PDA

View Full Version : Ayers affirms he wrote Dreams from my Father

Odysseus
04-01-2011, 01:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfIZDYm0a54&feature=player_embedded

Ayers affirms he wrote Dreams from my Father
Jack Cashill
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2011/03/ayers_affirms_he_wrote_dreams.html

Last Thursday evening at Montclair State University, with a video camera rolling, Bill Ayers volunteered that yes indeed he had written the acclaimed Barack Obama memoir, Dreams from My Father.

Unprompted, Ayers also noted that while Dreams deserves its praise, Obama's second opus, Audacity of Hope, is "more of a political hack book."

Not surprisingly, Ayers retreated into irony as he ended the session. "Yeah, yeah," he said after confirming again that he wrote Dreams, "And if you help me prove it, I'll split the royalties with you. Thank you very much."

With his final comment, the Ayers-friendly audience laughed in relief. The media will laugh nervously upon seeing the video as well. The White House will not.

Barack Obama knows what I know and what the people who have read my book, "Deconstructing Obama," know: Bill Ayers is the principal craftsman behind Dreams. The evidence is overwhelming.

Ayers also established, as I have contended from the beginning, that he is not the author of Audacity of Hope. Although Obama claims unique authorship of this book too, it was, as Ayers suggests, a disingenuous feint to the center written by committee.

Worse for Obama still, Ayers knows that the story he and Obama contrived in Dreams is false in many key details. The fact that Donald Trump has proved willing to challenge that story has got to make the White House even more apprehensive.

As was obvious in his speech at Montclair, Ayers does not like the application of force in Libya, and this may have been his own way of retaliating. Consider it a shot across Obama's bow. The White House will.

UNKNOWN QUESTIONER: Time magazine columnist Joe Klein wrote that President Obama’s book “Dreams From My Father” quote “may be the best written memoir ever produced by an American politician.”

BILL AYERS: I agree with that.

QUESTIONER: What is your opinion of Barack Obama’s style as a writer?

AYERS: I think the first book is very good. The second one was more of a political hack book, but the first book’s quite good.

QUESTIONER: Right, and also, you mentioned about the Pentagon and…

AYERS: Did you know I wrote it?

QUESTIONER: What’s that?

AYERS: I wrote “Dreams From My Father.”

CROWD: We know that.

QUESTIONER: You wrote that?

AYERS: Yeah, and if you could help me prove it, I’ll split the royalties with you.

[Laughter]

Oddly, this was not the first time Ayers made such a claim. Backyard Conservative reported October 4, 2009, after meeting Ayers at Reagan National Airport in Washington, D.C.:

Then, unprompted he said--I wrote Dreams From My Father. I said, oh, so you admit it. He said--Michelle asked me to. I looked at him. He seemed eager. He's about my height, short. He went on to say--and if you can prove it, we can split the royalties. So I said, stop pulling my leg. Horrible thought. But he came again--I really wrote it, the wording was similar. I said I believe you probably heavily edited it. He said--I wrote it. I said--why would I believe you, you're a liar.

He had no answer to that. Just looked at me. Then he turned and walked off, and said again his bit about my proving it and splitting the proceeds.

Now, less than eighteen months later, he's said this again in front of an audience with a camera taping the whole thing.

As Gateway Pundit noted moments ago:

Imagine the media onslaught upon discovering that a former unrepentant radical terrorist repeatedly admitted on video he wrote George Bush’s first book. We would never hear the end of it. Of course they play by different rules when it comes to Obama. This will get the usual “nothing to see here, move along” from the MSM.

Indeed. It seems quite unlikely this will get much attention anywhere other than conservative blogs and Fox News.

After all, why would it be at all newsworthy that the President's first book was written by a domestic terrorist? These same folks didn't care about Obama's association with Ayers, Bernadine Dohrn, and Jeremiah Wright when he was on the campaign trail.

Why should they care now?
Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2011/03/27/bill-ayers-admits-second-time-he-wrote-obamas-dreams-my-father#ixzz1IHsWZvVM
This is a stunning admission. It puts the lie to Obama's claim of authorship of the book that brought him so much credibility as an intellectual and serious candidate among the media. As noted above, Joe Klein, writing in Time, gushed over the book, putting it over Ullyses S. Grant's memoirs, Theodore Roosevelt's Rough Riders, Robert F. Kennedy's Thirteen Days: A Memoir of the Cuban Missile Crisis, Richard Nixon's My Six Crises, Dwight D. Eisenhower's Crusade in Europe, The Autobiography of Thomas Jefferson, etc., Serious hubris there, and now it turns out that it was written by a virulently anti-American domestic terrorist.

djones520
04-01-2011, 02:38 PM
It sounds like he's trying to be sarcastic about it.

txradioguy
04-01-2011, 02:43 PM
This isn't the first time he's made this claim in the same unprompted way.

Arroyo_Doble
04-01-2011, 02:50 PM
It sounds like he's trying to be sarcastic about it.

Yea. It's like saying, "you know the president was born in Kenya?"

It is poking fun at the kooks.

txradioguy
04-01-2011, 02:54 PM

Except no one to my knowledge has made this claim other than Ayers. When I read this a few days back...it was the first I'd ever heard of it.

djones520
04-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Except no one to my knowledge has made this claim other than Ayers. When I read this a few days back...it was the first I'd ever heard of it.

It has been one of those things that pops up on the internet a lot though, like Free Republic, and it's even been mentioned here before. His last line about proving it, and splitting the royalties tips it off in my eyes.

Arroyo_Doble
04-01-2011, 03:00 PM

It has been one of those floaters in the toilet of the fringe for awhile now.

PoliCon
04-01-2011, 03:03 PM
It's clear that the two books have different authors.

djones520
04-01-2011, 03:10 PM
It's clear that the two books have different authors.

You've read them both?

txradioguy
04-01-2011, 03:19 PM
It has been one of those things that pops up on the internet a lot though, like Free Republic, and it's even been mentioned here before. His last line about proving it, and splitting the royalties tips it off in my eyes.

Except I didn't read it at FR.

He first made the claim to a blogger by the name of Anne Leary in D.C. in 2009.

The next time I saw it pop up was a few weeks ago when NewsBusters.org linked to the story the Major has posted.

Your point?

txradioguy
04-01-2011, 03:20 PM
It has been one of those floaters in the toilet of the fringe for awhile now.

No now you're mistaking this for what occurs when you hit "submit reply".

djones520
04-01-2011, 03:21 PM

The next time I saw it pop up was a few weeks ago when NewsBusters.org linked to the story the Major has posted.

Your point?

My point is I think he's being sarcastic. Mocking the interwebz.

Arroyo_Doble
04-01-2011, 03:23 PM

Your point?

Jack Cashill inaugurated this bit of fun in 2008 during the campaign. I think his piece was in the (ironically named) American Thinker.

Arroyo_Doble
04-01-2011, 03:24 PM
No now you're mistaking this for what occurs when you hit "submit reply".

Well, I am here after all.

txradioguy
04-01-2011, 03:24 PM
My point is I think he's being sarcastic. Mocking the interwebz.

Then his sarcasm sucks because he has repeatedly made the claim for two years now.

You'd figure someone would "get it" by now.

PoliCon
04-01-2011, 03:41 PM
You've read them both?

not completely. Excerpts. And from them you can tell that there are two different writing styles at work.

Adam Wood
04-01-2011, 03:42 PM
Yeah, I think he's trying to make a funny. The problem is that he sux at being teh funneh.

IMO, Ayers didn't totally ghost-write Dreams, but he almost certainly did a lot of the heavy lifting.

Odysseus
04-01-2011, 04:23 PM

I don't think so.

Jack Cashill inaugurated this bit of fun in 2008 during the campaign. I think his piece was in the (ironically named) American Thinker.

Nothing ironic about the name. And Cashill makes a number of points which are thought provoking. For those not inclined to take your word for it, they can read his analyses here: http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/10/who_wrote_dreams_from_my_fathe_1.html, http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/05/who_wrote_dreams_and_why_it_ma_1.html
and
http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/07/who_wrote_audacity_of_hope_1.html

First, his comparison between Dreams and Bill Ayers' Fugitive Days turned up a number of similarities. His QSUM analysis shows almost identical sentence structures, level of readability and grade level between the two books, and a significant disparity between Dreams and The Audacity of Hope, a much less sophisticated effort. His text comparisons find a number of unique themes, phrases and linguistic tics that appear in both Ayers' and Obama's books, but which do not appear in any of Obama's other writing samples. Finally, he produces examples of writing that is indisputably Obama's, from his few published articles, which demonstrate a far poorer command of language and grammar and a completely different style of writing than found in Dreams.

noonwitch
04-01-2011, 04:31 PM
I'm not sure I'd trust anything Bill Ayers says about the matter.

Bailey
04-01-2011, 05:00 PM
I'm not sure I'd trust anything Bill Ayers says about the matter.

Him being a world class ego maniac I'd have to believe him. Just like that Fema-nazi helped Al Bore durning his run for the President in 2000, she couldnt keep her mouth shut even when gores staff asked her to. Very hard for those types to stay quite.

Arroyo_Doble
04-01-2011, 05:09 PM
I don't think so.

Nothing ironic about the name. And Cashill makes a number of points which are thought provoking. For those not inclined to take your word for it, they can read his analyses here: http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/10/who_wrote_dreams_from_my_fathe_1.html, http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/05/who_wrote_dreams_and_why_it_ma_1.html
and
http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/07/who_wrote_audacity_of_hope_1.html

First, his comparison between Dreams and Bill Ayers' Fugitive Days turned up a number of similarities. His QSUM analysis shows almost identical sentence structures, level of readability and grade level between the two books, and a significant disparity between Dreams and The Audacity of Hope, a much less sophisticated effort. His text comparisons find a number of unique themes, phrases and linguistic tics that appear in both Ayers' and Obama's books, but which do not appear in any of Obama's other writing samples. Finally, he produces examples of writing that is indisputably Obama's, from his few published articles, which demonstrate a far poorer command of language and grammar and a completely different style of writing than found in Dreams.

*shrug*

Like I tell most people, incredible claims demand incredible proof and unlike some, my credulity isn't selective.

Gingersnap
04-01-2011, 05:38 PM
*shrug*

Like I tell most people, incredible claims demand incredible proof and unlike some, my credulity isn't selective.

I'm also familiar with this analysis. It's more than a little thought-provoking. The claim is hardly "incredible"; presidential literary frauds are more common than you might realize. The analysis uses the standard tools available for document investigation. The same tools used in any literary analysis where authorship may be in question. This isn't fringe stuff.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to find that Obama farmed his opus out for fine-tuning. It's common enough.

Arroyo_Doble
04-01-2011, 05:53 PM
I'm also familiar with this analysis. It's more than a little thought-provoking. The claim is hardly "incredible"; presidential literary frauds are more common than you might realize. The analysis uses the standard tools available for document investigation. The same tools used in any literary analysis where authorship may be in question. This isn't fringe stuff.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to find that Obama farmed his opus out for fine-tuning. It's common enough.

How common? Name three.

Gingersnap
04-01-2011, 06:07 PM
How common? Name three.

Grant, Eisenhower, and JKF. Jeez, everybody knows this.

fettpett
04-01-2011, 09:13 PM
How common? Name three.

Washington used a Ghostwriter as well

Lager
04-01-2011, 09:40 PM

Seriously about Grant? I wasn't aware that his autobiography was questioned. I think I remember that Twain was the publisher. Do they think he had a hand in it? Is there a strong consensus, or just speculation?

Gingersnap
04-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Seriously about Grant? I wasn't aware that his autobiography was questioned. I think I remember that Twain was the publisher. Do they think he had a hand in it? Is there a strong consensus, or just speculation?

Grant published a number of works in addition to his autobiography and yes, the kind of people who research these things believe that Twain (perhaps among others) had a deft hand in his literary work.

Odysseus
04-01-2011, 11:37 PM
*shrug*

Sure it is. You just believe what NPR tells you to believe.

Grant published a number of works in addition to his autobiography and yes, the kind of people who research these things believe that Twain (perhaps among others) had a deft hand in his literary work.

That would explain how Grant was able to complete the memoirs just before dying from cancer of the throat. Still, I always assumed that he'd written them.

Adam Wood
04-02-2011, 12:02 AM
Seriously about Grant? I wasn't aware that his autobiography was questioned. I think I remember that Twain was the publisher. Do they think he had a hand in it? Is there a strong consensus, or just speculation?You actually believe that Grant was ever sober enough to hold a pen in his hand and write a book? I sure don't.

I expect that everyone who is not actually a professional writer has some manner of help in writing a book. The trick is where the gray area begins and ends. If I write my own autobiography (which would be pretty damn dull anyway) and I dictate it to a secretary, did I write the book, or did my secretary? If I take that dictation, or even if I type it all out myself, and I ask my brother, who is a multiply-published historical author to look it over and see what he thinks, and he makes some phraseology corrections, does that make him a ghost-writer? Or is he just a handy editor?

What if I collaborate with some excellent researcher and take some of their notes in whole and put them in a book? The notes are so clear and well-written that they could not be written better. Does that make my researcher a ghost-writer? Am I a plagiarist? I have acknowledged in the forward and throughout the book that my researcher found XYZ, and the context should make it clear that my researcher wrote this and that passage.

There's a pretty vast, gray gulf there between someone who writes every single word on his own and edits his own work and someone who just does the writing and lets someone else put their name down as the author. Because of this, I am hesitant to outright claim that Ayers is a ghost-writer for Obama, because to me, ghost-writing is the extreme later of the above. I do, however, think that Ayers had a pretty heavy hand in the writing of Dreams, and I think that Obama doesn't want anyone to know because it would wind up showing that he's not nearly as intelligent as he's portrayed to be. Many people who are paying attention already realize that he's not a very intelligent person, but a revelation about his first autobiography not being written by him would just blow the lid off of it.

Rockntractor
04-02-2011, 12:26 AM
I remember the left bragging during the election about how refreshing it was to have a candidate that was such a capable writer.

txradioguy
04-02-2011, 01:08 AM

Oreo knows it too.

fettpett
04-02-2011, 09:44 AM
You actually believe that Grant was ever sober enough to hold a pen in his hand and write a book? I sure don't.

you know Grants drinking problem was WAY overblown, most of it doing to wartime politics. The worst of his drinking came after the Mexican War and before civilian life when he was forced to resign from the Army

Odysseus
04-02-2011, 10:46 AM
There's a pretty vast, gray gulf there between someone who writes every single word on his own and edits his own work and someone who just does the writing and lets someone else put their name down as the author. Because of this, I am hesitant to outright claim that Ayers is a ghost-writer for Obama, because to me, ghost-writing is the extreme later of the above. I do, however, think that Ayers had a pretty heavy hand in the writing of Dreams, and I think that Obama doesn't want anyone to know because it would wind up showing that he's not nearly as intelligent as he's portrayed to be. Many people who are paying attention already realize that he's not a very intelligent person, but a revelation about his first autobiography not being written by him would just blow the lid off of it.

That, and because his seminal work was written by an unrepentant, ultra-leftist domestic terrorist. It would blow the lid off of his stance of moderation. Even Wei might have trouble calling him a centrist with a straight face (although he'd continue to try).