PDA

View Full Version : We need rainfall Most of Texas is now in a drought, thanks to La Nina

Gingersnap
04-01-2011, 07:03 PM
We need rainfall
Most of Texas is now in a drought, thanks to La Nina

By ERIC BERGER
HOUSTON CHRONICLE
April 1, 2011, 6:19AM

Forget about May flowers, Houston needs April showers to break a severe drought.

The latest report from the U.S. Drought Monitor shows 95 percent of Texas now in a drought, including Harris County. For the first time this year, a large chunk of the county's northern half is in a severe drought.

"Not since the 2005-2006 drought has so much of the state been designated as at least in a moderate drought," said John Nielsen-Gammon, the state climatologist and a atmospheric sciences professor at Texas A&M University.

For both of Houston's main weather sites, Bush Intercontinental and Hobby airports, the period since Feb. 1 has been among the five driest on record.

Forecasters had hoped a cold front that crossed the area late Tuesday and early Wednesday would combine with a moist atmosphere to produce widespread showers, but most areas got little more than scattered drops of rain.

"We just missed a good opportunity," said Gene Hafele, meteorologist-in-chief of the Houston/Galveston office of the National Weather Service.

The Houston regio]Chron[/url]n has another chance of rain early next week, with a cold front expected to cross the area late Monday or early Tuesday. The best case for the city is probably widespread showers bringing one-half to an inch of rain.

But it's entirely possible the atmosphere will inhibit significant rain ahead of the front.

[url=http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7501225.html

SarasotaRepub
04-01-2011, 10:09 PM
We have gotten over 5 inches here and some places north of us got more.

Tonight though, it's cool and dry.

Rockntractor
04-01-2011, 10:24 PM
We have gotten over 5 inches here and some places north of us got more.

Tonight though, it's cool and dry.

I planted 150 pines today and yesterday, I have fifty more to plant tomorrow.
We could use some rain to help them get started.

AmPat
04-02-2011, 05:03 PM
I planted 150 pines today and yesterday, I have fifty more to plant tomorrow.
We could use some rain to help them get started.

Hippy! What's next, chain yourself to them?

SarasotaRepub
04-02-2011, 10:31 PM

LOL!!!!:D

Rockntractor
04-02-2011, 10:33 PM

I should have, I rolled down the hill and broke my thumbnail when I only had ten left to plant!:mad:

Kay
04-02-2011, 11:57 PM

No he'll just plant and grow them so he can then viscously knock them
down later with his big bulldozer just so he can hear the trees crying.
He's an evil capitalist foe of the earth tree killer. :p

Kay
04-04-2011, 12:14 AM
I nearly caught on fire this afternoon. I went out for a while and when I opened the front door, it was like someone stuck a blow dryer down my throat. It was 97 degrees and hot winds here today. At first I thought I was seeing some nice clouds gathering, but then I realized it was big puffs of white hot smoke. Over 2500 acres burned just southwest of town. I thought about this thread. Definitely drought conditions here.

This article about the fires says its been our driest 6 months on record since the 1930s.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/mywesttexas.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/0/31/d57/031d5750-5e70-11e0-89bf-001cc4c03286-revisions/4d99424a7d6c7.preview-300.jpg

http://www.mywesttexas.com/top_stories/article_972e8dbb-e256-5500-8dc1-38f29fef7fcb.html#axzz1IFR53YY1

Rockntractor
04-04-2011, 12:43 AM
I nearly caught on fire this afternoon. I went out for a while and when I opened the front door, it was like someone stuck a blow dryer down my throat. It was 97 degrees and hot winds here today. At first I thought I was seeing some nice clouds gathering, but then I realized it was big puffs of white hot smoke. Over 2500 acres burned just southwest of town. I thought about this thread. Definitely drought conditions here.

This article about the fires says its been our driest 6 months on record since the 1930s.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/mywesttexas.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/0/31/d57/031d5750-5e70-11e0-89bf-001cc4c03286-revisions/4d99424a7d6c7.preview-300.jpg

http://www.mywesttexas.com/top_stories/article_972e8dbb-e256-5500-8dc1-38f29fef7fcb.html#axzz1IFR53YY1

Quit sending all that smoke up here!:mad:

AmPat
04-04-2011, 10:39 AM
We've still got idiot smokers throwing their brains,,err, I mean Butts out the car windows. One morning( with three active wildfires) on the way to work, I witnessed a female Soldier throw a lit butt out her car window. I followed her to work and asked her if she really was that stupid?:mad:

Starbuck
04-04-2011, 01:11 PM

This article about the fires says its been our driest 6 months on record since the 1930s......

We lived in Texas for about 8 years - Mineral Wells, Arlington - and we could never tell if there was a drought or not except by watching TV. From Ft Worth west it, like, NEVER rained during the summer. And my trips out to Big Spring and Midland! I have rarely experienced such relentless wind! If Y'ALL are complaining about it being dry, it must be shore-nuff DRY!:eek:

Pulpfishin
04-05-2011, 12:51 PM
I guess I must admit to this drought being my fault, and we'll start calling it "man made Texas precipitation change"!:eek:

You see, approximately 10 days ago I finished digging out my 2.5 acre lake that will be the centerpiece of my soon to be home in Cut and Shoot Texas.

As it required a HUGE amount of fossil fuels, the removal of several HUNDRED trees, and a catastrophic amount of CO2 and smoke from burning said trees, I’m certain I have created an adverse impact on the regions climate that resulted in reduced rainfall.

I have tried to mitigate my impact by washing my car every day since I completed the project, because everyone knows 9 out of 10 climatologist and 8 out of ten Cosmetologists will tell you it will rain if you wash your car or have your hair done.
Seeing as I am follicularly challenged and suffer from comb-free syndrome (BALD!) the second option was not feasible.

(Not exactly the truth, as I really just want the “hole” filled with water so I can stock it with fish!)

After reading this article I have realized the error of my ways, but I still have approximately 75–100 trees left to remove on the property, and seeing as they are 90% Oak, I intend on implementing a transplant program.

(I’m going to cut them into 18 inch logs and “transplant” them into my fireplace!)

I would like to extend my most sincere apologies to everyone affected by this change in the precipitation patterns, and beg you not to file suit against me for damages, or to have me declared “regulated” by the EPA.