PDA

View Full Version : Census worker won't take no for answer

megimoo
04-02-2011, 12:32 AM
Couple says questions too personal, threatened with fine if don't comply

The first few requests were tolerable. A Census Bureau worker would knock on John and Beverly Scott's door and ask them to fill out an American Community Survey. The McKinley Park couple would politely decline.

But as the days passed, the visits became more frequent and the requests more urgent.

Some evenings, the doorbell would ring at dinnertime, then again at 10 p.m.

"I'm generally a nice guy. I didn't want to shut the door in her face," John Scott said. "I said, 'I'm not going to answer your questions.' She kept saying, 'You've got to, you've got to.' I shut the door, and she kept ringing the doorbell and tapping on the window."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/problemsolver/ct-biz-0401-problem-scott-20110401,0,2915699.column

Rockntractor
04-02-2011, 12:38 AM
I thought the census was way back in ought nine!:confused:

megimoo
04-02-2011, 12:43 AM

The Problem Solver called Jack Walsh, survey supervisor with the American Community Survey's Chicago regional office. Walsh said the survey is required by law and helps determine such things as the Consumer Price Index and how federal funding is allocated.

Rockntractor
04-02-2011, 01:04 AM
The Problem Solver called Jack Walsh, survey supervisor with the American Community Survey's Chicago regional office. Walsh said the survey is required by law and helps determine such things as the Consumer Price Index and how federal funding is allocated.

Federal funding is allocated to whoever helped pay to get you elected.:confused:

megimoo
04-02-2011, 01:11 AM
Federal funding is allocated to whoever helped pay to get you elected.:confused:To the victor.....

Novaheart
04-02-2011, 01:14 AM

I started getting calls from the Census, somewhere in Maryland, about three weeks ago. I ignored the calls, because they don't come through with an ID,just the number. So I would go online to see "who called".

Finally, Saturday morning (while still in bed due to my erratic work, sleep, and family schedule) I answered the phone when I saw the Maryland area code.

The guy talks to me and asks me my birth date, and something else I didn't really mind giving him. But I'm also on the edge of annoyance, because the Census harassed me in the original run even though I had sent the forms in. So then he asks me if I still live at 1234 Paradise Palms Blvd, and I now know that he has the wrong Novaheart. So I tell him that he has the wrong Novaheart. He asks to verify that my middle initial is Z, and I tell him no, that he has the other Novaheart, someone I have known for years only because I get his mail... in three different cities in which we both just happened to turn up. In San Francisco, we lived three blocks from each other. In DC, he lived in Arlington and I in Springfield.

So Census boy says, "Well, you could be the correct one." I say no, that I have answered enough questions. "Well sir, let me tell you what we're doing. We're doing a surbey of college graduates that...." Well, that's when I blew my top. I told him that the purpose of the census was apportionment and military readiness, take me out of the system, and leave me alone. And I clicked off.

Madisonian
04-02-2011, 10:34 PM
I got the ACS and I don't think they will like some of the answers.

The whole survey is BS from beginning to end.

It is none of the gubbermints business how many cars I have, what time I leave for work, what I do for a living, what my ancestry is or any of the other intrusive questions they as on the 28 pages of crap.

I do have a few suggestions however...

There are barcodes on every page of the survey. A black pen does wonders for filling in between the lines here and there.

My race and ethnicity is American. So is my wife.
My most important activity or duty is Lunch. (Question 46)
How did I get to work last week? Other, usually late. (Question 31)
I work for VRWC (Question 42)
I usually work 192 hours per week. That would be 8 days a week (Question 40)

I left all the income fields blank.