PDA

View Full Version : Ten dead in Afghan Koran burning protests

Phillygirl
04-02-2011, 01:05 PM
KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (Reuters) - At least 10 people have been killed and 83 wounded in the southern Afghan city of Kandahar, officials said on Saturday, on a second day of violent protests over the burning of a Koran by a radical fundamentalist Christian in the United States.

A suicide attack also hit a NATO military base in the capital Kabul, the day after protesters over-ran a U.N. mission in the northern city of Mazar-i-Sharif and killed seven foreign staff, in the deadliest attack on the UN in Afghanistan.

Some protesters in Kandahar carried white Taliban flags and shouted slogans including "long live the Taliban" and "death to America." In rioting that lasted hours, they smashed shops, burned tires and vandalized a girl's high school.

Two of the dead were Afghan policemen, an official said.

The violence is the worst in Afghanistan for months, and comes as the country gears up for the first stage of a years-long security handover to Afghan troops, and after the commander of U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan, General David Petraeus, delivered an optimistic assessment of progress in the war.

The attacks were driven by anger at the actions of extremist Christian preacher Terry Jones who supervised the burning of the Koran in front of about 50 people at a church in Florida on March 20, according to his website.

The burning initially passed relatively unnoticed in Afghanistan, but after criticism from President Hamid Karzai, and calls for justice during Friday sermons, thousands poured into the streets in several cities to denounce Jones this weekend.

Afghan and U.N. officials suggested provocateurs had sabotaged peaceful protests. Marches in Kabul, western Herat city and northern Tahar province ended without violence.

But the Taliban denied any role in the Mazar attack or Kandahar protests and analysts warned against underestimating the depth of anti-Western sentiment in much of Afghanistan, after years of military presence and many civilian casualties.

"Insurgent provocation is not necessary for things like (the U.N. attack) to happen, because indeed the mood and atmosphere in a large part of the population is like this," said Thomas Ruttig, co-director of the Afghanistan Analysts Network.

"Anger over foreigners in general, which has probably spread from the military to NGOs and the U.N. and other actors, just needs a little spark and things can be set alight."

Link (http://ca.news.yahoo.com/burkha-clad-insurgents-attack-kabul-both-killed-20110402-001013-351.html)

I hope that TRG is safe.

FlaGator
04-02-2011, 03:04 PM
Same here. The religion of peace strikes again. Kill a bunch of people who didn't burn a Koran because someone else did. Hmmmm... could it be the religion of Satan?

Phillygirl
04-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Same here. The religion of peace strikes again. Kill a bunch of people who didn't burn a Koran because someone else did. Hmmmm... could it be the religion of Satan?

I also think the pastor in Fla who did that is an asshole. It's no excuse for what these people are doing, but there's also no reason to wave a red flag in front of a rabid hyena.

FlaGator
04-02-2011, 03:47 PM
I also think the pastor in Fla who did that is an asshole. It's no excuse for what these people are doing, but there's also no reason to wave a red flag in front of a rabid hyena.

You are right. The general procedure is to shoot a rapid hyena on sight. ;)

I tend to agree not to rile the natives, but now we are verging on "she dressed like a slut so she got what she deserved" ideology.

Phillygirl
04-02-2011, 04:07 PM
You are right. The general procedure is to shoot a rapid hyena on sight. ;)

I tend to agree not to rile the natives, but now we are verging on "she dressed like a slut so she got what she deserved" ideology.

No, again, I don't excuse what they did. But I also don't excuse what he is doing. There is nothing in the name of religion that requires him to do that. He's nothing but a publicity seeking jackhole. I'd have more respect if he actually went over there and burned the Koran in front of them so that he could suffer the ridiculous consequences, rather than the innocents that we have over there.

FlaGator
04-02-2011, 04:45 PM
No, again, I don't excuse what they did. But I also don't excuse what he is doing. There is nothing in the name of religion that requires him to do that. He's nothing but a publicity seeking jackhole. I'd have more respect if he actually went over there and burned the Koran in front of them so that he could suffer the ridiculous consequences, rather than the innocents that we have over there.

I feel that what he did was just plain nasty, unprincipled and definitely un-Christian.

With that said, what he did was a perfectly legal act and a person should not have to fear for their lives for doing something that may be stupid but is legal. By that same token, people who are in no way related to the act and probably abhor it as much as we do shouldn't have to worry about being killed because someone else is a self-centered cretin.

I hope that you are not suggesting that Americans should refrain from acting on their views, no matter how stupid, because someone else might take offense. Personally I wouldn't burn a Koran because I respect those who see it as a holy book. I will, however, voice my opinion about what I've come to view as a counterfeit religion and no one, including me should have to die because of the way I feel and the way I choose to express myself.

Edmund Burke summed things up best when he said 'All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.' If people sit around fearful of saying anything about Islam because bad things may happen to innocent people we might as well all go out and buy our prayer rugs and figure out which direction Mecca is because the enemy will have already won.

AmPat
04-02-2011, 05:00 PM

OOPS, there it is.

A "Religion" (cult), founded by a seizure prone, syphilitic pedophile who screwed his 8 year old wife and also married his older aunt, who also saw (convenient story) visions while sequestered in a cave. A founder who spread his religion under threat of death and outright warfare.

Rockntractor
04-02-2011, 05:36 PM
I don't understand why when Muslims kill and commit atrocities there is always some leftist that wants to lay the blame on Americans.

Phillygirl
04-02-2011, 05:55 PM
I feel that what he did was just plain nasty, unprincipled and definitely un-Christian.

With that said, what he did was a perfectly legal act and a person should not have to fear for their lives for doing something that may be stupid but is legal. By that same token, people who are in no way related to the act and probably abhor it as much as we do shouldn't have to worry about being killed because someone else is a self-centered cretin.

I hope that you are not suggesting that Americans should refrain from acting on their views, no matter how stupid, because someone else might take offense. Personally I wouldn't burn a Koran because I respect those who see it as a holy book. I will, however, voice my opinion about what I've come to view as a counterfeit religion and no one, including me should have to die because of the way I feel and the way I choose to express myself.

Edmund Burke summed things up best when he said 'All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.' If people sit around fearful of saying anything about Islam because bad things may happen to innocent people we might as well all go out and buy our prayer rugs and figure out which direction Mecca is because the enemy will have already won.
In this instance I am suggesting that americans refrain from certain publicity stunts because other americanns may get killed. I don't really buy the excuse that they are offended. They just want to use their religion to justify their murderous ways. But again, its not the koran burners that face the wrath of the murdering thugs, it's innocents. That is my objection to public dislays of stupidity.

FlaGator
04-02-2011, 06:00 PM
In this instance I am suggesting that americans refrain from certain publicity stunts because other americanns may get killed. I don't really buy the excuse that they are offended. They just want to use their religion to justify their murderous ways. But again, its not the koran burners that face the wrath of the murdering thugs, it's innocents. That is my objection to public dislays of stupidity.

People have been behaving stupidly since time out of mind. I don't think they will stop just because it upsets some Muslims.

At any rate, you don't stop murderers by eliminating their excuses to murder.

Rockntractor
04-03-2011, 03:02 AM
bump for radioman

namvet
04-03-2011, 09:09 AM
Muslims will NEVER make any contributions to humanity or society. they have the brain of cockroach

ironhorsedriver
04-03-2011, 10:55 AM
Where was all this outrage when the Buddha's in Afghanistan where destroyed? How about when Christians where beaten or killed for being Christian? Be headings, gang rapes, forced marriages, etc?
Yep, they are a true benevolent religion. If the evil ones are the minority, where is the outrage and the "Good" ones at? They apparently could stop this, but they don't.

PoliCon
04-03-2011, 10:59 AM
I guess Allah isn't big enough to defend himself and need these idiots to go ape shit to make it all better. :rolleyes:

namvet
04-03-2011, 11:10 AM
the cure is a bullet right thru they're heads

txradioguy
04-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Link (http://ca.news.yahoo.com/burkha-clad-insurgents-attack-kabul-both-killed-20110402-001013-351.html)

I hope that TRG is safe.

Thank you. :)

I'm good. Uruzgan has been quiet...so far. The protests have mainly been to the north towards Kabul and south towards kandahar.

obx
04-03-2011, 11:33 AM
This "outrage about the burning " nonsense cracks me up, especially when it comes from Americans. To burn a Koran is a "hate crime" but to place a crucifix in a glass of piss is "art"? Maybe if he had burned it in fornt of the MOMA he would have received a government grant. Give me a break.

Kay
04-03-2011, 01:07 PM
the cure is a bullet right thru they're heads

Exactly.
Instead of burning the book, burn the book carriers.

Phillygirl
04-03-2011, 01:27 PM
This "outrage about the burning " nonsense cracks me up, especially when it comes from Americans. To burn a Koran is a "hate crime" but to place a crucifix in a glass of piss is "art"? Maybe if he had burned it in fornt of the MOMA he would have received a government grant. Give me a break.

Just to be clear, I don't believe burning the Koran is a "hate crime". I don't think there should be any law stopping it. I do, however, think that when we have soldiers and civilians in a war zone where those types of actions are viewed by delirious people as yet another reason to strike against our citizens, then common sense says to keep it cool for now, particularly when there is no valid or rational reason for the burning. The "pastor" is just another asshole perverting his religion in order to gain media attention. Unfortunately, his asshole actions have consequences to other people.

namvet
04-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Exactly.
Instead of burning the book, burn the book carriers.

I love the smell of burning muslims on a grill

FlaGator
04-03-2011, 01:46 PM
I guess Allah isn't big enough to defend himself and need these idiots to go ape shit to make it all better. :rolleyes:

And he doesn't think to much of his followers either. The women are all potential whores and the men can't control themselves when they see any female skin. At least that is the impression I get.

AmPat
04-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Just to be clear, I don't believe burning the Koran is a "hate crime". I don't think there should be any law stopping it. I do, however, think that when we have soldiers and civilians in a war zone where those types of actions are viewed by delirious people as yet another reason to strike against our citizens, then common sense says to keep it cool for now, particularly when there is no valid or rational reason for the burning. The "pastor" is just another asshole perverting his religion in order to gain media attention. Unfortunately, his asshole actions have consequences to other people.

Or;

Better the enemy you see. If something as simple as burning a book ignites these idiots, then I want to see them. Flush out the sewage wherever it is hiding. If they wish to scream Moon god Akbar, good. It draws my attention and our Soldier's fire.:cool:

AmPat
04-03-2011, 03:06 PM
And he doesn't think to much of his followers either. The women are all potential whores and the men can't control themselves when they see any female skin. At least that is the impression I get.

Or young boys.:cool:

Rockntractor
04-03-2011, 03:22 PM

Until recently I would have agreed with you but I don't think it makes any difference with these animals, they have an agenda. We did nothing to justify them murdering the Israeli family including a baby and then partying in the streets handing out candy to celebrate.

Phillygirl
04-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Or;

Better the enemy you see. If something as simple as burning a book ignites these idiots, then I want to see them. Flush out the sewage wherever it is hiding. If they wish to scream Moon god Akbar, good. It draws my attention and our Soldier's fire.:cool:

That too. I'm a bit sensitive to the issue as I have a friend there, with no weapons to draw, usually. Although her usual proximity to special forces guys makes me feel a bit better...

So strange to have pictures of her in a bullet proof vest as well as a hijab...she looks better in the bullet proof vest! :D

Novaheart
04-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Oddly, my first impulse upon reading about these Islamic idiots was to go find some and piss them off.

Madisonian
04-03-2011, 05:50 PM

Smells kinda like bacon, don't it?

FlaGator
04-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Smells kinda like bacon, don't it?

I have been advocating the carpet bombing of Iran and Afghanistan with bacon bits but no one seems to take the idea seriously.

AmPat
04-03-2011, 09:13 PM
I have been advocating the carpet bombing of Iran and Afghanistan with bacon bits but no one seems to take the idea seriously.

Simple. Bacon bits are particulate and has limited scatter property. Now liquefied pork fat would cover more and adhere to the islamocultists.

Speedy
04-03-2011, 11:12 PM
I, for one, make no bones about my sincere and heartfelt belief that being from America, I am better than anyone else from other countries. Save for a few exceptions like Brits or Aussies or Kiwis.

When I was in grade school I was taught that America is the greatest country in the world and being born an American was one of the greatest things that could ever happen to you and that you were fortunate to call yourself an American. Not only that but in Texas we were immersed in Texas History. We knew about Goliad, San Jacinto and revered those that died at the Alamo. We sang "The Yellow Rose of Texas" right after the Pledge of Allegiance. It was a point of pride to be an American and a Texan. I believe it to this day.

What I feel, what I believe is not subject to the approval of anybody and I will not hold what I want to say just because some thinskinned, pantywaisted schmuck might take offense. If a hellbound, pedophile worshipping asshat takes offense that I say that Muhhamed can eat the dingleberries out of my ass, he is welcomed to let me know.

txradioguy
04-04-2011, 01:15 AM
Oddly, my first impulse upon reading about these Islamic idiots was to go find some and piss them off.

It doesn't take much. They'll protest two year old Koran burnings that didn't happen.

That was a report we got yeaterday. IN helmand they gathered to protest the 2 year "anniversiary" of a Koran burning that was proven to have never happened...just Taliban propaganda.

Just the rumor of someone looking sideways at the Holy Koran is enough to set them off.

Apocalypse
04-04-2011, 01:17 AM
I think YAAFM #12 sums it up nicely. Bit older from the cartoon mess, but the one part I think fits.

http://www.zipperfish.com/zf-toons/yaafm-12-muslims/

But on the news coverage of it.

Aljazeera on the day this exploded only reported 5 people died.

english.aljazeera.net/news/asia/2011/04/2011427141984268.html

Meanwhile

Reuters two days earlier had reported;

(Reuters) – Three suicide bombers killed 24 people and wounded dozens more in an attack on a construction firm in Afghanistan’s restive southeast,

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/03/28/uk-afghanistan-attack-idUKTRE72R23720110328

So far 6 U.S. troops from Ft. Campbell were killed. Heres a challenge for you all, find a news article from CNN/MSNBC/ABC/CBS or any other major news outlet about those 6 soldiers that were killed in the protest.

Then you have our idiot in chief.

BBC: Afghanistan: Obama condemns killings of UN staff
2 April 2011

Mr Obama said the desecration of any holy text was “an act of extreme intolerance and bigotry”, but it did not justify killing innocent people.

“No religion tolerates the slaughter and beheading of innocent people, and there is no justification for such a dishonourable and deplorable act.”

Earlier, the head of the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (Unama), Staffan de Mistura, said during a visit to Mazar-e Sharif that the only person who could be blamed for the violence was the American pastor.

“I don’t think we should be blaming any Afghan. We should be blaming the person who produced the news – the one who burned the Koran. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from offending culture, religion, traditions.”

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-12949302

So Obama miss where the UN is saying the acts of violence is acceptable from the Muslims while demanding punishment of the pastor.

Meanwhile BBC calls hundreds of muslim afghan protesters blocking street burning effigy of Obama and chanting for U.S. Soldiers to go home as “peacefully” protesting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-12949975

Arroyo_Doble
04-04-2011, 10:09 AM
“I don’t think we should be blaming any Afghan. We should be blaming the person who produced the news – the one who burned the Koran. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from offending culture, religion, traditions.”

You don't wave a red flag in front of a bull.

But a bull isn't sentient. People are. They choose to act and those who participated in the killing of others cannot blame anyone for their actions. Least of all some douchebag from Florida.

AmPat
04-04-2011, 10:27 AM

You don't wave a red flag in front of a bull.

But a bull isn't sentient. People are. They choose to act and those who participated in the killing of others cannot blame anyone for their actions. Least of all some douchebag from Florida.

Does that include burning our flag, showing Jesus covered in filth, or stealing honor by wearing medals not earned. Seems to me that the only time liberals are rabid free speech advocates is when it is covering Jackasses and their Jackassery.:rolleyes:

Arroyo_Doble
04-04-2011, 10:39 AM
Does that include burning our flag, showing Jesus covered in filth, or stealing honor by wearing medals not earned.

Yes, I suppose. I am not sure what you are asking or if you are even asking a question at all since you did not use an eroteme.

Seems to me that the only time liberals are rabid free speech advocates is when it is covering Jackasses and their Jackassery.:rolleyes:

I find that free speech advocates cross ideological boundries and as far as defending Jackassery, that is usually what needs defending. No one really gives a crap what you had for breakfast.

AmPat
04-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Yes, I suppose. I am not sure what you are asking or if you are even asking a question at all since you did not use an eroteme.

I find that free speech advocates cross ideological boundries and as far as defending Jackassery, that is usually what needs defending. No one really gives a crap what you had for breakfast.

?
Feel better Linda?
What has my breakfast to do with the post?:cool:

Gingersnap
04-04-2011, 11:13 AM
That too. I'm a bit sensitive to the issue as I have a friend there, with no weapons to draw, usually. Although her usual proximity to special forces guys makes me feel a bit better...

So strange to have pictures of her in a bullet proof vest as well as a hijab...she looks better in the bullet proof vest! :D

The problem is that simply leaving their holy book alone is never enough. Now female soldiers are being offered a head covering and being strongly urged to wear it on duty in certain places. What possible reason could there be for this? Their helmets already cover their hair. It has nothing to do with really "respecting" any cultural conventions and everything to do with appeasement. Even "respecting" cultural conventions has limits. We don't respect wife-beaters, pedophiles, forced marriage, female genital mutilation, or slavery yet these things are culturally intertwined with Islam in many places.

American clergy have a long and colorful history of burning books, records, miniskirts, and porn as well as dumping booze on the ground and burning drug paraphernalia. These are cultural morality plays.

If we really wanted to follow the maxim that we shouldn't do something because American lives might be at risk, then we shouldn't be there at all. There certainly shouldn't be any American women there. We shouldn't offer bacon or Bibles to our troops. The Command should go through every soldier's personal belongings and get rid of any porn, alcohol, and reading material critical of Islam as well as any items that are Christian in nature: crosses, prayer books, rosaries, etc.

While I wouldn't encourage anyone to burn a book, I wouldn't fault them for abiding by our own laws and cultural norms. The world is full of cultural offense and we all know about it now thanks to YouTube. The Muslims can't un-ring that bell so they'd better learn some tolerance.

lacarnut
04-04-2011, 11:45 AM
If we really wanted to follow the maxim that we shouldn't do something because American lives might be at risk, then we shouldn't be there at all. There certainly shouldn't be any American women there. We shouldn't offer bacon or Bibles to our troops. The Command should go through every soldier's personal belongings and get rid of any porn, alcohol, and reading material critical of Islam as well as any items that are Christian in nature: crosses, prayer books, rosaries, etc.

While I wouldn't encourage anyone to burn a book, I wouldn't fault them for abiding by our own laws and cultural norms. The world is full of cultural offense and we all know about it now thanks to YouTube. The Muslims can't un-ring that bell so they'd better learn some tolerance.

We have been in those shit hole countries for 9 years. There are many in that part of the world that do not like us. If we spent trillions to re build their country, that would not change one iota. We need to get out. These savages do not appreciate what we have done for them. We are fighting a war we can not win, and we should never start one unless our goal is victory. Bring our boys home and nuke Iran and any other M.E. country that wants to destroy us.

JB
04-04-2011, 05:53 PM
...Welcome back dude.

/end threadjack

Odysseus
04-06-2011, 01:52 PM
I don't understand why when Muslims kill and commit atrocities there is always some leftist that wants to lay the blame on Americans.
Because they hate America.

Thank you. :)

I'm good. Uruzgan has been quiet...so far. The protests have mainly been to the north towards Kabul and south towards kandahar.
Keep your head down, troop. :D

Smells like... Victory.

Just tell them your sexual orientation. But bring a weapon, and be prepared to use it in self defense if you do.