fvwrel

Novaheart
03-25-2011, 10:20 PM
Why do we, as a nation, put up with this?

TV pays really well. There is no reason for hosts and news reader to not be stunningly good looking with perfect diction. Instead, we have an aging parade of affected defectives like Stone Phillips and chirpy harpies like Tricia Takanawa.

Gingersnap
03-25-2011, 10:25 PM
Why do we, as a nation, put up with this?

TV pays really well. There is no reason for hosts and news reader to not be stunningly good looking with perfect diction. Instead, we have an aging parade of affected defectives like Stone Phillips and chirpy harpies like Tricia Takanawa.

You remember that movie "I, Robot"? All news readers, TV "journalists", and discussion panel members should be replaced by those robots. You can't tell that we can go to the Moon but we can't build a smarter, better-looking, less annoying Katie Couric. :cool:

Arroyo_Doble
03-26-2011, 07:47 AM

That newscast, at its worst, still doubles the viewers (at least) of the most watched primetime cable news program.

Starbuck
03-26-2011, 08:46 AM
..........She has the reputation of being a nasty bitch from those who work with or for her.She flies off the handle if news items that she reads during her broadcasts aren't just so and to her liking .She is grossly overpaid and few viewers watch her show.Her biggest mistake was her nasty Palin Interview ...She is Americas sweetheart no more ....

Man, no screamin shit! Where is Jane Pauley when we need her?:)

Novaheart
03-26-2011, 11:27 AM
Man, no screamin shit! Where is Jane Pauley when we need her?:)

I loved her documentaries on gorillas.

Apache
03-26-2011, 12:57 PM
That's a good idea. And probably the smartest thing you have said since, "Both, zee plane."

Who's going first? You for writing, or me for laughing? :D

fettpett
03-26-2011, 01:51 PM
That newscast, at its worst, still doubles the viewers (at least) of the most watched primetime cable news program.

probably, only because not as many people have cable and they have many more choices. The thing is that CBS got Curic to replace Dan Blather because the show had tanked and had been in the #3 slot for 5-10 years. She was supposed to pull them out and put them on top, it didn't work because there wasn't enough draw. which means nobody watches it or cares.

With the Internet and other alternative forms of news, fewer and fewer people are watching the nightly news, especially in my age ground, which is where they will get the most new viewers.

MountainMan
03-26-2011, 09:27 PM
Well, considering that CBS has said it wants Charlie Sheen back, why not give him a chance..... :D

Apocalypse
04-06-2011, 09:27 AM
New twist in this tale.

Meredith Vieira Poised To Exit 'Today' (http://www.deadline.com/2011/04/meredith-vieira-poised-to-exit-today/)

Katie Couric, do you want your old job back? While media attention has been focused on Couric's pending departure from CBS Evening News, the anchor who succeeded her on Today, Meredith Vieira, is reportedly plotting an exit too. According to TVGuide Magazine, NBC News brass are still hopeful they would get the 57-year-old Vieira to stay beyond September, when her current contract expires, but chances appear slim. When Vieira's previous multi-year contract with Today was up last year, she only agreed to a one-year extension. And, after going outside to replace Couric in 2006, NBC may stick with homegrown talent this time, like Ann Curry or Natalie Morales. As for Vieira, she has discussed the possibly of leaving Today fairly recently. "I'll know when it's time to go, and I'm not afraid to go," Vieira said in an interview last October. "If I were to leave at the end of next year because it's time for me, I wouldn't jump into another show. I would look forward to not working, to traveling with (husband) Richard and carving out time for us. You're always doing something, if you are curious. It doesn't have to be a 9-to-5 job."

Seems no one wants that job..

noonwitch
04-06-2011, 01:25 PM
New twist in this tale.

Meredith Vieira Poised To Exit 'Today' (http://www.deadline.com/2011/04/meredith-vieira-poised-to-exit-today/)

Katie Couric, do you want your old job back? While media attention has been focused on Couric's pending departure from CBS Evening News, the anchor who succeeded her on Today, Meredith Vieira, is reportedly plotting an exit too. According to TVGuide Magazine, NBC News brass are still hopeful they would get the 57-year-old Vieira to stay beyond September, when her current contract expires, but chances appear slim. When Vieira's previous multi-year contract with Today was up last year, she only agreed to a one-year extension. And, after going outside to replace Couric in 2006, NBC may stick with homegrown talent this time, like Ann Curry or Natalie Morales. As for Vieira, she has discussed the possibly of leaving Today fairly recently. "I'll know when it's time to go, and I'm not afraid to go," Vieira said in an interview last October. "If I were to leave at the end of next year because it's time for me, I wouldn't jump into another show. I would look forward to not working, to traveling with (husband) Richard and carving out time for us. You're always doing something, if you are curious. It doesn't have to be a 9-to-5 job."

Seems no one wants that job..

That's too bad, I actually like Meredith better than I ever liked perky Katie. NBC should pick Ann Curry to replace her, though, because she's really good and she's a good sport about some of the morning news crap she has had to endure.

My favorite Today Show line up was Bryant Gumbel and Jane Pauley.

Odysseus
04-06-2011, 02:30 PM
You remember that movie "I, Robot"? All news readers, TV "journalists", and discussion panel members should be replaced by those robots. You can't tell that we can go to the Moon but we can't build a smarter, better-looking, less annoying Katie Couric. :cool:
Too easy.
http://www.jeffbots.com/fembot1.jpg

Not quite. In the first quarter of 2011, FOXNews was behind CBS by only about 60,000 viewers, which is not a lot, especially when you consider that Fox is only on cable. In addition, when you take Fox's 24/7 news forecasting into account, CBS's news division is lagging way behind in total viewership.

First Quarter 2011
Primetime | Total Viewers

1. Fox News 1,921,000
2. MSNBC 841,000
3. CNN 795,000
4. HLN 361,000

Primetime | 24-54-Year-Old Viewers

1. Fox News 470,000
2. CNN 269,000
3. MSNBC 263,000
4. HLN 115,000

Network Newscasts (Total Viewers | 24-54)
1. NBC 9,810,000 | 2,940,000
2. ABC 8,650,000 | 2,430,000
3. CBS 6,430,000 | 1,980,000

Well, considering that CBS has said it wants Charlie Sheen back, why not give him a chance..... :D
Winning!:D

fettpett
04-06-2011, 02:58 PM
If they were smart they would go after Elizabeth Hasselbeck or some other Conservative female to host, I might actually watch it....

Odysseus
04-06-2011, 03:17 PM
If they were smart they would go after Elizabeth Hasselbeck or some other Conservative female to host, I might actually watch it....

The operative words there are, "if they were smart." Besides, having a conservative anchor wouldn't mean anything if the producers are all doctrinaire liberals. It would just be tokenism.

fettpett
04-06-2011, 03:39 PM
The operative words there are, "if they were smart." Besides, having a conservative anchor wouldn't mean anything if the producers are all doctrinaire liberals. It would just be tokenism.

yeah, I know...

Arroyo_Doble
04-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Not quite. In the first quarter of 2011, FOXNews was behind CBS by only about 60,000 viewers, which is not a lot, especially when you consider that Fox is only on cable. In addition, when you take Fox's 24/7 news forecasting into account, CBS's news division is lagging way behind in total viewership.

First Quarter 2011
Primetime | Total Viewers

1. Fox News 1,921,000
2. MSNBC 841,000
3. CNN 795,000
4. HLN 361,000

Primetime | 24-54-Year-Old Viewers

1. Fox News 470,000
2. CNN 269,000
3. MSNBC 263,000
4. HLN 115,000

Network Newscasts (Total Viewers | 24-54)
1. NBC 9,810,000 | 2,940,000
2. ABC 8,650,000 | 2,430,000
3. CBS 6,430,000 | 1,980,000

Are you sure you aren't comparing Fox's total viewers with CBS' 24-54 demographic?

Odysseus
04-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Are you sure you aren't comparing Fox's total viewers with CBS' 24-54 demographic?

D'oh! I stand corrected.

PoliCon
04-06-2011, 11:01 PM
...........................NBC.................... ....ABC.......................CBS
• Total:...........9,810,000.............8,650,000.. ...........6,430,000
•25-54:..........2,940,000..............2,430,000..... .......1,980,000

You'd think with the way the left talks that fully half of America watches Fox every night. :rolleyes:

Odysseus
04-07-2011, 11:21 AM
...........................NBC.................... ....ABC.......................CBS
• Total:...........9,810,000.............8,650,000.. ...........6,430,000
•25-54:..........2,940,000..............2,430,000..... .......1,980,000

You'd think with the way the left talks that fully half of America watches Fox every night. :rolleyes:

If they did, Obama would still be in the Illinois State Senate.