PDA

View Full Version : William H. Taft: The first Atheist or non-religious President?

CaughtintheMiddle1990
03-26-2011, 02:01 PM
Was doing a little reading, and I figured with all the hoorah over the past few years with regard to religion and Presidents (Bush's evangelicalism, Obama's questionable religious views, Romney's Mormonism):

Before becoming president, Taft was offered the presidency of Yale University, at that time affiliated with the Congregationalist Church; Taft turned the post down, saying, "I do not believe in the divinity of Christ."

If he was being truthful that statement, then he may have been our first truly non-religious, possibly Atheist president--He was raised Unitarian so he had no religious or family reason for not believing otherwise

Bailey
03-26-2011, 02:07 PM
Dude why do you have a obsession with past presidents? How about talking about a sports team or women? Just a suggestion.

Wei Wu Wei
03-26-2011, 02:17 PM
It's a symptom

Rockntractor
03-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Dude why do you have a obsession with past presidents? How about talking about a sports team or women? Just a suggestion.

He's a history buff, I enjoy it too and since I left high school Iv'e had zero interest in sports.

fettpett
03-26-2011, 02:32 PM
He's a history buff, I enjoy it too and since I left high school Iv'e had zero interest in sports.

same here, except I enjoy sports as well.

However CTM, don't get caught up in the idea that he was an atheist, he was not, he was a Unitarian which doesn't believe in the trinity Godhead of typical Christian denominations and thus don't believe that Jesus was/is God and there for isn't divine. This doesn't mean he wasn't religious, just couldn't accept a position at a Christian College that promoted the idea that Christ was divine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitarianism

Taft wasn't the only Unitarian President, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, John Quincy Adams, Millard Fillmore

CaughtintheMiddle1990
03-26-2011, 02:36 PM

However CTM, don't get caught up in the idea that he was an atheist, he was not, he was a Unitarian which doesn't believe in the trinity Godhead of typical Christian demoninations

Taft wasn't the only Unitarian President, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, John Quincy Adams, Millard Fillmore

Ah ok. I was unaware of that--I'm not at all familiar with Unitarianism.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
03-26-2011, 02:36 PM

I talk about women in the Lounge section. This is a politics forum, and politics is the only sport I enjoy. And I find our past presidents more interesting than the most recent few.

fettpett
03-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Ah ok. I was unaware of that--I'm not at all familiar with Unitarianism.

same here, I don't buy it, but thats my opinion.

fettpett
03-26-2011, 02:39 PM
It would be nice to have a History subforum too, but doubt that will happen :(

CaughtintheMiddle1990
03-26-2011, 03:31 PM
It would be nice to have a History subforum too, but doubt that will happen :(

I concur. Perhaps you, I and any interested others could petition for it?

PoliCon
03-26-2011, 04:22 PM
Was doing a little reading, and I figured with all the hoorah over the past few years with regard to religion and Presidents (Bush's evangelicalism, Obama's questionable religious views, Romney's Mormonism):

Before becoming president, Taft was offered the presidency of Yale University, at that time affiliated with the Congregationalist Church; Taft turned the post down, saying, "I do not believe in the divinity of Christ."

If he was being truthful that statement, then he may have been our first truly non-religious, possibly Atheist president--He was raised Unitarian so he had no religious or family reason for not believing otherwise

Actually - Taft was a unitarian not atheist.

fettpett
03-26-2011, 04:24 PM
Actually - Taft was a unitarian not atheist.

what? did you skip by the 4 post about it? :p

Rockntractor
03-26-2011, 04:27 PM

ADD or lack of oxygen.

PoliCon
03-26-2011, 04:28 PM

Who said anything about it? all I see are some posts basically telling CITM to get a life . . . .

Rockntractor
03-26-2011, 04:30 PM
Who said anything about it? all I see are some posts basically telling CITM to get a life . . . .

#5,6,8

fettpett
03-26-2011, 04:45 PM
um....Here's the relevant one Poli :p

However CTM, don't get caught up in the idea that he was an atheist, he was not, he was a Unitarian which doesn't believe in the trinity Godhead of typical Christian denominations and thus don't believe that Jesus was/is God and there for isn't divine. This doesn't mean he wasn't religious, just couldn't accept a position at a Christian College that promoted the idea that Christ was divine.

me's thinks you need glasses...maybe some trifocals like Rock has:D

Rockntractor
03-26-2011, 04:50 PM

They are working great too, nice to have them back!:D

PoliCon
03-26-2011, 04:56 PM

OOOHHH I just normally ignore your posts as incoherent ramblings about alien abductions and sex with bigfoot. :p

Rockntractor
03-26-2011, 04:58 PM
OOOHHH I just normally ignore your posts as incoherent ramblings about alien abductions and sex with bigfoot. :p

Point well taken.:confused:

fettpett
03-26-2011, 05:07 PM

idk about aliens:rolleyes:, but those female bigfoot are some sexy ass beasts....:cool:

but hey, at lest I'm big enough to reach them and don't need a latter to kick someone in the toe :D

Rockntractor
03-26-2011, 05:10 PM
idk about aliens:rolleyes:, but those female bigfoot are some sexy ass beasts....:cool:

Do they get PMS?:confused::eek:

fettpett
03-26-2011, 05:12 PM
Do they get PMS?:confused::eek:

hell if I know...it was a one time deal

PoliCon
03-26-2011, 05:15 PM

but hey, at lest I'm big enough to reach them and don't need a latter to kick someone in the toe :D

Look - if you're into muslim women - that's your business . . .

djones520
03-26-2011, 09:07 PM
I concur. Perhaps you, I and any interested others could petition for it?

I wouldn't support it. This is exactly what General Discussion is here for.