PDA

View Full Version : Cash-poor MTA may put recipients of unemployment benefits to work again cleaning subw

Gingersnap
03-29-2011, 01:09 PM
Cash-poor MTA may put recipients of unemployment benefits to work again cleaning subways

BY Lisa Eadicicco and Pete Donohue
DAILY NEWS WRITERS

Tuesday, March 29th 2011, 4:00 AM

http://i53.tinypic.com/169qcjq.jpg

The MTA may employ cleaning workers through the city's Work Experience Program, which puts recipients of unemployment benefits to work.

The cash-strapped MTA may soon put welfare recipients to work scrubbing and cleaning the subways.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority wants to revive its participation in the city's Work Experience Program - which makes the unemployed toil for their benefit checks.

"This is a program that has a proven track record of doing three things: providing low-cost cleaning help for the subway; providing job training to people who need it, and leading directly to full-time employment for many of the people who participate in the program," MTA spokesman Jeremy Soffin said.

The MTA eliminated 173 cleaner positions last year in a series of budget cuts that slashed a total of about 3,500 jobs.

Subway riders told about the plan Monday largely gave it a thumbs up.

"I think it's a fair way to get the subways clean," Joanna Kielbiowski, 32, of New Hyde Park, L.I., said at a midtown subway station. "Sometimes when I take the subway, it's disgusting."

Adam Salah, 21, of the Bronx said the program would be "a good way to get people on their feet ... and get the subway cleaner."

Michael Pollack, 29, of Long Beach, L.I., was on the fence.

"I feel like saying yes and no," Pollack said. "On some level, it's exploitation of people in a bad position. On the other hand, a lot of people wait around looking for a handout, and this is a way for them to earn it."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/03/29/2011-03-29_cashpoor_mta_may_put_recipients_of_unemployment _benefits_to_work_again_cleaning_.html#ixzz1I0dacD jh

Wei Wu Wei
03-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Seems like an interesting idea. Wouldn't it also work to just give them jobs as cleaners and take them off of unemployment?

I suppose that could cause problems for people with say college degrees and house payments who had well-paying jobs but were laid off. For these people unemployment checks pay more than low-skilled cleaning jobs.

Apache
03-29-2011, 03:00 PM
Seems like an interesting idea. Wouldn't it also work to just give them jobs as cleaners and take them off of unemployment?

Unions

Odysseus
03-29-2011, 03:14 PM

I suppose that could cause problems for people with say college degrees and house payments who had well-paying jobs but were laid off. For these people unemployment checks pay more than low-skilled cleaning jobs.

These aren't recipients of unemployment, they're welfare recipients.

And the city has tried to do this before, but the MTA unions have fought it tooth and nail, as have the "homeless advocates" and the usual leftists who think that there's a Constitutional right to loaf.

noonwitch
03-29-2011, 03:37 PM
I don't have a problem with able bodied welfare recipients having to work. This is probably a temporary assignment, and if they do a good job, they will have a reference to use on future job applications. That's one major obstacle for a lot of welfare recipients-they don't have work experience.

One of my friends went through a phase in her life where she rode the Detroit buses to and from work. She used to complain about how nasty they were, and she always said that inmates at either one of the prisons or the jail should be cleaning them out. The driver should be able to take the empty bus to one of the institutions at the end of the shift and a crew of inmates should be ready to clean it out thoroughly. I thought it was a good idea-it keeps the buses clean for no extra labor costs, and it gives the inmates something constructive to do.

Apache
03-29-2011, 04:24 PM
These aren't recipients of unemployment, they're welfare recipients.

And the city has tried to do this before, but the MTA unions have fought it tooth and nail, as have the "homeless advocates" and the usual leftists who think that there's a Constitutional right to loaf.

I thought I said that...:confused:

:p

fettpett
03-29-2011, 07:22 PM
I thought I said that...:confused:

:p

you did....just few words...though wennie boy might understand yours better:D

Kay
03-29-2011, 09:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VMSGrY-IlU