PDA

View Full Version : Geraldine Ferraro Dead at 75

marv
03-26-2011, 11:40 AM
Geraldine Ferraro, the trailblazing 1984 vice presidential nominee, died Saturday at Massachusetts General Hospital surrounded by her family, NBC News confirmed. She was 75.

Ferraro died of complications from multiple myeloma, a blood cancer that she had battled for 12 years, according to a statement from her family.
Source (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42283362/ns/politics-more_politics/)

bijou
03-26-2011, 11:40 AM
http://tnaron.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/geraldine-ferraro.jpg

Geraldine A. Ferraro, who earned a place in history in 1984 as the first woman to run on a major party national ticket for vice president, has died. She was 75-years-old.

Ferraro, who was born in Newburgh, New York, passed away today at Massachusetts General Hospital, surrounded by her loved ones, a statement from her family read.

The cause of death was complications from multiple myeloma, a blood cancer that she had battled for twelve years, her family said.

Geraldine Anne Ferraro Zaccaro earned a place in history as the first woman and first Italian-American to run on a major party national ticket, serving as Walter Mondale's Vice Presidential running mate in 1984 on the Democratic Party ticket. ...

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Geraldine-Ferraro-Dead-at-75-118706824.html

Apache
03-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Meh....

Rockntractor
03-26-2011, 01:44 PM
She was nice to Sarah Palin so I think she softened in her later years. She had much more class than most liberal woman and I wish the rest would follow her example.

Calypso Jones
03-26-2011, 02:24 PM
I don't think Ferrarro had any other choice but to be nice and i didn't get the feeling that it was warmth.

regardless. I'm not in the habit of saying nice things about my political enemies.

Calypso Jones
03-26-2011, 02:30 PM
Actually, i'm surprised she made it this long. I saw her a few months ago on television and she was bloated. I knew then she wasn't doing well.

Phillygirl
03-26-2011, 02:39 PM
She was nice to Sarah Palin so I think she softened in her later years. She had much more class than most liberal woman and I wish the rest would follow her example.

I saw a piece with her and Palin together, and I have to agree that she had a lot of class and comported herself well in that. Both she and Palin appeared to have a mutual respect for each other.

She definitely earned her place in history.

Rockntractor
03-26-2011, 02:45 PM
I don't think Ferrarro had any other choice but to be nice and i didn't get the feeling that it was warmth.

regardless. I'm not in the habit of saying nice things about my political enemies.

No, I felt a genuine honesty in her in the later years where as I had no respect for her when she ran for vice president. A lot of people mellow and become wiser when they are old.

Articulate_Ape
03-26-2011, 03:15 PM
She had much more class than most liberal woman and I wish the rest would follow her example.

And die?

Rockntractor
03-26-2011, 03:20 PM
And die?

We will all be doing that anyway, perhaps for me the worse thing about this is that I remember her running for office when she was my age now.

Bailey
03-26-2011, 03:28 PM
I'll try not to say anything bad when a Dirt Bag Liberal dies so I will hold my tongue.

And sympathies to the family :(

FlaGator
03-26-2011, 03:44 PM
I'll try not to say anything bad when a Dirt Bag Liberal dies so I will hold my tongue.

And sympathies to the family :(

May she rest in peace.

Odysseus
03-26-2011, 04:07 PM
She was honest when it came to Obama's lack of qualifications, and her willingness to reach out to Palin also implies that she had principles that went beyond the simple pursuit of power. If all Democrats were like her, the party would at least be honest about what it espouses and we'd be having a national debate instead of a knife fight.

RIP.

Bubba Dawg
03-26-2011, 06:01 PM
Politics is a street fight. I don't mind. In fact, I expect it.

But when a member of the other side is sick or dies I'll usually express condolences.

Thoughts and prayers for her family. :(

lacarnut
03-26-2011, 06:05 PM
She was honest when it came to Obama's lack of qualifications, and her willingness to reach out to Palin also implies that she had principles that went beyond the simple pursuit of power. If all Democrats were like her, the party would at least be honest about what it espouses and we'd be having a national debate instead of a knife fight.

RIP.

I was impressed with her interview with Palin. Palin also handled herself very well and gave Ferraro her due. Bless her and her family.

Kay
03-26-2011, 06:26 PM
That makes two - Elizabeth Taylor and Geraldine.
It always comes in 3's so wonder who will be next.

I totally disagreed with Geraldine's politics, but as said above she had class.
Even back in her younger days, I don't ever remember her being the vicious
rabid type of democrat you see today. She was from that older generation
like a Zell Miller, that had a sense of decency and American values, even if
too far to the left.

SaintLouieWoman
03-26-2011, 07:08 PM
I didn't agree with her politics, but she did have class (compared to the others). I wonder if some of the current rabid dems will mellow.

May she rest in peace and condolences to her family.

Calypso Jones
03-26-2011, 07:27 PM
And die?

LoL

good/one.

Calypso Jones
03-26-2011, 07:28 PM
That makes two - Elizabeth Taylor and Geraldine.
It always comes in 3's so wonder who will be next.

I totally disagreed with Geraldine's politics, but as said above she had class.
Even back in her younger days, I don't ever remember her being the vicious
rabid type of democrat you see today. She was from that older generation
like a Zell Miller, that had a sense of decency and American values, even if
too far to the left.

OH so mANY and only one spot to fill.

Calypso Jones
03-26-2011, 07:36 PM
what is it with conservatives when someone like this dies. I MEAN YOU CAN"T LIVE FOREVER!! Maybe she'll be a trailblazer for other decrepid old democrats like conyers, rangel, dingle, and the old women who will NOT leave unless they are carried out feet first. She had LESS qualifications than Palin.>>HELL even OBama has more qualifications than Ferraro. THEN you have the scandals that came almost immediately. Failure to pay taxes (SHOCKER), improprieties with a trust fund that her husband oversaw, etc that sorta dried up the mondale ferraro ticket. And history said, libs control the history books, that her candidacy had no impact on the outcome one way or another.

2 failed senate runs. THAT oughta tell you something. We REALLY need to get past the idea of memorializing these stinking politicians. THe democrat MEN are bad enough. But BEING A WOMAn I am well aware of the failures of liberal women in positions of authority. And she was no different.

Do i have sympathy. No. I don't KNOW the woman and probably wouldn't care to. She has friends and family. Let them sympathize, empathize and honor her memory. I have other pressing matters.

MountainMan
03-26-2011, 09:48 PM
what is it with conservatives when someone like this dies. I MEAN YOU CAN"T LIVE FOREVER!! Maybe she'll be a trailblazer for other decrepid old democrats like conyers, rangel, dingle, and the old women who will NOT leave unless they are carried out feet first. She had LESS qualifications than Palin.>>HELL even OBama has more qualifications than Ferraro. THEN you have the scandals that came almost immediately. Failure to pay taxes (SHOCKER), improprieties with a trust fund that her husband oversaw, etc that sorta dried up the mondale ferraro ticket. And history said, libs control the history books, that her candidacy had no impact on the outcome one way or another.

2 failed senate runs. THAT oughta tell you something. We REALLY need to get past the idea of memorializing these stinking politicians. THe democrat MEN are bad enough. But BEING A WOMAn I am well aware of the failures of liberal women in positions of authority. And she was no different.

Do i have sympathy. No. I don't KNOW the woman and probably wouldn't care to. She has friends and family. Let them sympathize, empathize and honor her memory. I have other pressing matters.

Then why post in this thread? The one thing that conservatives are known for over liberals is our true compassion, especially for those who actually need it.

Ferraro had class that is sorely lacking now in the democrat party. Her family is in my prayers and I pray she has found peace with God.

NJCardFan
03-26-2011, 11:36 PM
When I worked for American Airlines, I actually spoke to her on the phone concerning her reservation. She was very nice to me.

PoliCon
03-26-2011, 11:37 PM
What I remember best about her is how the left turned on her during the 2008 primaries.

RobJohnson
03-27-2011, 04:18 AM
I saw a piece with her and Palin together, and I have to agree that she had a lot of class and comported herself well in that. Both she and Palin appeared to have a mutual respect for each other.

She definitely earned her place in history.

I agree.

She fought a long battle with cancer. Prayers for her family.

My grandmother died of the same type of cancer...:mad:

RobJohnson
03-27-2011, 04:22 AM

There are other forums for pissing on graves. This is not one of them.

CueSi
03-27-2011, 05:59 AM
She was honest when it came to Obama's lack of qualifications, and her willingness to reach out to Palin also implies that she had principles that went beyond the simple pursuit of power. If all Democrats were like her, the party would at least be honest about what it espouses and we'd be having a national debate instead of a knife fight. RIP.

Pretty much. And Sarah was really diplomatic and sincere in her condolences, which says so much because I know (and I'm sure she knows too) much the Left's chattering classes will not be kind to Sarah Palin when she leaves this earth. Some people earn the phrase "loyal opposition" in earnest (rather than in sarcasm)...maybe it applies here?

~QC

CaughtintheMiddle1990
03-27-2011, 12:01 PM
Pretty much. And Sarah was really diplomatic and sincere in her condolences, which says so much because I know (and I'm sure she knows too) much the Left's chattering classes will not be kind to Sarah Palin when she leaves this earth. Some people earn the phrase "loyal opposition" in earnest (rather than in sarcasm)...maybe it applies here?

~QC

Common sense, even handed and classy. You get far too much crap around here.

noonwitch
03-29-2011, 09:29 AM
She'd been sick for a long time, I'm surprised she made it this long.

Odysseus
03-29-2011, 11:54 AM

~QC
Agreed. The term "loyal opposition" implies loyalty to the nation, even if you disagree with the policies of the party in power. That's gone by the wayside. I cannot imagine Democrats or Republicans of the WWII era trying to undermine the war effort for political gain, and anyone who tried would have been seen as a Quisling and treated appropriately. Today's left loathes the nation, and seeks power at any price.

Common sense, even handed and classy. You get far too much crap around here.

Yes, she does. Welcome to the fold.

Rebel Yell
03-29-2011, 12:08 PM
I agree.

She fought a long battle with cancer. Prayers for her family.

My grandmother died of the same type of cancer...:mad:

Start at the 7:40 mark. I couldn't find the shorter clip.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hk6NN1blCk