PDA

View Full Version : Wei: How many Americans starved to death during the Depression?

Odysseus
03-28-2011, 03:23 PM
And, here we go again. Wei has a nasty habit of making a claim and then disappearing when he's call on it. When he asked how many people in the US starved to death during the Great Depression, I found the only hard numbers in one city, then extrapolated that number to the entire population. Not perfect, but better than nothing, and at least defensible. Wei would have none of it and keeps claiming that some ungodly high number of Americans died of starvation, but keeps avoiding providing a hard number. Here's the last post on the subject. Wei's answer would follow if he'd given one, but as always, he just disappeared, rather than answer. So, here's the question, in bold text. Try to come up with a real number, Wei, because we all know how many people died in famines in communist nations.

If you count the number of people executed in the United States, the number of people who died from starvation, the number of people killed in violent crime and the number of people killed in wars of aggression, then America has a far higher death toll.
Okay, let's have some hard numbers. How many people have starved in the United States? I based my estimate on actual reported data from the Depression. What's your source, and what is your estimate? And how many have been executed for purely political crimes (the number one cause of death in the Soviet Union). Again, cite your source. As for violent crime, the function of government is to protect people from it, not to perpetuate it. But, let's have your numbers and make the comparison. And you'd better have some sources.

Of course the Red Army sure did know how to send millions of men to their deaths...
With the exception of the PLA, they have the highest body count in history. Communism has murdered more people than any other movement in history.

Don't make me take this to the Dome, Wei.

Wei Wu Wei
03-28-2011, 08:36 PM
a lot

Zafod
03-28-2011, 08:38 PM
a lot
Wow you are even more pathetic than before.

Wei Wu Wei
03-28-2011, 08:44 PM
There is a number estimated at around 7 million people dying from famine, starvation, disease,ungodly working conditions for those who had some employment, and other issues related to the depression.

http://english.pravda.ru/world/americas/19-05-2008/105255-famine-1/

The researcher, Boris Borisov, in his article titled “The American Famine” estimated the victims of the financial crisis in the US at over seven million people

In the article, Borisov used the official data of the US Census Bureau. Having revised the number of the US population, birth and date rates, immigration and emigration, the researcher came to conclusion that the United States lost over seven million people during the famine of 1932-1933.
0Share

* Print version
* + - Font Size
* Send to friend

“According to the US statistics, the US lost not less than 8 million 553 thousand people from 1931 to 1940. Afterwards, population growth indices change twice instantly exactly between 1930-1931: the indices drop and stay on the same level for ten years. There can no explanation to this phenomenon found in the extensive text of the report by the US Department of Commerce “Statistical Abstract of the United States,” the author wrote.

The researcher points out the movement of population at this point: “A lot more people left the country than arrived during the 1930s – the difference is estimated at 93,309 people, whereas 2.960,782 people arrived in the country a decade earlier. Well, let’s correct the number of total demographic losses in the USA during the 1930s by 3,054 people.”

“In 1940, the US population was supposed to make up at least 141.856 million people upon the preservation of previous demographic trends. As a matter of fact, the USA had the 131.409-strong population in 1940, of which only 3.054 million can be explained with changes in migration dynamics. Thus, 7.394,000 people simply do not exist as of 1940. There are no official arguments to explain the phenomenon,” Boris Borisov wrote.

There has been some controversy conscerning this guy and his paper but I haven't read it myself, I've only seen it referenced so idk the details.

There you go, here's a number and you have whatever number you admitted pulling out of your ass. Now you have two numbers you can grunt and spit about have fun big boy

BadCat
03-28-2011, 08:47 PM
There is a number estimated at around 7 million people dying from famine, starvation, disease,ungodly working conditions for those who had some employment, and other issues related to the depression.

There has been some controversy conscerning this guy and his paper but I haven't read it myself, I've only seen it referenced so idk the details.

There you go, here's a number and you have whatever number you admitted pulling out of your ass. Now you have two numbers you can grunt and spit about have fun big boy

Pravda?

Fucking REALLY?

Rockntractor
03-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Well shit, if you can't trust pravda who can you trust!

BadCat
03-28-2011, 08:50 PM
Well shit, if you can't trust pravda who can you trust!

What else would we expect from that America hating little pissant commie?

Wei Wu Wei
03-28-2011, 08:51 PM
*the sound of a few dozen pants all getting shat in at once*

BadCat
03-28-2011, 08:55 PM
*the sound of a few dozen pants all getting shat in at once*

Not quite commie shitstain.

Once I saw your "source", I didn't even bother reading another word.

You're pretty useless, ya know?

Wei Wu Wei
03-28-2011, 08:56 PM
welp looks like imgetting banned again for saying words that hurt too bad well it was fun

BadCat
03-28-2011, 09:01 PM
welp looks like imgetting banned again for saying words that hurt too bad well it was fun

Oh, you'll be getting banned, but not for the reason you think.

MrsSmith
03-28-2011, 09:02 PM
Study: Life and death during the Great Depression
September 28, 2009

The Great Depression had a silver lining: During that hard time, U.S. life expectancy actually increased by 6.2 years, according to a University of Michigan study published in the current issue of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Life expectancy rose from 57.1 in 1929 to 63.3 years in 1932, according to the analysis by
U-M researchers Josť A. Tapia Granados and Ana Diez Roux. The increase occurred for both men and women, and for whites and non-whites.

The researchers analyzed age-specific mortality rates and rates due to six causes of death that composed about two-thirds of total mortality in the 1930s: cardiovascular and renal diseases, cancer, influenza and pneumonia, tuberculosis, motor vehicle traffic injuries, and suicide. The association between improving health and economic slowdowns was true for all ages, and for every major cause of death except one: suicide. http://www.physorg.com/news173371667.html

10% starved?? And yet life expectancy ROSE? It seems like WeeWee's researcher may have been trying way too hard to make the US look in some way as bad as the USSR.

Rockntractor
03-28-2011, 09:03 PM
http://www.physorg.com/news173371667.html

10% starved?? And yet life expectancy ROSE? It seems like WeeWee's researcher may have been trying way too hard to make the US look in some way as bad as the USSR.

A dishonest commie?:confused:

BadCat
03-28-2011, 09:04 PM
http://www.physorg.com/news173371667.html

He likes to do that.
He thinks that North Korea is superior to us because, although they have nuclear weapons, they've never used them.

Weewee is a genuine loser, in all aspects of his life.

Wei Wu Wei
03-28-2011, 09:07 PM
Oh, you'll be getting banned, but not for the reason you think.

i'm going to guess it's because i typed a thing and those words on the computer screen got you or someone else all butthurt, just like every other time.

http://i.imgur.com/E1PBC.jpg

fill it out, send it to the admin and pat yourself on the back buddy

BadCat
03-28-2011, 09:10 PM
i'm going to guess it's because i typed a thing and those words on the computer screen got you or someone else all butthurt, just like every other time.
fill it out, send it to the admin and pat yourself on the back buddy

As usual, you're incorrect.

Does it hurt to be so stupid?

JB
03-28-2011, 09:13 PM
i'm going to guess it's because i typed a thing and those words on the computer screen got you or someone else all butthurt, just like every other time.Dude, you made a claim that you couldn't back up. Then you referenced Pravda as a source and admitted that even you had not read the paper.

Now you're trying to be the victim.

That shit's not gonna fly. Smarten up.

BadCat
03-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Dude, you made a claim that you couldn't back up. Then you referenced Pravda as a source and admitted that even you had not read the paper.

Moonbats seem to have a martyr syndrome, in concert with their Muslim brothers.

Wei Wu Wei
03-28-2011, 09:18 PM
Yes lots of people died and I don't know the number. Some short research gives me only that source but I haven't read it and i admitted that upfront.

okay there you go, if anyone else has any numbers or sources by all means let's look at them and we can have a discussion i don't care if this russian guy is wrong or not.

Sonnabend
03-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Pravda

Ha ha...hee hee hee....BWAHAHAHA!!!!!:D

BadCat
03-28-2011, 09:20 PM
Pravda

Ha ha...hee hee hee....BWAHAHAHA!!!!!:D

Yes, you know "Pravda" means "Truth" in Democrat.

Wei Wu Wei
03-28-2011, 09:22 PM
this pravda site better be really damn hilarious

BadCat
03-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Hey shit stain...since you hate America so much, where do you wish you had been born?

Novaheart
03-28-2011, 09:37 PM
Dude, you made a claim that you couldn't back up. Then you referenced Pravda as a source and admitted that even you had not read the paper.

Regardless, the point is well taken that when these "mass killings" are attributed to one country or another, the claims tend to be absurd.

For example La Raza/mecha/Stolen Continent with the assistance of various turds (living or dead) in academia, accuse "white people" of killing a number of "indigenous people" so huge it amounts to all the Indians which may have lived in the Americas for 3 centuries. Some blacks claim an absurd number of slaves died in passage, so many as to be a physical impossibility.

Odysseus
03-28-2011, 10:38 PM

PRAVDA?????
ROFLOL!!!
OMG, that's funny!

Okay, that was good. Now, give me a real number.

this pravda site better be really damn hilarious
It's Pravda! Citing Pravda as a source on American starvation numbers is like citing Mein Kampf for Jewish economic data.

Seriously, is that the best you've got?

fettpett
03-28-2011, 10:54 PM
even if those numbers are correct, there is a huge difference between a natural/economic disaster and a whole sale saluter by ones government simply for disagreeing with it or being of a religious belief system.

Also, many argue that FDR polices prolonged the Depression, the econonmy was showing signs of recovery as early as 1930 when it crashed again. Hoover and FDR's meddling with the economy screwed things up.

Sonnabend
03-28-2011, 10:58 PM
Major..

WILL you please post a spew alert next time????:mad:

That was a perfectly good coffee :(

NJCardFan
03-28-2011, 11:16 PM
Pravda. Wow. I mean...wow. Pravda. Wow...just...um...wow. What's next, using Al Jazeera to get the truth on Al Qaeda?

Odysseus
03-28-2011, 11:25 PM
even if those numbers are correct, there is a huge difference between a natural/economic disaster and a whole sale saluter by ones government simply for disagreeing with it or being of a religious belief system.

Also, many argue that FDR polices prolonged the Depression, the econonmy was showing signs of recovery as early as 1930 when it crashed again. Hoover and FDR's meddling with the economy screwed things up.
They're not correct. There actually is a source document that provides much more accurate data than <snort> Pravda, from the CDC, http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/vsus/VSUS_1937_1.pdf, it seems that the death rate actually declined during the Depression. Here's the re.event passage:

DEATH RATE TREND.-In1937 there were 1,450,427 registered deaths In the United States. Using an estimated midyear populationof 129,257,000, the crudedeathrate is 11.2 per 1,000.
This rate ,though slightly lower than the rate for 1936,Is not greatlydifferent from those for the past several years.In 1900,the first year for which annual mortality statistics were compiled,the crude death rate was 17.6.The trend of the rate since that year has been generally downward,although there has been an occasional year or high mortality. The lowest death rate for this period of time is Tor 1933,for which year the rate is 10.7.

In other words, four years after the Wall Street crash, the death rate was the lowest it had been in years. An honest man would admit his error and acknowledge that during the worst economic catastrophe in its history, the capitalist system proved far more resilient than any communist state, even during times of plenty. As for what a dishonest man would do, let's await Wei's reply.

Major..

WILL you please post a spew alert next time????:mad:

That was a perfectly good coffee :(

Look at it this way, if accidentally mixing peanut butter and chocolate made the Reese's guy a millionaire, spewing coffee into your Vegemite ought to be worth a few bucks. :D

NJCardFan
03-28-2011, 11:53 PM
Vegemite, now there's some nasty stuff.

Sonnabend
03-29-2011, 01:28 AM
Vegemite, now there's some nasty stuff.

It's delicious...especially with cheese or hundreds and thousands :D Right now it's all I can eat...I caught a nasty gastro bug :mad:

fettpett
03-29-2011, 10:29 AM
They're not correct. There actually is a source document that provides much more accurate data than <snort> Pravda, from the CDC, http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/vsus/VSUS_1937_1.pdf, it seems that the death rate actually declined during the Depression. Here's the re.event passage:

DEATH RATE TREND.-In1937 there were 1,450,427 registered deaths In the United States. Using an estimated midyear populationof 129,257,000, the crudedeathrate is 11.2 per 1,000.
This rate ,though slightly lower than the rate for 1936,Is not greatlydifferent from those for the past several years.In 1900,the first year for which annual mortality statistics were compiled,the crude death rate was 17.6.The trend of the rate since that year has been generally downward,although there has been an occasional year or high mortality. The lowest death rate for this period of time is Tor 1933,for which year the rate is 10.7.

In other words, four years after the Wall Street crash, the death rate was the lowest it had been in years. An honest man would admit his error and acknowledge that during the worst economic catastrophe in its history, the capitalist system proved far more resilient than any communist state, even during times of plenty. As for what a dishonest man would do, let's await Wei's reply.

Yeah, I pretty much figured it wasn't. I was just pointing out the difference between an economic and ecological disaster (dust bowl) and the political killings that were going on in Europe at the time (Russia and Germany).

lacarnut
03-29-2011, 10:52 AM
More people are starving to death today than during the depression in 3rd world countries because of stupid politicians (D & R) decision to use corn in making Ethanol. Using a food source has decreased the supply and the price has shot up. Even Al Gore says using corn to make fuel was a bad idea. People in poor countries spend 50% on their income on food.

fettpett
03-29-2011, 11:02 AM
More people are starving to death today than during the depression in 3rd world countries because of stupid politicians (D & R) decision to use corn in making Ethanol. Using a food source has decreased the supply and the price has shot up. Even Al Gore says using corn to make fuel was a bad idea. People in poor countries spend 50% on their income on food.

particularly since ethanol can be made out of non-food stuff (aka the grass clippings from ones lawn mower). On top of that Ethanol is bad for cars. Even the automakers and engine manufactures are waking up to that and trying to stop an increase in the amount put into our gas.

http://www.jsonline.com/business/118812689.html

Briggs & Stratton Co. and other engine manufacturers want the government to ensure that current grades of gasoline will remain available when fuel with a higher ethanol content - which could damage engines - is introduced as soon as this summer.

The manufacturers, represented by the Outdoor Power Equipment Institute and 11 other trade groups, have petitioned the Environmental Protection Agency to require the continued availability of gasoline with no more than 10% ethanol content.

Ethanol is a fuel additive made from corn. The EPA has approved a 15% blend for newer-model vehicles that could be available this summer, according to petitioners that represent Wisconsin engine makers Briggs & Stratton, Mercury Marine Inc., Kohler Co., BRP Inc., and companies in other states.

The higher ethanol blend, E15, could damage or ruin millions of engines, according to the manufacturers, because their products were not designed to run on fuel with more than 10% ethanol in it.

Overheating and engine performance are among the problems that face owners of boats, lawn mowers and other outdoor power products if they're mistakenly fueled with E15.

noonwitch
03-29-2011, 11:57 AM
particularly since ethanol can be made out of non-food stuff (aka the grass clippings from ones lawn mower). On top of that Ethanol is bad for cars. Even the automakers and engine manufactures are waking up to that and trying to stop an increase in the amount put into our gas.

http://www.jsonline.com/business/118812689.html

My grandpa always said that ethanol was bad for engines. He's a retired automotive engineer. He always told me to avoid gas with ethanol, but now that's pretty hard to do these days.

fettpett
03-29-2011, 12:41 PM
My grandpa always said that ethanol was bad for engines. He's a retired automotive engineer. He always told me to avoid gas with ethanol, but now that's pretty hard to do these days.

Mobile gas stations are suppose to have either none or the lest possible...downside is we don't have a lot of them around by me

Odysseus
03-29-2011, 12:44 PM
Yeah, I pretty much figured it wasn't. I was just pointing out the difference between an economic and ecological disaster (dust bowl) and the political killings that were going on in Europe at the time (Russia and Germany).
No argument, but once I found that, I had to rub Wei's nose in it, assuming that he bothers to come back and check.

It's delicious...especially with cheese or hundreds and thousands :D Right now it's all I can eat...I caught a nasty gastro bug :mad:
Okay, you eat vegemite and have a nasty gastro bug, but you don't see any connection? :D

And, the higher food prices are causing much of the unrest in the Middle East. It's a leftist trifecta, higher fuel prices, famine and violence.