PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin’s Chief Injustice

megimoo
04-02-2011, 08:02 AM
On the homepage, I profile Shirley Abrahamson, chief justice of Wisconsin’s supreme court. From all appearances, she’s an activist judge par excellence.

Besides arrogating to the court legislative powers, she’s trying to unseat her conservative colleague, Justice David Prosser, so her former intern, JoAnne Kloppenburg, can secure a liberal majority on the court, a source tells me.

Here’s the lede: Atop Wisconsin’s supreme court sits Chief Justice Shirley Abrahamson. And an unhappy chief is she. Conservatives outnumber liberals on the court by four to three, forcing Abrahamson to dissent in 37 percent of the cases during the 2009–10 term.

" New York Liberal:
Abrahamson was born and raised in New York City, where she attended Hunter College High School.She earned an A.B. magna cum laude from New York University in 1953, a J.D. with high distinction from Indiana University Law School in 1956, and an S.J.D. in American legal history from the University of Wisconsin Law School in 1962."

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/263711/wisconsins-chief-injustice-brian-bolduc
COMMENTS:

I'm not a big fan of the concept of actual revolution, but if it happens it won't be because of "out of control" legislators or executives (governors) - they are easy enough to "rectify" via the electoral process.

It will be because of pinhead judges incapable of, um, judging the cases before them based upon the law, as written.

There is so often little recourse when dealing with the judiciary. The voters are usually powerless.

Every time I vote, I vote to fire every judge on the ballot. That's only because I know that it just doesn't make a difference. Judicial races are almost always under the radar and, unless a particular judge has done something outrageous enough to actually draw media coverage, they won't get voted off the island.

fettpett
04-02-2011, 08:43 AM
In 2005 this woman prosecuted an 80 year old dude for not putting the "right" grass on his property. The DNR wanted him to put marsh grass of some kind on the land to stop run off. he fought it, eventually he lost being ordered to pay $5,000 to get it reseeded, but he didn't do it. In 2009 she took him back to court to have his bank account garnished 2 MONTHS after he had a heart attack! the Judge garnished his bank account.

megimoo
04-02-2011, 11:49 AM
In 2005 this woman prosecuted an 80 year old dude for not putting the "right" grass on his property. The DNR wanted him to put marsh grass of some kind on the land to stop run off. he fought it, eventually he lost being ordered to pay $5,000 to get it reseeded, but he didn't do it. In 2009 she took him back to court to have his bank account garnished 2 MONTHS after he had a heart attack! the Judge garnished his bank account...Power Mad Liberal Bitch !

Novaheart
04-02-2011, 12:07 PM
Besides arrogating to the court legislative powers, she’s trying to unseat her conservative colleague, Justice David Prosser, so her former intern, JoAnne Kloppenburg, can secure a liberal majority on the court, a source tells me. ..

"... a source tells me"? There isn't any secrecy about it, Prosser is facing an election on April 5 and Kloppenburg is running against him. Nothing nefarious there and even less that's surprising when you consider that Prosser called Abrahmson a "total bitch" and said, "I will destroy you."

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/118310479.html

Novaheart
04-02-2011, 12:16 PM
In 2005 this woman prosecuted an 80 year old dude for not putting the "right" grass on his property. The DNR wanted him to put marsh grass of some kind on the land to stop run off. he fought it, eventually he lost being ordered to pay $5,000 to get it reseeded, but he didn't do it. In 2009 she took him back to court to have his bank account garnished 2 MONTHS after he had a heart attack! the Judge garnished his bank account.

That's a tad simplistic and misleading.

http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/statements/2011/apr/01/citizens-strong-america/ad-says-joanne-kloppenburg-jailed-80-year-old-farm/

AmPat
04-02-2011, 04:39 PM
Every time I vote, I vote to fire every judge on the ballot. That's only because I know that it just doesn't make a difference. Judicial races are almost always under the radar and, unless a particular judge has done something outrageous enough to actually draw media coverage, they won't get voted off the island.
Not likely. If they are so bad as to legislate from the bench, they are liberals. The media will not attack and expose their own.

fettpett
04-02-2011, 07:01 PM

http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/statements/2011/apr/01/citizens-strong-america/ad-says-joanne-kloppenburg-jailed-80-year-old-farm/

I was going off what I remembered (I think) Charlie Sykes talking about it.

PoliCon
04-02-2011, 10:23 PM

seems to me like a sovereign citizen resents being told what to do with his own land and the courts instead of upholding his rights as a sovereign citizen instead chose to meddle in and infringe upon his rights. OH NOES! dirt is being washed into a swamp! It's the end of the world!!1!:rolleyes:

fettpett
04-02-2011, 11:24 PM
seems to me like a sovereign citizen resents being told what to do with his own land and the courts instead of upholding his rights as a sovereign citizen instead chose to meddle in and infringe upon his rights. OH NOES! dirt is being washed into a swamp! It's the end of the world!!1!:rolleyes:

kinda what I was thinking too...She didn't push to put him in jail (according to PoliFact) but still pushed the case when he didn't comply to take his money for something the DNR did on a Court order