PDA

View Full Version : PETA: Don't call animals 'it' in the Bible

FlaGator
03-26-2011, 09:44 AM
Our always amusing friends at PETA are suggesting...

PETA, the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, is calling for a more animal-friendly update to the Bible.
The group is asking translators of the New International Version (NIV) to remove what it calls "speciesist" language and refer to animals as "he" or "she" instead of "it."
The NIV is a popular translation of the Christian Bible. An updated translation was released this month. The translators said 95% of the 1984 translation remains the same. But the committee of scholars made a move to be more gender-inclusive in their translation into English from the original Hebrew and Greek texts. According to the Committee on Bible Translation's website (http://www.niv-cbt.org/niv-2011-overview/translators-notes/):

In general, much more often than not ... "People” and "humans” (and "human beings”) were widely used for Greek and Hebrew masculine forms referring to both men and women. ... "Ancestors” was regularly preferred to "forefathers” unless a specific, limited reference to the patriarchs or to another all-male group is intended.
PETA is hoping the move toward greater gender inclusiveness will continue toward animals as well.
“When the Bible moves toward inclusively in one area ... it wasn’t much of a stretch to suggest they move toward inclusively in this area," Bruce Friedrich, PETA's vice president for policy, told CNN.

Whole story is here (http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/23/peta-dont-call-animals-it-in-the-bible/)

Apache
03-26-2011, 10:05 AM
Another attempt to water down the true meaning of the Bible :rolleyes:

obx
03-26-2011, 12:33 PM
If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't of made them out of meat.

PoliCon
03-26-2011, 04:35 PM
I still say someone should let a couple of hungry polar bears loose during the next peta convention.

Rockntractor
03-26-2011, 04:38 PM

:D:D:Dx6

Articulate_Ape
03-26-2011, 07:45 PM
PETA has no credibility among the sane. They have been pwn'd so many times they have become a joke normal people tell at parties.

SaintLouieWoman
03-26-2011, 08:04 PM
PETA has no credibility among the sane. They have been pwn'd so many times they have become a joke normal people tell at parties.
They are not taken seriously with legitimate zoological institutions. In fact, I believe in many places active PETA members are screened even as a volunteer, let alone an employee. They might have done some good in the foggy past, but at this point they're just troublemakers and a joke.

Lanie
03-26-2011, 08:32 PM
The Bible says that man can use the animals for his purpose, so I really don't see the point in PETA trying to make the bible PETA friendly. lol

Articulate_Ape
03-26-2011, 09:27 PM
They are not taken seriously with legitimate zoological institutions. In fact, I believe in many places active PETA members are screened even as a volunteer, let alone an employee. They might have done some good in the foggy past, but at this point they're just troublemakers and a joke.

Indeed.

Gingersnap
03-28-2011, 10:18 AM
The Bible says that man can use the animals for his purpose, so I really don't see the point in PETA trying to make the bible PETA friendly. lol

As far as I know, God invented BBQ sauce. 'Nuff said. :cool:

Zafod
03-28-2011, 04:48 PM

and with that we end this thread.

BBQ ends all arguments!!!!

PoliCon
03-28-2011, 11:31 PM
and with that we end this thread.

BBQ ends all arguments!!!!

Arguments? who was arguing? :confused:

OH and your claim is invalid. BACON ends all arguments. :p

noonwitch
03-29-2011, 08:50 AM
Another attempt to water down the true meaning of the Bible :rolleyes:

Hasn't the NIV already done that?

fettpett
03-29-2011, 11:35 AM
Hasn't the NIV already done that?

yep...

besides how many times are animals referred to in the Bible for it to actually matter?

Wei Wu Wei
03-29-2011, 11:38 AM
i've got a weird personal goal to eat as many different kinds of animals as i can. if i'm at a resturant and i see some sort of animal that i haven't tasted yet i must order it

Gingersnap
03-29-2011, 11:57 AM
i've got a weird personal goal to eat as many different kinds of animals as i can. if i'm at a resturant and i see some sort of animal that i haven't tasted yet i must order it

I'm with you. If I've never eaten it, I always order it. God wants me to eat a least one portion of every tasty thing on the planet. :)

Wei Wu Wei
03-29-2011, 11:58 AM
my stomach is like noah's ark

Gingersnap
03-29-2011, 12:58 PM
my stomach is like noah's ark

LMAO! :D

Apache
03-29-2011, 02:31 PM

OMG! The Earth has stopped! A wierd alternate universe has emerged!

We have something in common!!!!

RobJohnson
03-29-2011, 05:42 PM
yep...

besides how many times are animals referred to in the Bible for it to actually matter?

http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/dmo0063l.jpg

MrsSmith
03-29-2011, 07:08 PM

He made the first leather clothing, also. :D

Odysseus
03-30-2011, 05:21 PM
LOL! And if meat is murder, are eggs rape?

I still say someone should let a couple of hungry polar bears loose during the next peta convention.
Only if you have a vet standing by to treat the bears for acute indigestion. Some things are genuinely cruel to animals, and trying to swallow an unwashed PETA member is one of them.

yep...

Didn't Mary ride Joseph's ass all the way to Bethlehem, or was that about PMS?

I know that you've eaten crow here often enough, even if you never admit it.

PoliCon
03-30-2011, 11:07 PM
damn smart ass jews! :mad:

:D:p

Articulate_Ape
03-31-2011, 01:16 AM
There were giants mentioned in the Bible, but I can't remember the mention of a single midget. Unless they were all midgets and the giants were regular guys surrounded by a bunch of damn midgets. That would have sucked.

Odysseus
03-31-2011, 09:58 AM
damn smart ass jews! :mad:
:D:p
Don't make me go all Old Testament on you.

There were giants mentioned in the Bible, but I can't remember the mention of a single midget. Unless they were all midgets and the giants were regular guys surrounded by a bunch of damn midgets. That would have sucked.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_WAi2txkagVM/SmoHkS7eavI/AAAAAAAAGeA/51ZOQmK6fvs/s400/midgets_wrestling_fighting.jpg
Does that mean that the sermon on the mount was actually held on level ground, but it looked like a mount because everyone was a midget?

fettpett
03-31-2011, 10:32 AM
Does that mean that the sermon on the mount was actually held on level ground, but it looked like a mount because everyone was a midget?

it was a mole hill ;) :D:D

PoliCon
03-31-2011, 04:12 PM
Don't make me go all Old Testament on you. Please. If my Jewish mother doesn't scare me how on earth are you gonna do the job? :p

Odysseus
03-31-2011, 05:41 PM
Please. If my Jewish mother doesn't scare me how on earth are you gonna do the job? :p

I'll make you pay retail. :D

PoliCon
03-31-2011, 05:56 PM
I'll make you pay retail. :D

:mad: You wouldn't DARE! :mad:

:D

fettpett
03-31-2011, 06:02 PM
:mad: You wouldn't DARE! :mad:

:D

nah...he's bluffing

he'll make you pay triple ;)