PDA

View Full Version : Millions of sites hit with mass-injection cyberattack

Gingersnap
04-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Millions of sites hit with mass-injection cyberattack

By Sarah Jacobsson Purewal
April 1, 2011 10:37 AM ET

PC World - Hundreds of thousands -- and possibly millions -- of websites have been hit with a cyberattack that some are calling "one of the biggest mass-injection attacks we've ever seen."

The attack was discovered on March 29 by security firm WebSense, and the injected domain was called lizamoon.com -- thus, the name of the mass-injection is "LizaMoon." According to WebSense, LizaMoon uses SQL Injection to add malicious script to compromised sites. While the first injected domain was lizamoon.com, additional URLs have since been injected in the attack (WebSense has a full list here).

The method of using an injected script redirects users to a rogue AV site, which tries to get people to install a fake anti-virus program called Windows Stability Center.

When WebSecurity discovered the attack on March 29, 28,000 URLs had been compromised. The number quickly grew to 226,000, including many iTunes URLs (though the malicious code is neutralized by Apple).

"The good thing is that iTunes encodes the script tags, which means that the script doesn't execute on the user's computer," WebSense security blogger Patrik Runald wrote on Tuesday, "So good job, Apple."

The number of infected sites now appears to be over 1.5 million (at the time of this blog post, a quick Google Search shows 1.53 million infected URLs) -- but WebSense is quick to point out that a Google Search is an inaccurate metric. Google search spits back unique URLs, not unique hosts. Thus, there are likely less than 1.5 million infected sites, but WebSense says it's safe to say that the number is in the hundreds of thousands.

Computer World (http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9215428/Millions_of_sites_hit_with_mass_injection_cyberatt ack)

Rockntractor
04-01-2011, 06:50 PM
We just get a couple hundred spammers from every corner of the world daily.

malloc
04-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Looks like someone is working on a shiny new bot-net.

Gingersnap
04-01-2011, 07:10 PM
If people are skating by with nothing much in the way of firewalls, now's the time to make that purchase. :(

Odysseus
04-02-2011, 04:17 PM
That virus tried to hit my computer, but I was able to shut down the window without downloading the malware. As long as you close the window and don't install the malware, you should be okay.

txradioguy
04-03-2011, 04:40 AM
That virus tried to hit my computer, but I was able to shut down the window without downloading the malware. As long as you close the window and don't install the malware, you should be okay.

Pop up blockers can help with that as well.

I also read on the MacRumors site that there was a fake website popping up for an Acrobat Pro upgrade as well.

PoliCon
04-03-2011, 11:48 AM
people get stupid when they sit in front of a computer and will click on just about anything. :(

Madisonian
04-03-2011, 04:11 PM
people get stupid when they sit in front of a computer and will click on just about anything. :(

Like this ^^^ post...:p

Bubba Dawg
04-03-2011, 04:56 PM
If people are skating by with nothing much in the way of firewalls, now's the time to make that purchase. :(

I have MacAfee. Is that okay or are there better ones?

I also wear a helmet. :cool:

RobJohnson
04-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Like this ^^^ post...:p

:D

RobJohnson
04-03-2011, 05:05 PM

I would just go with the helmet but add eye protection and scarf.

http://www.coplanet.it/forum/automark/upload_img/snoopy_pilot.jpg

fettpett
04-03-2011, 05:17 PM

eh...they are ok...AVG is free if you don't want to pay for MacAfee after it's up and is just as good if not better. there are also other anti-virus's that are free

Kay
04-03-2011, 05:18 PM
On recommendation by our IT dept at work,
I use Avast for my intarwebs prophylactics.

Odysseus
04-03-2011, 05:56 PM
I would just go with the helmet but add eye protection and scarf.
Is there a Red Baron virus?
http://www.coplanet.it/forum/automark/upload_img/snoopy_pilot.jpg

Trojans, however, are ribbed for her pleasure as well as his protection. :D

The Army has a licensing agreement with McAfee and Norton, and I've used both, but I prefer McAfee.

PoliCon
04-03-2011, 08:25 PM
AVG and the Microsoft one are great and they're FREE. McAfee and Norton are CRAP and God forbid you want to get rid of either one - they're nearly impossible to get rid of.

FlaGator
04-03-2011, 08:47 PM
I use Microsoft Security Essentials (free) and in conjunction with the Defender fire wall I have had few, if any, problems with viruses or trojans.

fettpett
04-03-2011, 08:55 PM
AVG and the Microsoft one are great and they're FREE. McAfee and Norton are CRAP and God forbid you want to get rid of either one - they're nearly impossible to get rid of.

CCleaner will get rid of it

ColonialMarine0431
04-03-2011, 09:02 PM
I use Microsoft Security Essentials (free) and in conjunction with the Defender fire wall I have had few, if any, problems with viruses or trojans.

Ditto. I also use MalwareBytes. It catches what MSE misses and is compatable with most anti-virus apps.

PoliCon
04-03-2011, 09:05 PM
CCleaner will get rid of it

When I finally ditched Norton several years ago it took over a month to finally get all of the bugs out of my system.

fettpett
04-03-2011, 09:10 PM
When I finally ditched Norton several years ago it took over a month to finally get all of the bugs out of my system.

ccleaner will not only run the uninstall (which it picks up from all programs, which is helpful when they don't show up in the start menu) but also clean out the registry which gets rid of all that BS that programs leave. I've used it for 7+ years and never had it screw up the registry

PoliCon
04-03-2011, 09:11 PM
ccleaner will not only run the uninstall (which it picks up from all programs, which is helpful when they don't show up in the start menu) but also clean out the registry which gets rid of all that BS that programs leave. I've used it for 7+ years and never had it screw up the registry

I'll keep that in mind for the next time I install some other horrific program

fettpett
04-03-2011, 09:14 PM
I'll keep that in mind for the next time I install some other horrific program

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

well worth having on your computer and to run it at lest once a month, it's "main" job is cleaning out the cashe

ColonialMarine0431
04-03-2011, 09:15 PM

What's the advantage to running ccleaner if you systematically run a defrag and disc cleaner?

fettpett
04-03-2011, 09:19 PM
What's the advantage to running ccleaner if you systematically run a defrag and disc cleaner?

neither of those clean the registry specifically. Defrag and disc cleaner are hardware, defrag moves files around so they are easier for the OS to find things, disc cleaner gets rid of unused software. Ccleaner goes into the registry of Windows and finds the little scraps of programing that the software has installed but is still there after a it's taken off.

difference between hardware and software

ColonialMarine0431
04-03-2011, 09:24 PM
neither of those clean the registry specifically. Defrag and disc cleaner are hardware, defrag moves files around so they are easier for the OS to find things, disc cleaner gets rid of unused software. Ccleaner goes into the registry of Windows and finds the little scraps of programing that the software has installed but is still there after a it's taken off.

difference between hardware and software

Gotcha. I always thought that once you did an uninstall the entire software was removed.

Thanks "Boba Fett" :D

fettpett
04-03-2011, 09:34 PM
Gotcha. I always thought that once you did an uninstall the entire software was removed.

Thanks "Boba Fett" :D

oh god no...one of the biggest problems with Windows. They were suppose to get rid of the registry with Vista and 7, but it didn't happen

MountainMan
04-03-2011, 10:21 PM
We just get a couple hundred spammers from every corner of the worldNETdaily.

fixed

PoliCon
04-03-2011, 11:45 PM
fixed

you spelled that wrong. it's n - U - t.

Rockntractor
04-04-2011, 12:05 AM
Time for another Rino romp.:rolleyes: