PDA

View Full Version : Brookfield Teacher Faces Possible Firing For Insulting Teen

PoliCon
03-30-2011, 11:40 PM
1:27 p.m. EDT, March 30, 2011
BROOKFIELD—

A Connecticut math teacher is fighting to keep his job after asking an overweight student if he ate his homework.

Brookfield High School teacher Robert Wollkind says he has Asperger's syndrome, a high-functioning form of autism in which social interactions can be awkward.

Wollkind was placed on administrative leave in November after the comment to the student, who previously had been teased by others about his weight.

Wollkind is scheduled to appear at a termination hearing Wednesday.

School district officials say the comment was the latest in a string of demeaning remarks over Wollkind's 32-year career, including telling a student he hated him.

Wollkind has said his Asperger's makes it difficult for him to read others' emotions. More than 1,000 Brookfield parents and students have signed a petition supporting him.

FROM - http://www.courant.com/community/brookfield/hc-brookfield-teacher-aspergers-20110330,0,5826965.story

Novaheart
03-31-2011, 12:38 AM
Too little info to call it.

If he really has a 32 year history of being a problem then in Thinking World he should be dismissed... but in Legal World one wonders how it is that he's still there. So we have to assume that none of his previous infractions was serious. On the flip side of Thinking World, we know that admins sometimes make statements suggesting an ongoing problem when they think they might be taking severe action, often one based in personal animosity.

Aspergers or no Aspergers, he owes the kid an apology. Golden ticket notwithstanding, if he had Tourettes he wouldn't get a pass for walking in the classroom and making a similar remark about anyone but a fat kid. And not surprisingly, there is a comment to the effect that the fat kid needed someone to tell him he is fat. Yeah, because a fat kid in high school doesn't get told that often enough.

Better yet, put this special Ed. teaching Special Ed.

Madisonian
03-31-2011, 12:45 AM
I find it interesting that it now seems that everything can now be reduced to a disease, affliction, syndrome or disorder.

Based just on what was posted here, I would say this guy suffers from TAS or Thoughtless Asshole Syndrome and maybe finding a job amongst say, carny workers, may be more appropriate.

Novaheart
03-31-2011, 12:59 AM
I find it interesting that it now seems that everything can now be reduced to a disease, affliction, syndrome or disorder.

Based just on what was posted here, I would say this guy suffers from TAS or Thoughtless Asshole Syndrome and maybe finding a job amongst say, carny workers, may be more appropriate.

Second best line from Six Feet Under:

Brenda: "He's completely oblivious to the fact that we're all just exhausted. They should call it 'bipolar asshole disorder'."

Best line from Six Feet Under:

Brenda: "You know what I find interesting? If you lose a spouse, you're called a widow, or a widower. If you're a child and you lose your parents, then you're an orphan. But what's the word to describe a parent who loses a child? I guess that's just too fucking awful to even have a name. "

fettpett
03-31-2011, 08:21 AM
Aspergers is not a reason for this guy to be a complete and total asshole. it puts a negative light on kids and adults that have genuine problems with Aspergers. Besides that if it hasn't been a problem before now after so many years of teaching, then this ass is just trying to get out of trouble

FBIGuy
03-31-2011, 08:30 AM
No one is responsible for anything because everyone has a syndrome. The teacher obviously suffers from GGS (Gilbert Gottfried Syndrome) and the student is in the final stages of GMASPD (Give Me Another Slice of Pizza Disease).

fettpett
03-31-2011, 08:40 AM
No one is responsible for anything because everyone has a syndrome. The teacher obviously suffers from GGS (Gilbert Gottfried Syndrome) and the student is in the final stages of GMASPD (Give Me Another Slice of Pizza Disease).

http://www.hrmorning.com/final-ada-rules-reflect-relaxed-definitions-of-disability/

Final ADA rules reflect relaxed definitions of disability
March 24, 2011 by Tim Gould
The EEOC’s issued final rules covering the Americans with Disabilities Act — and as expected, the revised regs smooth the way for employees to claim they meet the legal definition of disabled.

The new rules were established following the passage of the ADA Amendments Act in 2008. The ADAAA overturned several Supreme Court decisions that Congress believed had interpreted the definition of “disability” too narrowly.

Those rulings resulted in employees suffering from chronic conditions like cancer, diabetes or epilepsy being denied ADA protection, Congressional sources said.

In guidance released last year, the EEOC summed up the shift in emphasis under the ADAAA:

“The definition of disability … shall be construed broadly, to the maximum extent permitted by the terms of the ADA. The focus of an ADA case should be on whether discrimination occurred, not on whether an individual meets the definition of ‘disability.’”

SaintLouieWoman
03-31-2011, 08:43 AM
Aspergers is not a reason for this guy to be a complete and total asshole. it puts a negative light on kids and adults that have genuine problems with Aspergers. Besides that if it hasn't been a problem before now after so many years of teaching, then this ass is just trying to get out of trouble

I know someone with a child who has Aspergers. As the child is getting older she is having more troubles trying to appear "normal", whatever that might be. She started out "different" as a toddler, constantly "drumming" and acting oddly. The parents have devoted their lives to trying to help her fit in, have taken every step to help the little one learn how to handle herself and to socialize. People who suffer from Aspergers have many odd quirks and one of them is often the inability to relate to others and to pop off and say whatever they think. They don't have the normal "filter" that most of us have. The parents have worked with counselors, the schools, special programs to help her more aware of the feelings of others. They've done such a good job in that regard that she probably will be taken advantage of as she gets older. I wouldn't want to walk in their shoes with that little one.

It's not unbelievable that the teacher would spout off like this. It sounds as if it's a regular occurence. The Aspergers syndrome isn't an excuse; it's a reality. I commend him for making his way through life this far and supporting himself. What's amazing is they'd call him for making a fat comment. The overweight don't seem to be a protected class in our society.

It's too easy to condemn someone if you're not aware of the horrendous problems entailed with this disease.

fettpett
03-31-2011, 08:46 AM
I know someone with a child who has Aspergers. As the child is getting older she is having more troubles trying to appear "normal", whatever that might be. She started out "different" as a toddler, constantly "drumming" and acting oddly. The parents have devoted their lives to trying to help her fit in, have taken every step to help the little one learn how to handle herself and to socialize. People who suffer from Aspergers have many odd quirks and one of them is often the inability to relate to others and to pop off and say whatever they think. They don't have the normal "filter" that most of us have. The parents have worked with counselors, the schools, special programs to help her more aware of the feelings of others. They've done such a good job in that regard that she probably will be taken advantage of as she gets older. I wouldn't want to walk in their shoes with that little one.

It's not unbelievable that the teacher would spout off like this. It sounds as if it's a regular occurence. The Aspergers syndrome isn't an excuse; it's a reality. I commend him for making his way through life this far and supporting himself. What's amazing is they'd call him for making a fat comment. The overweight don't seem to be a protected class in our society.

It's too easy to condemn someone if you're not aware of the horrendous problems entailed with this disease.

my son has Asperger's and I don't see it as a disease, because there is no way to cure it and there is no pathogen that causes it.

fettpett
03-31-2011, 08:52 AM
I also don't let it be my son's excuse for being a little butthead when he's being one and I call him on it. yes it's something that they have issues with, but it's not like they can't learn to deal with it. the guy is in his 30's and a teacher, if he can get that far, he has learned to filter himself

SaintLouieWoman
03-31-2011, 09:03 AM
I also don't let it be my son's excuse for being a little butthead when he's being one and I call him on it. yes it's something that they have issues with, but it's not like they can't learn to deal with it. the guy is in his 30's and a teacher, if he can get that far, he has learned to filter himself

School district officials say the comment was the latest in a string of demeaning remarks over Wollkind's 32-year career, including telling a student he hated him.

If he's been teaching for 32 years, it sounds as if he's old enough that he probably got no help as a kid with it. I don't think they identified people with Asperger's syndrome way back, probably just labelled people as odd or quirky. It doesn't sound as if he did learn to filter himself, if he has a long history of getting himself into trouble with his remarks.

I know the little girl I mentioned is called on things she does that aren't right. It's a long process learning to deal with those issues.

Phillygirl
03-31-2011, 09:08 AM
Asberger's or not, if he has a history of "spouting off" then he shouldn't be in that job.

PoliCon
03-31-2011, 09:10 AM

and you have to call them on it because they just do not see how what they say affects other people. They cannot conceptualize other peoples feelings.

fettpett
03-31-2011, 09:16 AM
I guess I miss read it and thought that he was 32 not that he had been teaching for 32 years. I know that most people on the autism specturm were seen as weird or whatever in the 40's-50's and high functioning Asperger's weren't typically seen as anything other than odd.

it looks like it's time for this guy to retire

PoliCon
03-31-2011, 09:20 AM
If you ask me - it's time for people to grow some thicker skin.

fettpett
03-31-2011, 09:30 AM

there is that too

FBIGuy
03-31-2011, 09:41 AM

Preach it brother!

Gingersnap
03-31-2011, 09:51 AM

LOL! I think you called it. :D

PoliCon
03-31-2011, 04:34 PM
There is too much emphasis on self esteem. We are teaching people to find worth in what other people think of them. So when the fat kid gets picked on because he's fat - he internalizes that he is worthless because of the opinions that other people have about him. I'm not now nor have I ever been a fan of self esteem.

fettpett
03-31-2011, 04:44 PM
There is too much emphasis on self esteem. We are teaching people to find worth in what other people think of them. So when the fat kid gets picked on because he's fat - he internalizes that he is worthless because of the opinions that other people have about him. I'm not now nor have I ever been a fan of self esteem.

my National Gov teacher tries to teach critical thinking, everyone bitches about it

lacarnut
03-31-2011, 04:56 PM

There should be more emphasis placed on self esteem. As a teacher, you have to be bullshiting me. Kids need to be told that they are okay and ecourage them to have confidence in themselves and their abilities.

BTW, what would you tell a fat kid that was getting picked on all the time. I would tell him to take a self defense course at the YMCA. The next kid that picks on you, beat his ass, and that would give the fat kid confidence and much self esteem. In the process, he might lose weight. Let me hear your solution.

PoliCon
03-31-2011, 05:01 PM
There should be more emphasis placed on self esteem. As a teacher, you have to be bullshiting me. Kids need to be told that they are okay and ecourage them to have confidence in themselves and their abilities.

BTW, what would you tell a fat kid that was getting picked on all the time. I would tell him to take a self defense course at the YMCA. The next kid that picks on you, beat his ass, and that would give the fat kid confidence and much self esteem. In the process, he might lose weight. Let me hear your solution.

You've bought a lie. The focus on self esteem has been one of the very WORST things the schools have done to our kids. There is a HUGE difference between self confidence/self worth and self esteem. Self esteem is centered on how you perceive that others view you. As a result - kids feel that they cannot ever make a mistake - they cannot ever mess up - and if they do - they have no concept of how to deal with it. What school should focus on is achievement which will build real self worth. The kids will know - I CAN DO THIS. Then they will have real self worth.

fettpett
03-31-2011, 05:02 PM

nah, there should be less emphasis on the BS PC shit that don't let kids deal with winning and losing

PoliCon
03-31-2011, 05:02 PM
my National Gov teacher tries to teach critical thinking, everyone bitches about it

Because they don't want to think - they have been trained to be sheep. Thinking is challenging and they don't know how to deal with the possibility that they might fail.

Odysseus
03-31-2011, 05:06 PM

It sounds like the kid's skin is too thick already. If he'd dropped a few pounds and done his homework, we wouldn't be having this thread. It sounds like a case of Litigious Idiot Making Problems And Seeking Sympathy Syndrome, or LIMPASS Syndrome.

fettpett
03-31-2011, 05:08 PM
Because they don't want to think - they have been trained to be sheep. Thinking is challenging and they don't know how to deal with the possibility that they might fail.

yeah, pretty much, we have to do 3 mini-critiques and all the tests are essay but giving our opinion on the topic using critical thinking skills to answer the questions

lacarnut
03-31-2011, 05:23 PM
You've bought a lie. The focus on self esteem has been one of the very WORST things the schools have done to our kids. There is a HUGE difference between self confidence/self worth and self esteem. Self esteem is centered on how you perceive that others view you. As a result - kids feel that they cannot ever make a mistake - they cannot ever mess up - and if they do - they have no concept of how to deal with it. What school should focus on is achievement which will build real self worth. The kids will know - I CAN DO THIS. Then they will have real self worth.

Wrong..self (meaning yourself) esteem is centered on how YOU feel about yourself NOT what others think about you. Google "self esteem" and you will find the correct meaning.

You still did not answer my question about what you would tell the fat boy that was getting picked on. What's your advise.

lacarnut
03-31-2011, 05:28 PM
nah, there should be less emphasis on the BS PC shit that don't let kids deal with winning and losing

Many poor and black kids have very low esteem. They do not think their life is worth a plug nickel so they go into drugs or crime. What are you going to tell them as a teacher. Huh.

fettpett
03-31-2011, 05:45 PM
/sigh, Poli is right, Self-confidence from a psychological stand point is MUCH more important than self-esteem, self-esteem grows from self-confidence and self-worth which a person has to earn. There is too much focus on upping one's self-esteem without teaching them how to develop their self-worth and self-confidence. Both of these are developed through success as well as failure. When we don't teach kids how to face failure and success in positive ways and demand that they only know success it warps their perception of life and we have the idiocy that we have today.

Odysseus
03-31-2011, 05:48 PM
Many poor and black kids have very low esteem. They do not think their life is worth a plug nickel so they go into drugs or crime. What are you going to tell them as a teacher. Huh.

"Don't shoot!" :D

PoliCon
03-31-2011, 06:01 PM
/sigh, Poli is right, Self-confidence from a psychological stand point is MUCH more important than self-esteem, self-esteem grows from self-confidence and self-worth which a person has to earn. There is too much focus on upping one's self-esteem without teaching them how to develop their self-worth and self-confidence. Both of these are developed through success as well as failure. When we don't teach kids how to face failure and success in positive ways and demand that they only know success it warps their perception of life and we have the idiocy that we have today.

Further - Self esteem says to the fat kid - the other kids think I'm fat and make fun of me so I must be of less worth. Self worth says to the fat kid - you are someone. you have X,Y, and Z going for you - who gives a shit what the other kids think? But he's not going to admit the difference so why bother?

lacarnut
03-31-2011, 06:47 PM

You are wrong. Like I said GOOGLE Self Esteem. You can do it.

Got news for you. The teacher that belittled the fat boy should be fired. He is a lousy fucking teacher. A teacher job is not just to spit out information but to encourage kids to better themselves. If you can not treat kids equally, black, brown, white, ugly, pretty the same, fat, skinny, you should not be a damn teacher. You can take all that other psychological gobbly gook to the commode.

Kids that are impoverished have low esteem to start off with. You are going to demean them more with your psychological babble. Like I said, Self Esteem means how you feel about yourself. That should not be to hard for you to comprehend.

lacarnut
03-31-2011, 06:53 PM
"Don't shoot!" :D

That's what Poli and fettpett would tell them.

Still have not received an answer to my question. Guess they don't know unless you call x, y and z an answer. .

fettpett
03-31-2011, 07:20 PM
You are wrong. Like I said GOOGLE Self Esteem. You can do it.

Got news for you. The teacher that belittled the fat boy should be fired. He is a lousy fucking teacher. A teacher job is not just to spit out information but to encourage kids to better themselves. If you can not treat kids equally, black, brown, white, ugly, pretty the same, fat, skinny, you should not be a damn teacher. You can take all that other psychological gobbly gook to the commode.

Kids that are impoverished have low esteem to start off with. You are going to demean them more with your psychological babble. Like I said, Self Esteem means how you feel about yourself. That should not be to hard for you to comprehend.

first of all dude, I said the EXACT same thing that the dude should be fired. Second I don't need to google self-esteem, even though I did, I've taken enough pyschology classes to get a pretty good grasp of the theroies behind it.

btw here is a quote from Wiki on self-esteem

Nathaniel Branden in 1969 defined self-esteem as "...the experience of being competent to cope with the basic challenges of life and being worthy of happiness". According to Branden, self-esteem is the sum of self-confidence (a feeling of personal capacity) and self-respect (a feeling of personal worth). It exists as a consequence of the implicit judgement that every person does about, on one side, his/her ability to face life's challenges, that is, to understand and solve problems, and, on the other side, his right to achieve happiness, or, in other words, to respect and defend his own interests and needs

Now you might or might not recognize Nathaniel Branden, but he was, for many years, Ana Rand's intellectual heir, so he's not just some nut job.